The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A question...

Written By: Jessica on 09/14/04 at 4:48 pm

Today I got a brochure in the mail about the Viacord company. For those of you that don't know what that is, it's a company that banks your baby's blood from the umbilical cord in case any diseases pop up later in the kid's life. I know it costs a bit of money, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I thought I'd get everyone's opinion on it. Here's the website that tells more than my piddling little description. :)

Subject: Re: A question...

Written By: karen on 09/15/04 at 5:41 am

This wasn't available when I had my two children.  However I searched on the parenting website that I still visit and here is one answer.

They point out the pros and cons but bear in mind some of the information about collection is based on UK information.

Another section contained a news report that says that cord blood may contain pre-cancerous cells which sort of makes it worthless if you are storing it against your child (God forbid) having leukaemia and needing a transfusion.

Hope the information helps you reach a decision.

Written By: Jessica on 09/15/04 at 11:55 am

Thanks you guys. I wasn't sure if anyone thought it was really worth it or not. Cheer, I didn't know that they only had a one year limit on it. That kinda changes my mind right there because the brochure did NOT say anything about limitation.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/16/04 at 2:26 am

if there IS a time limit, ask what they do with it when that time comes.

Party supplies for Ozzie Osbourne? :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/04 at 10:52 am

It was offered to me after my son's birth. I didn't go for it since they would only keep it for a year.

Check for new replies or respond here...