inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Britney Spears covers Bobby Brown & Marilyn Mason covers Depeche Mode!!!

Written By: woops on 09/17/04 at 12:55 am

OK, my local radio station played Britney Spears horrid rendition of Bobby Brown's classic "My Prerogative" and got many bad responses. (as usual  ::)) 

Marilyn Manson recently butchered a classic Depeche Mode song, "Personal Jesus", for his "Greatest Hits" album. As usual, it's as awful like his butchered version of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) and all his originals. The same for Britney, who also has a "greatest hits' album coming out.  :P

And I can't believe both have "Greatest Hits" albums... both are more popular for their controversy than their hits...  :P

Subject: Re: Britney Spears covers Bobby Brown & Marilyn Mason covers Depeche Mode!!!

Written By: joedeertae on 09/17/04 at 5:41 am

OK, my local radio station played Britney Spears horrid rendition of Bobby Brown's classic "My Prerogative" and got many bad responses. (as usual  ::)) 

I like Britney  ::) :-
Marilyn Manson recently butchered a classic Depeche Mode song, "Personal Jesus", for his "Greatest Hits" album. As usual, it's as awful like his butchered version of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) and all his originals.

I havnn't heard this one but, I can't fathom that Manson would do Depeche Mode anywheres close to justice!

Subject: Re: Britney Spears covers Bobby Brown & Marilyn Mason covers Depeche Mode!!!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/17/04 at 7:01 am

i don't mind marilyn manson's cover. i listen to a lot of goth and industrial music. you'd be surprised on how many acts cover 80s songs. it's a tribute to new wave, manson loves new wave, many goth groups do as well.

britney spears only plays whats given to her. she has no originality.

Written By: AngeliK on 09/17/04 at 8:09 am

*cries* I love Marilyn, and I like the new single and sweet dreams and tainted love....

and to be honest as a eurythmics fan anyway sweet dreams is actually a pretty good cover as songs go...when you think of britneys rendition of I love rock and Roll....now that was bad!!!! (actually thinking about it MOST of britneys songs are pretty bad)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/17/04 at 8:45 am

britney spears only plays whats given to her. she has no originality.

She doesn't NEED originaliy she has enough  err.. "talent" ;) (she can dance and she's not too hard to look at) that she can be marketed and MADE into a money making, record selling machine and that's all she needs for her fans and her 15 mins of fame. Remember Milli Vanilli? same thing only they got caught.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/04 at 10:49 am

She should be smacked for her cover, err...destruction, of a good song! Does she even hear herself? I haven't heard Marilyn's version yet. But, I liked his cover of Tainted Love.

Tanya

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/04 at 12:24 pm

I heard Manson's cover of Personal Jesus, and personally, I think it's fantastic. It's basically the same, just a bit heavier. I also enjoyed his remakes of Tainted Love and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This). He does these songs justice. I can't say how Britney's sounds though because I despise her music and (thank God) I haven't heard her remake of My Prerogative. :P

Written By: cheerleaderinlimbo on 09/17/04 at 7:19 pm

ANYTHING's better than Mariah Carey's cover of DL :P

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/21/04 at 12:44 pm

"Britney's horrid renidition of Bobby Brown;'s classic"???!!!  :o

Excuse me, but Bobby Brown's version is horrid, atrocious, and scares the heck out of children and small animals.  ::) I was never a Bobby Brown fan (and never will be for as long as I live), but I thought Britney saved a song that otherwise would have sucked as bad as the original. But I am still mad at Kevin Feder-whatever-his-name-is for marrying my future wife, Britney.  :-\\ I hope Britney never covers any more songs by artists that suck.

As for Manson, anything he sings will crumble into smithereens, unless he manages to cover a song that already sucked, like "MacArthur Park," "I Will Always Love You," or "How Am I Supposed to Live without You."

Check for new replies or respond here...