inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coca Cola name origin

Written By: goodsin on 09/04/04 at 11:33 am

Was thinking the other day. In botany, a "cola" is a flowering head of a plant, and "coca" is the name of the plant cocaine is derived from. Coca Cola alledgedly used to contain cocaine, does anyone know if the name "Coca Cola" is derived from the fact they used to use the colas of the coca plant in their recipe? I know there is a plant called the Kola nut that may also have contributed to the name, does anyone know the "truth" behind this??

Subject: Re: Coca Cola name origin

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/04 at 11:41 am

Was thinking the other day. In botany, a "cola" is a flowering head of a plant, and "coca" is the name of the plant cocaine is derived from. Coca Cola alledgedly used to contain cocaine, does anyone know if the name "Coca Cola" is derived from the fact they used to use the colas of the coca plant in their recipe? I know there is a plant called the Kola nut that may also have contributed to the name, does anyone know the "truth" behind this??

Coca Cols still contains extracts from the coca plant as part of the secret formula.  The Coca Cols Company runs a plant (I think in New Jersey) that operates under the auspices of the DEA, which decocainizes the coca leaves.  The cocaine is sold for medicinal purposes, while the other flavour extracts are used for making Coca Cola.

Written By: Bobo on 09/04/04 at 11:48 am

As far as I remember, (and I'm never any good at remembering stuff..) Coca Cola is named for two medicinal ingredients, Coca (Erythroxylon), a blackthorn bush plant, and kola nuts (from Nitida or vera), which have high caffeine content and were originally used to make Coca Cola soft drink.

Of course nowadays, this flavour is more artificialized.

(Thanks also to LyricBoy who got his post in before me and is a lot better at explaining stuff normally, as well as being far more knowledgeable than I).

Edit: And yes, I do have tons of useless information, as well as botanical, medical, and species/genus type names stored up in this head of mine..

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/04 at 3:47 pm

Edit: And yes, I do have tons of useless information, as well as botanical, medical, and species/genus type names stored up in this head of mine..

Just think, BoBo, when you reach 47 years old as I will shortly, how much useless yet curiously fun information you will have accumulated.  ;D

Written By: Bobo on 09/05/04 at 9:14 am

I think it's more for the sake of breaking the ice at dinner parties and suchlike.. though I usually end up cowering in embarrassment by the end..

Just think, BoBo, when you reach 47 years old as I will shortly, how much useless yet curiously fun information you will have accumulated. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...