inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WANNA PISS OFF LOSER LARS.........

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/27/04 at 10:54 pm

It's better than the old Napster, Win MX and Kazaa....it's

www.bearshare.com

live it, love it.....download it ;)

Subject: Re: WANNA tick OFF LOSER LARS.........

Written By: Bobby on 08/28/04 at 5:34 am

It's better than the old Napster, Win MX and Kazaa....it's

www.bearshare.com

live it, love it.....download it ;)

I haven't tried this before, RockandRollFan. Thanks for sharing it with us. I have downloaded the ad supported version.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/28/04 at 10:12 am

Is this free cause if it isn't,I might be billed for something that never said FREE. :(
I might try it one day. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 10:13 am

I haven't tried this before, RockandRollFan. Thanks for sharing it with us. I have downloaded the ad supported version.  ;)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 10:15 am

Is this free cause if it isn't,I might be billed for something that never said FREE. :(
I might try it one day. :)

Howard
It's like kazaa but without all the annoying spyware....so far anyway! I've had it for about a month now, with no problems, Howard ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/28/04 at 10:46 am

It's like kazaa but without all the annoying spyware....so far anyway! I've had it for about a month now, with no problems, Howard ;)

I'll try it soon but not right now.I have too much music stuff such as Winows Media Player,Winamp & Spinner.

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/28/04 at 11:46 am

I downloaded it free, Howard. The nice thing about bear-wear is it can do searches for more than one thing while you are making another search - very nice and time saving.

Thanks again, RockandRollFan. I've heard about it but you are the one that brought it to my attention.  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 12:21 pm

I downloaded it free, Howard. The nice thing about bear-wear is it can do searches for more than one thing while you are making another search - very nice and time saving.

Thanks again, RockandRollFan. I've heard about it but you are the one that brought it to my attention.  :D
You can multiple search on the others too....but you are very welcome, Bobby ;)

Written By: Fred on 08/29/04 at 1:52 am

Thanks for sharing man, I get really angry at Kazaa Lite, and Kazaa, because the files downloads are so slow.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 08/29/04 at 11:15 am

So,what should I do about Winamp,Windows Media Player,Spinner and other stuff?

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/29/04 at 11:16 am

I have to wait till I get a new sound card to use music.mine died. :(

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/07/04 at 9:33 pm

IMO LOSER LARS is way overrated as a drummer.....Neil Peart,the late John Bonham and Keith Moon,I could go on and on...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/07/04 at 10:26 pm

IMO LOSER LARS is way overrated as a drummer.....Neil Peart,the late John Bonham and Keith Moon,I could go on and on...
I think his rating as a human ranks below his drumming skills ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/08/04 at 4:19 am

I think his rating as a human ranks below his drumming skills ::)
My opinion is Lars is just in it for the MONEY..... :P

Written By: Apricot on 09/08/04 at 6:39 pm

limewire is good too... Free.... no spyware.... It does harass you a lot about going PREMIUM, though.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:07 pm

limewire is good too... Free.... no spyware.... It does harass you a lot about going PREMIUM, though.

I'll give it a try sometime in the future.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:08 pm

My opinion is Lars is just in it for the MONEY..... :P

Who's LARS?  ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 09/09/04 at 6:22 pm

Who's LARS?  ???

Lars Ulric is from Metallica, Howard. He made a big song and dance about people using Napster to download free files. I'm not sure if he single-handedly brought it to it's knees though.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/09/04 at 11:00 pm

Lars Ulric is from Metallica, Howard. He made a big song and dance about people using Napster to download free files. I'm not sure if he single-handedly brought it to it's knees though.

Yeah...like he NEEDS another leer jet >:(

Written By: Apricot on 09/10/04 at 2:40 pm

Yeah...like he NEEDS another leer jet >:(

Agreed. Anyone with THAT much money shouldn't be whining about downloads. A less appreciated group, with less money, might have the right to complain.

Written By: Bobby on 09/10/04 at 6:33 pm

A free download is a free download but, as I realised lately, nothing compares to having the real CD (and they can be cheap as well - no excuse for anyone who is able to afford internet connection). The normal range to find music downloads on Kazaa/WinMX/Bearshare is about 128 - 192 kbs which indicates the quality of the download. 320 kbs is supposed to be CD quality but because it is MP3 Format, it is still a compressed media and therefore still inferior to the real thing.

As a rule, I tend to download music for my MP3 player which is a major tool for work. To put it to a CD with no official covering or labelling is like eating chips (fries) without salt - it doesn't feel right.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/04 at 5:27 pm

I also wonder why Lars and the powers that be haven't penalized radio stations that play entire LP's with no interuption...that's also another way I get my music :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/12/04 at 12:23 am

I also wonder why Lars and the powers that be haven't penalized radio stations that play entire LP's with no interuption...that's also another way I get my music :)
I recently downloaded the free version of BearShare...I found some pretty rare stuff...for example I found the FIRST version of 'Hello It's Me' the slow version which Todd Rundgren recorded with NAZZ....and I have no problem with sound quality BTW,it sounded pristine.....wow! Take that LOSER LARS...!

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/04 at 6:24 am

I recently downloaded the free version of BearShare...I found some pretty rare stuff...for example I found the FIRST version of 'Hello It's Me' the slow version which Todd Rundgren recorded with NAZZ....and I have no problem with sound quality BTW,it sounded pristine.....wow! Take that LOSER LARS...!

Lol. Yeah Lars.  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/04 at 8:59 am

There's a video they run quite often of Todd in some very small venue, singing a slow "Heelo, It's Me"....could that be the one you mean ???

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/13/04 at 11:36 pm

There's a video they run quite often of Todd in some very small venue, singing a slow "Heelo, It's Me"....could that be the one you mean ???
No...it's that song,just an MP3 not a video.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/13/04 at 11:40 pm

Guess ol' loser Lars does not care that many new bands get exposure thru people downloading their songs...Lars needs to get off his friggin' high horse cause he's not holier than thou..

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/04 at 2:13 am

Guess ol' loser Lars does not care that many new bands get exposure thru people downloading their songs...

Most artists, probably even Metallica, supported downloading in the beginning, because it was a good way to promote upcoming releases and help spread the word about new artists. At first, that's how it was used, but since then it's become the most widespread form of copyright theft and piracy in the world. It was only when it became obvious how much income they potentially stood to lose did artists get up in arms about it. Lars Ulrich wasn't the only person to come out against it, but he was the one with the highest profile and of course he was taken the most seriously. It's not just musicians who lose through downloading. Authors, artists, software developers, game designers and even architects have their intellectual property stolen from them every minute of the day. "Loser" Lars lives in a $10 million dollar house and has his own private jet. How did he get that rich? In the years before downloading, people actually paid money to buy his records. It doesn't matter how many people download his music now, he's already made his fortune. But the way people download stuff these days, not just music but films, books, games, etc., it's going to be increasingly more difficult for creative artists to make money from their art. Sure, downloads help new artists get exposure, but if everyone downloads their stuff and no one buys it, they don't make any money to make anything else. I've seen entire threads on this very message board where posters here have crowed about never buy CDs anymore because they download everything. Why shouldn't musicians get upset about that? It costs them money to record albums. They don't just wish them up on the spot out of thin air. Why shouldn't a musician who's put time and sweat into creating something get upset when people are stealing it whosesale off the Internet, sometimes before it's even come out? That's what they do for a living!  I've argued this before, but it seems everyone gets more upset about someone trying to stop stealing than they do about the effects it causes. What worse is that no one wants to believe that it really is stealing. It is! I know guys in bands who have calculated they have lost up to 60% of their projected income from Internet pirates. Lars is a business man protecting his assets from theft and potential theft. I don't see anyone here criticising Don McLean for taking out an international trademark on the phrases "American pie", "starry, starry night" or "the day the music died", and suing people who use them without his permission, yet that pretty much amounts to the same thing.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/14/04 at 6:58 pm

Most artists, probably even Metallica, supported downloading in the beginning, because it was a good way to promote upcoming releases and help spread the word about new artists. At first, that's how it was used, but since then it's become the most widespread form of copyright theft and piracy in the world. It was only when it became obvious how much income they potentially stood to lose did artists get up in arms about it. Lars Ulrich wasn't the only person to come out against it, but he was the one with the highest profile and of course he was taken the most seriously. It's not just musicians who lose through downloading. Authors, artists, software developers, game designers and even architects have their intellectual property stolen from them every minute of the day. "Loser" Lars lives in a $10 million dollar house and has his own private jet. How did he get that rich? In the years before downloading, people actually paid money to buy his records. It doesn't matter how many people download his music now, he's already made his fortune. But the way people download stuff these days, not just music but films, books, games, etc., it's going to be increasingly more difficult for creative artists to make money from their art. Sure, downloads help new artists get exposure, but if everyone downloads their stuff and no one buys it, they don't make any money to make anything else. I've seen entire threads on this very message board where posters here have crowed about never buy CDs anymore because they download everything. Why shouldn't musicians get upset about that? It costs them money to record albums. They don't just wish them up on the spot out of thin air. Why shouldn't a musician who's put time and sweat into creating something get upset when people are stealing it whosesale off the Internet, sometimes before it's even come out? That's what they do for a living!  I've argued this before, but it seems everyone gets more upset about someone trying to stop stealing than they do about the effects it causes. What worse is that no one wants to believe that it really is stealing. It is! I know guys in bands who have calculated they have lost up to 60% of their projected income from Internet pirates. Lars is a business man protecting his assets from theft and potential theft. I don't see anyone here criticising Don McLean for taking out an international trademark on the phrases "American pie", "starry, starry night" or "the day the music died", and suing people who use them without his permission, yet that pretty much amounts to the same thing.

I understand and respect your view, Powerslave. I just like getting the old stuff....from LP's that I already paid for years ago :)

Written By: Bobby on 09/14/04 at 7:05 pm

I don't see anyone here criticising Don McLean for taking out an international trademark on the phrases "American pie", "starry, starry night" or "the day the music died", and suing people who use them without his permission, yet that pretty much amounts to the same thing.

That's because I didn't know that. Powerslave. That's even more pathetic.  ::)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/04 at 7:15 pm

I understand and respect your view, Powerslave. I just like getting the old stuff....from LP's that I already paid for years ago :)

:) I appreciate that, but the thing is that Metallica's stand against downloading wasn't aimed at people like us (cause I do the same) who are looking for hard-to-get and deleted rarities, or stuff on old albums that you don't want to re-purchase. Specifically, they got upset about all the people who downloaded "I Disappear" from the MI:2 soundtrack before it was released, costing them and the producers millions of dollars. IMO, Metallica actually did the right thing, but they went about it in completely the wrong way. :)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/04 at 7:28 pm

That's because I didn't know that. Powerslave. That's even more pathetic.  ::)

I only found out about this after hearing an interview with him as he's touring Australia at the moment. I'm unaware of any lawsuits he may have raised, but the producers of the "American Pie" film series had to pay him royalties so they could use the phrase as a film title.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/14/04 at 7:44 pm

:) I appreciate that, but the thing is that Metallica's stand against downloading wasn't aimed at people like us (cause I do the same) who are looking for hard-to-get and deleted rarities, or stuff on old albums that you don't want to re-purchase. Specifically, they got upset about all the people who downloaded "I Disappear" from the MI:2 soundtrack before it was released, costing them and the producers millions of dollars. IMO, Metallica actually did the right thing, but they went about it in completely the wrong way. :)
Thanks, Powerslave :)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/04 at 7:51 pm

Thanks, Powerslave :)

:) No probs. I've had a few issues lately with copyright thieves, so I can understand how the Dane feels. :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/23/04 at 12:43 am

I only use BearShare to download older stuff and rarities that are hard to find anywhere else...BearShare also has pictures to download...found some cool custom cars and NASCAR driver pics there.

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 6:02 am

I only found out about this after hearing an interview with him as he's touring Australia at the moment. I'm unaware of any lawsuits he may have raised, but the producers of the "American Pie" film series had to pay him royalties so they could use the phrase as a film title.

LOL. I forgot about the implications of the title of that film, Powerslave - they paid royalties ha ha!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...