inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do some young people think they're invincible?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/04 at 7:57 pm

I used to think I was indestructible when I was in my teens and 20's...Don't kids realize everything they put into,do to and do with their bodies and minds...good or bad..comes back to haunt people as they get older? I never thought I'd get diabetes,or lung problems,or schizoaffective disorder...and the diabetes comes from years of being overweight,and pigging out on JUNK FOOD... :\'(

Subject: Re: Why do some young people think they're invincible?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/31/04 at 8:07 pm

i know how you feel. i got diabetes from being overweight, eating crap and drinking like a fish. i hear about kids who skateboard and brag about their injuries. lets see them brag when their knees or wrists start to throb in agonising pain whenever it rains when they get older.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/04 at 11:37 am

Feel Better man,I wish you well. ;) :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/04 at 11:43 am

i know how you feel. i got diabetes from being overweight, eating crap and drinking like a fish. i hear about kids who skateboard and brag about their injuries. lets see them brag when their knees or wrists start to throb in agonising pain whenever it rains when they get older.
I'm so sorry to hear about that, sputnikcorp....I don't know what else to say :-\\

Written By: gemini61 on 08/01/04 at 2:32 pm

Because they ARE young, and I'm sure alot of us felt the same way when we were young. And it doesn't matter how much we try to tell them, they'll just think we're old fogies who don't know anything!! They'll figure it out eventually on their own!!  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/04 at 6:20 pm

The concept of the permanence of death is a hard one to take in.  The notion
of forever?!  I still have trouble comprehending it.  After all, even when someone
has died we sometimes look for them in other faces, or think about them not
remembering they are gone.  To think of ourselves in those terms. Whoa!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/01/04 at 6:53 pm

Becoming disabled due to a breakdown in 1985 was my wake-up call that I was not indestructible..

Written By: saver on 08/01/04 at 9:32 pm

???Uh...because,....Clay Aiken made it sound so good in his song "If I was Invincible'??? :P

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/04 at 9:59 pm

???Uh...because,....Clay Aiken made it sound so good in his song "If I was Invincible'??? :P

;D
I liked Pat Benatars version from 1985 MUCH better ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/02/04 at 6:37 pm

;D
Is that meant to be mean to me about my question....I just need clarification...not accusing you of being nasty.

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/04 at 7:00 pm

Young people probably don't think of the future that much. If they are in this mind-set, it is difficult not to rationalise what they do. There are some that are ignorant of the consequences of their actions.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/04 at 8:20 pm

I kinda enjoy when kids today say to me that they know this and that...and I hush them up by saying..."Have YOU ever been 44?".....Point being, Learn from people that want to help you and be positive :)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/04 at 9:15 pm

I kinda enjoy when kids today say to me that they know this and that...and I hush them up by saying..."Have YOU ever been 44?".....Point being, Learn from people that want to help you and be positive :)

You have a good point there,Mark.very positive! ;)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/04 at 9:54 pm

You have a good point there,Mark.very positive! ;)

Howard
Thanks Howard....with the world being SO different from when I was a child, raising children can be more of a challenge today.....

Written By: karen on 08/03/04 at 5:37 am

Mark

this sounds fine in principle but you have to get real.  think back to when you were their age.  Did you ever listen to what some old person was saying to you?  I know I rarely did.

People like to make their own mistakes and try things out for themselves, often especially because they've been told it won't work or they shouldn't do it.  That's the inbuilt contrariness in us all.

Written By: bj26 on 08/03/04 at 6:54 am

I used to think I was indestructible when I was in my teens and 20's...Don't kids realize everything they put into,do to and do with their bodies and minds...good or bad..comes back to haunt people as they get older? I never thought I'd get diabetes,or lung problems,or schizoaffective disorder...and the diabetes comes from years of being overweight,and pigging out on JUNK FOOD... :\'(

It's fun while you are doing it in those early years though.  It's hard to influence a person who is having fun that it will possibly hurt them in the long run.  And then if you flat tell a person that their behavior is bad and they will suffer later, they will probably think, "well, chuck you farley  >:("

Written By: jaytee on 08/03/04 at 7:55 am

You can't put an old head on young shoulders!  There are still a lot of adults out there that think they are fireproof.  My mother is 82 and still gives me advice on how to look after myself :)

Written By: bj26 on 08/03/04 at 10:40 am

You can't put an old head on young shoulders!  There are still a lot of adults out there that think they are fireproof.  My mother is 82 and still gives me advice on how to look after myself :)

JT, just a suggestion, Listen to your Mother ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/03/04 at 10:45 am

Thanks Howard....with the world being SO different from when I was a child, raising children can be more of a challenge today.....

I remember when I grew up in the late 70's and my Mother always took care of me and my brother and always looked out for us. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/03/04 at 10:47 am

The concept of the permanence of death is a hard one to take in.  The notion
of forever?!  I still have trouble comprehending it.  After all, even when someone
has died we sometimes look for them in other faces, or think about them not
remembering they are gone.  To think of ourselves in those terms. Whoa!

:\'( We all go thru that process Danoota.It's a part of life. ;)

Howard

Written By: Marian on 08/03/04 at 1:40 pm

>:(I can't believe there are still young people who smoke or have unprotected sex!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/04 at 1:58 pm

Mark

this sounds fine in principle but you have to get real.  think back to when you were their age.  Did you ever listen to what some old person was saying to you?  I know I rarely did.

People like to make their own mistakes and try things out for themselves, often especially because they've been told it won't work or they shouldn't do it.  That's the inbuilt contrariness in us all.
Oh I understand that Karen, that's why I also like to throw in the ...."I'm not trying to give you a lecture, just some friendly advice. It also depends a lot on the activity but that's another story :)

Written By: saver on 08/03/04 at 2:21 pm

Wow, guess there are no Clay Aiken fans out there from my last post...(His song was actually If I were InVISable)...just a joke on my part but that dig didn't go anywhere....

Kids need to learn why they need to be around as long as possible(to contribute to be productive in society). When you see them into the daredevil kind of sports/activities...I was always taught early on..we only have ONE BODY, take care of it so it will last inside and out...yet most recently saw another up and coming young 'teen idol' Aaron Carter(Backstreet Boys-Nicks' brother) puffing away on a cigarette-another teen to be addicted for a lifetime. He's a rising star and already in a hole!

More sensible education is needed.     

Written By: jaytee on 08/03/04 at 5:26 pm

>:(I can't believe there are still young people who smoke or have unprotected sex!

That always astounds me too, Marian.  When I hear about a young girl being pregnant it upsets me more to think that she took a chance and had unprotected sex :(

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/10/06 at 3:58 pm

I believe that it's because until something happens to them, it won't. There is a similar effect concerning weather, including tornados and Hurricanes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 5:20 pm

Sorry to here about that.  It pains me to say this, but here goes.....

Years from now kids of today, will be deaf due to really loud music, be overly techically dependent, become overweight, thanks to a diet of fast food and sugar, and have very limited motor skills, due to be in doors all the time and playing too much video games.

That is my rant of the day.  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/06 at 7:58 pm

They're just young and stupid is all.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:28 pm

Sorry to here about that.  It pains me to say this, but here goes.....

Years from now kids of today, will be deaf due to really loud music, be overly techically dependent, become overweight, thanks to a diet of fast food and sugar, and have very limited motor skills, due to be in doors all the time and playing too much video games.

That is my rant of the day.  ::)

I sort of agree with you, but I think video games can actually improve your motor skills, reflexes.etc. I know they've definitely improved mine. I'm sort of lucky I grew up in the last generation before the 'fat kid epidemic' when we still played sports, went outside.etc (though we also played video games). Internet wasn't big at all in those days (Strictly for nerds back then lol).

Written By: annonymouse on 04/10/06 at 9:41 pm

i'm pretty young, and for some reason if i think about getting in a fight with someone i always believe that i could beat them up. even if they're 20-30 pounds hevier than me, or much stronger. i can never imagine myself gettin beat up or dying. even though 100's of kids my age die each day. i just can't imagine it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:51 pm

i'm pretty young, and for some reason if i think about getting in a fight with someone i always believe that i could beat them up. even if they're 20-30 pounds hevier than me, or much stronger. i can never imagine myself gettin beat up or dying. even though 100's of kids my age die each day. i just can't imagine it.

Maybe you're picking the wrong fights?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/06 at 10:00 am

I sort of agree with you, but I think video games can actually improve your motor skills, reflexes.etc. I know they've definitely improved mine. I'm sort of lucky I grew up in the last generation before the 'fat kid epidemic' when we still played sports, went outside.etc (though we also played video games). Internet wasn't big at all in those days (Strictly for nerds back then lol).

I agree some video games are good for motor skills, but I'm afraid kids of the future will be more indoors, than outdoors.  Why go outside, when everything intersting will be indoors?  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/11/06 at 9:50 pm

Maybe if urban designers make outdoor areas more attractive, safer and inviting than just endless bitumen, asphalt and car-dominated roads then parents too won't be so worried to let their kids outdoors - and the kid'll have no excuse not to get the requisite 30 minutes exercise.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/12/06 at 6:42 am

Maybe you're picking the wrong fights?

i'm not actually getting into fights. but when i ithnk of the people who really annoy me, i picture myself fighting them, and i picture myself winning. even against the largest kids.

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/12/06 at 8:48 am

Some things just don't sink in until they are learned by experience.
Unfortunately, then it is often too late.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:19 am

i'm not actually getting into fights. but when i ithnk of the people who really annoy me, i picture myself fighting them, and i picture myself winning. even against the largest kids.

The smart man picks only fights he can win. Fighting fair is for suckers. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...