inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random Feeling about September 11th

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/10/04 at 1:59 am

I know this may seeming coming out of nowhere, but i just wanted to see if anybody out here could identify with how I'm feeling, Just trying to see if I'm the not the only one that gets like this....

You know what i hate about september 11th, how they etched that date into my (our?) brains forever. Right now i was just pouring some milk in my coffee and the expiration date read "Sept 11th" and i nearly dropped my coffee mug. I just felt a pang of hurt and i felt stung. When the moment passed, I just though how that wasn't right, how before 2001 that date didn't mean anyhing to me and now it had such power to make me feel. And I'm not even sure why. I live in Los Angeles, i lost no relatives or anyone close to me there, it just has stayed with me, like something about my world  that felt "safe" was robbed from me and my family that day. It happens other times too, like when i see a movie on TV where the old New York skyline is with the towers, i just feel that
pain and scariness. A lot of thing i hear advice people " don't feel that way, it gives the terrorist power, thats what they want etc..." But I'm not so sure about that..how do you just "not feel" something?

I know that this board is largely about pop culture and i rather enjoy it, but I guess the reason i posted here is because it did happen "in the 00's"  and I guess I'm just searching to understand through others feelings and experiences about. And i would welcome anyone to respond and would be immensely grateful.

Thanks,
Maylene

Subject: Re: Random Feeling about September 11th

Written By: karen on 09/10/04 at 3:52 am

I don't know exactly how old you are but from your photo (if that is you) I'd say you were still in your early teens.  If so it may just be that you feel emotional over 11th September because it was your first major 'disaster' that you seen reported.  And it was such a big thing that was talked about for a long time afterwards.  These images then get locked away in your brain and it can be hard to set them free.

All you can do is try and believe that lessons have been learnt and everything possible is being done to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

I suppose, as a Britisher, I don't know what sort of coverage the anniversary is getting in the States.  It may be that you just need to switch off the tv for a few days to stop giving yourself more grief.

To me 11th September is my dad's birthday so it's always been a significant date.

Written By: Jessica on 09/10/04 at 4:18 pm

It's normal to feel like that. I know I still get a twinge when I see the towers in old movies or on shows. In all honsety, I usually have to stop myself from crying when I run across the newspapers I saved from that fateful day and from the week that followed. Heck, I'm getting teary eyed about it right now.

Even though you ddin't know anyone that died, it still pulls at you. I don't know if that feeling will ever go away. I still have dreams (nightmares?) where I'm stuck in one of the towers as it comes down. I've never been to New York, so having these dreams is just bizarre.

Written By: Bobby on 09/10/04 at 6:16 pm

I suppose, as a Britisher, I don't know what sort of coverage the anniversary is getting in the States.  It may be that you just need to switch off the tv for a few days to stop giving yourself more grief.

That is quite true. Despite the world changing from that day on (I agree nothing has been the same since), I'm not too sure how many British people/people outside the USA are affected by this date. From my personal viewpoint, if you have lost loved ones, then it is obviously a date of immense grief. If you haven't lost loved ones, a date is a date and the focus should be on the present rather than the anniversary of any disaster. To get a panic everytime you see a date is a bit over-the-top.

Written By: gemini61 on 09/10/04 at 7:00 pm

That is quite true. Despite the world changing from that day on (I agree nothing has been the same since), I'm not too sure how many British people/people outside the USA are affected by this date. From my personal viewpoint, if you have lost loved ones, then it is obviously a date of immense grief. If you haven't lost loved ones, a date is a date and the focus should be on the present rather than the anniversary of any disaster. To get a panic everytime you see a date is a bit over-the-top.

I don't think seeing the date would put me "over the top" but I do know that seeing that footage on TV makes me sick. When I see those buildings coming down and think of all the people that were trapped in there it's just hard to comprehend  what they went through and what their families did and are still going through.  So, whether you have personally lost loved ones or not, there is still emotion there.  :(

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 09/10/04 at 7:24 pm

I feel the exact same way when I see that number. I just finished watching the HBO tribute a little while ago and it made me feel the exact same way as if I saw it for the first time.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/04 at 7:42 pm

Sometimes when I see my clock and it reads 9:11,I freak out even though they're only numbers :o

Howard

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/11/04 at 1:26 pm

I don't know exactly how old you are but from your photo (if that is you) I'd say you were still in your early teens.  If so it may just be that you feel emotional over 11th September because it was your first major 'disaster' that you seen reported. .

Maybe this isn't the right way to respond, but I think this reply is a bit unfair.I guess I look young, always have, but I'm actually 26 with a husband and a daughter. This replier made me come off like my feelings about sept 11th are  immature, and thus tried to invalidate how I felt. I know lot of people even older than me that feel the same.

It seems , sorry to go here, but I'm just gonna say it. It may be because you are British. It seems to me that you cant understand, because your country wasn't attacked, terrorism is scary worldwide, and i guess that it dididn't hit close enough to home so as you could understand it.

Sorry if this mail is coming off harshly, its just that it was really uncool to read the first reply as well "the reason you are so emotional" explained away as that I'm not mature enough to feel properly. I guess because i look young.

Sorry for all that, just had to be said

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/04 at 6:10 pm

I just lit a candle in my window. I think we were all touched by it in some way. They are holding a candlelight vigil at our firehouse which touches our property. I heard people singing the Star Spangled Banner (not very well  :-\\). Yes, I do remember. I do mourn for those over 3000 people that I never knew.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/11/04 at 8:17 pm

Sometimes when I see my clock and it reads 9:11,I freak out even though they're only numbers :o

You're kidding me?

Written By: Bobby on 09/11/04 at 8:32 pm

Maybe this isn't the right way to respond, but I think this reply is a bit unfair.I guess I look young, always have, but I'm actually 26 with a husband and a daughter. This replier made me come off like my feelings about sept 11th are  immature, and thus tried to invalidate how I felt. I know lot of people even older than me that feel the same.

I must come to Karen's aid, Mayleneo. She was merely coming to a conclusion (albeit a false one) based on the photograph in your avatar. She meant no harm in what she said.

It seems , sorry to go here, but I'm just gonna say it. It may be because you are British. It seems to me that you cant understand, because your country wasn't attacked, terrorism is scary worldwide, and i guess that it dididn't hit close enough to home so as you could understand it.

You are probably right. Maybe it hasn't hit closer to home and Terrorism is scary but I still think it's a bit over-the-top to get anxious over anything with the numbers 9-11 next to them. My grandad died in October 2001 (a very important date for me) but I am not going to feel funny if I have £10 and 1 pence in my hand. You may say to me "But Bobby your grandad's death is nothing compared to 9/11" but that occurance makes me feel the way you feel about 9/11.

I am not trying to be belittle your feelings, I just think that, despite 9/11 being a completely tragic case and one we can sympathise with, numbers are just numbers.  ;)

Sorry if this mail is coming off harshly, its just that it was really uncool to read the first reply as well "the reason you are so emotional" explained away as that I'm not mature enough to feel properly. I guess because i look young.

No worries, you made your point.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/04 at 9:15 pm

I wish more of my fellow Americans could understand how their country's foreign policy set the stage for the 9/11 massacres WITHOUT jumping to the erroneous conclusion that doing so condones terrorism or suggests that the massacred victims deserved to be murdered.

MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES OF ALL THE VICTIMS OF THE TERRORIST ATROCITIES OF SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.  MAY YOUR LOVED ONES BE AT PEACE.
:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/04 at 9:17 pm

Well, today my Colorado Buffaloes played a make-up game against Washington State....the game was supposed to be played on September 15, 2001 but was called off for obvious reasons....It was played today....the 3rd anniversary of the tragedy. Also, on Monday September 10, 2001, the Denver Broncos beat the New York Giants and I remember thinking what a great game it was )Except for Ed McCaffrey's leg being broken) and anticipated ESPN to make a big deal of it the next day...little did I or anyone else know :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/04 at 9:40 pm

I know how you feel about getting pegged as teen, I've always looked young for my age.  I got carded for liquor until I was 28, and had many people just assume I was in my teens into my mid 20s!
:-[

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but people from other countries started to view America as self-absorbed and myopic the way we behaved like 9/11 was the worst atrocity in the history of mankind.  Nobody outside America treated the massacres as anything less than a savage abomination and a heart-rending tragedy.  However, among the more than six billion souls on planet Earth, Americans lived relatively free from the kind of terror, genocide, and political mayhem visited upon other people around the globe day by day. 
From East Timor to the West Bank, from Bosnia to Bantustan, death and destruction is the daily lot for many millions at any given time.  Terror atrocities such as the slow-motion armegeddon in Central America were made possible courtesy of Uncle Sam, and the carnage is a thousnd times worse.
I'm not saying we should downplay 9/11, but that we should put it in a global perspective, all mankind being equal.

Written By: Jessica on 09/11/04 at 10:10 pm

I'm not saying we should downplay 9/11, but that we should put it in a global perspective, all mankind being equal.

Well said, Maxwell.

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/11/04 at 11:20 pm

I know how you feel about getting pegged as teen, I've always looked young for my age.  I got carded for liquor until I was 28, and had many people just assume I was in my teens into my mid 20s!
:-

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but people from other countries started to view America as self-absorbed and myopic the way we behaved like 9/11 was the worst atrocity in the history of mankind.  Nobody outside America treated the massacres as anything less than a savage abomination and a heart-rending tragedy.  However, among the more than six billion souls on planet Earth, Americans lived relatively free from the kind of terror, genocide, and political mayhem visited upon other people around the globe day by day. 
From East Timor to the West Bank, from Bosnia to Bantustan, death and destruction is the daily lot for many millions at any given time.  Terror atrocities such as the slow-motion armegeddon in Central America were made possible courtesy of Uncle Sam, and the carnage is a thousnd times worse.

Absoutley, i think that was very well said, I completely agree. The holocaust for one and you are right in perpective its something happening everday in  many global places. Its just that perspective sometimes takes a distant seccond to pain. Thanks so much though for pointing out perspective, its good and refreshing to be reminded::):)

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/04 at 5:55 am

I suppose this was where I was coming from, Maxwell in my post previously. I'm not even trying to downplay 9/11, 9/11 was a severe event and it cost the lives of thousands but we just have to be careful of the 'maddening crowd' syndrome (OMG I saw a potato that looked like the world trade centre! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! Kind of thing).

It takes some guts to say this to a predominantly American board so you will have to excuse me if you think I'm out of line.  :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/12/04 at 9:42 am

Amen MaxwellSmart.  It takes some real ****s to say what you said on a good ol' boy, flag waving American board. 

Back in 2001, I was devasted by September 11th.  But for the past year or so, I just get a disgusted feeling whenever I hear about 9-11 or see images of the towers.  No it's not the same shock and patriotic feelings I had in 2001, this time it's just pure disgust at the Bush Jr. Adminstration.  9-11 took on a different meaning to me after seeing how Bush Jr. and the militant Republicans emotionally blackmailed people with that tragedy for their own selfish, imperialistic political agendas. 

I'm sick of hearing about September 11th, dare I say it's an over-hyped and overrated tragedy.  I thought we wouldn't hear about 9-11 anymore after say 6 months after the incident, or perhaps a year.  But no, every freakin' day some  news anchor or newspaper journalist talks about it.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/04 at 10:00 am

You're kidding me?

No,I'm not kidding.I guess it's just weird for me to see the time reading 9:11. ;D

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 1:17 pm

I think it has to do with the fact that everything in the U.S. seems to scream out 9-11. It wasn't done with the bombing of the federal building in Okla. City or any other tragedy that has occured in the nation. But, the way our society is since Sept. 12th, 2001 reflects that tragic day. For days after that was all you saw on t.v. 24 hours a day and it didn't matter what station you watched. The way we now travel definally reflects that. How many American flags did you see before and how many do you see now? They are on cars, houses, even on overpasses on the highways. I don't know about anyone else but when I see a flag on a car, I don't think of the U.S., I think of 9-11 because I am sure that person who owns that car put it on on that day. We in the U.S. are constinately reminded of it so it seems to imbedded into our psyche. I'm not saying that we should totally forget what happened. But, it probably is a bit of overkill and this present Adminstration is pepetuating that by using our sense of loss by it as a means of moving their agenda.

I am just as guilty as others on keeping it alive. I have a small flag in my front window (and my peace sign that is in my signature line). A friend just sent me a link that is a tribute that includes pictures of that tragic day. I sat here watching it, crying my eyes out. I really don't know if it is time for the U.S. to move on or not but we should never forget. 

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/04 at 1:36 pm

Memorials are fine to have...I use Blaines key ring everyday and still have a very small tribute for Nicole Brown

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/04 at 2:45 pm

For me, I remember Kennedy, Kennedy, King, Oklahoma City, and the World Trade Center.
They all leave a lifelong numbing feeling that you wish it had never happened and wish
you could change it all.

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/12/04 at 4:01 pm

Well when you live 15 mins away from"Ground Zero" 9/11 is just a sinking feeling that just won't go away. Currently I'm all the way in Massachusetts. On 9/11 my brain did not register the date until someone said it to me and then I felt sick to my stomach. I literally had to stop and collect myself for a moment.I guess it's safe to say that in way i am still freaked out about the whole situation. The scariest thing is that I know manhattan like the back of my hand BUT I cannot for the life of me remember what streets were near WTC or what buses ran by there.
To this day I still shudder at the sound of airplanes and now Thunderstorms which I used to love pre-9/11 now frighten me. I don't like to hear the boom. Needless to say it'll be a cold day in you know where before i set foot on a plane again.

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/04 at 4:58 pm

I'm sick of hearing about September 11th, dare I say it's an over-hyped and overrated tragedy.  I thought we wouldn't hear about 9-11 anymore after say 6 months after the incident, or perhaps a year.  But no, every freakin' day some  news anchor or newspaper journalist talks about it.

Interesting point. It seems that every newspaper journalist is talking about because this is the card Bush needs to condone everything he has done/is doing. I think it is sick. If you want to help someone Bush, help the Russians.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/04 at 5:30 pm

For me, I remember Kennedy, Kennedy, King, Oklahoma City, and the World Trade Center.
They all leave a lifelong numbing feeling that you wish it had never happened and wish
you could change it all.
I think of poor Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedy tragedies don't bother me quite as much :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/04 at 5:48 pm

I think of poor Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedy tragedies don't bother me quite as much :-\

Yeah, but you weren't really there, too young,  I'm old enough to remember all of it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 6:32 pm

Well when you live 15 mins away from"Ground Zero" 9/11 is just a sinking feeling that just won't go away. Currently I'm all the way in Massachusetts. On 9/11 my brain did not register the date until someone said it to me and then I felt sick to my stomach. I literally had to stop and collect myself for a moment.I guess it's safe to say that in way i am still freaked out about the whole situation. The scariest thing is that I know manhattan like the back of my hand BUT I cannot for the life of me remember what streets were near WTC or what buses ran by there.
To this day I still shudder at the sound of airplanes and now Thunderstorms which I used to love pre-9/11 now frighten me. I don't like to hear the boom. Needless to say it'll be a cold day in you know where before i set foot on a plane again.

Being as close as you were I'm sure it probably effected you more than many of us who are/were miles and miles away. During Columbus Day weekend that year (just over a month after) we were in D.C., military planes kept flying over head and it really made me nervious. There was one point, there were people doing some tree work close to where we were (I think they were cutting down dead trees or something). One branch fell to the ground with a crash. At first, fear really set in me until I realized what it was.

Someone said to me afterwards when they suspended all the airflights that it seemed strange not to have planes in the air. Here it was the opposite. We usually NEVER have planes going overhead because we are so far away from any airport but during that time, military planes were constinately flying overhead.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/04 at 7:20 pm

Thanx, Glad to know its not just me , LOL, cant tell you how many times little old ladies at the mall have scolded me for being "one of the Teenage mothers" :P

You mean they actually make remarks like that?  The nerve!  Even if you were, it wouldn't be any of their affair!  I'd tell those old grannies MYOFB, and that stands for My Your Own Business!
;)
Although, I must admit, there is huge shopping mall down the highway from here I call "Land of the 32-year-old grandmothers."
;D

Absoutley, i think that was very well said, I completely agree. The holocaust for one and you are right in perpective its something happening everday in  many global places. Its just that perspective sometimes takes a distant seccond to pain. Thanks so much though for pointing out perspective, its good and refreshing to be reminded::):)

And thanks for your feedback.
:)

Chris MegatronTHX wrote:
Amen MaxwellSmart.  It takes some real ****s to say what you said on a good ol' boy, flag waving American board. 
Eh, I got nothing to lose.  I'm on the Move On.org email list.  After the election (is stolen again) I'll probabaly just get sent to Guantanamo Bay anyway!
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/04 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, but you weren't really there, too young,  I'm old enough to remember all of it.
Unless you were at her home...All I know is that the theories make a LOT of sense....but since you said I was too young I'll drop it for now ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 7:56 pm

Eh, I got nothing to lose.  I'm on the Move On.org email list.  After the election (is stolen again) I'll probabaly just get sent to Guantanamo Bay anyway!

Don't worry. Carlos and I will keep you company.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/12/04 at 11:29 pm

You mean they actually make remarks like that?  The nerve!  Even if you were, it wouldn't be any of their affair!  I'd tell those old grannies MYOFB, and that stands for My Your Own Business!
;)
Although, I must admit, there is huge shopping mall down the highway from here I call "Land of the 32-year-old grandmothers."
;D

God... i wish i had the nerve to say the MYOFB, with the F LOL to some old ladies:P:P

COOOOLLLL!!!! ;D Im on the Moveon.org list also......Another great list i love is Michael Moore's List, are you on that one its great. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

www.michaelmoore.com

Intersting reading also:P
http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/index.php?id=16

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/04 at 12:54 am

God... i wish i had the nerve to say the MYOFB, with the F LOL to some old ladies:P:P

COOOOLLLL!!!! ;D Im on the Moveon.org list also......Another great list i love is Michael Moore's List, are you on that one its great. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

www.michaelmoore.com

Intersting reading also:P
http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/index.php?id=16

Uh oh, you're gonna end up in Guantanamo Bay too, with me an Cat and Carlos.  Maybe we can tunnel out of the place and seek amnesty at Fidel's place.  We'll just tell him we got sent down there 'cuz Bush doesn't like us, then he'll say, "Bush doesn't like me either," and he'll invite us in for rum, cigars, and baseball on his big screen TV!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/04 at 6:04 am

Unless you were at her home...All I know is that the theories make a LOT of sense....but since you said I was too young I'll drop it for now ;)

What I meant was when the Kennedys, King and were assassinated you were to young to
understand the mood of the country. The shock for at death of JFK was numbing
to the country, and then his RFK and MLK, all in a couple of years.  You had to be aware
at the time to realize the impact.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/04 at 8:35 am

What I meant was when the Kennedys, King and were assassinated you were to young to
understand the mood of the country. The shock for at death of JFK was numbing
to the country, and then his RFK and MLK, all in a couple of years.  You had to be aware
at the time to realize the impact.
Ah okay, I understand now. While I don't remember JFK, I do remember the other 2. My first real memories were when we lived in France and I was 4 :)

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/13/04 at 8:50 pm

Uh oh, you're gonna end up in Guantanamo Bay too, with me an Cat and Carlos.  Maybe we can tunnel out of the place and seek amnesty at Fidel's place.  We'll just tell him we got sent down there 'cuz Bush doesn't like us, then he'll say, "Bush doesn't like me either," and he'll invite us in for rum, cigars, and baseball on his big screen TV!

Well I'll say this....if Bush wins this election..... Guantanamo may not be all that bad ::) ::)

But then again,.... heres the thing....I dont know that Kerry gets me all that passionate about anything either :( Cant they just ammend that law and let Clinton run again... BJ's and all.... I miss that man!!! ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...