inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst medication you have ever taken or been prescribed...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/29/04 at 6:24 pm

What's the worst,most vile-tasting,or horrible side effects medication you have ever had to ingest?

Mine are:
Methylprednisolone Dose Pak-yep,STEROIDS. I have allergies along with my COPD,and I'm now on steroids...again. The worst side effects are sleeplessness and the munchies 24/7. Why would someone in their right mind choose to ABUSE steroids I will NEVER fathom!

Diabetic tussin cough syrup....yecccch!

Clozaril.....caused me to have really VIVID dreams and NIGHTMARES...also weekly blood tests.

Risperdal. made me sleep 18 hours at a time.

Subject: Re: Worst medication you have ever taken or been prescribed...

Written By: Dagwood on 09/29/04 at 6:40 pm

Tylenol 3 with Codeine.  I didn't mind until I took one and had a severe reaction.  I think I am allergic to codeine.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 6:58 pm

That's easy. Bactrin. I used that for a week and got the nastiest allergic reaction. I don't think I need to gross you out with the details. :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/04 at 7:00 pm

Ah, meds, a subject near and dear to my heart!

What's the worst,most vile-tasting,or horrible side effects medication you have ever had to ingest?

I used to get high off of over-the-counter Robitussin when I was a kid.  Kinda pathetic, but it worked in a pinch!

Clozaril.....caused me to have really VIVID dreams and NIGHTMARES...also weekly blood tests.
Yeah, I've heard that entire classification of drugs is pretty tough on your system.  Speaking of nightmares, I take Effexor (anti-depressant) at bedtime.  If I forget, I get a reminder in really strange, vivid dreams and sometimes terrifying nightmares.  When I first started taking antidpressants, I took an old tricyclic called Immipramine.  If I forgot to take it I'd end up in the space between asleep and awake in which I'd my mind would be awake, but my motor functions would be asleep.  It was terrible feeling of paralysis for up to a minute, then I'd snap out of it!

I've heard oodles of nasty things about Risperdal.

My worst:

Liquid penicillin:  When I was really little I had some terrible internal infection and I had to take some kind of liquid penicillin mixture.  I remember my mother spooning it to me like three times a day, and it tasted absolutely dreadful! It was the worst thing I'd ever tasted in my three years!

Prozac: made me hopelessly nauseaus.  Switched to Zoloft, which was much more agreeable.

Remeron: (anti-depressant) Put me in a state of acute dysphoria.  I never felt like such cr*p in my life.  I remember standing in the supermarket feeling like I couldn't bear to take another step, I don't know how I made it out of there, but I said no more Remeron EVER!

Trazodone (anti-depressant) Another supplament to Zoloft.  My doctor said it would help me fall asleep more easily.  It did.  But then I'd wake up an hour later with my head swimming and my nose totally clogged up!  Yeccch!

Thorazine: This drug is generally known as an anti-psychotic (chlorpromazine), but what people generally don't realize is that hospitals use it at low doses as a general sedative.  I was in the hospital and anxious about being able to fall asleep.  The nurse gave me just a slight dose of Thorazine.  It knocked me out for 12 hours solid.  The next morning I was breaking it in sweats and feeling dazed.  I wound up sleeping most of the day too!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 7:03 pm

When my baby was a baby I had to give him albuterol for an asthma attack.  The bottle said to
give it to him until the bottle was finished, after 16 hours I took him to the emergency room because
his heart was racing.  They had made a mistake on the dosage.  That was one of the scariest days of
my life. :(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/29/04 at 7:06 pm

That's easy. Bactrin. I used that for a week and got the nastiest allergic reaction. I don't think I need to gross you out with the details. :-[
the antibiotic Cipro...I felt like my face was on fire. I was given a sulfa antibiotic once,I found out the hard way I was allergic to sulfa...I got nauseated and had nighttime fevers,I'd wake up the next day fever-free and the whole mess would start again come the afternoon....I broke out in a rash...another doc took me off the drug and gave me Benadryl for the reaction.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 7:09 pm

That's how I found out I was allergic to sulfa-based medicines. Fortunately, that's only if you swallow prescription pills. Apparently ointments like the one I'm currently using for my toe infection don't cause any allergy symptoms.

the antibiotic Cipro...I felt like my face was on fire. I was given a sulfa antibiotic once,I found out the hard way I was allergic to sulfa...I got nauseated and had nighttime fevers,I'd wake up the next day fever-free and the whole mess would start again come the afternoon....I broke out in a rash...another doc took me off the drug and gave me Benadryl for the reaction.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/04 at 7:38 pm

I never had a hypersensitive reaction to penicillin before, but 10 days ago I started taking it for an abscessed tooth.  I broke out with a nasty rash on my arm.  I thought it was one of my usual bouts with late-season poison ivy, but this rash was different from PI.  I realized it must be the penicillin, but by that time I had taken the entire course.  The rash is fading slowly.  I had a massive root canal and I have to go back soon for a crown.  Where it hurts most is the bank account!
:\'(

Danoota wrote:When my baby was a baby I had to give him albuterol for an asthma attack.  The bottle said to
give it to him until the bottle was finished, after 16 hours I took him to the emergency room because
his heart was racing.  They had made a mistake on the dosage.  That was one of the scariest days of
my life.

I'm not a parent myself, but I know how scary it can be when your child is acutely ill, and it's out of your control.  My niece had a severe asthma attack last year and had to go to the emergency room.  The tests came back with possible cardiomegaly.  My sister sat there all night feeling terrified.  It turned out her heart was fine, and she just needed to have her respiratory system cleared.  They got rid of the cat, the old rugs, and the old furniture, and my niece has been fine since.  She still has asthma, but so many more children have asthma than when I was growing up.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/29/04 at 7:45 pm

I was given pain killers after getting my wisdom teeth out, cant remember what kind though. Anyway after taking them for 3 days, the 4th day I was sick, throwing up everywhere. Then I went back to sleep and slept nearly 24 hours straight. No downers again. EVER.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/04 at 8:00 pm

Prozac
Anaframil

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/29/04 at 11:24 pm

Prozac
Anaframil

Howard
Cogentin..which was often given with the older psychoactive drugs like Thorazine and Mellaril,to control side effects...Cogentin is a nasty drug in that it causes vision changes in some people...when I was on the stuff,I'd be reading a book or be on a computer,and the text would shrink and warp...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 3:57 am

Mine are:
Methylprednisolone Dose Pak-yep,STEROIDS. I have allergies along with my COPD,and I'm now on steroids...again. The worst side effects are sleeplessness and the munchies 24/7. Why would someone in their right mind choose to ABUSE steroids I will NEVER fathom!

I wonder if Barry Bonds sleeps at night LMBO!..The oral steroids I take during COPD and allergy flareups keep me awake 24 hours,coz the first dose,usually six pills,I have to take all at once..and the d*** stuff makes me HUNGRY all the time...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 7:53 pm

I never had a hypersensitive reaction to penicillin before, but 10 days ago I started taking it for an abscessed tooth.  I broke out with a nasty rash on my arm.  I thought it was one of my usual bouts with late-season poison ivy, but this rash was different from PI.  I realized it must be the penicillin, but by that time I had taken the entire course.  The rash is fading slowly.  I had a massive root canal and I have to go back soon for a crown.  Where it hurts most is the bank account!

Danoota wrote:
I'm not a parent myself, but I know how scary it can be when your child is acutely ill, and it's out of your control. My niece had a severe asthma attack last year and had to go to the emergency room. The tests came back with possible cardiomegaly. My sister sat there all night feeling terrified. It turned out her heart was fine, and she just needed to have her respiratory system cleared. They got rid of the cat, the old rugs, and the old furniture, and my niece has been fine since. She still has asthma, but so many more children have asthma than when I was growing up.

I'm surprised my cat Tika does not trigger my allergic misery-pollen,ragweed,and pollution are my triggers.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 8:00 pm

I had to have Zithromax-a major antibiotic-thru an IV last year....it felt like my veins were burning...I found out Zithromax was somewhat caustic,and that they could slow the IV's drip rate down,and that I could recieve Percocet to stop the burning....having the Zithromax was worth it,along with Rocephin I was rid of the nasty pneumonia and out of the hospital in just over a week.

Written By: Bobby on 10/01/04 at 5:37 am

Milk of Magnesia (if it can be classed as medication). That stuff tastes disgusting!

I have taken anti-depressants before that didn't do anything for me (Citalopram). I don't think I have taken anything that really has upset me though (thankfully).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/01/04 at 8:31 am

I had Pethedine once, as an injection precribed by a Doctor.  I never felt so sick in my life.  I was lying on my side and I remember trying to look at a light out the window, but the light kept going "up" because my eyes kept sinking towards the pillow !  :-\\

Against my will  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/01/04 at 10:26 am

The first time I had gas and air (o.k. not strictly a medicine) I felt soo ill.  It was like being very drunk but without the fun bit first.

I was allergic to penicillin based medicines, it brought out a rash on my arms.  I seem to have grown out of it though.  Both my children have had rashes after having the same sort of medicine.

The worst tasting medicine I ever had was supposed to be orange flavoured.  It just tasted plasticky.  I had to stir three spoons into a glass of water.  I could never decide if to had lots of water to dilute the taste or not much so there wasn't loads to drink.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 1:26 pm

There were a few. The first one was techroclyline (however it is spelled-anti-biotics). Made me sicker than a dog and I went to the doctor and he thought that I was sick because I was pregnant-had nothing to do with the meds I was on.  ::) Never went back to that stupid doctor again.

Birth Control pills. I know that sounds strange but I have such complecations on them. I was lso nausiated and they kept lowering the estragin level and I was still nausiated and had complacations because of the low doses of estragin. I was just one of those women who couldn't take it. (But my sister swears by them)

Valium-Knocked me out for two days. My poor cat, I rolled over on top of her because I was completely out of it. My ex had to pull her out from under me. I heard her screaming but she seemed so far away. She never slept next to me again after that.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 4:58 pm

Also didn't like the Lithobed or Prozac they gave me.  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 6:20 pm

Ohhh, thanks for reminding me...tetracycline makes me sicker than a dog as well.

And did you have a doc trying to convience you that you were pregnant? I think some docs don't think that a woman can be sick except if she is pregnant. He did end up doing a pregnacy test and what a surprise-it was negitive.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/01/04 at 8:04 pm

Also didn't like the Lithobed or Prozac they gave me.  >:(

What did you take the Prozac for,IG? ???

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/01/04 at 11:03 pm

When I had my cleft palate fixed.....finally,Medicaid paid for that stuff when I was eighteen years old!...I was given sodium pentophal for general anesthesia...as I was waking up in the recovery room,I was shaking all over...I remember someone saying'she's having a reaction'...being awake and absolutely TERRIFIED,feeling helpless...then the nurses gave me a shot to stop the shaking and consoled me. That's the ONLY time I ever reacted to anesthesia that way(I also had it for corrective eye muscle surgery without the terrifying reaction).

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/02/04 at 4:14 am

I was allergic to penicillin based medicines, it brought out a rash on my arms.  I seem to have grown out of it though. 

Glad you have grown out of it Karen - I grew into it !  Never had a prob with penicillin most of my life till 1999 when suddenly everytime it was prescribed I ended up sitting on the loo for hours and hours.

Nasty one I had earlier this year was when I went to doctors with a flu or virus - he prescribed me Doryx something.

Within hours of taking it I was sick as a dog - running to the loo, dry retching, unable to keep fluids down.

I rang a nearby chemist and asked what was wrong - when i told them what doctor had prescribed they nearly died - it was for MALARIA and he had prescribed 500mg instead of 50mg. 

needless to say - I havent returned to that doctor !

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 4:28 am

Buccastem- something I am prescribed in cases of severe vomiting (I have a stomach condition). Also used as an anti-psychotic drug, makes you feel dead wierd then knocks you out.

Nightol- this is an over-the-counter medication designed to help you get to sleep. Basically a large dose of a decongestant, as far as I can make out, but if you miss the narrow timeframe in which it does make you drowsy, you can't then get to sleep and are left feeling in a very odd state of mind & dehydrated for several hours.

Prothiadine- an old tricyclic anti-depressant I was prescribed years ago. Hit you like a sledgehammer, when you woke up afterwards you'd have a head like cotton wool & a breath like a werewolf.

Sertraline- an SSRI anti-depressant. Fuzzy land, fuzzy land, until you hit a black spot, then it's down, down, down... and as for the wierd 'marital' behaviour it induces, well... :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/02/04 at 6:25 am

My shrink at one time had me try Geodon for my schizoaffective disorder...it made me have palpitations...I was taken off of it after five days of the stuff. I learned Geodon can actually cause heart problems in some people.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/02/04 at 6:37 am

I took a bus to my local hospital's emergency room coz I had stomach pain from gastroenteritis....they gave me a whopper of an anti-spasmodic drug to stop the pain and dry heaves...then after ONLY an hour and a half of decent rest,they discharged me DESPITE THE FACT I WAS REALLY F***** UP FROM THE SHOT AND HAD TO GET MYSELF HOME..lucky the waiting room security guard knew I was too messed up to catch a bus home at the time,so he let me sleep a few hours there. I have to wonder whether ER staffers are REALLY concerned about a discharged patient who has to drive themselves home and manage to STAY AWAKE AND ALERT after getting that kind of shot...Or someone in my situation who has to rely on good ol' New Jersey Transit buses for the ride home..

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 8:24 am

Tony20Fan- I can't say I've experienced that sort of treatment from hospitals in the UK, but dentists can often release medicated patients early. I had some filling work some years ago & was given about 6 Ligno-or-whatever-caine shots- shortly after leaving the surgery to walk to my workplace, about a mile away, I became faint & sat down- and woke up 2 hours later, covered in blood & dribble... :P

Written By: Howard on 10/02/04 at 9:49 am

Milk of Magnesia (if it can be classed as medication). That stuff tastes disgusting

especially after you've gone to the bathroom. :P

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/04 at 10:38 pm

Valium-Knocked me out for two days. My poor cat, I rolled over on top of her because I was completely out of it. My ex had to pull her out from under me. I heard her screaming but she seemed so far away. She never slept next to me again after that.

Cat

I had Valium once.  It made me very mellow and happy.  Unfortunately, it can't last!

Tony20 wrote
When I had my cleft palate fixed.....finally,Medicaid paid for that stuff when I was eighteen years old!...I was given sodium pentophal for general anesthesia...as I was waking up in the recovery room,I was shaking all over...I remember someone saying'she's having a reaction'...being awake and absolutely TERRIFIED,feeling helpless...then the nurses gave me a shot to stop the shaking and consoled me. That's the ONLY time I ever reacted to anesthesia that way(I also had it for corrective eye muscle surgery without the terrifying reaction).
I had sodium pentathol for general surgery once.  I woke up upchucking majorly.  Bless those nurses, I don't know how they put up with it!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/02/04 at 10:43 pm

Zoloft...made me throw up

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/04 at 10:48 pm

My shrink at one time had me try Geodon for my schizoaffective disorder...it made me have palpitations...I was taken off of it after five days of the stuff. I learned Geodon can actually cause heart problems in some people.

That's a relatively new one, Pfizer's still pushing it pretty hard.  I checked, and it has been seriously contraindicated for anyone with a history of myocardial infarction or heartfailure.  It can also cause arrhythmia and dangerous QT prolongation. 
:o
Oh, but it's safe, it's perfectly safe, say the docs.

RnRfan wrote:
Zoloft...made me throw up
Emesis is a very common side effect when you start taking SSRIs.  The same thing happened to me when I tried to start Prozac.  Zoloft didn't make me nauseous when I first started taking it.  Years later I did the DUMBEST thing you can do, I went off it cold turkey.  Well, that was a fabulous disaster.  I started back on it amid serious withdrawal symptoms of nausea.  The doc prescribed me som Prilosec because I asked, and this dissipated all gastric problems.  If I'd known to ask when I started Prozac, I might have gotten acclimatized to it.  Unfortunately, if you don't known to ask, the doctors often don't tell you.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/04 at 4:22 pm

Am I the only one here who hasn't been on mood altering drugs(well, legal ones)? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 10/03/04 at 5:02 pm

I haven't either, Danoota.

Written By: karen on 10/04/04 at 4:08 am

Am I the only one here who hasn't been on mood altering drugs(well, legal ones)? ???

Not legal ones anyway  :D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/04/04 at 6:09 am

No I can safely say regardless of some seriously hilarious doctors diagnosis's over the years - I have avoided taking any thing in that area.

I take drugs for pain - not for whatever my brain might be thinking this week.

Utterly no disrespect to anyone suffering mental illnesses, depression, adhd, ocd etc etc

I have friends suffering from bipolar, depression, anxiety etc etc and all their doctors do is pump these hideous drugs into them.

One friend who was on major dosages of anti depressants for 15 years - weaned herself off and said to me "I feel like I am actually feeling things for the first time in my life" - she had been emotionless for so long.

Like many of my friends and many other people around the world - she got off the cr*p the doctors pumped into her and took up a fully organic, wheat free, dairy free diet and the change in her is quite astounding.

In 15 years I never ever saw her leave the house.  Her husband had to do everything for her.  Now she leaves the house and even does the grocery shopping - tho it takes planning and preparation for a few days beforehand.  But at least she is finally getting out there.

So while its chemical imbalances in our brains that cause these various illnesses, I personally believe there is a lot to be said for trying other solutions than just a doctors script.  Especially if doctors over there are anything like the ones here who have a whole 3 minutes to diagnose you and send you on your merry way with a script.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/04 at 8:12 am

No I can safely say regardless of some seriously hilarious doctors diagnosis's over the years - I have avoided taking any thing in that area.

Utterly no disrespect to anyone suffering mental illnesses, depression, added, ocd etc etc

I have friends suffering from bipolar, depression, anxiety etc etc and all their doctors do is pump these hideous drugs into them.

One friend who was on major dosages of anti depressants for 15 years - weaned herself off and said to me "I feel like I am actually feeling things for the first time in my life" - she had been emotionless for so long.

Like many of my friends and many other people around the world - she got off the cr*p the doctors pumped into her and took up a fully organic, wheat free, dairy free diet and the change in her is quite astounding.

In 15 years I never ever saw her leave the house.  Her husband had to do everything for her.  Now she leaves the house and even does the grocery shopping - tho it takes planning and preparation for a few days beforehand.  But at least she is finally getting out there.

So while its chemical imbalances in our brains that cause these various illnesses, I personally believe there is a lot to be said for trying other solutions than just a doctors script.  Especially if doctors over there are anything like the ones here who have a whole 3 minutes to diagnose you and send you on your merry way with a script.

I am with you on this.  Some people need the drugs, but some not.  All could be helped greatly
with a dietary/vitaman supplement approach.  I cannot eat processed wheat products. without
becoming completely lethargic.  I stopped wheat products(not easy), added a multivitamin with a supplement for a thyroid condition that the doctor said really "didn't need to be treated yet".  Within a week I felt much more energetic and awake.  Gone were those lost hours on the couch in front of the TV, Back to garden, books. cruising with the radio, and life in general.  Anyone on meds, go see a nutritionist, it helps.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/04 at 10:02 am

Utterly no disrespect to anyone suffering mental illnesses, depression, adhd, ocd etc etc

I do agree with you. I think that some docs are basically legalized "pushers." I think that some of the meds out there work on a % of people but NOT ALL. It starts when kids are in school when kids are being kids. So they put them on Ridlin. So we turn our kids into zombies. Like I said, I'm sure Ridlin helps % of kids-but not ALL. And some kids don't need meds. They are just being kids. Well, once the kids are out of school, then it is time to put them on Prozac. So we have a world full of drug addicts-only they are legal drugs so that is fine and the pharmaceduical companies are basking in the glow.  So are these any better than the snake oil salesmen of yesteryear?

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/04/04 at 11:30 am

One of the lecturers here at work has looked at insomnia and how it is treated here in the UK.  He worked with a health authority that trained some nurses in weaning people of sleeping pills and onto using others forms of managing insomnia.

As part of the initial phase they interviewed people and asked how long they had been taking medication.  Most were taking drugs which are supposed to be short term measures and only prescribed for two weeks or so.  The average anyone had been taking them was 13 years and one or two had been on them for 25+ years! 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/04 at 12:40 pm

The drug companies began marketing Prozac as a personality enhancer.  Big mistake.  These SSRIs are powerful chemicals.  Prescribing them to somebody because she wants to be chipper and outgoing is dangerous. 
It is critical in the first several weeks of an antidepressant regimen for the patient to be forewarned of side effects and carefully monitored.  Many people who get them prescribed by an MD, not a psychiatrist or clinical nurse specialist, don't get the right counseling, or even the right dosage.  This is also dangerous.

Myth 1: Clinical depression can be cured nutritionally.
Myth 2: Herbs are better than antidepressants.

The truth is EVERYBODY feels better when they eat a healthful diet and take vigorous exercise.  These benefits are especially thereapeutic for depressed people.  However, they don't correct the neurochemical deficit at the root of serious clinical depression.

Remedies such as St. John's Wort may do the trick for people encountering the milder and more temporary forms of depression.  For people suffering from chronic and severe forms of depression, herbal remedies again do not provide strong enough or exacting enough neurochemical therapy.  It is dangerous and irresponsible to counsel a seriously depressed person to go herbal in lieu of psychopharmaceutical.

I realize this is not what most people want to hear.  It's not what I wanted to hear either.  I am one of those people who suffers from severe and lifelong chronic depression.  I tried St. Johns Wort and it was like treating a gunshot wound with a band-aid.  I'm no fan of the the major pharmaceutical firms, however, we must separate the chemical from the manufacturer.  Because Chiquita mistreats their workers, we don't conclude that bananas are bad, do we?

In general, your nutritionists, homeopathists, acupuncturists, and naturopaths deal with the more fortunate class of the "worried well."  They are not down in the trenches with the desperately ill who have lost everything to mental illness.

Is the medical establishment arrogant? Yes.  Are there abuses? Yes.  Once again, most of the problems arise from inadequate counseling, staff indifference, and bad healthcare administration.  The wrong chemical for the job can do more harm than good. 

The challenge is to get parity for psychiatric illnesses with other physiological illnesses.  As long as psychiatic illnesses stigmatize the sufferer, the problems with mental healthcare administration will persist.  Overcoming this hurdle is crucial, and the carrot juice-drinking, herb-quaffing pharmaceutical bashers DO NOT help us make the case.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/04 at 12:50 pm

The most difficult part is getting the two to work together. In a perfect world your doctor would work
with your nutritionist(and vice versa), but there seems to be too much mistrust on both sides. 
People with clinical depression would be much better served if this were to happen

Written By: Koop on 10/04/04 at 2:45 pm

Several...I have a lot of drug allergies:

Prednisone- made me nauseous, moody and made me gain weight (even tho I couldn't eat)

Codiene- I was given this when I had my tonsils out, I found out the hard way that I was allergic.

Erythromycin, Penicillin, Seaclor and several other antibiotics- allergic, will break out in hives and be violently ill

Vicodin- another pain med that I was given and found out that I was allergic.

Written By: Koop on 10/04/04 at 2:49 pm

Prozac: made me hopelessly nauseaus.  Switched to Zoloft, which was much more agreeable.

I had that problem the first day, but it went away.  I hated Prozac because it made me feel absolutely dead inside....I felt NOTHING.  I've heard great things about Zoloft, but, my doc wouldn't let me try it for some reason. (I ended up taking Wellbutrin, instead)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/04 at 4:52 pm

I had that problem the first day, but it went away.  I hated Prozac because it made me feel absolutely dead inside....I felt NOTHING.  I've heard great things about Zoloft, but, my doc wouldn't let me try it for some reason. (I ended up taking Wellbutrin, instead)

Everybody's different.  Antidepressants are not like antibiotics.  Reactions are not completely predictable.  That's why you need a specialist and not a general practicioner.
The whole process takes time an patience.
Did you like Wellbutrin?

Written By: Koop on 10/04/04 at 5:04 pm

Everybody's different.  Antidepressants are not like antibiotics.  Reactions are not completely predictable.  That's why you need a specialist and not a general practicioner.
The whole process takes time an patience.
Did you like Wellbutrin?

Wellbutrin didn't really do anything for me.  I did go to a specialist (psychiatrist) and basically tried everything but Zoloft, for the most part.  I'm also hypothyroid, which effects mood, etc. and possibly may not mix well with Zoloft. (just a guess)  I know that it may not have worked well for me, but I'd known several people that have taken it with good results.  (I know, not a good reason, but at the time, I wanted to try it) 

But actually, I've had much better luck with herbal remedies. (5-HTP, St John's Wort, Valerian root and Eleuthero)  I'm currently not taking any regular antidepressants and so far, so good. (with fingers crossed)  :) 

Written By: Howard on 10/04/04 at 6:43 pm

Koop,I took Prozac for my OCD and believe it or not,I don't take medication anymore.My Mother and my medical doctor decided to take me off cause I was feeling much better and it's been 5 years since I stopped taking it.I feel great. :)

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/05/04 at 5:53 am

I do agree with you. I think that some docs are basically legalized "pushers." I think that some of the meds out there work on a % of people but NOT ALL. It starts when kids are in school when kids are being kids. So they put them on Ridlin.

So True Cat - so very true.
In national surveys here Perth doctors have come out as prescribing Ritalin to under 5 year olds 30% more than doctors all over the rest of the entire country.

I see it as sheer laziness in diagnosing.  Ok so yes there are kids out there suffering disorders - but NOT 30% more than every other state.  Its just that every mother who cant control her sheeshty little 5 year old (ever since they banned smacking !!! hmmm is it a coincidence they didnt start diagnosing ADHD till after the smacking ban ?) takes them to a doctor and in under 5 minutes the doctor has diagnosed ADHD and prescribes ritalin.  No tests, no shrinks - just whammo - here is a script full of stuff you wouldnt like to take as an adult - so go ahead and give it to your 5 year old.

I remember last year some time - I was explaining to a woman that her kid was taking speed - and that if he was an adult he would be arrested - but because he is a hyperactive 4 yr old its "ok".  She refused to believe Ritalin was speed.  I dragged her to a doctor and made him fully explain the ingredients of the drug to her.  She was speechless.

We are breeding a nation of junkies basically.  There are already studies in place here regarding mid teens who have been on ritalin since childhood.  They are unable to come off the stuff and are addicted.  One teen in the study is in a methodone program despite the fact that he has NEVER taken an illegal drug - just the stuff his "well thinking doctors and parents" fed him for 10 years.

One of the lecturers here at work has looked at insomnia and how it is treated here in the UK.  He worked with a health authority that trained some nurses in weaning people of sleeping pills and onto using others forms of managing insomnia.

As part of the initial phase they interviewed people and asked how long they had been taking medication.  Most were taking drugs which are supposed to be short term measures and only prescribed for two weeks or so.  The average anyone had been taking them was 13 years and one or two had been on them for 25+ years! 

Karen as a chronic insomnia sufferer for my entire life it freaks me out to think of people taking those medications for such a long time. I take tranquilisors as a desperate measure - maybe for a week every few years.  Mostly I just battle the fatigue as best I can.  But I HATE with a passion - the fact that every time I mention my insomnia to a doctor - they reach for the prescription pad - even tho I start my discussion with "I am not interested in sleeping pills ........".

And people wonder why I prefer to self diagnose and self medicate.  It really sounds like doctors around the world are all the same !!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/04 at 8:30 am

Karen as a chronic insomnia sufferer for my entire life it freaks me out to think of people taking those medications for such a long time. I take tranquilisors as a desperate measure - maybe for a week every few years.  Mostly I just battle the fatigue as best I can.  But I HATE with a passion - the fact that every time I mention my insomnia to a doctor - they reach for the prescription pad - even tho I start my discussion with "I am not interested in sleeping pills ........".
And people wonder why I prefer to self diagnose and self medicate.  It really sounds like doctors around the world are all the same !!

We are very much the same.  I too, have problems with sleep.  I try different things that work for a
while, sometimes I just lazy my way back to my old ways.  I found that less caffeine, less wheat, helps.
I also notice that people who take pills try to get me to take pills.  "Here try this "  when I have managed
quite well, and do prefer not to start.  I also have a son who has autism.  He doesn't have any behavioral
problems at all, but still, a school administrator, who never dealt directly with my son, asked if I had ever
considered Ritalin. When I asked him why he would suggest putting him on it when his doctor, neurologist, and teachers had never suggested it, he said that he had heard that these drugs were helpful to children with learning disabilities.  He saw it as a blanket answer to a complex problem, and he was an administrator who should have been educated about the problem.  I felt like jumping over the
table and raking his face.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/04 at 10:45 am

A friend of mine had a typical boy who was full of energy. When he talked, his arms would start flapping as if he was getting ready for take-off. The school tried to get her to put him on ritalin (Thanks, BMG for giving me the correct spelling). She flattly refused which I gave her tramendous credit for. Now he is 17(?) years old and has mellowed out-which is normal. And it wasn't drugs that did that.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 11:30 am

A friend of mine had a typical boy who was full of energy. When he talked, his arms would start flapping as if he was getting ready for take-off. The school tried to get her to put him on ritalin (Thanks, BMG for giving me the correct spelling). She flattly refused which I gave her tramendous credit for. Now he is 17(?) years old and has mellowed out-which is normal. And it wasn't drugs that did that.

Cat

I agree.  Ritalin is abused by schools and parents because some kids can't conform to certain expectations of behavior.  A lot of it is developmental.  Kids will mellow out.  Meanwhile, the authorities are trying to force an education down the kid's throat.  I don't have the answer.  I wish I knew the way to create an educational milieu "over-active" kids could adapt to better.

Some adults who have focus and concentration problems find Ritalin helps them quite a bit.  It's probably good for certain kids, but it's not a panacea.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/06/04 at 5:58 am

Danoota, Cat and Maxwell - glad we see things so similar.  Sad tho to learn that doctors and schools basically thing the same throughtout the world.

Danoota I have done the no caffiene (I have one cup of tea a day in the morning), no food or drink after 8pm, nothing sugary (chocolate etc) after 7.30pm, warm room, cold room, dark room, light room, lavender pillows, camomile tea, valarian, hypnotism

the works !

Now I just live with it. Badly - but I live with it.  I just make sure my workmates understand I will be VERY short tempered by Thurs and Fri as by then I have had roughly 4 hours sleep the entire week and am looking forward to a big saturday sleep in ! and god forbid ANYONE who disturbs that precious sleep in !

My neighbour started playing his piano at 8.30am one saturday and I sent a text message saying "if you dont stop now you will discover which orifice that thing fits in" !!!!!!!!!!!!  he stopped !

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/06/04 at 7:38 pm

I do agree with you. I think that some docs are basically legalized "pushers." I think that some of the meds out there work on a % of people but NOT ALL. It starts when kids are in school when kids are being kids. So they put them on Ridlin. So we turn our kids into zombies. Like I said, I'm sure Ridlin helps % of kids-but not ALL. And some kids don't need meds. They are just being kids. Well, once the kids are out of school, then it is time to put them on Prozac. So we have a world full of drug addicts-only they are legal drugs so that is fine and the pharmaceduical companies are basking in the glow. So are these any better than the snake oil salesmen of yesteryear?

Cat
I've done the no meds/natural diet thing....then I ended up so delusional,paranoid,and downright suicidal that I ended up trying to kill myself FIVE different times. And at least FIFTEEN hospitalizations from 1985-1999....one as a guest of a NJ State Hospital-ANCORA Psychiatric Hospital(aka the big A,the college,the hell-hole).

I can honestly say....thank God for my shrink,and for modern meds like Seroquel...and Prozac.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/04 at 10:10 am

I've done the no meds/natural diet thing....then I ended up so delusional,paranoid,and downright suicidal that I ended up trying to kill myself FIVE different times. And at least FIFTEEN hospitalizations from 1985-1999....one as a guest of a NJ State Hospital-ANCORA Psychiatric Hospital(aka the big A,the college,the hell-hole).

I can honestly say....thank God for my shrink,and for modern meds like Seroquel...and Prozac.

I am glad that they helped you. I'm not saying that they are totally useless. I'm saying that it only helps a % of people-and you are one. But, docs use it as a catch-all. Docs have to realize that "one size does not fit all". Again, I am very glad that the meds are helping you.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/04 at 3:49 pm

I am glad that they helped you. I'm not saying that they are totally useless. I'm saying that it only helps a % of people-and you are one. But, docs use it as a catch-all. Docs have to realize that "one size does not fit all". Again, I am very glad that the meds are helping you.

Cat

Nothing should be used as a catch-all, I agree.  However, Tony20 confirms my point.  You cannot  "good diet" your way out of sever depression or schizophrenia.  I can only shrug and sigh when people suggest I've gone the wrong way with antidepressants instead of tofu.  Like Tony20, without psychotrophic pharmaceuticals, I would have died more than a decade ago.  And that's NO JOKE!
That said, science has a long way to ge in treating psychiatric illnesses, especially schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorders.  The majority of people afflicted with these illnesses STILL suffer from terrible symptoms, even with the best therapies, and the side effects of many of the medications feel worse than the symptoms.
Remember, when you see a person with psychiatric illness, bear in mind it is NOT their fault.  Nobody asks to get these ilnesses, and in most cases there's nothing the sufferer did or did not do that could have prevented it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/13/04 at 6:44 pm

I was given Versed as a sedative for a colonoscopy,and during the same hospitalization,an upper endoscopy. The first-ever colonoscopy I had I was not sedated and it was extremely uncomfortable, and I definitely can't picture some doc sticking that big black endoscopy tube-camera down my throat without being knocked out. But Versed did make me absolutely giddy coming out of it!

Written By: Michelle on 10/14/04 at 3:00 pm

Prozac was fine side-effects wise, but it didn't work, so as a replacement I was prescribed this other medication that I think worked but also made me see blue fireflies, puppets, and other such amusing hallucinations for HOURS.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 5:40 pm

Prozac was fine side-effects wise, but it didn't work, so as a replacement I was prescribed this other medication that I think worked but also made me see blue fireflies, puppets, and other such amusing hallucinations for HOURS.

I used to take Prozac.It was for my OCD.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 5:40 pm

Has anyone ever taken Vioxx before? ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 5:43 pm

Nope!

But, I remember taken this glycerine drink which was like a weird Orange soda type solution that almost every pregnant woman has/had to take to check for diabetes. I chucked it the first time. I had to return the next day to take it and I did. But, it was somewhat gross and very cold.

But, I've taken so many things it's hard to distinguish what was okay and what was gross.

Tanya

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/14/04 at 7:34 pm

Nope!

But, I remember taken this glycerine drink which was like a weird Orange soda type solution that almost every pregnant woman has/had to take to check for diabetes. I chucked it the first time. I had to return the next day to take it and I did. But, it was somewhat gross and very cold.

But, I've taken so many things it's hard to distinguish what was okay and what was gross.

Tanya
You're talking about an awful concoction called GluCola,which is used for glucose tolerance testing for the onset of diabetes.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/15/04 at 7:21 am

Nope!

Tanya

That stuff was nasty...bleah.

Cheer, you are doing the right thing.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Good luck and keep us informed.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/16/06 at 1:18 am

Allergy medication at a "everything for a dollar" store. 2 hours alergy relief, 30 hours drozyness. They should've sold it as traquilizer.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 3:01 pm

I think taking a certain amoxicillin made me feel like I was choking. I guess it was an allergic reaction. I still get that feeling from time to time. I eventually stopped taking that medicine and went on a tetracycline.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/06 at 8:18 pm

I twice tried out St John's Wort which is supposed to calm you down.

With me it was exactly the opposite.  For 4-5 hours after taking it I was agitated, really PISSED OFF.  So I flushed it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/16/06 at 8:29 pm

Nope!

Tanya
That's GluCola. Very yecchy!

how they found my Type 2 diabetes is with the fingerstick test. The meter read something like 468. Everything about my diet had to change pronto. And I was put on an oral antidiabetic. Now I take two insulin shots a day.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/16/06 at 8:38 pm

Questran Powder, a cholesterol-lowering drug....I had to mix it with either orange juice or applesauce. Truly terrible tasting!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/16/06 at 8:39 pm

Amoxicillan pills.  When I was younger and got ear infections, I took the "cherry pie medicine", or so I called it because it was this pink liquid that tasted like cherry pie.  When I was too old for and had to take it in pill form, they were these huge horse pills and I was scared I'd choke trying to swallowing it.

Written By: Abix on 04/16/06 at 8:55 pm

Mine are:

the steroids that are abused are usually anabolic steroids. Methylprednisone is a corticosteroid (produced by the endocrine glands, such as the adrenal glands.) When you hear about steroid abuse, they are usually referring to things like Testosterone and other sex hormones that produce the muscle bulk and stamina..  Corticosteroids are used for other conditions such as inflammatory, respiratory, and other conditions.  Long term use of corticosteroids can produce a condition called "Cushing's Syndrome, which is characterized by a moon face, a  fat pad on the back of the neck, an enlarged abdomen with stretchmarks appearing, and weight gain."  But you are right, they do taste awful.

Written By: KKay on 04/17/06 at 11:44 am

Wow...i was prescribed neurontin (sp?) because i had shingles and its used to prevent the pain of neuralgia- shingles is an infeciton of your nerve endings..a very very disgusting thing.

but this medicine is generally prescribed to prevent epileptics from having seizures.
nerves/nerves...go figure.

so while i am tearing my hair out and reserching neuroses and  psychiatric illness, ihear on the radio that this drug makes people depressed and suicidal and stop taking it now.  thanks for the warning, doc!
and i had been a mental case.  i had been reading about all these disorders and wondering how to tell my family i think  i should be hospitalized (yeah, yeah, insert joke here) and all the while it was the drug.

vewy scawy.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 1:20 pm

the steroids that are abused are usually anabolic steroids. Methylprednisone is a corticosteroid (produced by the endocrine glands, such as the adrenal glands.) When you hear about steroid abuse, they are usually referring to things like Testosterone and other sex hormones that produce the muscle bulk and stamina..  Corticosteroids are used for other conditions such as inflammatory, respiratory, and other conditions.  Long term use of corticosteroids can produce a condition called "Cushing's Syndrome, which is characterized by a moon face, a  fat pad on the back of the neck, an enlarged abdomen with stretchmarks appearing, and weight gain."  But you are right, they do taste awful.

My mother had to take take predisone when she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about 4 years ago. She did eventually get that moon face effect. She has weened herself off of it now, but it was hard to see her change like that, especially after she had been fairly successful losing some weight right before that time.

Written By: nikki89 on 04/17/06 at 6:22 pm

Pennicillan(sp?) was the worst, seeing how my legs swelled and I couldn't walk and I could have died! That was 10 years ago and it's obvious that I haven't taken any since. I hope I won't ever be in the position that I'd need it, dumb allergy.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/17/06 at 9:09 pm

Wow...i was prescribed neurontin (sp?) because i had shingles and its used to prevent the pain of neuralgia- shingles is an infeciton of your nerve endings..a very very disgusting thing.

but this medicine is generally prescribed to prevent epileptics from having seizures.
nerves/nerves...go figure.

so while i am tearing my hair out and reserching neuroses and  psychiatric illness, ihear on the radio that this drug makes people depressed and suicidal and stop taking it now.  thanks for the warning, doc!
and i had been a mental case.  i had been reading about all these disorders and wondering how to tell my family i think  i should be hospitalized (yeah, yeah, insert joke here) and all the while it was the drug.

vewy scawy.
Neurontin is also used in the treatment of bipolar disorder.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/17/06 at 9:13 pm

The cortisone shots I have to have sometimes in my bad knees. The shots work but the knee is one h*ll of sore due to the huge injection for about 24 hours...then blessed relief and no stiffness.

Doc and I are talking about using Synvisc next time.

Written By: spaceace on 05/05/07 at 6:27 pm

Resperidol - I couldn't move, I felt like I had lock jaw.

Prozac - I tried to set myself on fire.

Sulfa - hives like you wouldn't believe

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/07 at 6:41 pm

I injured my back and was Darvocet, Feldene and Soma at the same time. I suffered some brain damage because of it.... loss of vocabualary and stuff.... still working my way back to normal. The message boarding helps but sometimes I just sit here and stare into space trying to remember the word for what I'm trying to say.... it sucks. Plus it killed the trigger in my brain that tells me I am full so I gained like 100 pounds cuz I never get full.

Okay hiere is wha t hteis woul d look like if I didn't check  it a nad filwer wahat I sayut I can badrely type a long message and bame it legible of course itys funny thayt I can type but big waourds beteer but thats cux I thinkg about them more thea nt the littele ones
(Okay here is what this would look like if I didn't check it and filter what I say. I can barely type a long message and make it legible. Of course its funny that I can type big words betterh but that's becasue I think about them more than the little one.)

Geldeins and darboucet at your servdiis  (Feldene and Darvocet at your service)

Written By: wildcard on 05/06/07 at 12:36 am

As far as medication goes I been perscribed lots and I don't remember them.  As far as brain damage I have had a tumor.  I keep what I say short otherwise I'm trying to think of what to say and to choose the right words and stuff.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/07 at 1:05 am

I can't even remember exactly how long ago, could be 8-10 years ago I think, I was prescribed Paxil & the side effects were wicked. I ended up only taking it for about 2 weeks & then had to get off of it. I had the weirdest dreams, I mean I had dreams of weird alien like creatures, and one dream was in frikken Black and White  :o  no color, what's up with that? and there was another more serious side effect that the Dr. mentioned potential libido changes. Holy crap!!        and for a injured back I was prescribed Vioxx & for tennis elbow Celebrex  and both had side effects that concerned me, mainly what i thought were respiratory changes and muscle tremors. weird sh*t. I got off of those also.  thank goodness I'm all healed and good to go now.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/07 at 4:59 am

I can't even remember exactly how long ago, could be 8-10 years ago I think, I was prescribed Paxil & the side effects were wicked. I ended up only taking it for about 2 weeks & then had to get off of it. I had the weirdest dreams, I mean I had dreams of weird alien like creatures, and one dream was in frikken Black and White  :o  no color, what's up with that? and there was another more serious side effect that the Dr. mentioned potential libido changes. Holy crap!!        and for a injured back I was prescribed Vioxx & for tennis elbow Celebrex  and both had side effects that concerned me, mainly what i thought were respiratory changes and muscle tremors. weird sh*t. I got off of those also.  thank goodness I'm all healed and good to go now.  8)

Designer pain relievers like Vioxx and Celebrex are severely overprescribed.  The fact is that the vast majority of the population can use good old fashioned aspirin for pain relief.

Somewhere in the late 1970's, the pharm industry created the "aspirin boogie man" and started hawking all sorts of "aspirin substitutes", which are uneccessary for all but a small minority of the population.

All of this simply to make a buck. >:(

Written By: KKay on 05/06/07 at 9:04 am

did i tell the story of how I had to take neurontin for shingles...it's an infection of your nerve endings.
well it made me massively depressed and i was obsessed with my depression. it was all i researched.  I ignored everything and stayed up
at night reading about all kinds of disorders.  it was awful.  then i heard about the recall on the radio. good thing I did.
I stopped taking it and i was well in a few days.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/07 at 11:21 am

Not every medication is going to agree with every patient.  That's why it's necessary to tell your doctor about any and all allergies you have and any negative reactions---even mild ones--you've had to medications in the past.

Years ago I took Neurontin to augment Effexor.  It wasn't very effective for that purpose.  However, I had no adverse reactions.  It's one of the most prescribed medications.  People can get everything from hives to psychosis on Neurontin, but that's just a miniscule percentage of the millions who take it every year. 

Neurontin is an anti-convulant.  My NP was prescribing it for one of those off-label uses--to augment an antidepressant.  I believe this practice has since stopped because these off label uses are where many of the terrible reactions to gabapentin occur. 

Neurontin is under investigation, but it hasn't been "recalled" as in "taken off the market," like Vioxx was.

Yes the Big Pharm is unscrupulous about making a buck and I've got some serious issues with industry.  However, I have bigger issues with our healthcare system in which some plans refuse to pay for certain meds a doctor recommends, or will not pay for a referral to the right specialist. 

One of the biggest problems with antidepressants is they don't provide instant relief.  It's not like taking opiates for pain.  In the first several weeks of acclimatizing to an antidepressant the treatment might sometimes feel worse than the illness.  These are powerful chemicals and patients must be monitored closesly by a psychiatric specialist.
This applies especially to young people and antidepressants for they are much more at risk of suicidality than older people.

If we allow a GP to just hand the patient a scrip for Paxil and say check in with me in four to six weeks, we are taking a serious risk.

BTW, I take ibuprofen for pain.  I find it works far better than regular aspirin.

Pain medicine has come a long way since the 1970s, but not without accompanying risks and costs.  People read about opiate addiction and immediately trash pharmaceuticals, heck, they trash all of "Western medicine."  Well, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  On the one hand, if you take oxycodone for excruciating pain, your body will get addicted to it.  On the other, you might be able to run your life, keep your job, and take care of your family rather than ending up incapacitated and bedridden.  Meditation, Yoga, acupuncture, and herbs are great if they work, but for serious illnesses, they quite often don't.  If you're going to tell me, "Well, you have to believe acupuncture will work in order for it to work," then you're back to little more than faith healing.  See, the New Age health gurus get to preach about how things should be.  Medical practitioners must deal with the way things really are.

Check for new replies or respond here...