inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smoking in public spaces

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/17/04 at 3:33 am

Karen and I had been discussing differences between various countries attitudes to smoking.  The example that raised the subject was the fact that contestents in the UK Big Brother house are allowed to smoke, whereas in the Aussie BB house it is banned and contestants are put on patches the day before they enter the house.  Au BB is sponsored by the Quit for Life Campaign.

Anyway I was mentioning how long it as been since smoking was banned in the workplace(late 80s), in shopping malls (early 90s), restaurants (early to mid 90s) etc etc here in Western Australia.

This month a new addition - as of July 1st 80% of nightclub floorspace must be deemed smoke free and smoking areas have to be clearly designated.

I havent found any thing written that states whether this includes pubs or whether they are separate to nightclubs law wise.

One of the reasons (aside from crap music!!) that I stopped going to clubs was because of the smoke and its effects on me after a night of dancing in it and breathing it.

Western Australia has been at the forefront of smoking laws compared to the rest of Aust - I know some restaurants and shopping malls in the East still allow smoking inside them.

So just curious to hear how smoking laws are changing and adapting in your state/country etc.

Advertisingwise - magazine ads stopped sometime in the early to mid 80s - not sure of exact dates - and Billboards around the same time.  But I think there are differing laws regarding sports advertising - maybe one of the Aussie lads can explain this further ??

Subject: Re: Smoking in public spaces

Written By: mandamoo on 07/17/04 at 10:19 am

Western Australia has been at the forefront of smoking laws compared to the rest of Aust - I know some restaurants and shopping malls in the East still allow smoking inside them.

Dunno BMG.......N.S.W. has had a non-smoking policy in restaurants and shopping centres for many years, and I'm pretty certain Queensland's the same  :-\\

Written By: Powerslave on 07/17/04 at 10:37 am

Smoking is banned in shopping malls, theatres and most public places in New South Wales, as well as in underground railway stations and enclosed areas of other stations and airport terminals. Legislation is currently underway to increase non-smoking areas in pubs and clubs and I believe most restaurants are smoke-free now, including some sidewalk cafes. The advertising ban on tobacco products was extended to sporting events in the early 90s, hence the one-day cricket internationals could no longer be sponsored by Benson and Hedges and Winfield had to drop its sponsorship of the Rugby League. This caused all sorts of problems for international motor racing events however because many of the teams at the Australian Grand Prix were sponsored by tobacco companies. I can't remember how that panned out but it has since ceased to become an issue. A few months back shopkeepers were told they had to remove all advertising for cigarettes from stores as well and apparently there's a push coming to have them removed from sight so they'll have to be kept where they can't be seen.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 10:47 am

Here in Colorado they are trying to get smoking out of a lot of places...we have quite a few smoke free restaraunts...I don't know if the bars will be as successful though. My friend my manages a bar and they have had much better business when they have smoke free days and nights. Personally I despise cancer sticks and have found most smokers to be rude, having no concern for others by blowing thier damn smoke everywhere instead of at least trying to take it outside....AND they throw thier butts everywhere. We had the biggest fire in Colorado History in 2002, The Haymen Fire....and though it was not started by a cigarette, firefighters were disgusted to find piles of fresh cigarette butts littering the smoldering area not long after the fire was put out  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 10:48 am

Campaign ad run in Kingston and Napanee, Ontario, Canada

http://tobacco.health.usyd.edu.au/site/supersite/resources/images/Bob_Ad.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 10:50 am

As if Cancer isn't bad enough!

http://tobacco.health.usyd.edu.au/site/supersite/resources/images/notrizin%27.jpg

Maybe this is why all those macho pig guys have such a mean streak.... ::)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/17/04 at 10:54 am

my hometown has one of the highest rates of smoking in canada. full 54% of all people in my town smoke, children and teens are included in that percentage. as of july 1, every public place including bars and lounges, went smoke free. i'm seeing bar patrons milling around the entrances to bars; retail staff and office workers all lining up outside of their respective workplaces having a puff. there is an absolute zero tolerance to any public smoking, fines, i've heard, are in the thousands. some local bar mansgers are threatening lawsuits and to cover their lack of business. only time will tell if this will prove to be a success.

winters in my town are cold, -40c for weeks at a time are an average. we'll see how devout a smoker is when they'll be forced outside to have their precious puffs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/04 at 11:57 am

my hometown has one of the highest rates of smoking in canada. full 54% of all people in my town smoke, children and teens are included in that percentage. as of july 1, every public place including bars and lounges, went smoke free. i'm seeing bar patrons milling around the entrances to bars; retail staff and office workers all lining up outside of their respective workplaces having a puff. there is an absolute zero tolerance to any public smoking, fines, i've heard, are in the thousands. some local bar mansgers are threatening lawsuits and to cover their lack of business. only time will tell if this will prove to be a success.

winters in my town are cold, -40c for weeks at a time are an average. we'll see how devout a smoker is when they'll be forced outside to have their precious puffs.

What's your hometown?

Here in Massachusetts, it doesn't get quite that cold, but the winter months are still chilly as heck.  Lately, many places took to prohibitting smoking within 20 feet of the building.  In a lot places smokers huddle just outside the entryway, creating a huge toxic cloud, and littering the walk way with butts.

Mass banned smoking in public enclosures, such as supermarkets and movie theaters, back in the mid-80s.  Many public buildings, such as libraries, administrative buildings, college halls, and so forth, had smoking lounges until a few years ago.  Those have been mostly done away with.

When I was in high school in the '80s, the building's courtyard had a designated "smoking section."  Unthinkable today!

Many municipalities have banned smoking in restaurants as well as all bars, lounges, and nightclubs.  New York City recently did the same.  Restaurants I can understand.  Bars and adult liesure establishments?  I understand the logic, but I'm not comfortable with the measures taken.  It just seems a step too far, and I'm a nonsmoker, always have been.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 12:06 pm

Restaurants here are ALL non-smoking with the exception of the ones that have "caberat" licences-in other words-bars, but they have to be a seperate room from the regular dinning area. There is one city that went totally smoke-free-bars and all.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/17/04 at 12:31 pm

Its great to hear places everywhere are becoming less tolerant to public smoking.

Manda & Power - when I was in Sydney last year I noticed people smoking in restaurants in Darling Harbour and in Warringah Mall - I assumed it had yet to be banned in NSW - they must have just been breaking the rules. BAD people !!!

Power - thanks for clarify the sport issue - I remember it getting quite complex considering the tobacco companys were some of the biggest and most prolific sponsors.  You mentioned train stations - our CBD station is smoke free, but they havent managed to make all the suburb stations the same.  The central bus station has signs - but I have yet to see a single person take notice !
I like to make loud sarcastic comments about smoking obviously having a major effect on peoples reading ability !!!  I will get myself punched one day !!

BWHAHHAHAHAHA  at minus 40 you would want to be a pretty dedicated puffer !!

Restaurants I can understand.  Bars and adult liesure establishments?  I understand the logic, but I'm not comfortable with the measures taken.  It just seems a step too far, and I'm a nonsmoker, always have been.

Maxwell - I find it easy to understand simply by not thinking of me personally - but of the staff who are in those bars etc for 10 hours a day.  A patron may go for a few hours once a week - but the staff are breathing that crap into their lungs all day every day.
I know when I worked in the bars in the UK I went home each night with an actual smokers cough - it was revolting.

Re staff outside buildings - I work for a large government department and staff are banned from smoking within 75 metres of the buildings entrance.  They end up huddled around the side in an alley.

Interestingly - I was reading an email from a friend who moved to Japan to work - workers there only get a weeks holiday a year.  But managers have calculated that smokers waste a full 5 days a year in actual productivity being outside puffing - so they have begun rewarding non smokers with an extra 5 days holiday.  In Aus that probably wouldnt be seen as big a reward as we average 4-8 weeks holiday a year (i get 8 personally), but in a country that only gets a week - I think an extra 5 days would be a big incentive to quit smoking.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/17/04 at 12:43 pm

Manda & Power - when I was in Sydney last year I noticed people smoking in restaurants in Darling Harbour and in Warringah Mall - I assumed it had yet to be banned in NSW - they must have just been breaking the rules. BAD people !!!

I think there are still some restaurants where smoking is permitted, but they are decreasing. I'm not sure it's actually law yet. Many years back when I was working at Sydney Airport I had to tell quite a few people they were no longer allowed to smoke inside the building. The law had been passed only a few weeks before and most interstate visitors weren't aware of it. To their credit, not a single one complained.

Written By: AL-B on 07/17/04 at 2:08 pm

I am a smoker, and here in Lincoln, Nebraska they just passed a city ordinance banning smoking in all public places, including bars. I have always tried to be respectful to non-smokers, and I don't smoke in my own house. I am OK with the smoking ban except for the bar part. The city council earlier this year passed a less strict version of the bill, saying that bars that generated 60% or more of their income from alcohol (as opposed to food) sales could get an exemption from the ban. This seemed like a fair compromise and everyone seemed OK with it, and the new law was supposed to take effect July 1. Then about 2 weeks ago, they passed another law with a total smoking ban. They ran it through late at night when no one was around to oppose it, and I think it was a really chickensh*t move on their part.
    I think it really sucks that they won't allow a person to kick back in a bar after a hard day's work and have a cigarette with their drink. I have no problem whatsoever with not smoking in any other public place (especially where there might be children around), but they should keep the exemption for bars. This whole thing reeks of political correctness to me. I hate how people start acting all self-righteous and condescending towards smokers and treat us like we're a bunch of scumbags, or @ssholes, or trailer trash, or just all-around bad people. I understand your concerns but that doesn't give you the right to be rude to people.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/17/04 at 2:49 pm

What's your hometown?

thompson manitoba.

speaking as an ex-smoker, i don't see the need to ban smoking in bars, afterall, drinking and other assorted adult activity occurs in such establishments.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/17/04 at 3:25 pm

I am a smoker, and here in Lincoln, Nebraska they just passed a city ordinance banning smoking in all public places, including bars. I have always tried to be respectful to non-smokers, and I don't smoke in my own house. I am OK with the smoking ban except for the bar part. The city council earlier this year passed a less strict version of the bill, saying that bars that generated 60% or more of their income from alcohol (as opposed to food) sales could get an exemption from the ban. This seemed like a fair compromise and everyone seemed OK with it, and the new law was supposed to take effect July 1. Then about 2 weeks ago, they passed another law with a total smoking ban. They ran it through late at night when no one was around to oppose it, and I think it was a really chickensh*t move on their part.
     I think it really sucks that they won't allow a person to kick back in a bar after a hard day's work and have a cigarette with their drink. I have no problem whatsoever with not smoking in any other public place (especially where there might be children around), but they should keep the exemption for bars. This whole thing reeks of political correctness to me. I hate how people start acting all self-righteous and condescending towards smokers and treat us like we're a bunch of scumbags, or @ssholes, or trailer trash, or just all-around bad people. I understand your concerns but that doesn't give you the right to be rude to people.

While I tend to agree that in some circumstances anti-smoking policies to seem to be cases of PC gone amok (there are still groups here trying to lobby for a complete ban on smoking in public areas, including out in the open like in parks), the smoke from cigarettes creates a "fallout" that directly impacts on everyone around them, even those who don't smoke. The smoke itself is reinhaled by other people, it gets in their eyes and invades their clothing and hair. Cigarette smoke also leaves a strong and unpleasant odour that can actually make non-smokers nauseous (sometime after I stopped smoking, I became acutely aware of this whenever I walked past the spot outside my building where the smoker congregate). There's a considerable amount of self-righteousness on both sides of the argument. I'm not about to preach to anyone. I gave up smoking for the same reason I took it up: because I wanted to, and that's a choice that's up to the individual. I don't care. But here's the thing: by smoking, you are directly affecting the environment in the immediate vicinity, effectively forcing your habit on everyone around you. By not smoking, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, indirectly or otherwise. That's the crux of the issue. If you want to look at it another way: I'm not impinging on your right to smoke if you wish, but by smoking, you may be impinging on my choice not to. I hope that makes sense.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/04 at 3:43 pm

http://www.weeklywarning.com/images/mansmoking.jpg

There are way too many of these people walking around my area.And nobody cares about their teeth anymore. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 6:47 pm

I HATED the special treatment at places of employment....I mean just because I choose NOT to smoke I keep on working...while the smokers get as many smoke breaks as they want >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 6:50 pm

I am a smoker,  I have always tried to be respectful to non-smokers
You are definately an exception, AL-B :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 7:58 pm

In my city in England, I believe they are tightening up on public smoking and are calling for a ban.

The politicians won't ban smoking totally because of the amount of Tax revenue the government recieves. They can only make the warnings bigger on the packs.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/04 at 1:03 am

Its great to hear places everywhere are becoming less tolerant to public smoking.

Maxwell - I find it easy to understand simply by not thinking of me personally - but of the staff who are in those bars etc for 10 hours a day.  A patron may go for a few hours once a week - but the staff are breathing that crap into their lungs all day every day.
I know when I worked in the bars in the UK I went home each night with an actual smokers cough - it was revolting.

Yes, that's the main logical argument, the health of the employees.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/18/04 at 2:50 am

While I tend to agree that in some circumstances anti-smoking policies to seem to be cases of PC gone amok (there are still groups here trying to lobby for a complete ban on smoking in public areas, including out in the open like in parks), the smoke from cigarettes creates a "fallout" that directly impacts on everyone around them, even those who don't smoke. The smoke itself is reinhaled by other people, it gets in their eyes and invades their clothing and hair. Cigarette smoke also leaves a strong and unpleasant odour that can actually make non-smokers nauseous (sometime after I stopped smoking, I became acutely aware of this whenever I walked past the spot outside my building where the smoker congregate). There's a considerable amount of self-righteousness on both sides of the argument. I'm not about to preach to anyone. I gave up smoking for the same reason I took it up: because I wanted to, and that's a choice that's up to the individual. I don't care. But here's the thing: by smoking, you are directly affecting the environment in the immediate vicinity, effectively forcing your habit on everyone around you. By not smoking, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, indirectly or otherwise. That's the crux of the issue. If you want to look at it another way: I'm not impinging on your right to smoke if you wish, but by smoking, you may be impinging on my choice not to. I hope that makes sense.

Powerslave - kudos !  Thats the most well constructed to the point statement I have seen on the subject - ever !  You should send the whole thing in to your local paper !

At work I find I notice it the most if I get in the lift just after a bunch of smokers have left - I think they have no concept how much the stench permeates everything around them - even when they are no longer there.

I am a smoker,  I have always tried to be respectful to non-smokers, and I don't smoke in my own house.     
I hate how people start acting all self-righteous and condescending towards smokers and treat us like we're a bunch of scumbags, or @ssholes, or trailer trash, or just all-around bad people. I understand your concerns but that doesn't give you the right to be rude to people.

AL-B - most of my friends who still smoke dont do so in their own homes - specially the ones with kids etc. 
I agree there can be some self righteous-ness about it all from those of us who dont smoke - but te way I see it - its not the 1940s.  Pretty hardline warnings have been out there in the press for all to see since even before John Wayne and Yul Brynner publicily announced smoking was killing them.

I seriously believe anyone who has taken up smoking in the last 30 years - does so with 100% knowledge of what it is doing to thier body and to the people around them.  So yes - I do believe that makes them a little selfish.  Kinda like someone who purposely builds with asbestos despite 40 years of warnings about its effects.

I would say 50% of my friends still smoke and obviously they are my friends so I dont treat them with contempt and call them a@@holes - but I do constantly tell them they smell !!  hehehehe - cos quite frankly - they do !

I personally equate those who choose to affect my life by what they smoke around me - as no different to the drunk in a vehicle heading straight for me - both are going to affect my personal medical health eventually.

Written By: AL-B on 07/18/04 at 3:22 am

AL-B - most of my friends who still smoke dont do so in their own homes - specially the ones with kids etc. 
I agree there can be some self righteous-ness about it all from those of us who dont smoke - but te way I see it - its not the 1940s.  Pretty hardline warnings have been out there in the press for all to see since even before John Wayne and Yul Brynner publicily announced smoking was killing them.

I seriously believe anyone who has taken up smoking in the last 30 years - does so with 100% knowledge of what it is doing to thier body and to the people around them.  So yes - I do believe that makes them a little selfish.  Kinda like someone who purposely builds with asbestos despite 40 years of warnings about its effects.

I would say 50% of my friends still smoke and obviously they are my friends so I dont treat them with contempt and call them a@@holes - but I do constantly tell them they smell !!  hehehehe - cos quite frankly - they do !

I personally equate those who choose to affect my life by what they smoke around me - as no different to the drunk in a vehicle heading straight for me - both are going to affect my personal medical health eventually.
Thank you for clarifyng your position. I hope you didn't take offense to my previous post, but I do sometimes feel that people can be a lot harsher about this issue than they need to be. I can also understand your distaste for secondhand smoke, because I have a friend who smokes cigars and I find that smell to be absolutely revolting. (And what really ticks me off is that we'll sit down at a table next to a bunch of pretty girls, and he'll light up his stogie and within 5 minutes they'll all clear out. :()
       To be perfectly honest with you, I really would like to quit smoking, and if this smoking ban does indeed go into effect, it will greatly improve my chances of success. I rarely smoke during the week (even though I work outside so I can if I want to) because it zaps my energy, and I mainly smoke when I'm at a bar on the weekend. I actually did quit smoking for a period of about 6 months a couple of years ago. Then I was at a bar with my brother and he whipped out a pack of Marlboros and I was off the wagon just like that. So, even though the smoking ban would ulitmately help me quit, I am still opposed to it on principle. I think that bars should be the last sanctuary for smokers. (Maybe it's just the Red Foreman in me.  :))

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/18/04 at 11:19 am

I HATED the special treatment at places of employment....I mean just because I choose NOT to smoke I keep on working...while the smokers get as many smoke breaks as they want >:(

Considered taking up smoking (only kidding.)

Smoking in bar and restaurants should be left up to the owners, and smoking outside should always be legal.  If fascist and socialist countires can allow smoking outdoors then America certainly can.

Written By: Jessica on 07/18/04 at 12:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it's banned around here in restaurants and bars because I never see anyone doing it.

My position on it is if you want to do it, go outside. My mother smoked for years and years, and every year like clockwork, my sister and I would develop bronchitis, allergies, etc. She didn't do it outside. When she finally quit, we washed all the walls in the house and were surprised at how much yellow was on them. :o We also discovered that our bronchitis and stuff went away. :) The sucky part is that now my mom is stuck with a lifetime of asthma because of it. :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/04 at 1:05 pm

A daughter has not had a cigarette in quite a while....her mother is suprised and asks "Have you quit smoking?" The daughter says "No, I have a cold and smoking just makes it worse" to which the mom replies "Maybe if you got sick more often you'd live longer!"

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 2:12 pm

My friend Robert who's gonna be 39 has been smoking for 20 years and in his room he has well over 100 packs of cigarettes. :o
I keep telling him why don't you sell em' off the internet or something. ???

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/19/04 at 12:54 am

Thank you for clarifyng your position. I hope you didn't take offense to my previous post, but I do sometimes feel that people can be a lot harsher about this issue than they need to be. I can also understand your distaste for secondhand smoke, because I have a friend who smokes cigars and I find that smell to be absolutely revolting. (And what really ticks me off is that we'll sit down at a table next to a bunch of pretty girls, and he'll light up his stogie and within 5 minutes they'll all clear out. :()
       To be perfectly honest with you, I really would like to quit smoking, and if this smoking ban does indeed go into effect, it will greatly improve my chances of success. I rarely smoke during the week (even though I work outside so I can if I want to) because it zaps my energy, and I mainly smoke when I'm at a bar on the weekend. I actually did quit smoking for a period of about 6 months a couple of years ago. Then I was at a bar with my brother and he whipped out a pack of Marlboros and I was off the wagon just like that. So, even though the smoking ban would ulitmately help me quit, I am still opposed to it on principle. I think that bars should be the last sanctuary for smokers. (Maybe it's just the Red Foreman in me.  :))

Definately no offence taken AL-B - and I hope you know I am not taking digs at you personally !!

Funny you mentioned cigars - there is actually one cigar I totally love the smell of - have no idea which one it is but sometimes I can smell the particular one and recognise it straight away.  But the rest are pretty stenchy !  And I can imagine it affects your love life when your mate lights up and all the pretty girls walk out !!!

You are what I would describe as a "social smoker" - in that you connect it with being at the bar having a drink with friends on weekends.  A lot of my friends have graduated themselves down from 20 a day to "social smoking". 

On the other hand I work with two women who are so reliant on them that it scares me - by 10am they are bickering niggling cows, then they go downstairs for their puff and come back up normal as ever.  Then by 12 the bickering starts again.  Basically every 2 hours on the dot.  You could set a clock by them.  I dont ever want to be THAT reliant on anything except food !
And at 15 minutes per puff - thats basically an hour a day they have spent downstairs while I have been working !
One of those women is the complete opposite to you - she doesnt smoke on weekends - or at night when she gets home.  In fact she claims her husband doesnt know she smokes !
But every 2 hours between 9 and 5.30 monday to friday - she smokes !

Wierd !!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 11:08 am

I agree.  I am a light smoker (5-6 a day, some days less), but (like AL-B), I consider myself to be one of the "considerate ones".  I do not smoke around my kids or my friends who don't smoke or in my house.  I also do not throw my butts on the ground and have been known to pick up others' 'discarded' ones (if it's someone I know).  I don't agree with the "across the board" bans on smoking in places such as bars.  In my county, they considered such a ban, but it never passed.  Instead, they left it up to the individual bar owners.  Some went to non-smoking, some didn't.
That's a cool way to leave it...up to the actual bar owners. I like it :) AND you are now the 2nd considerate smoker I've met, 80s_cheerleader...you and AL-B  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 11:29 am

Thanks RnRF.  I realize that it's MY choice, not everyone else's.;)

Let me add, too, that I used to work as a hostess in a restaurant.  We had smoking & non-smoking sections.  It used to annoy the crap out of me when people would ask for "first available" then come ask me to ask someone else to stop smoking when they were IN the smoking section.  If you didn't want to be in the smoking section, ask for non-smoking ::)
Anytime,80s_cheerleader ;) As for the restaraunt....isn't having a non-smoking section in a restaraunt just like having a non-pee area in a swimming pool? :D

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/19/04 at 1:16 pm

RnRFan, you'd be surprised how many considerate smokers there are in this country, let alone in Colorado. I know quite a few of them myself that reside there. ;)

My take on it is, if you don't like smoke - then don't go into the places where you KNOW smokers will be.  Like bars, clubs or casinos, etc....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 6:50 pm

Doesn't having to walk through the smoking section defeat the purpose of having separate sections???

Yep....makes no sense to me either ::)

Written By: AL-B on 07/19/04 at 6:56 pm

Funny you mentioned cigars - there is actually one cigar I totally love the smell of - have no idea which one it is but sometimes I can smell the particular one and recognise it straight away.
Cohibas :)(the real ones from Havana?) We can't get those in the States... :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 7:27 pm

RnRFan, you'd be surprised how many considerate smokers there are in this country, let alone in Colorado. I know quite a few of them myself that reside there. ;)

My take on it is, if you don't like smoke - then don't go into the places where you KNOW smokers will be.  Like bars, clubs or casinos, etc....

I know and agree PoP....it's just the ones who think the world owes them....the one that flick thier butt's AND the ones who refuse to be careful in our national parks.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 9:07 pm

Well,Pop Culture Girl I don't think people can help it.You just have to take A chance. ???

Howard

Written By: Mangoo on 07/20/04 at 11:41 am

Yeah Im with you I get chewed out for taking a rest and I dont smoke.Here in Philly alot of restaurants still allow smoking,bars.I guess I can put up with the smoking at the nighclubs or bars even though I hate inhaling that crap.I can also tolerate it if its for adult only places.

Written By: Marian on 07/20/04 at 1:56 pm

Yep....makes no sense to me either ::)
:oMe neither.It doesn't make sense to smoke near a doorway,neear bicycle racks,children's play equipment,or public phones either.Cheers1

Written By: Howard on 07/20/04 at 5:50 pm

People smoke in their own cars sometimes.I,for one had to endure the smell and it almost made me vomit.I bit my tongue and didn't say anything to that person cause I don't mind.I habituate to the odor. :P

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/20/04 at 10:59 pm

People smoke in their own cars sometimes.I,for one had to endure the smell and it almost made me vomit.I bit my tongue and didn't say anything to that person cause I don't mind.I habituate to the odor. :P

Howard
I hate when I drive through town and see peole with babies or kids in the car and it's full of smoke...AND the windows are UP >:(

Written By: Fred on 07/21/04 at 3:36 am

You can get them in Canada, not to cheap though.  :(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/21/04 at 4:41 am

OK my new goal is next time I smell the smoke from the really nice cigar - I am going to actually ask the person what it is !!

We always hear about how you guys have to smuggle your Cuban cigars in etc - I seriously dont know how it works here as I havent ever been into the one and only cigar shop in Perth.  I wonder if the Cuba ones are legal here.  Gosh now thats two goals !

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/04 at 5:21 am

OK my new goal is next time I smell the smoke from the really nice cigar - I am going to actually ask the person what it is !!

Well, "really nice" and "cigar" are mutually exclusive, as far as I can tell.  Whenever I catch waft, it usually smells like he's smoking an egg roll.  I say "he" because that's generally the sex, sometimes it's "she," especially around Northampton, and then sometimes I'm not sure!

Written By: karen on 07/21/04 at 10:19 am

It looks like Ireland is the first country to have a nationwide ban on smoking in pubs, clubs, restaurants and work places, at least according to this news article.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=8&u=/nm/20040721/od_nm/ireland_smoking_dc

In England there are a few totally non-smoking restaurants but this is the choice of the owner and not the law yet.  Many restaurants have no smoking areas but, as others have said, in many cases they are immediately next to the smokers seats so its totally pointless.

It is only fairly recently that they have completely banned smoking inside the buildings at work.  When I started work in 1986 you could smoke more or less anywhere (not in many lab areas for example).  They then phased in no smoking areas in shared offices/work areas unless other workers agreed you could.  This was probably in about 1991.  About 4 years ago this became a ban on all indoor smoking.

They have now installed cigarette butt bins next to all the doorways.  DOesn't stop people leaving the butts all over the floor though.  ::)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/21/04 at 10:30 am

You know what irritates me?  When you're driving down the freeway & some jackass flicks his cig out the window & it hits your windshield. ::)  Morons I tell ya! 

My sister in law was telling me that about a month ago she was sitting at a traffic light with her windows down and some dude threw his butt out the car window & it landed on her passenger seat.  Luckily it didn't burn a hole in it & thank goodness noone was in the car with her. >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 12:01 pm

You know what irritates me?  When you're driving down the freeway & some jackass flicks his cig out the window & it hits your windshield. ::)  Morons I tell ya! 

My sister in law was telling me that about a month ago she was sitting at a traffic light with her windows down and some dude threw his butt out the car window & it landed on her passenger seat.  Luckily it didn't burn a hole in it & thank goodness noone was in the car with her. >:(
Jerk! I certainly hope karma got him later that day ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 9:25 pm

I hate when I drive through town and see peole with babies or kids in the car and it's full of smoke...AND the windows are UP >:(

Even the babies could choke. >:(

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/04 at 2:47 am

As someone who has a chronic lung disorder(COPD)-and has never smoked...I have to be extremely careful about being exposed to cigarette smoke. I don't allow anyone to smoke in my apartment,and they are understanding about it. And I stay out of public places where I know there will be lots of smokers.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/04 at 2:53 am

Jerk! I certainly hope karma got him later that day ;)
If that guy accidentally flicked his ciggie butt into Tony Stewart's personal ride.....he'd really experience karma...a fist to his face possibly....just had to mention that possibility. >:(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/04 at 2:54 am

If that guy accidentally flicked his ciggie butt into Tony Stewart's personal ride.....he'd really experience karma...a fist to his face possibly....just had to mention that possibility. >:(
yeah...like that would really happen......

Written By: Howard on 07/23/04 at 8:50 pm

It annoys me that people have the option to smoke in public bathrooms sometimes. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/04 at 10:22 pm

As someone who has a chronic lung disorder(COPD)-and has never smoked...I have to be extremely careful about being exposed to cigarette smoke. I don't allow anyone to smoke in my apartment,and they are understanding about it. And I stay out of public places where I know there will be lots of smokers.
Andy Kaufman never smoked and yet he died of lung cancer :\'(

Written By: goodsin on 07/24/04 at 7:29 am

But here's the thing: by smoking, you are directly affecting the environment in the immediate vicinity, effectively forcing your habit on everyone around you. By not smoking, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, indirectly or otherwise. That's the crux of the issue. If you want to look at it another way: I'm not impinging on your right to smoke if you wish, but by smoking, you may be impinging on my choice not to. I hope that makes sense.

Good shot, Powerslave. A cogent argument on what's obviously a heated subject- and that's coming from a smoker. Due to the re-classification of the drug cannabis in UK law, many people now assume they have the right to smoke it on the street. I took my daughter out at the weekend through an area where reefer smoke could constantly be smelt (this was outdoors), and had to answer some quite taxing questions as to what effect this might have on her. It's not just tobacco that can be passively smoked!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 10:58 am

Good shot, Powerslave. A cogent argument on what's obviously a heated subject- and that's coming from a smoker. Due to the re-classification of the drug cannabis in UK law, many people now assume they have the right to smoke it on the street. I took my daughter out at the weekend through an area where reefer smoke could constantly be smelt (this was outdoors), and had to answer some quite taxing questions as to what effect this might have on her. It's not just tobacco that can be passively smoked!
That is true and I agree with you, goodsin...it's just that ciggys cause Cancer.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/04 at 12:01 pm

I constantly have to endure secondhand smoke outside where I work.They go on breaks and light up a cigarette. >:(

Howard

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/29/05 at 12:37 pm

O-K-A-Y Guys I have an invention to keep everyone happy.

My patented clear perspex head bubble, which is fitted onto the smokers head, it comes complete with extraction system in the form of a thin nozzle, which can be tucked down your sweater at the back.
My 'bubble' invention comes with a tight rubber seal to be fitted round the neck area, so allowing minimal smoke to escape.  ;D

Whadya think guys   ;D ;D

Girls versions could come with flower/fairy motifs spray-painted on,

guys maybe motorbikes or something??

Written By: chaka on 04/29/05 at 12:41 pm

O-K-A-Y Guys I have an invention to keep everyone happy.

My patented clear perspex head bubble, which is fitted onto the smokers head, it comes complete with extraction system in the form of a thin nozzle, which can be tucked down your sweater at the back.
My 'bubble' invention comes with a tight rubber seal to be fitted round the neck area, so allowing minimal smoke to escape.  ;D

Whadya think guys   ;D ;D

Girls versions could come with flower/fairy motifs spray-painted on,

guys maybe motorbikes or something??

You're very creative...!
I wouldn't of thought of something like that but yeah,it's a great idea and I bet it would look good too!!!
:D ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/29/05 at 12:43 pm

..and especially useful on a rainy day, no need to carry an umbrella!!!   ;)

or after a visit to the hairdressers.

Written By: chaka on 04/29/05 at 12:45 pm

..and especially useful on a rainy day, no need to carry an umbrella!!!   ;)

Hey yeah that's true!!!
I bet Non-Smokers would also use it ;)

Written By: goodsin on 04/29/05 at 12:59 pm

That is true and I agree with you, goodsin...it's just that ciggys cause Cancer.

And maryjane causes highness! (And probably cancer and mental illness too).

And Mr Tumnus, I'm sure I've seen photos of something similar already- or maybe that was an anti-allergy bubble?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/29/05 at 5:50 pm

Andy Kaufman never smoked and yet he died of lung cancer :\'(
What most annoys me is some idiots actually light up around people who have oxygen tanks and use them in public due to lung problems...how inconsiderate! When I had to use oxygen,there were really inconsiderate JERKS who lit up around me...and when I posted about it on the "Net...people got p*ssed off at me for speaking out"Oh go be a good little cripple and be happy..."that was their attitude.

I'd bet that either KIDS or TEENAGERS posted those stupid comments just for KICKS....

Check for new replies or respond here...