inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A question...

Written By: Jessica on 09/14/04 at 4:48 pm

Today I got a brochure in the mail about the Viacord company. For those of you that don't know what that is, it's a company that banks your baby's blood from the umbilical cord in case any diseases pop up later in the kid's life. I know it costs a bit of money, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I thought I'd get everyone's opinion on it. Here's the website that tells more than my piddling little description. :)

www.viacord.com

Subject: Re: A question...

Written By: karen on 09/15/04 at 5:41 am

Jessica

This wasn't available when I had my two children.  However I searched on the parenting website that I still visit and here is one answer.

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/individualfaq.asp?Section=&query=cord+blood&opt=AND&page=&question=3407

They point out the pros and cons but bear in mind some of the information about collection is based on UK information.

Another section contained a news report that says that cord blood may contain pre-cancerous cells which sort of makes it worthless if you are storing it against your child (God forbid) having leukaemia and needing a transfusion.

Hope the information helps you reach a decision.

karen

Written By: Jessica on 09/15/04 at 11:55 am

Thanks you guys. I wasn't sure if anyone thought it was really worth it or not. Cheer, I didn't know that they only had a one year limit on it. That kinda changes my mind right there because the brochure did NOT say anything about limitation.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/16/04 at 2:26 am

if there IS a time limit, ask what they do with it when that time comes.

Party supplies for Ozzie Osbourne? :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/04 at 10:52 am

It was offered to me after my son's birth. I didn't go for it since they would only keep it for a year.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...