inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All Music Guide (AMG) The new redesign, WHY?

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/07/04 at 6:53 pm

AMG, All Music Guide was one of my favorite sites. It was a simple, direct and fact filled site for information on music styles, artists/bands etc.

Well on July 1st or so they redesigned their site, optimized for IE browsers and filled with bugs, script errors, timeouts (extremely slow server) and each and every link running JavaScript dependent (which themselves do not work properly). There are some who cannot access anything past the main page, clicking on a link does nothing. Sometimes I have this problem, and sometimes the links work, very frustrating (I’m running IE 6.0, JavaScript enabled, have allmusicguide listed as a trusted site, and Norton Ad blocking off, as they, AMG suggest, and still have problems viewing the site!)

Before, putting in an artist name or song gave you most of all the info you ever wanted on one page, now each band/artist has separate tabs for albums, songs, credits and so forth. All the info that was once displayed on one page is split over 5 or 6 different pages, and with the slow server and other java bugs, this only makes the site more difficult to navigate.

To put it simply, allmusicguide and the new redesign SUCKS.

As a huge music fan and collector, the allmusicguide.com was my savior, the information was thorough and detailed. The site was simple, user friendly and best of all, it was FREE. Don’t misunderstand, the old site had its issues, but nothing one couldn’t overlook due to an overwhelming cache of information available on AMG and it was extremely user friendly... I used to recommend this site to anyone with questions on music or info on an artist or band, not anymore.

Instead of making the site better with more information, or more info accessed easier they have created a buggy, complicated site, with too many unneeded bells and whistles to be of any use to anyone who needed a good reference for music. >:(

I’m no web designer/programer, but even I can see the obvious failure and flaws in this redesign.

Anyone else having problems/issues with the redesign of this site?

Subject: Re: All Music Guide (AMG) The new redesign, WHY?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 08/08/04 at 1:44 pm

i agree. AMG was one of my favourite sites. the only benefit is now you can get a 10 second audio sample for a lot of songs. well, most songs can't be really judged in a 10 second clip....yeah, the site now sucks... :\'(

Written By: lebeiw15 on 08/08/04 at 4:53 pm

I totally agree.

The old layout was so simple and easy-to-read.  I don't like to complain, but the new site SUCKS.

Written By: bj26 on 08/09/04 at 7:08 am

Anyone else having problems/issues with the redesign of this site?

Yes, I've found similar problems with AMG. Do you know of an alternate site that provides same info? I heard there's one but I don't know the url.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 08/09/04 at 9:23 am

http://www.artistdirect.com

I never liked it as much as AMG, though. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/09/04 at 12:57 pm

I hated the new design as well.

HOWEVER

there is a new savoir out there for those of us smart enough to use Firefox (a Mozilla offshoot)

http://www.holovaty.com/blog/archive/2004/07/19/2210

pretty bad when you need to rely on the Internet community to fix your website and make it usable again

Written By: T on 08/09/04 at 1:00 pm

I enjoyed AMG as well because they had good information about the entertainers and their music. Now I think the AMG website has gone from good to terrible.

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/09/04 at 10:13 pm

I hated the new design as well.

HOWEVER

there is a new savoir out there for those of us smart enough to use Firefox (a Mozilla offshoot)

http://www.holovaty.com/blog/archive/2004/07/19/2210

pretty bad when you need to rely on the Internet community to fix your website and make it usable again

Thanks for the info Chucky.
I've noticed that users of Firefox seem to be a bit more on top of things, too bad AMG didn't use or even try and get some feedback from the net community and actual users of its site before redesigning the old site.
If it ain't broke...
Does anyone have any fixes for IE users?
I've followed all the suggestions from AMG to try and make the site work properly with no success...Its pretty bad when a site has to get its users to reconfigure their computers settings just to view their site.
Can't imagine their advertisers are happy about the situatin either.

Check for new replies or respond here...