inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Child name?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/23/04 at 10:33 pm

What will you name your child if you have one, or your next child/first child(if you are planning to have one/have another)?

I am young, and I have made no decisions on whether or not I will have children.

However, if I were to have a son I'd name him Afon(pronounced A-von, it's a Welsh name). If it was a girl I'd name her Beatrice.

Subject: Re: Child name?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/23/04 at 10:37 pm

my girlfriend wants to name a girl, saxon-rhys. thats pretty cool, unconventional. i want the boys name to be caleb, i like bible names. my son's name is ethan, whom i named after a john wayne character.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/23/04 at 10:39 pm

Saxon-Rhys? That is different.

Odd. Saxon, like Anglo-Sax. Rhys is a Welsh surname.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/23/04 at 10:40 pm

Those are some interesting names, El Duderino. If I ever have kids (and looks like the odds are dwindling with my age), I would name a boy Lukas Jackson, and a girl Mary Venus (if God will let me). I would also consider naming them after my parents or my great aunt or uncle.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/23/04 at 10:49 pm

Cool indy. Well hopefully if its what you want, you will get to have kids.

I'd probably name the boy Michael as his middle name after my uncle, who is my best friend in the whole world.

Written By: Jessica on 09/23/04 at 11:15 pm

We've batted around the name Jason Michael, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/23/04 at 11:25 pm

Cool Jessica.

Some other names I like, girl's names, Mari(Welsh form of Mary), Sunshine. Boy's names Anthony, Sawyl(pronounced sow-ool, Welsh form of Samuel), Steffan(stuh-fon, Welsh form of Stephen), Gareth(old Welsh name from the Arthurian tales, Gareth was one of the Knights of the Round Table).

As you can probably tell I'm into my Welsh heritage.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/04 at 1:33 am

"Malcolm X John Lennon"

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/24/04 at 2:27 am

Male:
John
James
George

Female:
Mary
Christen
Janet

-Doesn't really matter, I choose not to breed.

Written By: karen on 09/24/04 at 4:02 am

My two are called Elizabeth Victoria and James William.

I did toy with Bethan and Megan as alternative girls names.  I guess we might have used Megan if James had been a girl.  For some reason we never thought about girls names when I was expecting him.  <shrugs>

I don't plan to have any more children.  My two are more than enough.

You also need to think about how the names fit with your surname and, particularly if you choose an unusual name, if they will spend their life spelling it.  Also check the initials don't spell anything embarrasing.  I bet Paul Ian Grant hated have to initial things!

Written By: joedeertae on 09/24/04 at 5:37 am

Also check the initials don't spell anything embarrasing.  I bet Paul Ian Grant hated have to initial things!

Thats true my mom's initials were BLT for a long time which was cool because it was/is her favorite sandwich. After she remarried her initials were BO :-[ now that stinks for intitials ::) :P

Written By: joedeertae on 09/24/04 at 5:48 am

My two boy's names are Thomas and Brandon with their middle names being the same as my first and middle names (does it sound arrogant to name your kids with your name? hope not, it wasn't meant that way ??? ) If we have a girl this time we are going to name her Britney Spears ::) JUST KIDDING ;D her name will be Samantha we are still working on a boy name.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/04 at 5:55 am

I named my son after my father out of nostalgia and familial loyalty, but I did have
the name Elkanah(el-KAY-nuh) in mind. Sometimes I wish I had.

Written By: karen on 09/24/04 at 6:17 am

My two boy's names are Thomas and Brandon with their middle names being the same as my first and middle names (does it sound arrogant to name your kids with your name? hope not, it wasn't meant that way ??? )

I think using your name as a middle name is o.k.  But using the same first name is a bit weird (no disrespect to Icelandic/Scandanavian/Dutch etc. for whom it's traditional)

The neighbours at our first house, Tom and Stella, had two children, a boy and a girl, and called them Tom and Stella!  I think it just shows a lack of imagination, not to say confusing when post arrives or you are asking to speak to senior and get junior!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/04 at 9:30 am

If I had a kid, I'd be inclined more to a traditional name, rather than a hippie name or trailer park name.

Written By: Apricot on 09/24/04 at 2:33 pm

Prolly something with Latin roots, maybe something vaguely Asian if not Latin.... that is, if I have children. I'm not of age, and I'm not really fit to be a father  :( . Not that it really upsets me that much.

Written By: Junior on 09/24/04 at 6:09 pm

I like the names Keegan, Keiran, Chase, Brayden, and Devon for guys, and Gina, Cameron, and Devon for girls. (I'm hoping I won't be using all eight of these names one day though.) :o  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 09/24/04 at 8:01 pm

If I do end up having another child and it is a boy he will be Jared Michael.  Girls names are hard, though.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/24/04 at 8:51 pm

I was always partial to Richard, Blaine, Paul, Randall, Brain and Matthew ;)

Written By: Just Visiting on 10/23/04 at 11:40 pm

I like the names Keegan, Keiran, Chase, Brayden, and Devon for guys, and Gina, Cameron, and Devon for girls. (I'm hoping I won't be using all eight of these names one day though.) :o  :P

Okay....this just caught my attention.  :)  I have a Keegan.  Took several months to "convince" hubbby of it, but now that we have Keegan Daniel, I can't even imagine him being anything else.   ;)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 10/24/04 at 12:05 am

If I do end up having another child and it is a boy he will be Jared Michael.  Girls names are hard, though.

See I had more trouble coming up with a boy's name--my daughter, Kayleigh, was named before I was married or even thought of having kids at 15 years old! But our sons, well, that was tougher for us.  Our oldest is Cody, and that was only because it was the first name that hubby and I both agreed on (we both wanted something else initially--he wanted Zachary and I wanted Aaron) and our youngest (the above-mentioned Keegan) was nameless untill I was about 6-7 months pregnant!!

I think it's great if you can already have a name in mind before you have a baby--makes it a little simpler; at least gives you somewhere to start with convincing the other half!  LOL!

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/24/04 at 2:33 am

If I had a kid, I'd be inclined more to a traditional name, rather than a hippie name or trailer park name.

I forgot about this thread...

Maxwell, that's not very nice! 

Written By: Marian on 10/26/04 at 9:15 pm

:Dnot close to that yet,but for a girl i would consider Yelena,Lara(Larisa),Dasha(Daria),Keturah,Anya,Katya(Yekaterina),Amabel,Charlotte or Carlotta,Livia,Evaleen,Priya,Emily,Emmeline,Aurelia,and I'm sure i left out a few.For a boy,I thoink it's best to let the husband have a major say.Cheers!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/04 at 10:08 pm

See I had more trouble coming up with a boy's name--my daughter, Kayleigh, was named before I was married or even thought of having kids at 15 years old! But our sons, well, that was tougher for us. Our oldest is Cody, and that was only because it was the first name that hubby and I both agreed on (we both wanted something else initially--he wanted Zachary and I wanted Aaron) and our youngest (the above-mentioned Keegan) was nameless untill I was about 6-7 months pregnant!!

I think it's great if you can already have a name in mind before you have a baby--makes it a little simpler; at least gives you somewhere to start with convincing the other half! LOL!

I like Kayleigh.  That is a pretty name.  I had a rough time naming my daughter.  It is hard coming up with a name you can imagine a 70 year old named.  My mom ended up picking her name.

It is nice to have a boy name picked out, but seeings how I don't have an other half, I probably won't be using the name.  (not that I am planning on another child.  I like not having diapers to change)

Written By: philbo on 10/27/04 at 7:04 am

My two girls are Nonie and Cecilia, the boys Richard and Edmund - there's a story behind the first of those (if anybody's been around these forums long enough, they might remember... it was a looong time ago that I first mentioned it)

Written By: onaree on 10/27/04 at 8:05 am

Well, we've been trying to have a child for almost 6 years now, so we've had lots of time to decide on a name.  The boy will be Samuel Josiah and the girl will be Katheryn Elizabeth.  Samuel because of Samuel in the Bible and how his mother, Hannah, prayed for him for so long.  Katheryn after my hubby's grandmother and Elizabeth after my grandmother.  We'll call her Katie Beth.

Written By: bj26 on 10/27/04 at 11:27 am

if a boy - Elvis Spartacus

if girl - Tagatha :)

Written By: Harmonica on 10/27/04 at 12:01 pm

I dont' ever want to have kids...but I'm prepared just in case it happens

Boys
Del Martin - but call him Marty
Emmett
Collin
Johnny
Urijah
Gray
Murray
Roman

Girls
Grace
Larraine

The way I see, I like those 2 girls names but I think it's more appropriate for the mother to name the daughter

Written By: Skylark on 10/27/04 at 12:32 pm

Well, I wouldn't have babies even if hell froze over, but if by some crazy circumstance I ever do, I'll make up something unique and exotic-sounding such as follows:

For boys: Shuseti, Zuriel, Saurel, Corran
For girls: Ysi, Ist, Rhani, Tepris

I was always partial to Richard, Blaine, Paul, Randall, Brain and Matthew   <--- Quote

- You do mean Brian, right? I can't help giggling my head off when I think of someone called Brain! ^^ I really love the name "Blaine", though. It's unusual. It sounds so beautiful, especially for a boy. Randall is also cool, but sounds more like a surname, I think.

Written By: ElDuderino on 01/25/05 at 3:06 pm

I found a cool name that I like, its almost unheard of here in America.

Lachlan(pronounced lock-lun), it comes from the Scotish surname McLachlan. It means 'from the lake'(it was originally the term used to describe the vikings). The nickname for it is Lachy(lock-ee). Its most popular in Australia. In fact, I heard the name on a discussion on a Batman message board because Australian thesp Lachy Hulme('Sparks' in the Matrix Revolutions) is heavily rumored to play the Joker in the sequel to the upcoming 'Batman Begins'.

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/25/05 at 3:34 pm

if a boy - Elvis Spartacus

No offense but I think that is hilarious. ;D

My daughter bears a Shakespearian name.  My wife and I cannot decide on a name for a boy however.  These are some of the suggestions:

Mine:
Owen
Linus
Alasdaire

Hers:
Spenser
Dominic

We came up with a name that uses letters from our names.  Tell me what you think - Suchar (such-er)  One of the problems we have with names is the fact that we live in the Deep South where the locals tend to butcher the pronunciation of everything (I mean where else will you get two syllables from the name Al?)

Who knows?  You guys may help us name our child. ???

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/25/05 at 9:01 pm

Stupid and ignorant people will pronounce the name "Suchar" as "sucker".

Written By: AL-B on 01/25/05 at 9:06 pm

You know, if I ever have a son, I'll think I'll name him...Bill or Ted or George, anything but Sue!!!

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/25/05 at 11:36 pm

:) That's one of my son's names!!

Written By: kairi747 on 01/26/05 at 11:15 am

I think using your name as a middle name is o.k.  But using the same first name is a bit weird (no disrespect to Icelandic/Scandanavian/Dutch etc. for whom it's traditional)

The neighbours at our first house, Tom and Stella, had two children, a boy and a girl, and called them Tom and Stella!  I think it just shows a lack of imagination, not to say confusing when post arrives or you are asking to speak to senior and get junior!

i went to high school with two kids donald and bernadette whose parents were donald and bernadette. somehow i think if i grew up with the name bernadette i would not inflict such pain on my daughter!  ;)

Written By: kairi747 on 01/26/05 at 11:19 am

See I had more trouble coming up with a boy's name--my daughter, Kayleigh, was named before I was married or even thought of having kids at 15 years old! But our sons, well, that was tougher for us.  Our oldest is Cody, and that was only because it was the first name that hubby and I both agreed on (we both wanted something else initially--he wanted Zachary and I wanted Aaron) and our youngest (the above-mentioned Keegan) was nameless untill I was about 6-7 months pregnant!!

I think it's great if you can already have a name in mind before you have a baby--makes it a little simpler; at least gives you somewhere to start with convincing the other half!  LOL!

i chose the name kayley for a girl.  she would have been named for my grandparents kay and stanley.  but we had a boy!

Written By: kairi747 on 01/26/05 at 11:22 am

Well, I wouldn't have babies even if hell froze over, but if by some crazy circumstance I ever do, I'll make up something unique and exotic-sounding such as follows:

For boys: Shuseti, Zuriel, Saurel, Corran
For girls: Ysi, Ist, Rhani, Tepris

I was always partial to Richard, Blaine, Paul, Randall, Brain and Matthew   <--- Quote

- You do mean Brian, right? I can't help giggling my head off when I think of someone called Brain! ^^ I really love the name "Blaine", though. It's unusual. It sounds so beautiful, especially for a boy. Randall is also cool, but sounds more like a surname, I think.

"blaine?  that's not a name, that's a major appliance!"  (from pretty in pink)  my daughter's middle name is blaine

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 11:39 am

You know, if I ever have a son, I'll think I'll name him...Bill or Ted or George, anything but Sue!!!

LOL.. hey at least he'll get tough.

About 6 months ago the girl i (at the time) was with scared the crap out of me by discussing kids name.. anywho i came up with some excellent one that i wanna keep..

If it was a girl Theresa Florentyna..

If it was a lad Alan (Al), Larry, Shawn or Kurt

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/26/05 at 11:50 am

If I ever decide to be a parent (I want to be childfree)...

For a boy: Philip -or- Haden (I love that spelling of the name! Hayden is so... phonetic).

For a girl: Europa (From that Thomas Dolby song 'Europa and the Pirate Twins').

Written By: AL-B on 01/26/05 at 12:36 pm

If it was a lad Alan (Al)
You have good taste, sir!  ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 12:44 pm

ah yes i see... I will say it was my suggestion along with Larry & Kurt.. i am not as keen on the name Shawn but it ranks up there.. i think it's ok.

Written By: Powerslave on 01/26/05 at 12:45 pm

My wife and I are naming our child Jacinta.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 1:20 pm

What aboot Darrell?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/05 at 12:31 am

I like the name Jadin Xavier, or Gale Morgan for a boy....

for a girl...I also like the name Jaden, or Raven, Ariana,....

there are so many that I really like!

Erin :)

Written By: goodsin on 07/04/05 at 3:03 am

But using the same first name is a bit weird.

There's a chav girl on my street who has 5 children, all called Dwayne. I asked her why she called them all the same christian name, she said it makes them easier to call- if she needs to get them in for dinner, she can just call "Dwayne, your mini-kievs are ready!" and all five will come running. So I said to her, "What do you do if you want to call them individually?", she replied "Oh, then I just use their surnames!"  ;D

My daughter is called Mia Emily. We decided on Mia first, I then wanted 'Culpa' as a middle name, as whenever my partner had pains during pregnancy, she would say "this is your fault" (Latin mass reference). This is sad, but it's also no coincidence that my daughter's initials spell out the name of the 151st Pokemon... :D

Written By: Apricot on 07/04/05 at 10:01 am

What will you name your child if you have one, or your next child/first child(if you are planning to have one/have another)?

I am young, and I have made no decisions on whether or not I will have children.

However, if I were to have a son I'd name him Afon(pronounced A-von, it's a Welsh name). If it was a girl I'd name her Beatrice.

Beatrice is pretty cool, but I don't like the spelling of "Afon".. I just I just never liked "Af". Meh.

I plan to name my son {assuming I have children} Isaac, or my daughter Danielle.. but then, it's not entirely my decision. Those are just what I'd like.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/05 at 11:04 am

Shouldn't you name a child after a person/relative in your family who has just passed away or does it really matter? ???

Written By: Apricot on 07/04/05 at 2:56 pm

No, I don't think it matters.. naming them that way, sure it perpetuates the whole honor thing, but it really isn't needed. If you want to, you can.. but think about it.. do you want someone in today's society having a really, really, really old name? Or one you don't like? Do you want a child named some old-lady name?

Written By: Marian on 07/05/05 at 2:16 pm

My niece is named Maryn Chase,and had the same birthday as Phil Everly!! 8)

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/05/05 at 3:21 pm

Scoupe Deville
Trisha Monasis
Sistina Chapelle
Noxema Tegrin
Zoe Battafaco

Written By: Howard on 07/05/05 at 6:01 pm

No, I don't think it matters.. naming them that way, sure it perpetuates the whole honor thing, but it really isn't needed. If you want to, you can.. but think about it.. do you want someone in today's society having a really, really, really old name? Or one you don't like? Do you want a child named some old-lady name?

I think it's probably in the Jewish tradition that you should name your baby after the last person someone that was close to you in your family OR relative of some sort.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/05 at 9:36 pm

Scoupe Deville
Trisha Monasis
Sistina Chapelle
Noxema Tegrin
Zoe Battafaco

Zoe is a cool name...but we had a dog named that one time...and she was a total idiot!! LOL!

Written By: Carrie on 07/06/05 at 12:04 am

I already have two sons, Andrew Charles (Charles is a family name) and Cameron Alexander. If I have a girl, I would like to name her Chloe. If I have another boy... who knows! And I may change my mind about Chloe... we'll see if and when I have another child.  :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/05 at 2:45 pm

I like Skyler, Emerson, Vada, and I think Aselin is a cool name, too.

~Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 3:00 pm

I like Skyler, Emerson, Vada, and I think Aselin is a cool name, too.

You spelt it wrong Beth.. it's 'Vader'

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/05 at 3:02 pm

You spelt it wrong Beth.. it's 'Vader'

You know, Vada. Like the little girl from the movie "My Girl"

~Beth

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/06/05 at 3:10 pm

Siobhan Yin

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 3:14 pm

You know, Vada. Like the little girl from the movie "My Girl"

No...No i in fact don't.

You know, Vader. Like the 7 foot tall evil Genocidal Dark Lord from the movie "Star Wars"

Written By: Marian on 07/07/05 at 3:21 pm

I think it's probably in the Jewish tradition that you should name your baby after the last person someone that was close to you in your family OR relative of some sort.
With less strict jews(forgot the term),tradition is to use the first letter or sound of a grandparent's name.But in my niece's case,it would have had to staart with a t,and my sister and brother in law didn't like any t names.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/05 at 3:24 pm

With less strict jews(forgot the term),tradition is to use the first letter or sound of a grandparent's name.But in my niece's case,it would have had to staart with a t,and my sister and brother in law didn't like any t names.

I was thinking Marian that if I wanted to get married to Robin,I would name my child whether it be a boy or girl after my late brother who had passed away 10 years ago.

Written By: Schillingfan on 07/07/05 at 5:09 pm

My Top 5 names for kids in the future

1. Peter  ;D
2. Hans or Johann  ;D
3. Robert  :)
4. Roland  ;D
5. Thomas  :)

Name no.2 is after the Austrian singer Falco and I said both because his biographies go between the names Hans and Johann, but I think his name is really Johann.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/05 at 9:17 pm

I also like the name Pheobe for a girl.

Written By: Apricot on 07/07/05 at 9:49 pm

Yeah, Pheobe is a good name.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/05 at 9:53 pm

Yeah, Pheobe is a good name.

hahaah...everytime I see or hear the name Pheobe..I can't help but to think back to a time on Nick at Nite...when they had the Brady Bunch marathon....well, they created a "lost brady" and her name was Phoebe. She was a chubby little red-haired girl...they would dub her into the Brady Bunch episodes...it was quite funny!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/07/05 at 10:12 pm

hahaah...everytime I see or hear the name Pheobe..I can't help but to think back to a time on Nick at Nite...when they had the Brady Bunch marathon....well, they created a "lost brady" and her name was Phoebe. She was a chubby little red-haired girl...they would dub her into the Brady Bunch episodes...it was quite funny!

Woah, that was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. Man, Nick @ Nite used to be so cool.

~Beth ;D

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 2:01 am

I remember that! It was funny.

Written By: Apricot on 07/08/05 at 8:27 pm

hahaah...everytime I see or hear the name Pheobe..I can't help but to think back to a time on Nick at Nite...when they had the Brady Bunch marathon....well, they created a "lost brady" and her name was Phoebe. She was a chubby little red-haired girl...they would dub her into the

Oh my God.. that's one of my oldest memories of time I spent with my grandma.. I don't remember too much specific until after I was 6 or so.. that's one of the first things I remember.. watching that at my grandma's house.

Written By: tv on 07/17/05 at 2:16 am

Child Name(I only thought about girl names mostly.)

Gabriel(thats a really pretty name)

Jennifer

Deborah(l don't like the name Debbie however.) Sort of like Debbie Gibson want to be referred too as Deborah Gibson nowadays.

Adriana(I think thats a real pretty name too.)

Guys

Jamie

Antoine

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 9:55 pm

I think I posted in a thread just like this a long time ago.... Well here I go again.

For boys:

Tristan
Jaden/Jade/Jalen
Elijah
Vincent
Benjamin
Gabriel
Rafael
James
Keegan
Caleb
Malichai
Layne
Isaac
Riley
Draven
Leon
Jayce
Lucien
Sean
Brody
Leland
Jacob
Tobias
Kami
Mackenzie
Damien
Noel/Noelle
Talon

For girls:

Anna
Lidia
Kyrie
Willow
Leyna
Samantha
Raine
Victoria
Amy
Katherine
Brianna
Isabel
Josephine
Rebecca
Hannah
Autumn
Elena
Jessamine
and Kaida  :)

I guess you can all see I'm kind of a name freak.  ::) Funny thing is that I hate kids but I have a feeling I might have a couple one day just so I can name them. lmbo

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/18/05 at 11:45 am

::) Funny thing is that I hate kids but I have a feeling I might have a couple one day just so I can name them. lmbo

Same here. I have a very low tolerance for children...VERY LOW. Who knows, though...someday that might change, doubt it, but you never know.

~Beth

Written By: Marian on 07/18/05 at 2:35 pm

Zoe is a cool name...but we had a dog named that one time...and she was a total idiot!! LOL!

It;s a;so the name of the evil leaper from Quantum Leap.

Written By: jiminy on 07/18/05 at 5:52 pm

Magnus

Written By: Schillingfan on 07/20/05 at 1:25 pm

I know at girl at school who's name is Eileen but we call her Yin.

About my name, my initials are A.J.E.W, but when shortened, it's A.W. It's either the word "aw" or A&W (which happens to be a restaurant that I like).

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 8:55 am

Same here. I have a very low tolerance for children...VERY LOW. Who knows, though...someday that might change, doubt it, but you never know.

And another. I've always hated children, but I figure that adults seem to enjoy them.. I figure eventually, raising the spawn of the person you love might be pretty rewarding.

And if need be, I'm surprinsingly good with children.

Written By: chel-bert on 07/22/05 at 12:54 pm

I already have 2 , both girls.
Lilly Marie...her initials are LMN
and the second we were hoping for a boy and spent some time on boys names
we came up with
Robert Michael after our fathers (to common)
Colin Michael Robert (to long our last name is 14 letters already)
Corbin Robert
What we ended up with was a girl
we thought of
Brynn(after my mom, Brenda)
but it was hard finding middle names we finally loved Danae(duh-NAY) and Brynn Danae would have been fine but we liked Danae better than Brynn and ended up with
Danae Morgan N

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/22/05 at 1:38 pm

Fortula

Check for new replies or respond here...