inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This sucks!

Written By: Jessica on 09/20/04 at 2:49 pm

Okay, I can understand if this were just an isolated incident, but the guy in question has sued over TWO HUNDRED small businesses for the same thing! And if you've ever seen this place, it is quite accessible to everyone!

This makes me sad because when I was little, we used to go cruising in my dad's '50 Buick and the last stop was this place. I'm going to go there tonight even though it will be packed. :\'(

Legendary Drive-In Diner To Shut Doors

Subject: Re: This sucks!

Written By: Apricot on 09/20/04 at 2:57 pm

Okay, I can understand if this were just an isolated incident, but the guy in question has sued over TWO HUNDRED small businesses for the same thing! And if you've ever seen this place, it is quite accessible to everyone!

This makes me sad because when I was little, we used to go cruising in my dad's '50 Buick and the last stop was this place. I'm going to go there tonight even though it will be packed. :\'(

That really would make me mad... a*sholes like this make me mad, looking just for money.

I've noticed a big spike in links to news articles on the board here... Maybe I ought to check some of these news sites out.

Written By: Kryllith on 09/20/04 at 3:55 pm

What I'm curious is why a man from southern California is suing an establishment from northern California. It doesn't sound like he'd be a member of the regular clientelle, even if the establishment were "up to specs" in his eyes.

Kryllith

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/20/04 at 6:39 pm

What a shame...

I mean, I can understand not being happy about places being inaccessible, since I am wheelchair-bound myself...but with some places (especially really old buildings) it's just not possible to make them accessible because of the way the buildings were built. The law here is that all newer buildings must be accessible, and anything being built must be accessible.

I think this guy is out for money. Suing 200 small businesses who can clearly not survive past the lawsuit is ridiculous.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/04 at 6:55 pm

I would love to face him in a wheel chair and beat the crap out of him...what a jerk >:(

Written By: Mushroom on 09/20/04 at 7:39 pm

What I'm curious is why a man from southern California is suing an establishment from northern California. It doesn't sound like he'd be a member of the regular clientelle, even if the establishment were "up to specs" in his eyes.

Because he is both a vampire, and an activist scum.

California is full of "Vampires".  They actually go around looking for companies to sue.  There was a bad case about 3 years ago, where these 2 lawyers were going around finding companies that had been cited by the state Automotive Repair division.  These were mostly minor offenses, with no fine attached.  But these lawyers used a loophole, which allowed *them* to sue, even though they themselves were not damaged in any way.  Thousands of small garages paid from $2,000-8,000 each just to make them go away.

Then there is the "Guerrila Activism".  Those are the people that go after companies who do not meet the group/person's ideas of "following the law".  ADA has been used for this reason since it was first enacted.  These are people who will sue over the smallest infraction.  A lot of other laws have been abused like this as well, like many civil rights laws.

I remember a case about 10 years ago, where a Black man sued the owner of a clothing manufacturer.  He claimed the manufacturer was raceist in his hiring practices, because there were no blacks employed.  The owner showed that he never had any blacks apply for a job from him.  Even the person who filed the lawsuit had never even applied for a job!  But he lost, and had to pay damages, and he had to give almost half of his jobs to Blacks.  The problem became, still no blacks applied for the jobs.  So he had job openings, but could not hire people who applied because they were not black.

I wish people like that would just go away.  Or better yet, make violations like that be investigated by the Government.  Do not allow private citizens to sue over them.  Take away the possability to make money, and you will see those scum die off real fast I am sure.

Written By: zcrito on 09/20/04 at 10:55 pm

I would love to face him in a wheel chair and beat the crap out of him...what a jerk >:(

Sometimes I find your anger comments "refreshing".
;D
I've known people in wheel chairs who would probably help you do it, too.

;D
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/04 at 11:29 pm

Sometimes I find your anger comments "refreshing".
;D
I've known people in wheel chairs who would probably help you do it, too.

;D
;)

Thanks, zcrito....if he wore glasses I'd also throw on a pair!

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/04 at 12:29 am

Rice Cube and I went out there tonight. The crowd was HUGE. It took us twenty minutes waiting in line to order and twenty minutes in line to get our food. ;D It was great though. A lot of people were taking pictures and the owner was out there serving food and talking to everyone.

It's going to be open all day tomorrow, so we might go out in the morning to take pictures and get a shake since they sold out of them tonight. :)

I hope that guy is happy with what he's accomplished in closing down so many small businesses. I hope it warms his heart at night knowing that he's closing down an historic part of Salinas. I doubt he cares about that though. Stupid jerk. >:(

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 7:24 am

That's terrible >:( What an arse >:( I think you are prolly right Jessica, I doubt he cares about that and he will no doubt move on to the next place of buisness that he thinks he can get money out of... the bastid >:(

Maybe you can post a couple of pics of the place so we can see it too. :)

Written By: bj26 on 09/21/04 at 8:49 am

Sorry to hear about Roys, but if you are in Atlanta, go here:
http://www.thevarsity.com/

guaranteed to cheer you up :)

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/04 at 11:34 am

That's terrible >:( What an arse >:( I think you are prolly right Jessica, I doubt he cares about that and he will no doubt move on to the next place of buisness that he thinks he can get money out of... the bastid >:(

Maybe you can post a couple of pics of the place so we can see it too. :)

Sure will. I'll take my digital camera out there today. Hopefully it won't screw up the pictures. :P

Sorry to hear about Roys, but if you are in Atlanta, go here:
http://www.thevarsity.com/

guaranteed to cheer you up :)

That place looks awesome. Unfortunately, I'm half a continent away from it. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/04 at 2:39 pm

As promised, some pics from today. They didn't turn out great because my digital camera sucks.

This first one is the famous Roy's sign. It looks way cooler at night when it's lit up in neon. :)

The next one is a picture of the actual establishment. Note the humongous crowd. ;D

This last one is a picture of a '55 Buick. Roy's used to have a classic car show every Thursday (which is probably why this car was there today), but I guess that's cancelled now. :P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/21/04 at 2:51 pm

Those are nice pictures...and what a massive turn out! Truly, the whole thing is really, really sad and disturbing. >:(

I'm really hoping this guy isn't giving disabled people a bad name. We're not all militant activists who constantly b*tch and complain 'til we get our way! I'm not, anyway! My favourite club is up three flights of friggin' stairs but it doesn't stop Rush and I from going! But we were actually discussing this earlier today over coffee, and came to the conclusion that, yes, the dude probably had no intention of ever having a meal there or going anywhere else he's sued. He just found a reason to sue them just to get some money. A disgrace to the disabled community.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/04 at 6:57 pm

Those are nice pictures...and what a massive turn out! Truly, the whole thing is really, really sad and disturbing. >:(

I'm really hoping this guy isn't giving disabled people a bad name. We're not all militant activists who constantly b*tch and complain 'til we get our way! I'm not, anyway! My favourite club is up three flights of friggin' stairs but it doesn't stop Rush and I from going! But we were actually discussing this earlier today over coffee, and came to the conclusion that, yes, the dude probably had no intention of ever having a meal there or going anywhere else he's sued. He just found a reason to sue them just to get some money. A disgrace to the disabled community.

Absolutely Vile

He's not giving disabled people a bad name. He's just one bad apple who will get hit by Karma someday. And you're right AV. I don't think he even ate there. I think he just looked for minor infractions that he could turn into a lawsuit. :P

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 5:23 am

8) cool pics Jessica, thanks for sharing :)

Check for new replies or respond here...