inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think the fashion of the next decade will be? Music? TV?

Written By: Kyle on 08/02/04 at 8:09 pm

What do you think would be the fashion of the next will be?  How about the movies?  TV?  ???  I hope we are not flying around like the Jetsons

Subject: Re: What do you think the fashion of the next decade will be? Music? TV?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/04 at 9:02 pm

Hopefully the big "Hey I have a turd in my trousers, oh and check out my KEWL underwear" pants will go away :P

Subject: Re: What do you think the fashion of the next decade will be? Music? TV?

Written By: CBH1989er on 08/04/04 at 1:04 am

Thats a good question Kyle (did u ever get my email kyle??) I would think that the fashions of the 2010's will be like a grunge of the late 2000's.Already we can see where the fashion of the next decade is going to be like in fashion magzines... . I think that the 2010's (early 2010's) will be grungy The 2010's grunge colors maybe tope,baby blue, light pink, light yellow, blue-green,red,and lots of pastel colors.(ALOT diffrent from the 90's) I would say that those colors will be Mitch matched in the type of manor that they did in the 1990s but just with new pastel colors  ;D  womens clothes may be even racy than now.  :P MORE skin will most likely be shown . For guys I would say a retro 50's style mixed with the 80's and late 2000's would be fashionable (if the trends keep on) Instead of having grunge black, and dark colors like the 90's

As for T.V. ....hmmmm probably racy television. unless the FCC cracks down on T.V shows, one basic cable station (ch.2,5,7,9..) may be the first to show nudity during the 1pm-9pm T.V slot which isn't to good, But look @ how T.V. has been changing. look at what they have been showing thru the decades more and more u know what... . On the bright side however, u maybe able to watch t.v. on ur cell phone by then. or on your CD player.  ;D

Music, I have herd rumors that a new type of music is supposed to be herd later on in this decade a RUMOR. Even though i herd the rumor more than once ill believe it when I hear it..I didnt want any of u to say in like 2017 " Ohhh i remember i went a website and a crazy boy said that there would be a new type of music in the twenty teens " lol Im gonna be honest I like rap lol and i dont want it to go i ADMIT that there is rap music that is very raunchy and explicit but i didnt like rap for the lyric most of the time . I like Rap for its sound. Its something I can dance to. I dont see Rap disappearing like disco in the mid 80's . I see rap evolving with its first generation. Generation X(born 1961/63-1981). As Generation X gets older the rap will change along with it. Just the same as video games. somehow they will make video games that will appeal to the elder Generation X er's (as time goes on) that first embraced it ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/04 at 2:27 am

In the 2010s, young people will be wearing even less than they do now. Older people will be keeling over from heart attacks at the permissiveness of their "clothing". The only place you'll be able to hear new music will be on the street corner, where all the musicians now live because downloaders and internet music thieves stole all their income during the 00s. TV game shows will consist of people competing against each other in building and avoiding deadly mantraps. Video games will be hyper-interactive, in which the consoles will simulate the damage caused by a player's character by giving the player electric shocks or shooting flames at them. Exercise will be replaced by special pills people can take with their fast food that simulates a moderate 3 mile hike.

Written By: Zoey on 11/11/09 at 11:55 pm

Here's how I hope it will go:

Fashion will return to a cross between Forties and Fifties Glamour with the Outrageousness of 80's rockstars, Pants will move up higher to either a high rise or at the least mid rise.  Jeans will be tapered legged and clothing will be tailored to fit men better.  Big hair returns after a long hiatus and perms and curlers are on the rise.  Teenagers and twenty-somethings will adopt an anything goes aproach to fashion creating their own one of a kind creations to make their very own outfits.  Grey and black will replace brown and khaki for neutral colors and platform shoes lose popularity.

At least that's how I hope it'll go.  ;)

Written By: 435wtr on 11/12/09 at 12:47 am

I've noticed the 80's thing has been coming back for a while now, I was in high school from 2005-2009 and around 2008 everyone seemed to be wearing neon shirts, the girls had bigger hair, and now in college I see girls with blazers, both genders with ray bans, and shoulder padded things. So my guess is that the next decade will be a 50s 80s mix.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/09 at 5:19 pm

What do you think would be the fashion of the next will be?  How about the movies?  TV?   ???  I hope we are not flying around like the Jetsons

The way things are...nope. But we'll have cars that drive us!

I think the retro point-of-view will return since many DVD's were mostly shows from the 50's to the 90's. TV will come back to the sitcoms and variety show, reality shows will die-off. The movies will have remakes...figures. The music genre will see rap die-off and the 90's will be the biggest thing for the 2010's.

Written By: joeman on 11/12/09 at 5:40 pm

I think the retro point-of-view will return since many DVD's were mostly shows from the 50's to the 90's. TV will come back to the sitcoms and variety show, reality shows will die-off. The movies will have remakes...figures. The music genre will see rap die-off and the 90's will be the biggest thing for the 2010's.

Yeah, which is pretty sad because most of the big name bands, which includes Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters, and going to be novelty acts in much way as Motley Crue and Poison are now in the 2000's.  My kids, and their generation are going to laugh at me and my friends listening to 'old' music from the 90's  :P.

That said, I hope Alternative Rock becomes huge again.  That would kick ass.  Also, there is a guaranteed Kurt Cobain movie coming out in the future.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/09 at 6:17 pm

I PRAY to dear God that music is at least a little better next decade!

Not alot God, just ALITTLE better.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/12/09 at 6:28 pm

One word...

Spats.

http://www.marchingworld.com/image/spats.jpg

Written By: 435wtr on 11/12/09 at 8:12 pm

I can definetly see a big sitcom comeback, the reality shows in 2009 are already scrapping the BOTTOM of the trashy barrel, and i'm sure in the next few years the sitcoms will be back

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/09 at 8:52 pm

I think the next fashion of the decade will be TV.  It's easier to wear a TV set than it is music :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/13/09 at 7:17 am

I can definetly see a big sitcom comeback, the reality shows in 2009 are already scrapping the BOTTOM of the trashy barrel, and i'm sure in the next few years the sitcoms will be back

Look at "John and Kate", that show is having issues.

And the reason why I think Variety Shows may come back because like Reality Shows, they're slightly cheap to make.

Written By: midnite on 11/13/09 at 12:44 pm

Look at "John and Kate", that show is having issues.

And the reason why I think Variety Shows may come back because like Reality Shows, they're slightly cheap to make.

Good pont.  TV has been oversaturated with reality shows for many years (in every topic under the sun).  I would assume that TV Companies will look to replace those "cheaply produced" reality shows with other shows that are cheap to produce.  Instead of paying expensive big-name actors and actresses.  Perhaps, Variety shows and more game shows? 

Written By: Brian06 on 11/13/09 at 8:49 pm

Going by what 2009 was, I think the early 2010s will be very cheesy and flamboyant. Music will be more  poppy, electro, and dancey. The urban dominance will continue to weaken, though the early 10s are still probably gonna be pretty urban.

Written By: 435wtr on 11/13/09 at 10:49 pm

Going by what 2009 was, I think the early 2010s will be very cheesy and flamboyant. Music will be more  poppy, electro, and dancey. The urban dominance will continue to weaken, though the early 10s are still probably gonna be pretty urban.
I agree, from what I've noticed previous decade trends carry on a couple of years into each new decade, so my guess is that the 2010s won't really have a unique identity until 2012 or so

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/09 at 10:32 am

I think pop culture in the 2010's will be better. Just a guess.  ::)

Written By: 90steen on 11/14/09 at 12:29 pm

All the music and fashion of this year is pretty new from what we've had. Which is showing the change already started. I've never heard anything like the popular songs by LMFAO, Ke$ha, David Guetta, Lady Gaga, Owl City, and I like all of it. Two years ago, people weren't roaming around in bright flannel shirts. I like what we're having.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/14/09 at 12:44 pm

Probably more emo.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/14/09 at 11:24 pm

All the music and fashion of this year is pretty new from what we've had. Which is showing the change already started. I've never heard anything like the popular songs by LMFAO, Ke$ha, David Guetta, Lady Gaga, Owl City, and I like all of it. Two years ago, people weren't roaming around in bright flannel shirts. I like what we're having.

2009 music has definitely been WAY better than 2007 imo. I also like the new bright electro movement.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/15/09 at 4:05 pm

I still think the 70's/80's retroness will last for a while. Around 2016, we'll start to see the 90's comeback.

Written By: 435wtr on 11/15/09 at 6:57 pm

I think pop culture in the 2010's will be better. Just a guess.  ::)
I want to see autotune, most reality television, and remakes die out

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/09 at 7:08 pm

I want to see autotune, most reality television, and remakes die out

Here's my really realistic prediction of the 2010's:

I honestly think autotune is just getting started sadly. I think it'll be around until at least 2012.

I'll give reality tv at most 6 more years. Yup, it'll still be popular in my opinion next decade, up until 2015.

Remakes will be blooming next decade sadly, I'd say they won't die until late 2010's.

I honestly think the 2010's will be a fading of the horrible pop culture we had in the 00's. The 2020's will be a rebellious and backlash against 2000-2020. The 2020's will also be the real beggining of the 21st century.

I know alot of people will disagree with me, but don't take my predictions seriously, it's all for fun!  ;)

Written By: 90steen on 11/15/09 at 7:43 pm

2009 music has definitely been WAY better than 2007 imo. I also like the new bright electro movement.

Agreed. I think in another 10 years it will be remembered as being horribly queer and cheesy though.

All the phones have sliding key pads now too. No more regular flip phones.

Written By: 435wtr on 11/16/09 at 3:49 pm

Agreed. I think in another 10 years it will be remembered as being horribly queer and cheesy though.

All the phones have sliding key pads now too. No more regular flip phones.
I agree that a lot of the music on the billboards this year has been INCREDIBLY cheesy, Jay Sean's "Down" for example brings pain to my ears everytime I hear it, I like the dancey songs like "sexy bitch" though

Written By: joeman on 11/16/09 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, I think in the 2010s we are going to see a lot of electronic and electronic based music.  I wouldn't be surprised if guitar/drum/bass becomes old-school by the next decade.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/19/09 at 4:34 pm

I personally don't think that the electronic-based music, Dance-Pop, and autotune style music that we have now will define the 2010s at all.  I personally think it'll be kind like the New Jack Swing genre.  New Jack Swing music like Bobby Brown and NJS-influenced music like "Rhythm Nation" era Janet Jackson was popular from 1989 to 1991.  However, that style started to lose popularity in 1992 and was completely gone by 1993.  Either the musicians were no longer popular or they, like Janet Jackson and even Boyz II Men to a degree (Motownphilly = totally different from all their other songs) changed their styles to reflect more modernized stuff.

I think the current trends of Dance-Pop, electronic-based music, and autotune will go the same way.  Popular from 2009 to 2011, fading in 2012, and gone by 2013.  These trends will be a defining part of the early 2010s, but won't have much of a lifespan beyond that.  At least, that is my prediction.

Written By: tnf on 11/24/09 at 1:54 am

I hope so. But I'm very, very worried, because for sure, the next year the end won't be near.  :\'(

I can't stand Lady Gaga and such stuff. In the Netherlands, it's getting more and more on the radio. Although I like dance music, this kind of music is TOO synthetic for my taste. Too plastic. Too overproduced. Etcetera.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/09 at 11:31 am

I hope so. But I'm very, very worried, because for sure, the next year the end won't be near.  :\'(

I can't stand Lady Gaga and such stuff. In the Netherlands, it's getting more and more on the radio. Although I like dance music, this kind of music is TOO synthetic for my taste. Too plastic. Too overproduced. Etcetera.

I would like to see GaGa do a recording without all the electronic overdubs etc.  She has a tremendous voice and I think a recording like that would silence quite a few critics.

But yeah, her present music has way more "production" than is needed.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/09 at 1:04 pm

Auto tune will still be big, atleast until 2011 or 2012, music that's kind of like the stuff, from the early 90's (grunge/techo based) will be made, and the 80's comeback trend will be gone by 2011, to replaced by a 90's comeback.

Written By: 435wtr on 11/24/09 at 1:52 pm

I thought I was the only one who wasn't into much of this pop electric throwup explosion, I want to see a comeback of voices without synth with a guitar or one instrument

Written By: tnf on 11/24/09 at 10:26 pm

...and the 80's comeback trend will be gone by 2011

The faster, the better.

Please stop all the 80s crap. Cold synthetic music, the comeback of shoulderpads, etcetera.

I thought I was the only one who wasn't into much of this pop electric throwup explosion, I want to see a comeback of voices without synth with a guitar or one instrument

Or something like the Neptunes/N.e.r.d. did in the early 00s. It was also produced music, but it sounded way more 'human' than Lady Gaga and such stuff.

Written By: Kyle230 on 12/01/09 at 11:13 am

This is what I see coming:

Music:  Pretty much the early 2010s  (starting about 2009) is going to be this steady beat, auto tune, electropop type stuff such as Lady Gaga.  Lady Gaga, Kevin Rudolf, and all this stuff.  The R&B is going to sound whiter and whiter and pretty much the black sounding R&B is going on the adult R&B station.  R&B is starting to get a pop and dance feel to it, like every other genre of music, and I can even see that with Whatcha Say.  and Forever by Chris Brown.  Rap will fizzle out and pretty much it is going to be more of an 20th century old school rap feel for the diehards, the club stuff will be dead by 2011 or 2012.

Later in the '10s, '60s-'80s retro movement will die out and people will be craving something new.  We will vote for a Republican president and a lot of new styles in music will come in, like in the '80s.  The indie-hipster liberal craze will die.  I do agree with the '90s comeback, but I don't see a "grunge-alternative' '90s comeback...more of the dance and pop stuff of the '90s but it won't be another '90s.  By the end of the decade, trance will start to pick up and this dance-electronica music will be everywhere.  A more spiritual sense in music and more richer harmonies will come in and actually composed song, not beat orientated will come back.  Talent.

TV:  Early '10s will see leftover from the '00s but the reality shows are going to be these comedy type ones and family ones like the Duggars and Worlds Strictest Parents,  not these trashy ones like we have in the '00s that you still get in the '00s.  Reality TV will be very cheesy and pretty much lacks it's intelligence, like Silent Library on MTV and it will eventually die.  You'll still see your talent shows...that will be at least til 2015.  American Idol and Americas Got Talent will be going on in 2013-2014.  Primetime game shows will be on the rise and we will be on a Armageddon kick about 2012, of course.  A lot more sitcoms, more family orientated TV, a lot more classic TV shows on cable, and variety, since the Boomers will be aging and they want their TV.  Kidcoms and Hannah Montana type stuff will die and we will start seeing the classic Disney Channel again.  Movies will still be repetivitive on TV.

Technology and Cars:  Pretty much laptops are going to replace the desktop computer at home and everyone will have their own PC or PDA instead of the "family computers".  The home server deal will be a lot more popular, especially wit big family.  The internet will still be social, but we will start to have a backlash against the Facebook-MySpace-YouTube internet and it will be like the internet of the '90s, but more updated.  A lot more e-biz and that will crank the ecomony up.  Ebay will be huge again and the online music sharing will be huge.  The internet by the end of the decade will start to spread into our TV's and cars, etc....it is starting already with iPods and cell phones.  Wi-Fi will be a lot more common, causes a lot slower internet speeds because of the interferance of the signals.  All technology will be bright colors and not the bland techie colors.  Cars will start getting clunkier looking and it will be more like the '40s street rod with modern technology. Satelite radio will be still mainstream and terrestial radio might have to be digitized by about 2017 or so.  Cars will also be in bright colors and we will be more obsessed on more green engines and not just compacting the size.  Dial-up internet will be extinct (it is not supported now...even DSL is starting to lose it support.)  Internet speeds above 1 Mbs will be a lot cheaper than now...we now pay at least $60 a month for that speed of internet.  Very high speed internet will be down to the $30-$40 a month range.

Fashion:  Pretty much a lot more raver stuff and scene stuff...we might have a merge between '40s-'50s clothes with a late '80s-'90s fashion.  Shorter hair on men will be popular again and hair dye will still be popular.  Girls will start looking like girls and you'll not have as much casaul or '60s-'80s throwback.  Waves and curls will be a lot more common.  I can see a Lounge Culture type thing coming in the nexr decade.  Scene will become more raver ish.  The gangsta fashion will start to become old skool again and just the diehards will wear it.

Written By: Hendrix47 on 12/01/09 at 12:36 pm

^ That sounds like the apocalypse to me.

Written By: Dylan Fowler on 12/20/09 at 5:57 pm

I think music will definitely go in a very synth pop dance route. its going to be cheesy probably. Dance rock and rap will merge into one genre of overly produced and pitch corrected trash. The music industry will keep changing as we get more settled into our second decade of mp3 players, myspace, and illegal downloading. Movies will be ultra realistic, and everything will be filmed with a IMAX 3D camera and we'll all have to wear those plastic glasses to our movies until someone either learns to make them nicer and more comfortable, or they will become a fashion trend or someone will figure out some other solution... TV will make a comeback as it has slowly lolled people to sleep by beating them to death with terrible "reality" shows. MTV will make a throwback thing were it actually lives up to its name and shows music videos.

Written By: 435wtr on 12/20/09 at 7:47 pm

My guess is that most people will be pretty satisfied with the 10's decade just because it's likely to be entirely different from this one, which is a good thing in most people's minds.

Written By: Jordan on 04/02/10 at 3:20 pm

I personally see the 2010s as the modern 80s.  ;D The clothes will come first and last until 2018 or so and the hair will arrive in 2011 and last into the 2020's.  And the 80s fashion is getting bigger and more excessive (on the runways these last 2 years).  It won't be noticeable in the general public until 2012.

In terms of music, more techno and pop will endure until 2014 to 2016.  Then smooth rock will take over and dominate into the 2020s.

Not sure on TV shows.  Hopefully sitcoms will make a giant comeback and reality shows will decline.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 04/05/10 at 12:32 am

What do you think would be the fashion of the next will be?  How about the movies?  TV?  ???  I hope we are not flying around like the Jetsons

haha...this was written in 04, and by the end of the decade it's funny that he mentions "the jetsons"..psh..people trying to predict the future look sily when the future" becomes the present

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/18 at 5:00 pm

I think music will definitely go in a very synth pop dance route. its going to be cheesy probably. Dance rock and rap will merge into one genre of overly produced and pitch corrected trash. The music industry will keep changing as we get more settled into our second decade of mp3 players, myspace, and illegal downloading. Movies will be ultra realistic, and everything will be filmed with a IMAX 3D camera and we'll all have to wear those plastic glasses to our movies until someone either learns to make them nicer and more comfortable, or they will become a fashion trend or someone will figure out some other solution... TV will make a comeback as it has slowly lolled people to sleep by beating them to death with terrible "reality" shows. MTV will make a throwback thing were it actually lives up to its name and shows music videos.

TV has made a comeback, dead wrong about MTV though. You're right there were a lot of 3D movies. You were wrong on the second decade of mp3 players and myspace, that ship has sailed at the start of the decade. Illegal downloading is basically the norm now.

My guess is that most people will be pretty satisfied with the 10's decade just because it's likely to be entirely different from this one, which is a good thing in most people's minds.

Most people hate it, at least on here.

I personally see the 2010s as the modern 80s.  ;D The clothes will come first and last until 2018 or so and the hair will arrive in 2011 and last into the 2020's.  And the 80s fashion is getting bigger and more excessive (on the runways these last 2 years).  It won't be noticeable in the general public until 2012.

It's sort of like the modern '80s, especially in terms of graphics and aesthetics. This decade also has that cheesiness the '80s had too.

In terms of music, more techno and pop will endure until 2014 to 2016.  Then smooth rock will take over and dominate into the 2020s.

Replace smooth rock with trap and you would be right  ;D

Not sure on TV shows.  Hopefully sitcoms will make a giant comeback and reality shows will decline.

This decade really got big on the whole fantasy and drama theme with shows like Game of Thrones.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/18 at 5:40 pm

This is what I see coming:

Later in the '10s, '60s-'80s retro movement will die out and people will be craving something new.  We will vote for a Republican president and a lot of new styles in music will come in, like in the '80s.  The indie-hipster liberal craze will die.  I do agree with the '90s comeback, but I don't see a "grunge-alternative' '90s comeback...more of the dance and pop stuff of the '90s but it won't be another '90s.  By the end of the decade, trance will start to pick up and this dance-electronica music will be everywhere.  A more spiritual sense in music and more richer harmonies will come in and actually composed song, not beat orientated will come back.  Talent.

Yup, you guys voted republican.

Technology and Cars: Pretty much laptops are going to replace the desktop computer at home and everyone will have their own PC or PDA instead of the "family computers".  The home server deal will be a lot more popular, especially wit big family.  The internet will still be social, but we will start to have a backlash against the Facebook-MySpace-YouTube internet and it will be like the internet of the '90s, but more updated.  A lot more e-biz and that will crank the ecomony up.  Ebay will be huge again and the online music sharing will be huge.  ]The internet by the end of the decade will start to spread into our TV's and cars, etc...
.it is starting already with iPods and cell phones.  Wi-Fi will be a lot more common, causes a lot slower internet speeds because of the interferance of the signals.  All technology will be bright colors and not the bland techie colors.  Cars will start getting clunkier looking and it will be more like the '40s street rod with modern technology. Satelite radio will be still mainstream and terrestial radio might have to be digitized by about 2017 or so.  Cars will also be in bright colors and we will be more obsessed on more green engines and not just compacting the size.  Dial-up internet will be extinct (it is not supported now...even DSL is starting to lose it support.)  Internet speeds above 1 Mbs will be a lot cheaper than now...we now pay at least $60 a month for that speed of internet.  Very high speed internet will be down to the $30-$40 a month range.

Yes, spot on. Except instead of PDAs they are smartphones. Right about the cars too, they are a lot more boxy. Also spot on about the internet spreading to TV and cars, that happened more in the middle of the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/18 at 6:14 pm

Music, I have herd rumors that a new type of music is supposed to be herd later on in this decade a RUMOR. Even though i herd the rumor more than once ill believe it when I hear it..I didnt want any of u to say in like 2017 " Ohhh i remember i went a website and a crazy boy said that there would be a new type of music in the twenty teens " lol Im gonna be honest I like rap lol and i dont want it to go i ADMIT that there is rap music that is very raunchy and explicit but i didnt like rap for the lyric most of the time . I like Rap for its sound. Its something I can dance to. I dont see Rap disappearing like disco in the mid 80's . I see rap evolving with its first generation. Generation X(born 1961/63-1981). As Generation X gets older the rap will change along with it. Just the same as video games. somehow they will make video games that will appeal to the elder Generation X er's (as time goes on) that first embraced it ;D

Lol nobody said that in 2017 you're good.  ;D

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 7:44 pm

Lol nobody said that in 2017 you're good.  ;D

Lol

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/18 at 8:08 pm

Reading these is so funny. People are saying the same thing today about what they said last decade. And people were saying how 2009 would look cheesy in 10 years and after 9 years it does. It's funny going in the past and seeing these predictions. Everyone was so optimistic for this decade just like everyone is optimistic about the '20s now. Everyone thought the 2010s would be better than the 2000s. That may be an indicator the '20s won't be that much better than the '10s or maybe even worse.

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 8:20 pm

Reading these is so funny. People are saying the same thing today about what they said last decade. And people were saying how 2009 would look cheesy in 10 years and after 9 years it does. It's funny going in the past and seeing these predictions. Everyone was so optimistic for this decade just like everyone is optimistic about the '20s now. Everyone thought the 2010s would be better than the 2000s. That may be an indicator the '20s won't be that much better than the '10s or maybe even worse.

When the 2020s arrive or 10 years later people will look at our comments and predictions for the 2020s like we were optimistic for the next decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/21/18 at 8:58 pm

Reading these is funny. People are saying the same thing today about what they said last decade. And people were saying how 2009 would look cheesy in 10 years and after nine years it does. It's funny going in the past and seeing these predictions. Everyone was so optimistic for this decade just like everyone is optimistic about the '20s now. Everyone thought the 2010s would be better than the 2000s. That may be an indicator the '20s won't be that much better than the '10s or maybe even worse.

When the 2020s arrive or 10 years later people will look at our comments and predictions for the 2020s like we were optimistic for the next decade.
I agree these predictions are hilarious, except the original question was asked five years too early. No one was generally thinking about the 2010s in 2004. By the time it was revived, that was a better time to make projections.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/21/18 at 9:31 pm

I personally don't think that the electronic-based music, Dance-Pop, and autotune style music that we have now will define the 2010s at all.  I personally think it'll be kind like the New Jack Swing genre.  New Jack Swing music like Bobby Brown and NJS-influenced music like "Rhythm Nation" era Janet Jackson was popular from 1989 to 1991.  However, that style started to lose popularity in 1992 and was completely gone by 1993.  Either the musicians were no longer popular or they, like Janet Jackson and even Boyz II Men to a degree (Motownphilly = totally different from all their other songs) changed their styles to reflect more modernized stuff.

I think the current trends of Dance-Pop, electronic-based music, and autotune will go the same way.  Popular from 2009 to 2011, fading in 2012, and gone by 2013.  These trends will be a defining part of the early 2010s, but won't have much of a lifespan beyond that.  At least, that is my prediction.

Yo I haven't seen you in a while! How've you been?

Oh and btw you were right on the money on this prediction. The (VERY) Late 2000s/Early 2010s electropop, indie, and dubstep genres were at their peak from 2009-2011, started to decline in 2012, and were gone by 2013, around when the mid 2010s era of EDM, indie/hipster, and modern teen pop music overtook its popularity.

You could also make the argument that 2012, or more accurately the 2012-2013 school year, was the last firm Y cultured year pop culturally, with 2013-2014 being the start of the Y/Z transition. I think by looking at things retrospectively; currently in mid 2018 we seem to have finally crossed the generational threshold and pop culture, geared mainly towards those in their youth stage (middle school, high school, college), has finally entered into the Gen Z era, especially in relation towards music.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/22/18 at 12:50 pm

You could also make the argument that 2012, or more accurately the 2012-2013 school year, was the last firm Y cultured year pop culturally, with 2013-2014 being the start of the Y/Z transition. I think by looking at things retrospectively; currently in mid 2018 we seem to have finally crossed the generational threshold and pop culture, geared mainly towards those in their youth stage (middle school, high school, college), has finally entered into the Gen Z era, especially in relation towards music.

I think so too. The March for Our Lives definitely felt like "Gen Z is here". Also, this is the first year where normies seem to have discovered Gen Z's existence, similar to the discovery of boomers in 1967, the discovery of Gen X in 1991, the discovery of Millennials in 2000 (class of 2000 media blitz), the rediscovery of Millennials in 2012 (when it became this huge clickbait sensation), etc. I saw this go viral on Facebook:

https://i.imgur.com/ksj5cZA.jpg

(though it's stupid because only 80 kids/teens ate tide pods, yet people act like 80 million kids/teens did it)

Written By: ofkx on 05/22/18 at 1:06 pm

I agree, from what I've noticed previous decade trends carry on a couple of years into each new decade, so my guess is that the 2010s won't really have a unique identity until 2012 or so

So, he was kinda right. 2010/2011 don't seem as 2010s as 2012 onward.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/18 at 1:42 pm

So, he was kinda right. 2010/2011 don't seem as 2010s as 2012 onward.

I actually think 2010 - 2012 seem the most 2010s out of any other period this decade. The culture of that era was really in your face and when people look back they would play songs like Party Rock Anthem on 2010s night I bet.

Check for new replies or respond here...