inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hurricane Ivan

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/14/04 at 5:39 pm

How has Hurricane Ivan affected your area? It has has an effect in our building, we now have to turn in our time tomorrow instead of Thursday in case it hits Pensacola, when we get our checks. I hope everyone in its path will be okay.

Subject: Re: Hurricane Ivan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/04 at 8:17 pm

I look at all the tall pines surrounding my house and feel very glad no category 4 hurricane is coming to my area.  That would be the end of my home, everything I own, and possible the end of ME!
New England did get nailed with a category 4 or 5 level hurricane in 1938 (the Eastern Seaboard Hurricane).  The devestation was incredible.  It snapped 150 year old Oaks like matchsticks.  The wood from all the downed trees was enough to build half a million homes!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/04 at 12:54 pm

Well, it is just now getting to my area.

I was lucky in that we barely got anything from Charlie.  We caught the edge of Francis last week, and that was pretty nasty.  We are gonna get hit harder by Ivan I am sure.

Of course don't go away.  We got Jeanne comming up next week!  It is currently expected to clip Florida next Monday.

I ask myself again, why did I move to Alabama?

:-\\

Written By: Apricot on 09/15/04 at 2:56 pm

I wish everyone who has to endure the storm the best.... I'm grateful I don't have to deal with it up North.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/04 at 9:34 pm

I heard New York might get a small amount of Ivan with heavy rainfall this weekend.

Howard

Written By: Mushroom on 09/16/04 at 1:22 am

Yea, it's pretty ugly out here now I tell ya.

I evacuated my house last night at about 10pm, when they had 3 tornadoes touch down within 15 miles from where I lived.  They have had clusters of 4-6 tornadoes out here today, with somewhere around 25 different ones sighted.  And Ivan has not even hit the shore yet.

I am sleeping on a friends floor tonight, just hope I have a home to go back to tomorrow.  And we got Jeanne next week.  Gonna be a rough week or so.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/04 at 9:31 am

I was watching it on the news last night and thought about you, Mushroom because I knew you were in its path. I'm glad to see that you are doing ok. Keep us inform of things down there.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/16/04 at 10:11 am

NYC might get hit Saturday or Sunday depends on the track of the storm.

Howard

Written By: Koop on 09/16/04 at 12:27 pm

In the Atlanta area, we're getting heavy rain and we're starting to get some heavy wind.....and it's supposed to be even worse later today and tomorrow.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/17/04 at 2:27 am

I was watching it on the news last night and thought about you, Mushroom because I knew you were in its path. I'm glad to see that you are doing ok. Keep us inform of things down there.

Thanks Catwoman.

Well, it's just after 2am here, and we finally got power back on.

I tried to stick it out at home, until about 10pm Wednesday, when tornadoes were spotted about 15 miles south of where I live and were headed this way.  That was enough for me, and my roommate and I left the house.  We spend the night at his sister's house, along with 2 other friends who also lived in a mobile home.

I live about 60 miles north of Panama City, which was one of the places that first got hit.  And being on the East side of the storm, we got hardest hit.  About half of our town lost power, and there is quite a lot of damage.  Luckily, nothing major but it is still quite widespread.

Now we are waiting to see what Jeanne does.  One of the latest predictions shows it making landfall on the East Coast, then going East to West across the upper part of the panhandle.  That will mean that we will get hit yet again.  :-\\

Written By: joedeertae on 09/17/04 at 5:22 am

The only thing we have gotten in the Houston area are people that have had to evacuate their homes :'( . I wish good luck upon the folks that are having to deal with this and hope they get through everything with minimal damage/loss.

On an upbeat note I just heard that Rice U is going to let the peeps that are in town because of Hurricane Ivan into their opening game against Hawaii tomorrow(Saturday) night for FREE! ;D How cool is that?

Go Owls!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/04 at 6:44 pm

We are getting the rain. We haven't gotten the BIG stuff yet. Hopefully, by the time they pass over all those mountain ranges before it reaches us, it will have died down some. But so far, not even a flood watch.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/17/04 at 7:12 pm

This is minor compared to all the lives lost and damage from Ivan, but the office in Pensacola where we get our salaries shut down because of the hurricane. Now we can't make revisions in our timesheets because of the office's inactivity. They'll try to open Monday, but it sounds like it'll take longer than that for the office to open.  To make matters worse, I was late for work and the building received a bomb threat. (Normally the evacuation would count as admin time if I came in on time.)

Written By: Howard on 09/17/04 at 9:34 pm

NYC might get up to 4 inches of rain from Ivan.

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/04 at 9:37 pm

Jeanne was downgraded to a tropical storm, it may be back to hurricane strength before long, but I can't see it getting nearly as bad as Ivan.  Category 1 hurricanes can still play hell with property damage due to heavy rains, especially ones that hover, like Jeanne.

Karl anybody?

BTW, the AP style guide says never to refer to a hurricane as "he" or "she," always "it."  But that's the AP, who died and made them king anyway?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/04 at 9:39 pm

Jeanne was downgraded to a tropical storm, it may be back to hurricane strength before long, but I can't see it getting nearly as bad as Ivan.  Category 1 hurricanes can still play hell with property damage due to heavy rains, especially ones that hover, like Jeanne.

Karl anybody?

BTW, the AP style guide says never to refer to a hurricane as "he" or "she," always "it."  But that's the AP, who died and made them king anyway?

Who came up with that idea in the first place?

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...