inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man clocked at 205 MPH

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/04 at 5:46 am

He was going 140 over the speed limit.  If he hit anything, he'd be dust on a motorcycle.  205 MPH is over the speed of a hurricane force winds, and those winds can put a pineneedle 2 inches through a telephone pole, and their weightless!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-09-21-speeder_x.htm

Subject: Re: Man clocked at 205 MPH

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/26/04 at 11:25 am

I heard about this, they were talking about it on the radio here in Houston.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/04 at 1:18 pm

What kind of bike was that?  I didn't know a regular motorcycle could go that fast.  I don't know how he managed to stay on the thing!  Talk about cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/26/04 at 5:54 pm

:o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/26/04 at 5:56 pm

maybe he was in a hurry on his way to Sturgis :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/26/04 at 7:28 pm

;)  hey...maybe Penske Racing South could recruit the guy as Rusty Wallace's replacement in the Miller Lite Dodge for NASCAR Nextel Cup... ;)
just kidding...but Rusty Wallace is really retiring,I think after the 2005 season... :-[

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/26/04 at 10:07 pm

;)  hey...maybe Penske Racing South could recruit the guy as Rusty Wallace's replacement in the Miller Lite Dodge for NASCAR Nextel Cup... ;)
just kidding...but Rusty Wallace is really retiring,I think after the 2005 season... :-That's also what I've been hearing :-\\

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 10:09 pm

That's also what I've been hearing :-\\

Ugh, NASCAR. NOT with a gun to my head.

You couldn't get me to watch that with a bottle of ether and a roll of duct tape.

Just felt like saying that.  ;)

Written By: Fred on 09/26/04 at 11:08 pm

Whoa.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/27/04 at 12:27 am

You couldn't get me to watch that with a bottle of ether and a roll of duct tape.

Woah, NASCAR rules.  Besides baseball, its my favorite.  ABG- Anybody but Gordon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 12:30 am

NASCAR's alright.  I get bored if they're just going around and around the track.  I prefer a three way crash, a rollover, and an explosion!
;)

Written By: Kenlos on 09/27/04 at 12:34 am

I agree Nascar rules!  Go Mark Martin!  Is it just me or has this topic completely changed topic.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/27/04 at 5:31 pm

Just felt like saying that. ;)
You'd never be able to live with me.........It's NASCAR Nextel Cup racing every weekend at my place....and no,my place is not a beat up old trailer. My computer desk has NASCAR stuff all over it,die cast cars,pix of Tony Stewart and Dale Jr,a Tony Stewart bumpersticker with the #20 Home Depot Chevy....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 6:24 pm

NASCAR's alright.  I get bored if they're just going around and around the track.  I prefer a three way crash, a rollover, and an explosion!
;)
Just so long as nobody gets seriously injured or dies, right :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 6:25 pm

Well...no, the ether would knock you out :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 10:26 pm

Just so long as nobody gets seriously injured or dies, right :D

Well, that's the thing about pro auto racing, the cars are so well engineered they can crash horrifically without injuring the driver.  I remember seeing one car doing flaming cartwheels over and over.  Then later they were interviewing the driver saying, "Yeah, it was a real disappoinging day for me..."
8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 10:30 pm

Well, that's the thing about pro auto racing, the cars are so well engineered they can crash horrifically without injuring the driver.  I remember seeing one car doing flaming cartwheels over and over.  Then later they were interviewing the driver saying, "Yeah, it was a real disappoinging day for me..."
8)
While cars being much safer is true, I still was realy shocked that Dale Earnhardt died :\'(

Written By: zcrito on 09/27/04 at 11:06 pm

He was going 140 over the speed limit.  If he hit anything, he'd be dust on a motorcycle.  205 MPH is over the speed of a hurricane force winds, and those winds can put a pineneedle 2 inches through a telephone pole, and their weightless!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-09-21-speeder_x.htm

"When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph."

For all you Algebra fans, that's:

Distance = Rate * Time.

Distance = 1/4 mile.
Rate = ? (in miles per hour)
Time = 4.39 seconds and 4.39 seconds =  (4.39sec./1) * (1 min./60 sec.) * (1hour/60 min.) = 4.39/3600 hours.
So, for D = R*T, we have: 1/4 mile = Rate * (4.39/3600 hours). 
Now find Rate: Rate = (1/4 mile) * (3600/4.39 hours)   =  205.0114 miles per hour!

;D
;D
;)
:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 11:17 pm

"When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph."

Distance = Rate * Time.

Distance = 1/4 mile.
Time = 4.39 seconds and 4.39 seconds =  (4.39sec./1) * (1 min./60 sec.) * (1hour/60 min.) = 4.39/3600 hours.
Now find Rate: Rate = (1/4 mile) * (3600/4.39 hours)   =  205.0114 miles per hour!

;D
;D
;)

Wow!  How did you figure that out?  I couldn't do that.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/27/04 at 11:32 pm

Wow! How did you figure that out? I couldn't do that.

Indeed. I am horrible at Algebra. I'm in remedial Math class.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/27/04 at 11:48 pm

Distance = Rate * Time.

Distance = 1/4 mile.

;D
;D
;)

Woah, they didn't teach that when I was in school.

Written By: karen on 09/28/04 at 5:07 am

I did the maths yesterday but got it wrong the first time.  I muddled up time to do a mile as distance travelled in a minute and had the guy doing over a 1,000 mph!  Got it right second time round.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/28/04 at 5:41 am

I cheated and read the article. :D  ;D Looks to be a pinch over 205mph ;D

Written By: karen on 09/28/04 at 5:52 am

I cheated and read the article. :D  ;D Looks to be a pinch over 205mph ;D

I did the maths just because I wouldn't necessarily trust your average cop to be able to do it correctly.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/04 at 5:57 am

Actually, that is what they use in m/c's to go fast like that.  If that story is true, I don't tend to believe it,
it would seem to me to have been a bike modified to run on ether.  They are built to run at the
Bonneville Salt Flats, they run them once, then tear them down and rebuild.  Only an idiot would
try that on any public way no matter how long straight or flat. (yeah, I been around) 8)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/28/04 at 6:48 am

I did the maths just because I wouldn't necessarily trust your average cop to be able to do it correctly.

Amen to that!

Written By: philbo on 09/29/04 at 8:47 am

He'd probably read the bit on speed cameras where anything above 190mph it assumes is a malfunction - unfortunately for him it was a trooper with a stopwatch.

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 6:14 am

Actually, that is what they use in m/c's to go fast like that.  If that story is true, I don't tend to believe it,
it would seem to me to have been a bike modified to run on ether.  They are built to run at the
Bonneville Salt Flats, they run them once, then tear them down and rebuild.  Only an idiot would
try that on any public way no matter how long straight or flat. (yeah, I been around) 8)

I'm not too sure about the veracity of this story, either. According to the article, the motorbike in question was a 1,000cc Honda. I don't know what models you get in the US, but the main 1,000cc sportsbikes Honda produce are the '04 Fireblade or the VTR SP-2 (RC51 in the US, I believe), neither of which can do that sort of speed as standard. 175MPH is about the most they would do; from my experience of drag-strip testing, the amount of modification necessary to get the extra 30MPH would be huge, and may involve turbos, superchargers, nitrous oxide injection etc. Even with this amount of modification, very few road-legal bikes break the 200MPH barrier. We have had many instances in this country of police, using the same 'point-to-point' system to judge speed, exaggerating speeds recorded well beyond the capabilities of the machine alledged to have performed them...just wondering if your Po-lice are prone to the same vagaries... ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/04 at 8:32 am

I once took a Norton P11 cafe racer out on the highway and cranked it to 105,(young and wicked stupid)  so I got the feel for that. 205, on a public way, nope.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/04 at 9:46 am

What was he doing riding his bike at 200MPH for pete's sake?  :o ::)

Howard

Written By: goodsin on 10/09/04 at 8:45 am

What was he doing riding his bike at 200MPH for pete's sake?  :o ::)

Howard

I think the motorcycle vernacular would be 'the double ton', old boy... I must admit it's pretty daft doing that sort of speed on the road, from other road users' point of view. Perhaps there wasn't an airstrip long enough for him to test the top speed available?

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 9:58 am

He could've killed somebody. >:(

Howard

Written By: philbo on 10/09/04 at 1:21 pm

Most likely himself...

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/04 at 4:05 pm

And you wouldn't want ot be on that clean-up crew :P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 5:27 pm

Howard

Only himself.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 7:45 pm

And you wouldn't want ot be on that clean-up crew :P

just imagine the bloody mess. :P ;D

Howard

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/04 at 6:27 am

Only himself.

No, he could have hit another vehicle and caused an innocent death, or deaths.  Street
racers usually take someone with them when they go.

Written By: philbo on 10/11/04 at 7:24 am

Most likely himself...

Only himself.

...just struck me that in these five words we have the difference between the absolute black-and-white and the real world...

But if anything happens at that speed, the rider is 99.9% likely to be roadkill; if it's an ordinary car that gets hit, then they can probably wave bye-bye, too.  A truck, OTOH will get a serious dent. but won't kill the driver if he's hit from behind,  I guess

Anyone know if there's any pix on the 'net of >200mph impacts?

Written By: karen on 10/11/04 at 7:36 am

Philbo

I'm going to e-mail someone I know who works in vehicle accidnet investigation.  If I find anything I'll post it here.

Written By: karen on 10/11/04 at 8:20 am

Philbo

I'm going to e-mail someone I know who works in vehicle accident investigation. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Here's his reply Philbo

"I can only think of watching F1 on telly or searching for some dragster
videos for sale on ebay.
To my knowledge nobody has every done crash tests in excess of 80mph as
there is nothing left of a road car after this speed of crash.
Not much help I know."

So there you have it.  Had this guy crashed he, his bike and what he hit would be pretty much destroyed beyond recognition.

Written By: philbo on 10/11/04 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Karen.

Written By: karen on 10/11/04 at 9:31 am

When I told the guy a bit more about the subject he qualified that with

"On Public roads you're dead, on a race track, assuming you don't hit
anything, after a lot of sliding you may be OK.
The consequence of a rider hitting something at any speed usually
results in death."

Written By: goodsin on 10/11/04 at 11:54 am

Q: So what would be the last thing to go through a motorcyclists' head when he impacts at 200mph?
A: His a**hole!

Not particularily funny really, as 2 of my close friends have been killed/ paralysed in serious motorcycle accidents. No offence meant to anyone who's suffered similarly...

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/11/04 at 1:34 pm

well even though it's a dumb thing to do, and i personally think the guy shouldn't be allowed his license, like ever.. it impressed the hell out of me, the bike was supposed to be able to go that fast like ever, and yet he managed it.. and the fact that at those speeds u wobble at all you will almost certianley lose control he must be a hell of a rider.. but yeah, jerkwad

Check for new replies or respond here...