inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Myths of the U.S. South 2000s

Written By: T on 07/18/04 at 11:45 pm

Being born and brought up in the U.S. South, I notice whenever I'm around people from other regions of the United States, ( a lot of the ones I been around) they believe that the South is boring, very very prejudice, years behind the times, not having big cities, and that the South is all country and rural. Those myths of the South really makes me sick, because I know their not true.
   Growing up in the South it was not always or most times boring to me because there were things to do such as: playing games with friends and family, going to the park, going to the skating center, going bowling, going to the mall and many many other things. I know not all cities and towns have bowling places or skating centers, but we do have our fun in other ways.
   When it come to racism, racism is everywhere. When I was brought up in the South in a North Carolina city of about 11,000 in population, the city was intergrated and had different cultures. Being Black American of African, Native American, and European descent, I know there was a time when it was more common in the South to be around prejudice people and know it. Segregation didn't start in the U.S. South but in another U.S. region on the railroad and due to a famous play. Plus not all Blacks were slaves in the South, some were free Blacks.
   When it comes to the South being behind the time that is not true. The South been on time but in a different way. For example the South is home to the first electric trolley, the first American opera presented and many other first. As for first in the South for different cultures, home to the first state supported college for Native Americans, first college for Blacks and many other culture first.
   When it comes to big cities, the South have some of the most unique cities on Earth. Southern cities like New Orleans, Louisiana; Miami, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; and Charlotte, North Carolina are known for their culture, arts, music, and food. Some Southern cities have tall buildings and subways or light rail.
   As for the South being all country or rural that is not true. A lot of the South have some country or rural places, but not all of the South is country or rural.
   The myths that some people have about the South been on my mind and I just had to let it out. I'm not trying to upset people in other regions but some people really believe these myths about the South.

Subject: Re: Myths of the U.S. South 2000s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/04 at 12:53 am

Being born and brought up in the U.S. South, I notice whenever I'm around people from other regions of the United States, ( a lot of the ones I been around) they believe that the South is boring, very very prejudice, years behind the times, not having big cities, and that the South is all country and rural. Those myths of the South really makes me sick, because I know their not true.
Actually, that sounds kinda like where I grew up -- NEW HAMPSHIRE!
:P
   Growing up in the South it was not always or most times boring to me because there were things to do such as: playing games with friends and family, going to the park, going to the skating center, going bowling, going to the mall and many many other things. I know not all cities and towns have bowling places or skating centers, but we do have our fun in other ways.
How about a rip-roaring game of checkers!
   When it come to racism, racism is everywhere. When I way brought up in the South in a North Carolina city of about 11,000 in population, the city was intergrated and had different cultures. Being Black American of African, Native American, and European descent, I know there was a time when it was more common in the South to be around prejudice people and know it. Segregation didn't start in the U.S. South but in another U.S. region on the railroad and due to a famous play. Plus not all Blacks were slaves in the South, some were free Blacks.
Racism is still an enormous problem in America.  I agree it's not limited to the South.  The stereotype comes from the South's legacy of Jim Crow, civil rights resistance, and the prevalence of the Klan.  Stereotypes die hard. 

Written By: CBH1989er on 07/19/04 at 2:47 am

I think the south is going to be recognized the way u see it soon. Theres gonna be a population shift in the country. Alot of ppl will start to move to the south and the west.Matter of fact its happing now,I live in a mostly black city in Indiana called Gary, its about 35 min away from downtown Chicago but anyways many of Gary's ancestors came from the south and many of ppl are begining to go back. The south and west will more become technology savvy and modern if trends continue.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/04 at 10:33 am

Mine is that Three bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch :)

Written By: Koop on 07/19/04 at 4:28 pm

I agree!  I've chatted with people from other places that, while they've NEVER visited the South, they have this image that we're a bunch of barefoot backwoods hicks without indoor plumbing and that we're also a bunch of racist morons.  Sad that in this day and age, these stereotypes still exist. 

Also, I was discussing this very subject with a friend of mine the other day and a point that my friend brought up was that people also seem to think that if you have a southern accent that you're not very bright.  I personally don't have one, but I've known quite a few intelligent people.....WITH southern accents.  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/04 at 4:55 pm

Segregation didn't start in the U.S. South but in another U.S. region on the railroad and due to a famous play.

I find this a very troubling statement.  I would like to know where you learned this fact, it really is way
out of whack to the reality of African-American history. Have you studied it at all?  A good start would
be "Africans in America", it is a documentary that should be available at any library or some video
stores. 

Written By: Jessica on 07/19/04 at 4:56 pm

For the short time I was in North Carolina, I adored it! The people were very nice (unlike in this state ::)) and I had a blast. I saw all sorts of cultures and races represented there and no one had a problem with it. I swear if I had the money, I'd be moving there. :P

Not to mention that I just LOVE a Southern accent! ;D

Written By: AL-B on 07/19/04 at 7:20 pm

I have a good friend who used to live here in Lincoln but moved back down to his hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas a few years back. I used to be a cross-country truck driver and I've been to most of the 48 lower states (including alll of the southern ones). One thing I learned later on was that you really can't judge a place based solely on interstate highways and truck stops. I had a particularly bad impression of Arkansas (they had the crappiest interstates for a long time). Then me and a friend drove down to Little Rock to visit our friend and to watch a Razorback football game and I was surprised how open and friendly the people to us. We had a blast down there!. People think of Arkansas as being a particularly backward state and I used to think so too, but now I think Arkansas rules.
    I still have a bad impression of Mississippi. The people I encountered there seemed to be rather standoffish and defensive towards outsiders, but then again I didn't get a chance to really interact with them all that much.  Someday I'd like to go back down to Mississippi with more of an open mind and spend a little bit more time hanging out with the people there, and hopefully they'll prove me wrong.
    One more thing--while Nebraskans are by and large friendly and on the level, there are certain towns and counties I've been to where they don't seem to care too much for "city slickers" (people from Lincoln and Omaha...) This may sound odd, but I swear that you can go to one small town and hang out in the local bar, and the people there are really friendly and nice and cool; but then you can drive 7 miles down the road to the next town and the people there are complete jerks. Strange but true.

Written By: OuterSpace on 07/18/07 at 10:32 pm

Heres a blast from the past: 3 years ago.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/18/07 at 10:45 pm

Bumping up 3 year old threads without actually adding to the discussion in any way is considered spamming.  :D

Written By: OuterSpace on 07/18/07 at 10:48 pm

Oh okay thanks Luke. Its something Ill only do once a month.

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/07 at 10:52 pm

Oh okay thanks Luke. Its something Ill only do once a month.

How can you have a time frame on when to bump 3 year old topics?  Why do you even know that a 3 year old topic will need to be bumped a month from now? ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/07 at 11:21 pm

Thank God President Kerry got us out of Iraq.  If we had Dubya back in there, the senate would be staying up all night arguing about how to get out!
:D

Written By: spaceace on 07/19/07 at 9:46 am

Thank God President Kerry got us out of Iraq.  If we had Dubya back in there, the senate would be staying up all night arguing about how to get out!

The U.S. Senate Slumber Party!!! :)  I wanna do a thread on that!!!

Written By: Mushroom on 07/20/07 at 2:01 pm

Thank Goodness Rutherford Hayes got us out of the South.  Otherwise we would still have reconstruction.  ::)

Written By: spaceace on 07/20/07 at 2:06 pm

Thank Goodness Rutherford Hayes got us out of the South.  Otherwise we would still have reconstruction.  ::)

Darn them carpetbaggers!!  We ain't had no peace since Fort Sumter.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/07 at 7:12 pm

Thank Goodness Rutherford Hayes got us out of the South.  Otherwise we would still have reconstruction.   ::)

Jeez, I guess some good can come out of stealing a presidential election!

Written By: Bubbly on 07/20/07 at 8:47 pm

Myth of the U.S. South 2000s - equality!

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/07 at 9:20 am

Jeez, I guess some good can come out of stealing a presidential election!

Maxwell, are you actually saying that Reconstruction was wrong and should have ended?

Check for new replies or respond here...