inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's With Comedy Central?

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:03 pm

Why oh why did they replace SNL with Mad TV?  It's not nearly as funny, and as far as I'm concerned, Mad TV had only one good sketch.. the "Hi, I'm Kenny Rogers, and this is Jackass" one.. anyone know any TV stations still running Saturday Night Live? ???

Subject: Re: What's With Comedy Central?

Written By: Koop on 07/15/04 at 10:06 pm

I've been wondering the same thing.  At the beginning of this year, E! was supposed to have all of the SNL episodes (from the beginning to the present) but for some reason, they stopped showing them altogether.  I wish that some channel would show them again.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:11 pm

Maybe if CC would stop showing the same, what, six or seven movies all the time, they would have room for more SNL episodes. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/04 at 10:17 pm

I don't mind Mad TV,  but I hate:
1. Crank Yankers
2. The Man Show
3. The Graham Norton Effect
4. Whose Line is it Anyway? (Is that one even still on?)
5. most of the movies they feature
6. Premium Blend (or whatever they're calling their DUMB stand up comedy shorts)

I'm getting sick of:
Tough Crowd (same sh*tty comics, same sh*tty topics recycled)

Favorites:
1. The Daily Show
2. Reno 911
3. South Park
4. Trigger Happy TV

Overall, I guess I'm not a big fan of Comedy Central!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:28 pm

1. Crank Yankers
2. The Man Show
6. Premium Blend (or whatever they're calling their DUMB stand up comedy shorts)

I'm getting sick of:

Favorites:
1. The Daily Show
2. Reno 911
3. South Park
4. Trigger Happy TV

I love Whose lLine!  And I watch Crank Yankers on occasion.  Premium Blend is dumb, I agree.  TH TV is pretty good, although I don't watch it much.. same with the Daily Show.

I guess I watched CC a lot more when the aired SNL. :(

By the way, Maxwell Smart, you didn't mention Chapelle's Show on your list.  What do you think of that? ???
I'm not a fan.  Dave Chapelle is annoying and his sketches are overrated IMO.  I enjoy the show on occasion; but when people quote his show all the freakin' time, I lose interest. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/04 at 12:50 am

By the way, Maxwell Smart, you didn't mention Chapelle's Show on your list.  What do you think of that? ???
I'm not a fan.  Dave Chapelle is annoying and his sketches are overrated IMO.  I enjoy the show on occasion; but when people quote his show all the freakin' time, I lose interest. :P

I find Chapelle is 50/50.  Some of his stuff is hilarious, some is dumb.  He's not a comic genius by my standards, but he's soooo much better than bimbos like Graham Norton and has-beens like Gary Busey, that he's superior by default.

They have this new parody of a pundit show called "Crossballs,"  you know, a cross between "Crossfire" and "Hardball."  The thing is, if you actually watch those pundit shout shows, you quickly realize a parody is impossible!

Written By: My name is Kenny on 07/16/04 at 1:08 am

Dave Chappelle is brilliant, and getting more consistent as time goes by.

They don't show SNL on Comedy Central anymore probably because they decided that they had become played out because of endless reruns.  Once they play out MadTV, they'll probably go back.

They don't play SNL on E! because E! sucks.  Also, I hear there was some kind of syndication contract dispute.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/16/04 at 7:23 am

Love Dave Chapelle, I can handle Whose Line when there is nothing else on, Graham Norton sux, Mad TV is almost painful to watch, Daily Show is great, but I cannot STAND Reno 911 ::) 

I miss the old SNL shows :(  And I could have sworn I just watched one on E! recently ???

Written By: Cheetara on 07/16/04 at 10:41 am

Yes, I miss the old SNL episodes. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/16/04 at 12:43 pm

I miss the old SNL shows :(  And I could have sworn I just watched one on E! recently ???

It seems to me I have seen them on E! also.

I watch CC when they have stand up comedians on.  I can't stand MAD TV and refuse to watch it.

Written By: nally on 08/06/04 at 5:21 pm

I love Whose Line!

Me too... Comedy Central airs the British version weekday afternoons at 2:00 (Pacific time). But I like the American version better; lately I've been staying up late to watch it on ABC Family.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/06/04 at 5:49 pm

Dave Chappelle is funny as hell. If you don't get it, then the show's not for you....period, especially if you find Whose Line funny anyway. Crank Yankers was funny for a while. South Park is great. Graham Norton sucks bad! Tough Crowd can be both funny and annoying at the same time.

SNL episodes are only funny from 1975 to about 1992. After that, they suck! Mad TV was funny the first three seasons, then they went down with the cast changes.

Tanya

Written By: Koop on 08/06/04 at 9:46 pm

It seems to me I have seen them on E! also.

SNL is coming back to E! on Monday.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/04 at 10:52 am

You ever noticed that MAD Tv is getting a little risque lately? And also the way they poke fun of actors and actresses such as Bill Clinton:

http://www.madtv.com/html/200/images/bill_08.jpg

Howard

Written By: DaChazman on 08/07/04 at 12:10 pm

1. Crank Yankers
2. The Man Show

I'm getting sick of:

Favorites:
1. The Daily Show
2. Reno 911
3. South Park
4. Trigger Happy TV

I like Crank Yankers. Anyways, I was mad last night because they replaced South Park with some comedian show. DARN YOU COMEDY CENTRAL!!! >:(

Written By: Poultrygeist on 08/07/04 at 12:18 pm

I have to say that the only reason I tune into CC anymore is just to catch the Chapelle Show, but not enough to plan my day around that’s for sure.

I grew up watching actors like Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, who seemed less afraid to be silly than a lot of the actors that are on SNL now-a-days. I appreciate the more current SNL, but more for the nostalgia.

In the Chapelle show, I get the same sense of the comedian with the ability to let his-self sink into the character without reservation, as I did with Chris Farley. All the rest I’m either burned out and bored or not interested.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/05 at 12:32 pm

I don't know what's with Comedy Central these days and MAD TV.The other day I heard one of the actors "Michael McDonald" say "gorgeous vagina" when he was in the doctor's office with the nurse and in another sketch there were penis references and a lot of toilet humor.Maybe MAD TV is growing up after 10 years. ::)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 12:47 pm

My favorite Comedy Central shows are:

1)  South Park
2)  Reno 911
3)  Daily Show With Jon Stewart
4)  The Dave Chappell Show

We get Comedy Network up here in Canada, my favorite shows on that network are Corner Gas and Puppets Who Kill.

Check for new replies or respond here...