inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lance Armstrong

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/04 at 2:25 pm

...all but guarantees his sixth straight Tour de France win

A good day for the American, eh?  :)

Subject: Re: Lance Armstrong

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/04 at 2:52 pm

I just hope he doesn't try to break the yellow jacket record set by Eddie Merckx for his safety. But he does look dominating this year.
...all but guarantees his sixth straight Tour de France win

A good day for the American, eh?  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 4:29 pm

Let's just hope he doesn't prove to be a steriod athelete :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 5:37 pm

Okay, what's the big deal? He's a dude on a bike.

Written By: Vapor Trails on 07/24/04 at 6:10 pm

Lance is awesome! He dominated on the stages in the mountains again.

RockNRollFan,

Lance has been the most tested athlete in any sport (according to ESPN) and every time he comes up clean. The only thing he's on is his bike and he works his butt off (that was a Nike Commercial a few years ago, I believe)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/04 at 6:11 pm

The big deal is that he is a dude on a bike who has rode 2000+miles around France really fast for going on six times in a row :)

And I really don't think he would be on steroids.  He's not bulky enough :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 6:40 pm

RockNRollFan,

Lance has been the most tested athlete in any sport (according to ESPN) and every time he comes up clean. The only thing he's on is his bike and he works his butt off (that was a Nike Commercial a few years ago, I believe)
I seriously hope he's clean. I heard last week that he filed a suit against some author for accusing him of steriod use in the past....the judge threw out the case. The author of the book offered Lance a chance to dispute the book but Armstrong refused and the book was released anyway....sorry, that's all I know for now :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/04 at 7:00 pm

Right, VP, but Marion Jones has been tested so many times and has been clean every time. Yet she still can't shake those steroid claims. :(

RockNRollFan,

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/04 at 11:34 pm

Okay, what's the big deal? He's a dude on a bike.

In spite of the great athletic accomplishment involved, I'm afraid I agree with the above sentiment.  The only "Tour De France" I like is the one by Kraftwerk!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 1:30 am

;) There you go.

It's a good thing, I guess. No biggie, though

Written By: resinchaser on 07/25/04 at 4:48 am

Lance Armstrong is an amazing athlete, PERIOD! He is an athlete that is tested for steroids even more than anyone in track and field. You saw earlier in the tour how intolerant they are when it comes to performance enhancing drugs. They removed two racers from the tour because they were SUSPECTED of testing positive.

He battled back from a life threatening disease (losing one of man's most beloved body parts!), and STILL became THE most dominant man in his sport.

He will always be THE MAN!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/25/04 at 12:32 pm

He won.

Written By: Koop on 07/25/04 at 3:20 pm

He won.

Very cool!!!  Way to go, Lance!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/04 at 4:02 pm

WOOHOO! WTG LANCE!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/25/04 at 6:35 pm

Wake me when it's over,  what?, it is ? oh, ok

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 10:52 pm

You KNOW what they say about what having sex before an athletic event can do to a man's legs....Lance can now make Sheryl "Crow"  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 11:06 pm

HA! Funny one!  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 11:09 pm

HA! Funny one!  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/04 at 12:25 pm

IF he's never found to be "Dirty" and keeping to JUST his atheletic career...yes, I would definately say he's the best....

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/26/04 at 12:43 pm

Lance Armstrong is an amazing athlete, PERIOD! He is an athlete that is tested for steroids even more than anyone in track and field. You saw earlier in the tour how intolerant they are when it comes to performance enhancing drugs. They removed two racers from the tour because they were SUSPECTED of testing positive.

He battled back from a life threatening disease (losing one of man's most beloved body parts!), and STILL became THE most dominant man in his sport.

He will always be THE MAN!

I agree :)  Good post, resin ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/26/04 at 2:02 pm

I must say that I don't see any of the whiners cycling around that stinkin' country six times and WINNING. I think it's a case of sour grapes, which is why these steroid accusations are coming up. :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/26/04 at 2:57 pm

Actually, Greg LeMond is one who has contributed to the controversy.

Yeah, but he only won 3 times ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 3:06 pm

IMO, they are just looking for a "reason" to avoid admitting he's the best cyclist EVER.

Other than Greg Le Mond and Armstrong who is there really to compare?

Tanya

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/04 at 3:14 pm

As I recall, the latest blowup about "performance enhancing drugs" is that some chemists came up with steroids (or other chemicals) that would not show up on drug tests.

That means that all of these allegations (against MANY athletes, not just Lance) are probably unproveable unless the athletic authorities kept blood samples that could be tested later.

It is all a case of "He said, she said".  So unless somebody comes up with REAL evidence, we must assume that Lance has won drug-free.

Check for new replies or respond here...