inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Inadequate tip causes man to be arrested.

Written By: Jessica on 09/13/04 at 11:46 am

Oooookay.....

Tip Well, People!

Subject: Re: Inadequate tip causes man to be arrested.

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/04 at 3:14 pm

I once heard a quote "Waiting is the only job that relies on the honor system". Think about that one.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/04 at 3:26 pm

ummmm, if they are so adamant about getting their darned 18%, they should've added it into the bill, like every OTHER restaurant I've been to with a large group does. Sorry, but if the food/service isn't up to my standards, I wouldn't have left one either...and I used to be a waitress :P

I agree.  If they are going to make it mandatory then they need to put it in the check. 

Written By: bj26 on 09/13/04 at 3:30 pm

Some people rely on tips as their only income source though.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/04 at 3:36 pm

But, if it is in the check then they still get the check.  I used to wait tables, and did rely on the tips, but I never expected to get away with inadequate service and still be tipped.  Relying on tips only made me try to be a better server.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/04 at 3:45 pm

Tipping is a way of saying "thanks for the good job"  and should never be proscribed.  And while we
are on the subject people shouldn't have to work for tips, they should be payed at least the minimum
wage like everyone else, the tips would be extra for the service.  If the company thinks that the
person waiting on a large party deserves more they should pay them a premium for large parties
and not tell the customer up front that they have to pay a certain amount whether they like the sevice
or not. >:(

Written By: gemini61 on 09/13/04 at 4:15 pm

The story said they didn't leave a bigger tip because they didn't like the food. The waitress didn't cook the food. So, she shouldn't have to get shafted because of the cooks mistake. This guy was probably just cheap and didn't want to leave a bigger tip anyways. That said, he shouldn't have gotten arrested, that's ridiculous.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/04 at 5:32 pm

The story said they didn't leave a bigger tip because they didn't like the food. The waitress didn't cook the food. So, she shouldn't have to get shafted because of the cooks mistake. This guy was probably just cheap and didn't want to leave a bigger tip anyways. That said, he shouldn't have gotten arrested, that's ridiculous.

That is one of the reasons waitresses/waiters should get at least minimum wage. Ronald
Reagan decided that too many waitresses/waiters were cheating on declaring their tips and
said they should be flat taxed on a minimum amount, unless they could prove they made less,
(how would you do that). It was Nancys' opinion that it was a lucrative job.  Well, I guess dining
in the places she dined in all her life she might have gotten that impression, but he should
really have known better.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/04 at 9:47 pm

He should've paid the bill and that's it. ::)

Howard

Written By: jaytee on 09/14/04 at 6:28 pm

I'm glad that tipping is not an Australian practice.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/14/04 at 7:40 pm

I'm glad that tipping is not an Australian practice.

It's certainly not the custom as it is in the US. But here, waiting staff and customer service people get paid a whole lot better than they do in America, so people here don't rely on them as much. I still leave tips now and then when I can and I'm happy with the service, though. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/04 at 8:05 pm

I always tip well, unless I feel the waiter/waitress is overtly nasty.  Sometimes they're not prompt or gracious, but I figure they work hard and don't make much money.  Maybe they're distracted or having a bad day.  I don't take it personally.

Written By: Jessica on 09/15/04 at 1:00 am

I always tip well, unless I feel the waiter/waitress is overtly nasty.  Sometimes they're not prompt or gracious, but I figure they work hard and don't make much money.  Maybe they're distracted or having a bad day.  I don't take it personally.

I have been lucky in the fact that every waitress I've had was incredibly nice and courteous, especially after dealing with Rice Cube. ;D He tends to get as many free drink refills as he can, which keeps the waitress very busy. We even had a waitress at Coco's bring him a pitcher of soda so he'd leave her alone. :D

I could well understand if they've had a bad day though. Some customers can be flat out rude to them, no matter what they do. But if any waiter/waitress ever crossed the line into complete and utter b*tchiness, they wouldn't be getting jack from me. :P

Written By: Jessica on 09/15/04 at 11:50 am

They dropped the charges against the man.

Charges Dropped

Written By: Howard on 09/15/04 at 9:46 pm

I always tip a waiter/waitress depends on the service I've gotten at the restaurant.

Howard

Subject: Freedom of speech

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/11/06 at 4:57 pm

I consider tip a part of my freedom of speech.
And I agree that Waiters\tresses should get at least minimum wage. They're doing the labor plus tiping from customers helps ensure and rewards good service. 

Check for new replies or respond here...