inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So PINK Is Gonna Play Janis Joplin In A New Movie?

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 2:02 am

Hey, I've been hearing a lot of stuff about how PINK is gonna play Janis Joplin in a major flick all about her amazing life and times, etc. It's gonna be called: The Gospel According To Janis. And the release date is scheduled for late 2005 (or early 2006). Now here's the deal. I'm a big Janis fan (am I showing my age! LOL.), but I've never heard PINK sing anything before. Is she really THAT good? Can anybody give me a clue? Also, do any other Joplin fans out there think PINK is a good/bad choice for the role? I don't wanna judge the girl harshly. I mean, I will have to give her tunes a long listen first. But she sure doesn't look anything like Janis! So what do you think? I'd appreciate some feedback on this one big time. Appreciate it much!

~PoetDude

Subject: Re: So PINK Is Gonna Play Janis Joplin In A New Movie?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/04 at 2:36 am

This is awful, awful, you hear!  Pink is a producer-concocted, no-talent, no-soul little hussie of the Britney Speares variety.  Janis is Janis, and you know what that means!  It's like casting Kenny G to play Charlie Parker!
>:(

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 3:53 am

MS~it doesn't sound very promising then. I was kind of hoping somebody would tell me that PINK has a lot of heart and soul (like Janis always did). But now you got me worried big time! So why would they choose her then? Is she really all that?

~PD

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 6:11 am

I like Pink. She can (like Britney) sing and dance and play the little puppet producers want her to in order to get the fame and fortune that she wants. I think she will not do a bad job of playing Janice. With that in mind I will say NOBODY will EVER BE Janice, but Janice.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/22/04 at 6:55 am

pink, apperently, had a tough upbringing. so, she has the "street cred" thing that the producers want to portray janice. i guess. can't stand pink but whatever.

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 9:50 am

I like Pink. She can (like Britney) sing and dance and play the little puppet producers want her to in order to get the fame and fortune that she wants. I think she will not do a bad job of playing Janice. With that in mind I will say NOBODY will EVER BE Janice, but Janice.

Joe~yeah, I'm not gonna judge till I actually see the movie. But it's gonna be a hard job to step into Janis Joplin's shoes for sure. Thanks for your comment!

~PD 8)

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 9:59 am

pink, apperently, had a tough upbringing. so, she has the "street cred" thing that the producers want to portray janice. i guess. can't stand pink but whatever.

Sputnik~so do you think you might still see the movie when it's finally released? Or not. Thanks for the cool feedback!

~PD 8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 10:24 am

Pink is a mediocre singer, not a great singer like Janis Joplin. I would rather have an actress like Jane Horrocks play her. Pink must have pouted well to receive that role. ::)

Written By: Jessica on 09/22/04 at 11:43 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384141/

Another no talent hack trying to act. Except this time it's a movie about a legend. I hope she studied Janis well (and got some frickin' singing lessons!) or else she's gonna get reamed. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/04 at 11:50 am

MS~it doesn't sound very promising then. I was kind of hoping somebody would tell me that PINK has a lot of heart and soul (like Janis always did). But now you got me worried big time! So why would they choose her then? Is she really all that?

~PD

$$$$$$$$$$$
That's all. 

Jessica wrote
Another no talent hack trying to act. Except this time it's a movie about a legend. I hope she studied Janis well (and got some frickin' singing lessons!) or else she's gonna get reamed.
Well, that's she would do on camera if the the pop music producers hadn't found her first!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/22/04 at 1:21 pm

Sputnik~so do you think you might still see the movie when it's finally released? Or not. Thanks for the cool feedback!

~PD 8)

yes, i will. maybe i'll be surprised.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 1:28 pm

I don't think anybody can play Janis....but Pink may suprise us all. I hope she studied her part as well as Val Kilmer did when he portrayed Jim Morrison. IMO, Kilmer did a GREAT job. It's to bad that Oliver Stone wrote the movie with HIS personal feeings about Morrison. Anyone know who's the writer of the Janis movie?

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 10:36 pm

Pink is a mediocre singer, not a great singer like Janis Joplin. I would rather have an actress like Jane Horrocks play her. Pink must have pouted well to receive that role. ::)

Indy~so it looks like a lot of folks don't think PINK is the right choice for this flick. But maybe all the PINK fans out there will check the movie out? And most Janis fans will be disappointed, and simply stay away from the theatres big time after the bad reviews start to come out. Totally sad. :( Janis deserves much better treatment than this! (Unless Pink pulls a fast one, and gives a powerhouse performance..... despite her many critics.) I actually hope this will happen!  :o

~PD 8)

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 11:08 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384141/

Another no talent hack trying to act. Except this time it's a movie about a legend. I hope she studied Janis well (and got some frickin' singing lessons!) or else she's gonna get reamed. :P

Jessica~thanks for making me laugh! ;D Wow, it's good to know I am not the only totally loyal Janis fan around. I guess many of us are feeling sorta protective. I just want her to FINALLY get her due. I'm so tired of all these really young folks putting her down, and always fixating on the fact that she died from a heroin overdose...as if that's all that really matters about her. ??? I mean, she really opened up a lot of doors for folks in the music world. Nobody ever rocked like that (at least not a white chick). All her favorite singers were black artists. She was so totally ahead of her time. I feel the same way about Kurt Cobain. I don't think it's cool to just focus on how he died. His music was important to us. And it's the same for Janis. So I just want her to get a little more respect. Let's hope that PINK has some hidden talents that we will discover when the movie hits the theatres. That would be the coolest! :)

~PD 8)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/22/04 at 11:10 pm

I don't know, I will give Pink a chance.

Although I'm not a big Joplin fan, but I do like 'Piece of My Heart', I have that on my computer.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/04 at 12:25 am

Although I'm not a big Joplin fan, but I do like 'Piece of My Heart', I have that on my computer.  :P

All we are saying is give Pink a chance...
;D

RnRfan wrote
It's to bad that Oliver Stone wrote the movie with HIS personal feeings about Morrison. Anyone know who's the writer of the Janis movie?
Dang old Oliver Stone and his feelings about stuff!  I don't know who wrote the Janis movie?  David Limbaugh?

Written By: PoetDude on 09/24/04 at 1:17 am

ElDude~"Piece Of My Heart" was the first Joplin song I ever heard...... back in 1977. Then I heard "Summertime". And I was totally hooked! I'd never heard anybody sing like that before. :o

~PD 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/24/04 at 8:54 pm

Dang old Oliver Stone and his feelings about stuff!  I don't know who wrote the Janis movie?  David Limbaugh?
All I know is that John Densmore (The ONLY decent Door left) talked about MANY inaccuracies....but Stone AND Hollyweird get away telling lies by marketing thier crap as "BASED" on a true story ::)

Written By: PoetDude on 09/25/04 at 2:16 am

All we are saying is give Pink a chance...
;D

RnRfan wrote

Maxwell~I'm not gonna judge PINK harshly.....yet. :-\\

Rock~I'm really not sure who's gonna write the Janis flick. Anybody else got a clue? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...