inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Martha Stewart is going to the slammer.....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 5:52 pm

Yep...she's going to jail. I can just see it now,her accessorizing her prison cell with the latest in home fashions...teaching the other cons how to make pine cone soup....and how to look good in her new line of PRISON ATTIRE...Martha,you got what you really deserve!! Stop whining and take your jail time like a good little FRAUD..and an upstanding CRIMINAL!!

Subject: Re: Martha Stewart is going to the slammer.....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 7:03 pm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/marthastewart_livingbehindbars.jpg

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 7:13 pm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/marthastewart_livingbehindbars.jpg
LMAOROFL!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 7:31 pm

LMAOROFL!!!
;)

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 11:36 am

Martha Stewart breathed a small sigh of relief on Friday over the seemingly paltry $30,000 fine that went along with her five-month jail term.

ONLY 5 Months!!! :o ??? >:(

I firmly believe she should have received much more time in prison. That's not even half a year! I guess celebrity and money does get a criminal like her leniency. :P The system blows, IMO.

I guess I could take some comfort in the fact that she'll get a warm reception by the general prison population.

She will be with the general population, right? ?

Oh, please don't tell me she'll have some prison condo for the special people. ::) :P I don't even want to know.

Written By: Mangoo on 07/19/04 at 11:51 am

Believe me shes just going on a five month vacation at a "prison country club"

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/04 at 11:52 am

Martha Stewart breathed a small sigh of relief on Friday over the seemingly paltry $30,000 fine that went along with her five-month jail term.

ONLY 5 Months!!! :o ??? >:(

I firmly believe she should have received much more time in prison. That's not even half a year! I guess celebrity and money does get a criminal like her leniency. :P The system blows, IMO.

I guess I could take some comfort in the fact that she'll get a warm reception by the general prison population.

She will be with the general population, right? ?

Oh, please don't tell me she'll have some prison condo for the special people. ::) :P I don't even want to know.

I disagree... there are several VPs and CEOs right now who have done far more damage to the financial markets than her $20,000 "profit" from the sale of her shares.  The ENRON guys, the people at Adelphia, the Tyco CEO, several dot-com companies, etc.  These guys have either gotten away, or gotten sentences of about 2 or 3 years.  They robbed the government, they emptied the life savings of people, etc.  The loss of business Martha has suffered due to the prison talk, court costs, etc far exceed the damage cause be selling a few thousand shares of stock. 

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 12:23 pm

I disagree...

You think 5 months in prison for Martha is a fair punishment then?

I think all crimes of this nature are equally grave with respect to business ethics, no matter the amount of money in question. A thief is a thief whether it's $10.00 or $20,000.

I believe any and all fraudulent business criminals should serve 3 - 5 years in prison; 3 being the less severe for people like Martha and her questionable small amount of 20,000.

3 - 5 years in prison:

1) It discourages recidivism.

2) It sets an example to future scum who would consider fraudulent business practices.

My opinion may seem harsh, but I just don't believe justice was served by the 5 month prison sentence.

I do agree with the guys at ENRON and such getting heavier sentences.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 12:25 pm

I disagree... there are several VPs and CEOs right now who have done far more damage to the financial markets than her $20,000 "profit" from the sale of her shares.  The ENRON guys, the people at Adelphia, the Tyco CEO, several dot-com companies, etc.  These guys have either gotten away, or gotten sentences of about 2 or 3 years.  They robbed the government, they emptied the life savings of people, etc.  The loss of business Martha has suffered due to the prison talk, court costs, etc far exceed the damage cause be selling a few thousand shares of stock. 
I agree on principal....I think what makes this not unjust is her "Attitude".."I did nothing wrong" crap! As for the Adelphia cases....our town's cable company is Adelphia and they are FINALLY looking to sell it. The idiot in charge of Adelphia recieved more than 2 or 3 years also ;) I heard some of the "Billions" he took was used to purchase land all around his home so as to not "ruin" the view ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/04 at 1:00 pm

You think 5 months in prison for Martha is a fair punishment then?

I think all crimes of this nature are equally grave with respect to business ethics, no matter the amount of money in question. A thief is a thief whether it's $10.00 or $20,000.

I believe any and all fraudulent business criminals should serve 3 - 5 years in prison; 3 being the less severe for people like Martha and her questionable small amount of 20,000.

3 - 5 years in prison:

1) It discourages recidivism.

2) It sets an example to future scum who would consider fraudulent business practices.

My opinion may seem harsh, but I just don't believe justice was served by the 5 month prison sentence.

I do agree with the guys at ENRON and such getting heavier sentences.

I think 5 months is excessive, especially considering how much has already been lost financially.  She's not going to go to a real prison anyways, she'll end up at a country club prison.  If she wasn't famous, and was some anonymous stock broker, do you think this would have resulted in a 5 month prison sentence and a fine? I'm willing to bet they're trying to make an example of her, but when they reduce the charges on appeal, all they will have accomplished is forcing her to appeal and waste more court time and money.  If they hadn't gone after the prison sentence, it would be all over at this point.

It does work as an excellent distraction from the more serious corporate criminals that are getting ignored by the press. 

Written By: Jessica on 07/19/04 at 1:17 pm

IMO, she should have gotten more time.  If only because of her "holier than thou" attitude.  She has always annoyed the crap out of me, and this just makes her more evil in my eyes.  As I was sitting in the hospital the other night, I was watching parts of the interview with Barbara Walters and just wanted to reach into the TV and smack the living daylights out of her.

Exactly. She's such a snotty b*tch and you know she's going to wind up at some prison where tennis and golf are the forms of exercise. I wouldn't mind the five months so much if she actually had to spend it at a somewhat less luxurious prison like normal thieves. :P

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/19/04 at 1:33 pm

IMO, she should have gotten more time.  If only because of her "holier than thou" attitude.  She has always annoyed the crap out of me, and this just makes her more evil in my eyes.  As I was sitting in the hospital the other night, I was watching parts of the interview with Barbara Walters and just wanted to reach into the TV and smack the living daylights out of her.

HA!  I was watching that same interview & thought to myself, Dam, I hope she gets the cr@p beaten out her in prison by some big hairy butch with bad manners!   ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/19/04 at 1:39 pm

How much did she "insider trade" again? 

This whole situation is retarded.  There are always trade tips going around, so all trades are essentially "insider".  But if she only squirreled away a quarter million in profits (or less) and the Enron guy did billions, and the Enron guy only gets ten years, heck yeah five months is excessive.

And since she's not a rapist or murderer or a traditional burglar she'll go to white collar prison :P  I don't think it has anything to do with celebrity because I think, even though she projects evil, she was just the victim of society hating a successful woman and trying to find an excuse to tear her down.

My opinion.  Not a Martha fan though...she scares me.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 1:54 pm

She's not going to go to a real prison anyways, she'll end up at a country club prison.

With all due respect, this is all the more reason why I think 5 months is a very lenient sentence. As far as her financial loses, K-Mart's still selling her stuff and she's still telling us to buy it. If there's one sure thing about celebrity, it's that once you've been on top, you can always do a comeback.

It does work as an excellent distraction from the more serious corporate criminals that are getting ignored by the press.

Perhaps ignored by the press, but not by the judicial system. ;)

Written By: Hairspray on 07/19/04 at 2:12 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with celebrity because I think, even though she projects evil, she was just the victim of society hating a successful woman and trying to find an excuse to tear her down.

I don't think that's the case in today's society. Furthermore, it's mostly women who are vehemently against Martha Stewart. It has a lot to do with someone with money and power who stepped on those whom she perceived to be below her, whether financially or by social status. Her well documented ego, grandiose and greed are what is technically despised. Nothing to do with gender, IMO.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/04 at 4:17 pm

I agree with Chucky, here.

As with the Clintons, I couldn't stand Martha Stewart until she started getting attacked by people even more heinous than she. 

Martha Stewart is a sacrificial lamb.  She committed a crime, but her crime is committed by people worth eight figures as often as speeding is committed by the average Joe.  The whole rotten world of crony capitalism thrives on insider tips.  There's one world of capitalism for Mary Lunchpail and her 401K plan, and another world of capitalism for highrollers like Stewart.  There's been a lot of bad press on crony capitalism over the past few years, and the powers that be need some steam release.  They need to affirm the myth of justice for white collar criminals.  Stewart, an uppity woman and an annoying celebrity, is the perfect target.

Why is it taking so long to get at Ken Lay?

I don't condone what Stewart did, but I don't condone A LOT of things capitalists do, many of which are perfectly legal.

Martha Stewart is media hype and manufactured outrage for the lowinig herds.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/19/04 at 7:27 pm

I've heard Miss Priss Martha treats her employees like s***.....sorta reminds me of fellow scumbag LEONA HELMSLEY.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 7:42 pm

People with an ounce of weed go to prison longer...and celebrities who committ murder are golfing....

Written By: AL-B on 07/19/04 at 7:52 pm

I read somewhere that this BEE-YOTCH was actually comparing herself to Nelson Mandela.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/19/04 at 8:05 pm

I read somewhere that this BEE-YOTCH was actually comparing herself to Nelson Mandela.

I heard that, too.  Someone needs to bring her back to earth. ::)

Written By: AL-B on 07/19/04 at 8:09 pm

I heard that, too.  Someone needs to bring her back to earth. ::)
Better yet, they ought to put her into a space capsule and launch it into the sun!

Written By: Dagwood on 07/19/04 at 8:45 pm

;D  There's a great idea!

Written By: Jessica on 07/19/04 at 10:52 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! What a fruitcake!!!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/20/04 at 8:40 am

No, she didn't compare herself with him.  If you are talking about the 20/20 interview all she said was:  "There are many, many good people who have gone to prison … look at Nelson Mandela." 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/20/04 at 7:07 pm

If they punished people for being annoying she'd get a life sentence :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 9:06 am

"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison … look at Nelson Mandela." 

You mean like...Ted Bundy ::) Or OJ....oh, wait >:(

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/21/04 at 10:15 am

You mean like...Ted Bundy ::) Or OJ....oh, wait >:(

No, Ted Bundy wasn't a good person and all OJ was, was a good football player. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 10:16 am

No, Ted Bundy wasn't a good person and all OJ was, was a good football player. 
I know...just kidding, PoP ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...