inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: School Eliminates Holiday Parties

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/04 at 11:54 am

Yeah, yeah, I know school is for learning, but COME ON! ::)

People taking the fun out of school

Subject: Re: School Eliminates Holiday Parties

Written By: Joelle on 09/08/04 at 12:00 pm

That isn't fair. School can be fun ONCE IN A WHILE!

Written By: Kryllith on 09/08/04 at 12:08 pm

Easily solved. Apparently one of the administrators says they could have a party based on the studied subject matter (something we used to do on occasion when I was in school anyway). Just need to study Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's day. :)

Kryllith

Written By: Apricot on 09/08/04 at 2:33 pm

Of course! What better way to "raise test scores" then to make school one step closer to Hell! Marvelous!

Yes, that was sarcasm. School is already dull for the vast majority, why make it completely soulless? Sure, like 80s_cheerleader's district does, limit the parties. But don't get rid of them, that's just wrong.

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/04 at 2:48 pm

Of course! What better way to "raise test scores" then to make school one step closer to Hell! Marvelous!

Yes, that was sarcasm. School is already dull for the vast majority, why make it completely soulless? Sure, like 80s_cheerleader's district does, limit the parties. But don't get rid of them, that's just wrong.

My thoughts exactly. How is eliminating parties going to raise test scores? If they wanted to raise test scores and teach more, they should stop giving the kids so many d*mned holidays. For example, my sister gets THREE weeks off for Christmas, a week and a half for Spring Break, and a two and a half month summer break. That's also not counting all the days they get off for stupid things.

I also don't buy that stuff they said about some kids not participating because of personal beliefs. I knew a girl who was a Jehovah's Witness and even SHE participated in that stuff. Sure, she didn't get dressed up for Halloween, but she kept in the spirit of things. Even during Christmas, she didn't have a problem with it. I also had a friend who was Muslim. She participated as well, although I'm sure she didn't tell her strict as hell father. :o

Written By: Apricot on 09/08/04 at 2:58 pm

Some people really do get hung up on

HALLOWEEN CELEBRATES THE OCCULT! DON'T TALK TO OR LOOK AT THE SINNERS OR TALK TO THEM, LEST YOU BE SENT TO HELL!!!!

thing, though. They say "Don't you dare be in ANY spirit, or you'll go to HELLLLLLLLL!".

If only people did the research, they would see most Halloween customs we're started to WARD OFF dark spirits. A similar custom conducted by African tribes was dressing in masks for the SOLE PURPOSE of scaring away demons. The candy bit, however, was started by someone else. I think this is actually a Swedish tradition, from what I have read. It is a bit more occult then the masks, though. Meh.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/08/04 at 3:40 pm

Seriously though, don't knock others beliefs (regardless of how silly they mean seem to you). I don't truly celebrate the day of Halloween myself, but my son still goes out trick and treating in costume. When he grows up, he'll make the choice to continue doing so or not. Also, I never believed in Santa Claus either. I thanked my parents and prayed to God thanking him for providing my parents with the means to provide any gifts they were able to. I didn't give "credit" to some other entity. Besides, in my old neighborhood, Santa wouldn't have survived with all those gifts!  ;D As for my son, it's still up to debate with my husband!

As for banning holiday parties, kids these days aren't having any fun. First, they ban dodgeball. Now, holiday parties. What's next? Wait, I've heard of a district trying to ban recess. Go figure! However, as a parent, I can understand. You do have to be mindful of others b/c kids are going to school (hopefully) in a diverse setting with many cultures and beliefs. Think about the Jewish kids who can't really participate in a Christmas parties. I had a teaching colleague who tried to have a St. Patrick's party for a class full of Black and Latino students. It didn't fly well with the layout b/c she was the only person of Irish descent there. Either have parties for all or no parties at all. It's fair and balanced, I guess. Parents can always give parties at home, if it's so important.

Tanya

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/04 at 4:42 pm

You do have to be mindful of others b/c kids are going to school (hopefully) in a diverse setting with many cultures and beliefs. Think about the Jewish kids who can't really participate in a Christmas parties. I had a teaching colleague who tried to have a St. Patrick's party for a class full of Black and Latino students. It didn't fly well with the layout b/c she was the only person of Irish descent there. Either have parties for all or no parties at all. It's fair and balanced, I guess. Parents can always give parties at home, if it's so important.

Tanya

That is true. I would love for it to be diverse like that and have the kids as a class study what different holidays mean while having a little celebration. That way they would be learning something AND having fun. ;D

It just sucks that they want to cut off what has become a tradition for the elementary schools. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/04 at 5:07 pm

If these schools had effective curricula to begin with, they wouldn't have a problem taking an afternoon for cake and costumes.
::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/08/04 at 7:30 pm

I'm glad it isn't anywhere in my state (Conner Prairie Farm doesn't count, does it? ;)). It is a sad state of affairs when self-righteous board members try to take the fun out of any school.

Written By: Marian on 09/08/04 at 7:56 pm

Seriously though, don't knock others beliefs (regardless of how silly they mean seem to you). I don't truly celebrate the day of Halloween myself, but my son still goes out trick and treating in costume. When he grows up, he'll make the choice to continue doing so or not. Also, I never believed in Santa Claus either. I thanked my parents and prayed to God thanking him for providing my parents with the means to provide any gifts they were able to. I didn't give "credit" to some other entity. Besides, in my old neighborhood, Santa wouldn't have survived with all those gifts!  ;D As for my son, it's still up to debate with my husband!

As for banning holiday parties, kids these days aren't having any fun. First, they ban dodgeball. Now, holiday parties. What's next? Wait, I've heard of a district trying to ban recess. Go figure! However, as a parent, I can understand. You do have to be mindful of others b/c kids are going to school (hopefully) in a diverse setting with many cultures and beliefs. Think about the Jewish kids who can't really participate in a Christmas parties. I had a teaching colleague who tried to have a St. Patrick's party for a class full of Black and Latino students. It didn't fly well with the layout b/c she was the only person of Irish descent there. Either have parties for all or no parties at all. It's fair and balanced, I guess. Parents can always give parties at home, if it's so important.

Tanya
:o :o :oMy brother in law is Jewish,o'k.,not Orthodox,and he celebrated Christmas,Easter and the other holidays we celebrate.Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:05 pm

Why would they want to get rid of holiday parties? ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/09/04 at 12:45 pm

:o :o :oMy brother in law is Jewish,o'k.,not Orthodox,and he celebrated Christmas,Easter and the other holidays we celebrate.Cheers!

I see and understand your point. But, he's also married to someone who's non-Jewish. It's not unusual for one spouse to celebrate with the spouse who's not of the same religion.  ;)

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/09/04 at 1:15 pm

In my little po-dunk school, there was a girl who was JW and she didn't participate in ANYTHING.  Not even when someone brought in "treats" for their birthday.  Guess it just depends on how someone is raised and how devout they believe.

Exactly!

Tanya

Written By: Apricot on 09/09/04 at 2:09 pm

If these schools had effective curricula to begin with, they wouldn't have a problem taking an afternoon for cake and costumes.
::)

Brilliant Point.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/04 at 6:34 am

This week, in my city the schools shut down for Rosh Hashanah.  This has been going on for as
long as I can remember, and as long as my mother can remember.  There was a time when the
Jewish population was so large that they decided to close the schools for the the holiday.  I grew
up knowing about Seder supper, Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, dreidles, potato kugel, and the real
taste of pumpernickle(for which I will always be grateful).  A few years ago some of my fellow
"Christians" thought that we should stop the practice, feeling it was no longer necessary because
the Jewish population has dwindled considerably.  It also happened that that year, because of the
number of snow days the school board voted to keep the school open on Good Friday to satisfy the
number of school days before the end of the school year.  A teachers aid said to me, in front of my
child, "why should they get their holiday and we don't get ours" I guess she thought I felt the same.
I told her, in front of my son, that she was never to us the us or them scenario in front of any child
again. I reminded her that because of that one day a year, Rosh Hashanah, I was raised with a
respect of a religion other than my own that I had carried through my life, and I hoped that it worked the
same for any other who had been exposed to the practice.  I also reminded her that although we had one
day for the Jewish religion, the Christians had a week and a half at Christmas and Good Friday and so she
didn't have anything to complain about.  When it came before the school board to cancel the Jewish holiday
a lot of people raised the same thought that I did.  If you cancel the Jewish holiday, cancel the Christian Holiday
as well.  All of the sudden a lot of people decided that having the Jewish holiday was a good thing.

Written By: Jessica on 09/13/04 at 11:35 am

All of the sudden a lot of people decided that having the Jewish holiday was a good thing.

But of course. They were in danger of losing their own fun. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...