inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bomb Scare In My Work Area

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/17/04 at 7:16 pm

The building where I work at received a bomb threat this morning. Although I was late andcame in after the all-clear signal, I still felt like I and my co-workers were in danger of being victims of terrorists. The threat proved to be a false alarm, but fire and police people were still searching even after the all-clear. It would have been catastrophic if it was true, even with the safety measures. 

Subject: Re: Bomb Scare In My Work Area

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/04 at 8:14 pm

Wow, very scary, Indy. Glad it was only a false alarm.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/17/04 at 8:32 pm

Wow, Indy, I am glad it was false and that you are ok.  Jerks that do things like that ought to be strung up.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/17/04 at 8:56 pm

I feel the same way as Dagny.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/18/04 at 2:31 am

Bomb scares and evacuations are a monthly occurance in my building.  We were always a bit slack during them until Sep11 then we kinda took a little more notice of instructions.  After a year or so we slacked off again and its now back to being "just a regular thing".

Written By: Paul on 09/18/04 at 3:37 am

Sorry to hear of the scare, Indy - does tend to make everyone stop and think...

We used to have 'em every other week when the IRA were in full-flight...the nearest scrape I had was when they detonated a device in a toilet at London Bridge railway station in 1992 - I missed it by fifteen minutes...!!

Of course, the threat comes from a different source now - but judging on how lax the security is in this country as a whole, I'm still surprised nothing major has kicked off here...

Mind you, as they say...famous last words...

Written By: joedeertae on 09/18/04 at 6:46 am

That CAN'T be a good feeling! :( Sorry to hear about it. Do they have any information or chance of finding out who did it?
I hope they catch the bastitches!

Written By: mandamoo on 09/18/04 at 8:14 am

Very scary indeed, Indy !  I've been involved in a few 'false alarms' where I used to work. :(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/19/04 at 1:18 am

We used to have 'em every other week when the IRA were in full-flight...the nearest scrape I had was when they detonated a device in a toilet at London Bridge railway station in 1992 - I missed it by fifteen minutes...!!

Paul I lived in UK from 1988 to early 1991, very much IRA "full flight" era, and even tho I had obviously seen plenty of news articles prior to that - nothing actually prepared me for the daily fear of sitting on the Tube wondering if that paper bag under the seat opposite me was a bomb or not.  I was shopping in Wembley when a postal van was exploded (mid to late 89 from memory) and I saw a hand lying in the street.  Kinda made it all extremely real all of a sudden.

Pretty sad that there are even worse people around now than the IRA.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/20/04 at 1:58 am

I'm fortunate to have you people that have experienced these things. I am glad they have proven to be false alarms or threats. I hope everyone is okay. I was surprised by the lack of news coverage. Even the local papers and TV ignored us. I guess GSA didn't want any publicity after 9/11. Well, even THEY have a Constitutional right to privacy. ::) 8) ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/20/04 at 6:35 am

I was working in Boston in 1976 when a bomb exploded in the courthouse where I worked.  One guy had his arm blown off and a lot had less serious injuries. For a long time after you feel a bit of panic, edgy.  It's
normal, after a while you kind of put it in a corner of your life, but it never goes away.

Written By: karen on 09/21/04 at 5:06 am

When I was at school it would happen once or twice a year that we had to evacuate because of a bomb threat.  Quite why they would want to bomb a girl's secondary school was a mystery to me.

During the first Gulf War I was studying at a university on day release.  On more than one occasion we had all or part of a day out of class because of a bomb threat.  It was always supposedly from some supporters of Iraq.

Luckily none of these came to anything.

A couple of people I know had near misses with IRA bombs.

A friend of mine never goes out for the day without leaving messages for the family after she was nearly blown up by the Harrods bomb (in the 70's)  She came out of the doorway where the bomb was, turned the corner and then it exploded.  Luckily she wasn't hurt.

Some other friends were working near Warrington and they were going into town to go shopping.  They took a wrong turning and ended up going to Chester instead.  However had they gone the way they intended they would have been in that main shopping area when the bomb (or was it two?) went off.

I also worked at the same place and was there when they were on amber alert.  Boy didn't the security guards love flagging people down so they could search their cars.

Check for new replies or respond here...