inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?)

Written By: Xonnie316 on 09/24/04 at 6:33 am

http://www.facultyof1000.com/graphics/ipod.jpg

I am getting hyped up to buy an iPod (40gbs) practically by December, not for Christmas but by the time, get some money,

It would be like my music storage, imagine all my mp3s in it, wow,

Coz I am gonna tell a friend to get me an Alpine stereo from New York, and it has the feature to connect the iPod to it,

I would be cruisin in my car with my iPod, cool sh** or what,

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/leading_technology/kca-420i/system_xpans.jpg

This is the alpine car stereo I want to get:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/cms/download.php?id=234

So Ya Think The iPod Is Worthed ?

Subject: Re: I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?)

Written By: Kryllith on 09/24/04 at 7:27 am

Don't have one personally, since I've a MD recorder which can store plenty of information on it as well (something like 5-6 hours/disk). The ipods seem pretty cool though. Course, a colleague of mine dropped is and now had to shell out $100 to replace the harddrive. I'd suggest getting the extended warranty, if it's not too expensive.

Kryllith

Written By: Apricot on 09/24/04 at 2:01 pm

http://www.facultyof1000.com/graphics/ipod.jpg

I am getting hyped up to buy an iPod (40gbs) practically by December, not for Christmas but by the time, get some money,

It would be like my music storage, imagine all my mp3s in it, wow,

Coz I am gonna tell a friend to get me an Alpine stereo from New York, and it has the feature to connect the iPod to it,

I would be cruisin in my car with my iPod, cool sh** or what,

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/leading_technology/kca-420i/system_xpans.jpg

This is the alpine car stereo I want to get:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/cms/download.php?id=234

So Ya Think The iPod Is Worthed ?

Get a Dell DJ if it isn't too late. If you're using it mostly for music, consider this: It has 40 Gigs of memory for 279 bucks, where that much on an iPod is gonna run ya 400 bucks. No exaggeration! I have one, and it does exactly what It promises: Plays music, and does it well. I love it!

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 5:49 pm

The only thing I have heard about an Ipod is that the software that goes with it is a bit clunky. Not sure if that is true though.

It sounds very cool (especially as an add-on in the car). I have a Nomad Zen Extra 40 gb MP3 player and it does me fine.

Written By: Junior on 09/24/04 at 6:06 pm

If you're looking for reliability, iPod will probably be best.

I bought a 20GB Archos Jukebox about two years ago for $200 (actually, I think it was like $250 plus a rebate), and it worked fine for me, no real problems for about a year - I had dropped it a couple times, but nothing wrong. One day all of a sudden, it would give an HD error. Tried replacing the batteries as the FAQ suggested, and e-mailed tech support, but nothing worked. It's been a year since the player "died", and I've considered getting a new mp3 player, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread too.

Written By: skooldays on 04/03/05 at 12:15 pm

Ipod was invented years ago and i can prove it

see this advert i found round my nans the other day
she said she had so many they used to throw them in the bin

http://www.skooldays.com/images/retro_ipod.jpg

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 12:54 pm

Get a Dell DJ if it isn't too late. If you're using it mostly for music, consider this: It has 40 Gigs of memory for 279 bucks, where that much on an iPod is gonna run ya 400 bucks. No exaggeration! I have one, and it does exactly what It promises: Plays music, and does it well. I love it!

Um, you don't have to pay jack. You can put mp3s you downloaded for free from p2p programs on there.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/03/05 at 4:13 pm

Quite expensive. But worth it if you listen to music alot? (Has to be better than carrying 20+ CD's and a bulky Discman everywhere)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/05 at 12:45 am

If I were you I wouldn't get an ipod. Now that mp3 players are so cheap, there are plenty of better options. Ie. Iriver, JNC, Dell, Creative.etc players that have more features like fm, inline recording (ie. record from the radio), you can organise your files in win explorer, proper remote and better sound. Even players with colour screens that can display pics and play videos are fairly cheap now. I bought an Iriver player about a year ago and it was cheaper than an ipod with way more features and I don't regret it.

Written By: bj26 on 04/04/05 at 7:59 am

My kid has a Dell DJ and really loves it, the neck wrap around head phones were also nice.

Written By: thebutcheress on 04/04/05 at 3:48 pm

I have an Ipod MIni which cost me $199 (for the Ipod) and $50 for the bestbuy warranty (which is awesome). I've droppe dit a number of times and still plays wonderfully! I started with 4 GB of memory and have 400 + songs on it. I still have 3.3 GB left. The way it stores the files is better than your computer. Still you'll need space on your computer before you change the original music files to The ACC file format.

I love my Ipod. I'm actually Importing Rammstein and Godsmack onto it now!

Just a thought! DON'T USE ITUNES for your downloads! It expensive and useless. Use anything else LimeWire PRo is awesome for downloads!

Written By: thebutcheress on 04/04/05 at 3:53 pm

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XR4KA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

by the way, heres a picture of the Ipod MIni its much smaller than the original ipod.

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/07 at 1:23 am

There were a total of three guests online, and they were all viewing this thread.  I just had to post that :D

User  Time  Action
Guest  02:21:58 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).
Guest  02:21:48 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).
Guest  02:21:07 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).

Written By: karen on 01/23/08 at 10:05 pm

There were a total of three guests online, and they were all viewing this thread.  I just had to post that :D

User  Time  Action
Guest  02:21:58 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).
Guest  02:21:48 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).
Guest  02:21:07 AM Viewing the topic I'm Thinking Of Buying An iPod (What Ya Think A Good Choice ?).

I just checked this thread out because three guests were viewing it.  Maybe it was the same three?

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/08 at 10:37 pm

I just checked this thread out because three guests were viewing it.  Maybe it was the same three?

Perhaps they were a bunch of guests who needed money to buy an iPod and thought this thread was a good place to start ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/08 at 11:16 am

Perhaps they were a bunch of guests who needed money to buy an iPod and thought this thread was a good place to start ;D

When I saw this thread, that was my thought, too. Classic thread.  :D ;D ;D ;D  We should find that one for those who have not read it yet.

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/24/08 at 1:13 pm

this one?  :D

Written By: nally on 01/24/08 at 1:15 pm

When I saw this thread, that was my thought, too. Classic thread.  :D ;D ;D ;D  We should find that one for those who have not read it yet.

Cat

I was wondering why this thread was so guest-popular, along with other threads that we've poked fun at in the MC Hammer Pants thread.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/08 at 10:32 pm

Cat

we should I laughed so hard reading that thread the first time....

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/08 at 2:01 am

Luck of the draw.  Actually, this wouldn't be a bad place to solicit advice on portable players -- we have a lot of music enthusiasts around here, and let's face it, most of the "old stuff' from prior decades isn't being actively marketed.

For anyone still looking for reviews on DAPs (digital audio players), I'd recommend DAP Review. Decent reviews, and independent.  Around the time this thread went live, I went the route of the Sansa e2xx series (e280, 8GB, solid-state).  The deal-maker with Sansa (and the dealbreaker with most of its competition) was that it supported UMS (universal mass storage, the standard by which any random thing stuck into any USB port on anything from a Linux rig to an OS X box to a Windows 9x-thru-Vista machine shows up as a hard drive) protocol, as well as MTP (Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol, which requires XP/Vista, and excludes all other operating systems). 

If you want to get tied into an ecosystem for purchasing music, iTunes is a pretty good one. I still drool over the iPod's UI; there's no doubt that Apple has the best user interface designers on the planet. 

But the bottom line was that I had a large library of pre-ripped music from my own CDs and vinyl, and didn't want to be locked into any one vendor, so UMS support was a must-have feature for me.  The iPod was the first device struck off my buy list.  I'm gleefully happy with my e280.  8 gigabytes, solid state storage.  Rugged as all get out, and whenever I don't it crammed full of MP3s on it, it doubles as an 8GB flash drive.  Bonus points for having a microSD slot for an additional 2GB of removable storage.

Sansa, being owned by Sandisk, makes their money selling flash memory, not music.  I liked that -- I didn't want a music store, I wanted a portable drive that played MP3s.  If Sansa offers a successor to the e2xx line that offers UMS storage for cross-platform compatibility and SDHC (support for 4GB+ microSD cards), I'll be the first in line.

Until then, I'm happy with my e280.  "What's that thing the size of your fingernail?"  "That's a 2GB microSD card."  "What's on it?"  "The 80s."  "I'm not into 80s."  "OK, pick up one of the other ones labeled 'the 60s', 'the 70s', 'the 90s', or 'the 00s'".

Check for new replies or respond here...