inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons- Biggest Emmy snub of all

Written By: Satish on 09/21/04 at 8:02 pm

With the Emmy awards having aired recently, I feel like getting up on my soapbox and saying that the biggest snub of all in the history of awards shows is that "The Simpsons" has never even been NOMINATED in the category of outstanding comedy series, let alone won it. Most people I know think that it's the best SHOW in the history of television, PERIOD. I think that it's definitely the best comedy of the 90s- better than Seinfeld, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc.

Is there a rule against cartoons from being nominated in the best comedy category, or something? That's the only way I can explain "The Simpsons" not being there. I mean, it so obviously should.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons- Biggest Emmy snub of all

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/04 at 8:11 pm

Feh, I don't pay attention to any of the dumb old entertainment awards, they're all stupid.  It is appalling that the Simpsons has never even been nominating, but what do I know?  I still think The Oblongs deserved an Emmy!
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper263/stills/h7kpme7i.jpg

Written By: printer on 09/21/04 at 10:12 pm

th've not been nominated that's surprising

Written By: Printer on 09/22/04 at 1:20 am

th've not been nominated that's surprising

I agree with printer on this one.

Written By: philbo on 09/22/04 at 8:34 am

Most people I know think that it's the best SHOW in the history of television, PERIOD. I think that it's definitely the best comedy of the 90s- better than Seinfeld, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc.

Speaking as a Brit, I'd say that the Simpsons is far and away the best television exported from the US - nothing else even comes remotely close.  And it's been unbelievably consisitent over the years, too.  But I can't get worked up about emmy or whatever awards, as they're hardly ever given to the best films, shows or actors: whoever or whatever happens to be flavour of the month, or whoever's turn it happens to be.  Except for The Office, of course ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 10:19 am

The Emmy selection committee can't get past the "animated series" rules crap and nominate the show for Best Comedy. "Beauty and the Beast" was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. And I would consider the Academy as pretty conservative. I think The Simpsons deserves a chance as Best Comedy.

Written By: elefanten on 09/22/04 at 1:18 pm

why is printer writing to him self?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 5:28 pm

Feh, I don't pay attention to any of the dumb old entertainment awards, they're all stupid.  It is appalling that the Simpsons has never even been nominated!
Ah...we agree, MaxwellSmart ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...