inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it a Boy or a Girl?

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 7:53 am

My wife and I are going to the Dr. tomorrow for THE ultrasound where you can find out (if you want) what the sex of your baby is. When we had our first son (10 years ago) we said "we want to know what it is!", when we had our second son (5 years ago) we said "we don't think we want to know what it is." but we found out when we had our first chance. Now with baby number three on the way we want to try reeeaaaal hard not to find out, because we figure you only get a handfull of real suprises in your life and this would be one of them. I think what we have decided to do is to have the nurse write the baby's sex on a piece of paper and we may or may not decide to look at a later date. :-\\

Subject: Re: Is it a Boy or a Girl?

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 7:56 am

is there a way to modify a poll? I forgot to put an option for "Undecided".

Which by the way would get my vote. :-\\

Written By: bj26 on 09/21/04 at 8:45 am

My wife was at a certain age when they suggest you do an amnio, so we founded it out, but we didn't care anyway because all we wanted was a healthy baby which we had :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/21/04 at 9:11 am

It doesn't matter, because I'm not having a kid. ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/21/04 at 9:38 am

the technology in our hospital is so out of date that the sex cannot be determined. i heard there was the case a few years before my son was born, a couple found out that they were having a boy. they went home and immediately began painting their son's room blue. off coarse the child turned out to be a girl. the hospital was sued.

so, no. i knew i was having a son anyway. intuition i guess.

Written By: karen on 09/21/04 at 10:44 am

At my local hospital it was (and maybe still is) policy not to tell unless there is a medical reason.  I didn't want to know in either case.  I think my husband probably did want to know but I over-ruled him!

I just think it spoils the surprise.  Anyway both times I guessed correctly before the child was born (girl then boy)

MTA: Good luck with the scan tomorrow whatever you decide.  Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well.

Written By: Hairspray on 09/21/04 at 11:03 am

is there a way to modify a poll? I forgot to put an option for "Undecided".

Which by the way would get my vote. :-\\

Now you can place your vote! I modified the poll for ya'. :)

For future reference, you should be able to modify your own polls. If anyone encounters any issues with this, please send me a private message as I check those first when I log in.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 11:25 am

Now you can place your vote! I modified the poll for ya'. :)

For future reference, you should be able to modify your own polls. If anyone encounters any issues with this, please send me a private message as I check those first when I log in.

Thank ya Hairspray ;)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 11:28 am

Good luck with the scan tomorrow whatever you decide.  Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well.

Thanks for the well wishes karen ;)

I think my husband probably did want to know but I over-ruled him!

I think this will be the case with us this time. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/04 at 11:40 am

I thnk your idea of having the nurse write it on a piece of paper is great. Besides, all that really matters is that the baby is healthy.

Congratulations on your new addition. I find out on Thursday what Rice Cube and I are having. :D

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 11:46 am

...all that really matters is that the baby is healthy.

Agreed, healthy should be priority number ONE!

Congratulations on your new addition. I find out on Thursday what Rice Cube and I are having. :D

Thanks Jessica. Congrats back at ya'll  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/21/04 at 4:26 pm

I found out about my son b/c I wanted to know. IMHO, by knowing beforehand, a lot of the preparations come easier. You aren't stuck with so many unisex items as you would be without knowing. I was prepared to name him and everything.

Tanya

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/21/04 at 4:40 pm

Find out!!

We found out with our first and I am currently carrying our secong and we found out again.  We had a boy first and now we are having a girl!
I figure its just as much of a surprise at 20 weeks as it is when its born!   

Plus I am glad I can buy pink stuff now, not yellow or green or something like that!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/04 at 5:02 pm

Never having kids myself, I really don't know. But, I would think that I would want to know.

BTW, Congrats to you and your wife.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/21/04 at 5:46 pm

I think it depends on what you want. With our first, we didn't find out, but did with the other 2. Well, with my 2nd, it was kinda hard not to when we had the ultrasound as he was shaking his thing ;D

I know what you mean.  My daughter was all spread eagled like she was saying "see, I'm a girl".  She is still a little nudist. ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 5:16 am

Make sure she puts it in an envelope and signs her name on the seal or something so noone can cheat. A friend of mine did the envelope thing and her hubby cheated, then put it in a new envelope ::) :P

::) hmmm... I hope the wifey doesn't see this post  ;D  uhhh.. I mean yeah, thats a great idea ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 5:17 am

BTW, Congrats to you and your wife.

Cat

Thank you Cat. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/04 at 9:21 am

So is mine...makes sense, I think they're the same age (6).  He's either naked or has his hands down his pants 85% of the time :P

That just might be a gender thing. I have known guys of all ages do this. (My brother for one, I could say my husband but I don't want to embarrass him.  ;) lol)

Cat

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 10:49 am

Hey, I'd rather wait and find out, etc. :o Congrats big time! :)

~PD 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 2:08 pm

We had 5 boys and never wanted to know....it was more fun ;)

Written By: bj26 on 09/22/04 at 3:13 pm

We had 5 boys and never wanted to know....it was more fun ;)

Yo Rockfan, had you found out, maybe you'd have had a girl!  haha just kidding, am getting a little silly late in the day.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/22/04 at 4:21 pm

Well whats the status joedeertae??  Whatcha having?? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 09/22/04 at 7:30 pm

So is mine...makes sense, I think they're the same age (6). He's either naked or has his hands down his pants 85% of the time :P

well, you know they are afraid it will fall off. ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 09/23/04 at 5:18 am

Well whats the status joedeertae??  Whatcha having?? ???

;D We went yesterday (Wed.) and everything looked good and healthy. We did not find out (although I was trying to see if I could tell as the ultrascan was going on) but we had the nurse write it on a piece of paper and the wife had her put it in one of those security envelopes... like I would try to look or something  ::) ;D So...... as of today we have not looked. While in the waiting room we were flipping through a pregnancy mag and saw an article on old wives tells of how to tell. There were about 6 or 8 different "tricks" so I think we are going to try a few of them this weekend just to see what they say. :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/23/04 at 8:31 am

The old wives tales didnt work for me either time.  And the chinese calender was wrong too!  First they said I would have a girl on everything and we had a boy and then the oppisite happened with this pregnancy.

Also I thought since I was carrying the same and feeling the same that we were having a boy this time and nope we were so surprised that we are having a girl  :)

Written By: karen on 09/24/04 at 4:06 am

The Chinese calendar thing was wrong for both of mine.  Also the old wives tale of it being a girl if you have a lot of morning sickness.  I felt nauseous once with Elizabeth but was never sick and was sick once with James.  (At a district cub camp in front of some leaders, so no keeping that pregnancy quiet!).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/04 at 9:52 am

The Chinese calendar thing was wrong for both of mine.  Also the old wives tale of it being a girl if you have a lot of morning sickness.  I felt nauseous once with Elizabeth but was never sick and was sick once with James.  (At a district cub camp in front of some leaders, so no keeping that pregnancy quiet!).

I have heard (don't know how true it is) that how the mother feels determines the baby teeth. If there is lots of morning sickness, the baby will not have very heathy teeth. Like I said, I don't know how true that is.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...