inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guess what? I'm getting help!

Written By: Apricot on 09/22/04 at 3:37 pm

This is mostly for the people I've talked to on the "Feel Good" and "Feel Any Way" boards, but I thought I'd post for you all:

After years of obvious instability, my mother finally recognizes something is wrong. She says if this persists for any longer, we're gonna see a psychiatrist. She thinks I have depression, but she wants an official diagnosis. This really makes me glad, even if I am diagnosed. Firstly, I'll know if I'm just "too sensitive and moody" as my dad claims, or if something really is wrong. Also, I'm glad she's not dismissing it as "hormones" or "the blues", as she tried to do for the past 5 years. I feel great right now.

Subject: Re: Guess what? I'm getting help!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/22/04 at 4:43 pm

thats good. many people scoff at depression. i don't. i suffered as a teen, even attempted suicide. my girlfriend suffered as well and she sought medical help. i hope you get the help you need, apricot.

Written By: Bobby on 09/22/04 at 5:18 pm

It is good news that you are getting to the core of your problem, Apricot. If you are diagnosed, at least you know a problem is there. Remember that depression is an illness and in no way reflects upon yourself.

Good luck to you, sir. Well done for tackling your problems.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/04 at 6:30 pm

Glad to hear it, Apricot. I wish you the best. Let us know how things go.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 6:34 pm

I am glad that you are receiving the help you need. I was incapacitated with a nervous breakdown 12 years ago, brought on by stress and work, current affiars and religion. So I've been on that road before. I know you will have the best care and that you will be on a path to recovery. I'll pray for you. :)

Written By: Apricot on 09/22/04 at 6:46 pm

Thank you all. It's good to know so many people care. I'll keep you informed. I hope that it won't affect my relationship with any of you if I am diagnosed.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/22/04 at 7:38 pm

Thank you all. It's good to know so many people care. I'll keep you informed. I hope that it won't affect my relationship with any of you if I am diagnosed.

You don't have to worry about that at all, Apricot.  We all like you and want to see you get the help you need so you feel better.  I am glad you are getting help.

Written By: karen on 09/23/04 at 3:55 am

Apricot

People here will just be glad that you are finally getting the treatment you need.  It will not change how we see you as a person.  Many people here know what you are going through and want to give you support in any way we can.

karen

Written By: karen on 09/23/04 at 3:56 am

As long as You don't start randomly Capitalizing words and talking about The Afterlife and Pam and how you Want to hurt your Parents/Doctors, we'll still love you just the same :)

LOL, cheer!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/23/04 at 5:48 am

We all are, or know, people who have been down this road.  If your mom backs down, then you
should go yourself, sometimes it's easier to have a buddy along with you when you go the first time.
We are always here for you if you need to have a shout out, that's what friends are for. ;)

Written By: blackdog on 09/24/04 at 2:21 am

Apricot, wish you the best of luck. Hope you're able to get some treatment and peace of mind.  You're to be commended some folks never seek help or treatment. Hope you feel better.

Yeah, and please don't capitalize things   Lol!    ;D :D

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 5:58 am

Ha ha! If it did, I would be a hypocrite, Apricot. I have had chronic depression myself.

Written By: Apricot on 09/24/04 at 2:06 pm

That's a good point.  I know it sounds like a cliche, but you could always go to the guidance counselor at school.  Maybe if another adult spoke to your parents, they would take it more seriously.

I've considered it actually. I don't have a lot {actually, I have absolutely none!} of time at school that isn't occupied. If my mom backs down, I'll go to them. My parents have talked to other adults who were concerned about me, but all they did was tell them how horrible of a child I am. My dad is very influential, and a very good exaggerator. He will make up or stretch the truth so that he is never wrong, he always has. I hope things get better.

By the way, that comment about the TalkingWalnut was hilarious!  ;D

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 09/24/04 at 5:09 pm

Its good to hear that you are going to get help for yourself. Depression is a serious awful thing, ( I know I suffered from it as well) and you are lucky that your mom recognizes the problem, because mine didn't. I wish you the best of luck with this!

Rio

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/24/04 at 10:38 pm

My positive thoughts and best wishes to you....I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder AND major depression when I was in my 20's. I'm glad to hear you're getting help coz depression is a disorder that also has a medical cause in some people. There are people who will listen. One day at a time,one minute at a time..

Written By: Fred on 09/25/04 at 1:49 am

Good Luck!

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/04 at 3:21 pm

I am glad that you are receiving the help you need. I was incapacitated with a nervous breakdown 12 years ago, brought on by stress and work, current affiars and religion. So I've been on that road before. I know you will have the best care and that you will be on a path to recovery. I'll pray for you. :)

I am so sorry to hear this Indy. If you don't mind me asking (I understand if you do), what was it like to have a nervous breakdown? The term is quite often overused (esp. in Britain). I hope you feel much better these days.  :)

Written By: Apricot on 09/29/04 at 8:11 pm

I'm not getting help anymore. My mom decided that "look for the positives" will work now. {Didn't work for 6 months, why does that change now?} and my dad decided that "insults, critcism, and threats" would work again.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/30/04 at 7:44 pm

Go to your school counselor.  If your parents won't listen, then you need to find help yourself.  It can be done.

Check for new replies or respond here...