inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sucker patrol again: well known psychics....

Written By: saver on 09/05/04 at 1:19 am

Sure we've heard some of the BIG names supposedly doing great pychic readings on tv and radio ie..Van Pragh(?),Sylvia Brown, John Edward...
Do you know their prices? Most IN PERSON READS=$500 range!!!!

Did ONE of them predict 9/11 NO!!!! CASE CLOSED! :P

Any find Shandra Levy? OOPS!  :-*

If they are good they can charge ??$$ but why...they'll only get high class rich people or people killing their savings for 1 meeting or more!

Charge whatever and people will come up with whatever amount until it's too much, but then look who they supposedly read for...is this helping those with deep concerns - which is what I thought 'spirit' would talk from the dead to help those of us left here??? Gee, thanks dad, there goes my house down payment for trying to reach out and touch you in the great beyond!!!

There must be a psychic market out there in the 3 world countries...what would THAT line look like or have we ever seen one....maybe they don't have neon lights there yet to put in the window...? Imagine those situations...we spent our 'yearly' income to get an hour talking to Zwimutu in the great beyond! He said everything is fine...

Just was on my mind that's all....

saver 

Subject: Re: Sucker patrol again: well known psychics....

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/04 at 8:34 am

Sounds like these psychics are, indeed, legitimate.

They can make $500 appear out of nowhere!  ;D ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/04 at 12:03 pm

Sure, you have many so called "psychics" (remember Miss Cleo and her psychic network? ::)), but there are people out there who are legit. You also must know (and I believe this from personal experience), that anyone could be psychic. I've had many premonitions, many dreams, that did come true. Unfortunately, they were all bad. :P

I'd also like to point out that if you know anything about the psychic world, you can't always control what you predict. The ones that claim they can are full of sh*t.

Written By: saver on 09/05/04 at 1:19 pm

I know about 'psychic' experiences and was amazed when they occur..I guess I was just ranting about how they have outrageous prices to supposedly help others but there are soo many needing help out there (with lost relatives or mysteries), that the only people they ARE helping are those with money to burn while some of the people that need it have no one to help them....Hmm. maybe there should be a state fund for 'low wage earners' who need psychics, the city could put one on retainer?? Never heard of that one huh?

occassionally, you would hear how police had no clues and went to a psychic and may have found whatever??

Anyone ever really hear of a legit psychic who won the lottery???
That would be a great first line in an advertisement for one but that has yet to be seen...(maybe that should be the first question to ask them..ever win the big lottery? NO..Okay,...SEE YA!!

Written By: AL-B on 09/05/04 at 1:29 pm

I've always wanted to meet that phony b***h "Miss Cleo" just so I could ask her to her face that if she really is psychic and can see into the future, then why didn't she do everything within her "power" to try and stop the 9/11 attacks??? >:( >:( >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/04 at 1:38 pm

I do believe that there are people with true psychic ability. I have some on occasion but not all the time. When it does happen, the one who is most surprised by it is myself. I really don't think that most "true psychics" use their abilities to make money. Many work with police departments and such to solve crimes. I also think that others are afraid to use their ability because of people like Miss Cleo and others who are frauds. If you say that you are psychic, people may think you are a fraud, too.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/04 at 2:01 pm

Don't forget Dionne Warwick and her Psychic Friends Network.

If she were really psychic, she woul dnot have to keep asking for directions to San Jose.  :P

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/04 at 3:27 pm

I do believe that there are people with true psychic ability. I have some on occasion but not all the time. When it does happen, the one who is most surprised by it is myself. I really don't think that most "true psychics" use their abilities to make money. Many work with police departments and such to solve crimes. I also think that others are afraid to use their ability because of people like Miss Cleo and others who are frauds. If you say that you are psychic, people may think you are a fraud, too.

Cat

Exactly my point, only you said it better. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/04 at 4:05 pm

Exactly my point, only you said it better. ;D

Thanks.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/05/04 at 5:07 pm

What about hypnotists? We had a 'famous' hypnotist in Britain called Paul McKenna and had a half-hour show at one time. I could swear he was dealing with people from the Amateur Dramatics Workshop nearby.  ;D

He now sells self-help books and tapes based on hypnotism.

Written By: saver on 09/05/04 at 5:47 pm

Did Ms. Cleo ever do time?

As far as being good at predictions and not looking to make money, fine...then why do they charge so much?

I'll read someone for 1 mil$ and never need to work again...if they are doing it to help, how much help are they really giving if they are good...they are just comforting..again, I'll do THAT for 1 mil$.

Hypnotists (on stage ) at least, are doing a show...the victims usually give in to bark or moo so they don't just stand there while the guy is asking them to do something.

(P.S. There is a famous regurgitator out there...do you really think he is swallowing light bulbs and keys?)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/06/04 at 2:52 am

(P.S. There is a famous regurgitator out there...do you really think he is swallowing light bulbs and keys?)

Actually yes he does - if you mean the blonde british guy.  I have been to several of his shows - during one he sat on my lap as I fed him several different wedding rings from around the room - he then regurgitated them (bone dry) into my hand as each woman described her ring.  He was topless at the time and let us search his mouth - there was no faking what he had achieved.  He has also been xrayed (in Australia) while swallowing in order for doctors to prove how he does it.

As for TV psychics - I have always been of the belief that anyone who does it for profit on TV is a fake.  True psychics use their given talent for good - not for profit.

I will admit to "seeing" 911 before it happened.  I dont profess to being psychic but I have had dreams over the years that have come true.  For ten years I had very distinct dreams about planes flying thru skyscrapers.  Every member of my family and my large circle of friends had listed to my descriptions of these dreams - very detailed descriptions - over those ten years and each one is documented in my daily diary.

The day after Sept 11 I recieved dozens of phone calls from friends and family saying they had just seen my dreams on TV.

Since Sept11 I have never had another "plane" dream.

I have dreamed about family events for up to 5 years before they have occured and I dreamed about the Port Arthur massacre for over 20 years before it occured - and like the planes - since the massacre I have never had another dream about Port Arthur.

I definately do not profess to being a "see-er".  I dont know why I had the dreams.  They concerned me enough at the time to write about them and tell people about them - they would happen weekly over those years.

These John Edward types - plenty of them in every country - simply use vulnerable people and and process of elimination to get the answers/revelations they desire.

"I am seeing someone who wore red a lot, hmmm maybe its marroon, brown ? orange?"

"Yes my aunt wore orange"

BINGO - another sucker looped in !

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 3:39 am

These John Edward types - plenty of them in every country - simply use vulnerable people and and process of elimination to get the answers/revelations they desire.

"I am seeing someone who wore red a lot, hmmm maybe its marroon, brown ? orange?"

"Yes my aunt wore orange"

BINGO - another sucker looped in !

LOL. Got it in one BMG! Have you noticed John Edwards talks quite fast as well. I'm sure this is to distract the listener.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 09/06/04 at 4:35 am

Personally, I do think a lot of them are complete fakes..but, I, for one, believe in Sylvia Browne, sorry! 
And I must say, I heard something once that does seem interesting to me..."Psychics are the only people  that aren't allowed to be wrong or make a mistake".  :-\\

Not saying I buy into all of them--very few of them, actually..but I do think there are some people out there with those kinds of abilities.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/04 at 8:42 am

I have had a few episodes in my life, but I'm not sure if they were psychic, or just some
intuitive sense of things around me.  When I was very young saying my bedtime prayers
I ended with "and please don't have grandpa die tonight".  Well I thought what a foolish
thing to think, he was healthy and never had been sick to, my grandmother had just had
a bout with cancer, but not him.  Yes, the next day he was dead of a stroke.  Now, was
it a psychic thing, or did I have an intuitive sense of something not being quite right when
I had seen him that day.  I don't know.  My grandmother went on for another 30 years by the
way.  Things like that happen to me, I seem to sense.  But I'm not sure if the rise to the psychic
level.

Written By: saver on 09/06/04 at 2:03 pm

Well, Ibelieve inintuition as well since we are all bodies of electricy we can pick up various vibrations like when aperson may be deceiving etc..

As odd asthis may sound, I had no idea of it:
I was searching the web Sun. night 9/6 and found the website to COAST TO COAST with George Noory a popular show with talk on UFO'S and strange topics......

Mon.(tonight) His guest is a guy who will be talking about FAKE PSYCHICS and the bunch!!!!!

I guess it was in the air that reached my conciousness!???

Now that's one for the books....check it out tonight wherever they air it near you(it's syndicated) than we will all hear how they are out there and I guess others experiences!

This is getting weird........... :o 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/04 at 2:18 pm

I've had plenty of psychic experiences over the years but like somebody else said here I can't predict anything.  I just somehow "know" when things are happening but do not realize it until I hear it in the news.

-Back in 1989 one morning, while shaving, I wondered what would happen if the big gun on an Iowa-class battleship (the only one we had at the time) blew its beech.  Later that day, the USS Iowa's gun blew, killing 47 sailors.

-In 1998 I had this dream that I was in a commando team and we were going to shoot a tanker truck to explode the "target" (whatever that was...hey it was a goofy dream).  That morning it came out that the US Tanzanian Embassy had been blown up by terrorists who drove a tanker truck up to the building and then shot it 'till it (and its explosives) blew up.

-Several situations where a family member was having some sort of physical illness (that I did not know about) but I was having identical symptoms, 400 miles away.

...But nothing that I could make money off of, like bending spoons and stuff.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 8:12 pm

psychics will never predict the future.They don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow.We never know ourselves. ???

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/04 at 10:33 am

You know those teevee psychics are "for entertainment purposes only"!
;)

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:21 pm

;)

I think they read scripts before talking to the audience.They know who will get picked beforehand.
And what kind crap are those tarot cards anyway?  ::)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/04 at 10:53 am

Howard

I read tarot cards but I do it only for friends-never made a single cent of them. There is meaning in the cards if you know what you are looking for. As far as those people who read cards over the phone, you really don't know which cards are actually coming up. I think they tell you what they think you want to hear.

Cat

Written By: Powerslave on 09/09/04 at 7:38 pm

The problem with predicting the future is that no one believes you before an incident occurs, and we blame yo for doing nothing afterwards.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 9:15 pm

I read tarot cards but I do it only for friends-never made a single cent of them. There is meaning in the cards if you know what you are looking for. As far as those people who read cards over the phone, you really don't know which cards are actually coming up. I think they tell you what they think you want to hear.

Cat

What I'll do on phone is just hang up cause it's all phony baloney.Who knows what they're reading. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 9:17 pm

The problem with predicting the future is that no one believes you before an incident occurs, and we blame yo for doing nothing afterwards.

psychics will never predict the future.I don't even know what's gonna happen tomorrow. ::)

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/04 at 10:09 pm

I think they read scripts before talking to the audience.They know who will get picked beforehand.

Howard

The televangelist Peter Popov got busted doing that in the '80s.  He had special earpiece inserted and his wife used to  tell him which audience members to call up to the pulpit.  So the old lady would be walking up the aisle, and his wife would be feeding him all the info about her and her kidney stones, or whatever, so it would look like Popov had divine inspiration.  The jig was up when some journalists intercepted the radio signal before the sermon and heard Popov's wife sing-songing, "Petie, Petie I love you, Petie, can you hear me? If you can't, you're in trouble...."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/04 at 10:11 pm

Cat

My aunt used to read Tarot for money.  She never claimed to be psychic, she just knew the cards and what they meant.  I guess if you're god enough, people will pay for a reading, and that's the free market.

Written By: AL-B on 09/09/04 at 11:00 pm

I have a friend who was casually dating a girl several years ago, and she actually called a telephone psychic to ask about him. The psychic told her that he was THE guy for her and that she should hang on to him at all costs. She then told my friend what the psychic told her and naturally he couldn't get away from her fast enough.  :o

Back in the 90's, at the height of the psychic hotline fad, I remember seeing a commercial that actually had the gall to say, "Tired of all of these phony psychics? Then try some REAL psychics! We're the 'American Association of Professional Psychics!' Call us now at 1-900..." and so on. Why?!? Why are people so stupid to actually believe this crap?!?

Written By: Howard on 09/10/04 at 8:08 pm

I think those psychics with those phony 1-900 numbers are stupid. first,You are charged 35 cents a minute for them to talk to you.Then,you're billed for an hour(or whenever) of talk for $21.00.The phone company actually needs more money than those crazyass psychics with crystal balls. ::)

Howard

Written By: saver on 09/11/04 at 2:22 pm

Does anyone know of any psychic that HAS found a missing person..THERE YOU GO!

Where are they with this Peterson case...pretty mums the word huh?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/12/04 at 1:30 am

Does anyone know of any psychic that HAS found a missing person..THERE YOU GO!

I know of quite a few cases in Uk and Australia where bodies have been found with the help of psychics who are permenantly employed by police.  There is a crime website I use to read regularly that had a section dedicated to files on those cases.  I lost the link in a computer crash and cant for the life of me find it again (maybe I need psychic help haha).  If I find it I will post the addr.  I think it was an English site with links to Aussie and European cases.

I am sure there is an equivilent US site out there.

One of our TV stations did an experiment earlier this year with an old unsolved 70's murder case. They took (seperately) 3 psychics to an intersection and asked them to lead them to an unsolved crime. They were blindfolded on the way and driven out of the way first so when they got to the intersection they were not even aware of what suburb they had been driven to.

All three ladies walked up the same street (having a choice of four at the intersection), to the same house, walked inside and described the murder, pointed out what room it occured in - how the body was positioned - what book the girl was reading before she died, described the murderer, right down to what he was wearing that night over 30 years ago.  The detail all three supplied was close to identical to each other - even tho all three had never met and the filming was done on different days. 

The murder was not heavily reported at the time it occurred as it was considered "unremarkable" so the info the women came up with was not something they could have studied up on in advance, they were only told at the intersection that a major crime had been committed in the vicinity - they were not told it was a murder and they werent told how old the case was, nor that it was unsolved.

Police opened up the case again and found the family friend who fit the psychics profiles and reinvestigated with the new info - he admitted the murder and has now been charged.

I thought they were going to turn this show into a regular thing but so far thats the only case they have done.  I found it quite an interesting show, especially as neither of the three ladies were TV or Magazine psychics, one had helped police on occassion and the other two were ladies who worked from home.  All were over 50.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/04 at 10:12 am

I bet those psychics use tape recorders in order to have and keep a somewhat recorded sound of that person who they're trying to contact from the dead and people actually believe that crap. ::)

Howard

Written By: saver on 12/29/04 at 4:56 pm

See my latest in 2000's

To REPEAT:

now do you believe they are psychic????!!!!!

When one of the most devastating events take place SYLVIA BROWN can talk to the aliens but why didn't she warn anyone planning a trip to Sri Lanka???

FRAUD!!!!!!

AND...WILL MONTEL BRING THIS UP ON HIS NEXT VISIT WITH HER???

Written By: tv on 12/31/04 at 12:55 am

Psychics-I really don't beileve in them. However I was down on a vacation in the summer time and actually did the taret card thing though. The psychic told me I worry too much about things and the psychic was right I worry about alot of things like crazy. The psychic said you can get an ulcer from worrying too much or something like that. The psychic also said don't let people take advantage of you. That was weird because alot in my past people have taken advantage of me. The psychic also said think about something and I was thinking about different women who have talked with in my life who I thought were very friendly or had an attraction towards. I have never talked with alot of women or had alot of women friends. However since the visit to the pschyic I actually feel more comfortable talking with women now than guys. The psychic was like you get married at this and this time. I was like wooh I wonder if this particular psychic was sort of on the right track actually.

With all this said I would probably never visit a psychic again. I was just doing it for fun.

Written By: Bobby on 12/31/04 at 10:32 am

;)

If only they were entertaining . . .  ;D

Written By: saver on 01/08/05 at 5:34 pm

Did ANY psychic predict the Brad and Jen split?

It's just people BUYING into the entertainers/psychics that keep them around...I heard a girl call one ona radio show bawling here eyes out..if they told her she would get a personal reading in a week, she would have stopped everything and got on with her life, tucked away those tears and would have a whole new question for that psychic which goes to show you...people are just interested in someone telling them anything...

The same can be said about a person who can't go on with their life, ready to KILL themselves and the psychic puts them on a list that is 6 months away to get a reading...ever notice that person finds a way to stay alive for another 6 months???

Don't be a sucker....
Did anyone see WHITE NOISE yet?? 

Written By: philbo on 01/08/05 at 5:43 pm

There's a psychics' conference on this weekend at the Cricket Club - there's been signs advertising it for a few weeks.  I couldn't help but wonder why they need the signs, though...

On a more serious note, there was a chap I heard on the radio a few months ago talking about his research into how planes that have crashed have a statistically significant lower occupancy rate, and the number of people who've cancelled at the last minute for planes that go on to crash is much higher - I can't find any stats published on the web, so I guess he's not finished yet.  I think the point he was trying to make was that lots of people have that little psychic kick - IIRC, he said everyone does, but not everyone acts on it.  I'd love to know where he gets the data to back up that little statement, too.

Written By: saver on 01/08/05 at 5:50 pm

A BOOK WAS WRITTEN AND MAY HAVE BEEN MENTIONED EARLIER..FOR THOSE WITH THESE QUESTIONS AND OTHERS, GOT TO SKEPTICS.COM

It may open some eyes...if planes were predicted to crash so accurately, why doesn't the news do a daily report to people planning to fly each day like the weather report...Sylvia Brown I believe said it is not like a switch you can turn on and off, it just happens to her..I asked her if she couldn't see something about someone- (like some psychics may say "I'm having trouble reading you,since so many wrong things are coming up"), I asked if she ever refers someone to a psychic down the street or someplace else that could help the person? Her answer was that she can read ANYONE and tells them what she sees....

The new NBC show "medium" is out DOING WELL, John Edward is off..why did he even start his show? Didn't he see it wouldn't work out?     

Written By: AL-B on 01/08/05 at 11:58 pm

The televangelist Peter Popov got busted doing that in the '80s. 
Peter Popov? If I ever go into the porn industry, that will be my pseudonym.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 7:35 am

If half of the psychics where really psychic, could they predict that one day they would face massive lawsuits?  ???

By the way, South Park did a really funny episode about John Edwards, called "The Biggest ***** Bag In The Universe".  ::)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...