inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hope Florida survives Frances

Written By: blackdog on 09/04/04 at 12:26 am

Not sure if this has been discussed or if there's already a thread for it?   But hope everyone in Florida survives that nasty Frances!  Bolt down the hatches, board up the windows and pray. 

Wonder where all the 2 1/2 milion people are evacuating to??

Subject: Re: Hope Florida survives Frances

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/04/04 at 12:29 am

Not sure if this has been discussed or if there's already a thread for it?   But hope everyone in Florida survives that nasty Frances!  Bolt down the hatches, board up the windows and pray. 

Wonder where all the 2 1/2 milion people are evacuating to??
I don't know but I too hope everyone is safe ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/04 at 10:55 am

I hope everyone stays safe as well.

I was just watching a story about Frances on the weather channel.  The weather lady said that there is yet another tropical storm that could develop into a hurricane.  Let's hope it doesn't head for Florida, too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/04 at 12:05 am

Big hurricanes are terrible, but in Florida they're inevitable.  The best you can do is pay your steep insurance premiums, and bail out when they tell you to.

Written By: Fred on 09/05/04 at 3:11 am

People in Florida, and any hurricane area should be living in concrete bunkers, not wood-frame houses.  :-\\ Hope they're alright though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/04 at 8:07 pm

People in Florida, and any hurricane area should be living in concrete bunkers, not wood-frame houses.  :-\\ Hope they're alright though.

Or trailers.

I have a friends who's parents live in Ft. Peirce-that is where Frances made landfall. I just called her to see how they are doing. She wasn't there but I talked to her husband who told me that her parents "rode out the storm". I was shocked when I heard that. I thought they were going to evacuate. Well, anyway, they are ok (didn't really ask about their house-was just worried about them). They do have phone service but no lights.

I have another friend who's daughter is also in Fl-in West Palm Beach. She also made it through ok. Again phone but no lights.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 3:36 am

Yes, you're right Fred. I've never understood that. Again, I hope everybody is fine in Florida.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/06/04 at 1:07 pm

That is not much help, when most of the damage is actually from the flooding and not the wind.

We are getting ready for Francis to hit us now.  While the winds will "only" be about 65 mph, we are expecting 6-9" of rain in the next 12-24 hours.  Considering most of Florida (and this area too) is very low elevation.  I live about 100 miles north of where it is striking land in the Panhandle area, and our elevation is only about 150'.  It does not take much to cause flooding here, and with half a foot of rain, we are expecting a lot of it.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/06/04 at 1:18 pm

Big hurricanes are terrible, but in Florida they're inevitable.  The best you can do is pay your steep insurance premiums, and bail out when they tell you to.

And what is the alternative?

We also bail out California after the earthquakes, the NE after it's winter storms, the central US after tornadoes, and the North West after it's fires.

Almost every area of the country gets occasional natural disasters.  The idea of insurance is to "spread the cost".  Of course, you do not HAVE to have insurance.  Fell free to not own it.  But then don't complain when you loose everything.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/04 at 5:00 pm

And what is the alternative?

We also bail out California after the earthquakes, the NE after it's winter storms, the central US after tornadoes, and the North West after it's fires.

Almost every area of the country gets occasional natural disasters.  The idea of insurance is to "spread the cost".  Of course, you do not HAVE to have insurance.  Fell free to not own it.  But then don't complain when you loose everything.

I will take snow anytime over all the other stuff that Mother Nature can dish out.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/06/04 at 5:35 pm

I will take snow anytime over all the other stuff that Mother Nature can dish out.

Actually, I would also.  In fact, I will take Earthquakes over these hurricanes and tornadoes at any time.

Right now, I am staying at home, even though there is a voluntary evacuation underway.  But I have everything I need in my van, and a full tank of gas.  If the word comes out that evacuation is needed, I am gone within 5 minutes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/04 at 5:42 pm

Actually, I would also.  In fact, I will take Earthquakes over these hurricanes and tornadoes at any time.

Right now, I am staying at home, even though there is a voluntary evacuation underway.  But I have everything I need in my van, and a full tank of gas.  If the word comes out that evacuation is needed, I am gone within 5 minutes.

Just be safe.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 6:07 pm

That is not much help, when most of the damage is actually from the flooding and not the wind.

I thought a hurricane was a big load of wind. Surely it must cause some damage to properties? ???

We are getting ready for Francis to hit us now.  While the winds will "only" be about 65 mph, we are expecting 6-9" of rain in the next 12-24 hours.  Considering most of Florida (and this area too) is very low elevation.  I live about 100 miles north of where it is striking land in the Panhandle area, and our elevation is only about 150'.  It does not take much to cause flooding here, and with half a foot of rain, we are expecting a lot of it.

I hope it passes over you without causing too much harm.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/04 at 6:31 pm

I thought a hurricane was a big load of wind. Surely it must cause some damage to properties? ???

Wind, rain (thus the flooding) and even tornados. I heard that at Ft. Peirce in Fl. the marina basically survived the storm. After the storm passed, the high tide came in and most of the boats were washed to the dock, knocking into other boats. Many sank there at the dock, some got loose and were lost. They survived the storm but not the high tide. Unreal.

Cat

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 6:35 pm

Wind, rain (thus the flooding) and even tornados. I heard that at Ft. Peirce in Fl. the marina basically survived the storm. After the storm passed, the high tide came in and most of the boats were washed to the dock, knocking into other boats. Many sank there at the dock, some got loose and were lost. They survived the storm but not the high tide. Unreal.

Hmmm! Strange how Mother Nature goes about her business, isn't it?

Written By: Marian on 09/07/04 at 2:38 pm

;D :D ;D :DWho is Hope Florida,and what did Frances do to her ;) ;) ;)LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DCheers!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/07/04 at 8:03 pm

Actually, the wind tends to do less damage then the rain.  Most of the buildings that collapse do so because of the WATER, not the wind.  When you get 6-12" of water an HOUR falling, it has no place to go.  If it pools up on a roof (especially a flat roof like a lot of business have), they collapse.  Also, all that water can often undermine the foundation, which then allows the wind to push the building over.

We had a long day, but most of the storm blew itself out here by 7pm.  We got about 9" of rain total, and peak gusts of only about 65mph.  But we are already getting ready again, because next weekend we get Ivan.

Written By: bj26 on 09/08/04 at 8:20 am

Just spent the past week hold up on a cruise ship. We were supposed to get back to Miami last Friday but the port was closed until Sunday night and we got off on Labor day at noon.  We just sat the weekend out about 200 miles south west of Florida in the Gulf making our original 5 day cruise into a 8 day!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/04 at 10:33 am

Now it's time to say hi to Ivan!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...