inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: THE ONLY POLL THAT WILL EVER MATTER. ANSWER RIGHT AWAY!

Written By: Apricot on 09/30/04 at 8:50 pm

I like kitties cause they're tiny and fluffy, but dogs are generally bigger and usually less aloof. Whaddya think?

Subject: Re: THE ONLY POLL THAT WILL EVER MATTER. ANSWER RIGHT AWAY!

Written By: Dagwood on 09/30/04 at 9:05 pm

Kitties, because it is easier to change a litterbox than to do poop patrol in the yard.  Plus I don't have to let my cat outside (too many wild cats and skunks...don't think he would make it back alive).

Plus, I love my kitty.

Written By: SI-MAE on 09/30/04 at 9:06 pm

I like kitties. :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/30/04 at 9:26 pm

I prefer dogs...but, I must admit I enjoy kitties canine-style.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 09/30/04 at 9:37 pm

I like cats for many reasons.

Cats are more independent.  They will come to you when they want attention, and do not demand it all the time.

Cats can be left in the house all day, and will not tear things up and mess all over the floor.

Cats will not constantly whine when they want something.

Cats rub your leg when they want affection, not because they are horny.

Cat owners do not have to put up signs warning "Beware Of Cat".

Cats have better things to do than stick their nose in your crotch (or bottom).

Cats have been trained to "go in the toilet".

Cats use a litter box. Dogs use your couch.

Cats are "superfecund". (That means that each kitten in the same litter can have a different father).

Hitler hated Cats, he adored dogs.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 10:05 pm

Cats, but my sister likes dogs. Must be a Hitler complex. ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 7:57 am

Dogs, sorry cats are just to stupid.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/01/04 at 8:00 am

dogs. i'm allergic to cats.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/01/04 at 8:26 am

Cats

"Nice dog.  Now keep it QUIET and away from me.  If you insist on owning it, keep it company so it doesn't end up annoying the crap out of everyone who lives near it."

"I have my own saliva, I do not require your animal to add it's saliva to me"

"My backside is for sitting on, it is not a bike rack for your dog's nose"

"Similarly, my crotch"  (Not the sitting on part, though!)

You get the idea  ;)

Cats

Written By: jaytee on 10/01/04 at 8:44 am

I voted dogs because we have a dog that is absolutely gorgeous.  I do, however, like cats.  Whoever said that cats are stupid (I think it was GWB) has obviously never owned a cat because they are FAR from stupid!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 9:16 am

Cats really aren't that stupid. They're just not loyal to humans like dogs are. When was the last time a cat could pull someone from a burning fire? Other than that, a cat can be real helpful.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 9:53 am

Guess.  :D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/04 at 12:29 pm

Cats

Tanya

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 1:04 pm

Cat owners do not have to put up signs warning "Beware Of Cat".

That is the whole reason a lot of people own dogs.  A lot of people you don't like will back off if they know you have a german ''Schultz Hund'' (Protection dog) in your house.

Last time I checked dogs are a lot more help to humans (especially police) then cats.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 1:18 pm

I voted dogs because we have a dog that is absolutely gorgeous.  I do, however, like cats.  Whoever said that cats are stupid (I think it was GWB) has obviously never owned a cat because they are FAR from stupid!!

No, no, no. You got that wrong. Nobody ever OWNS a cat. They ALLOW you to live with them. As they say, dogs have masters and cats have staff. But you are right that they are not stupid.  Can't call them stupid when they have people waiting on them hand and foot (or is that paw?  ;))

Even though that it is pretty obvious that I do perfer cats over dogs, that is not to say that I don't like dogs. Had a couple when I was kid (along with a bunch of cats). I do like dogs but I like cats better.

CATS RULE AND DOGS DROOL!  :D ;D

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 1:26 pm

No, no, no. You got that wrong. Nobody ever OWNS a cat. They ALLOW you to live with them. As they say, dogs have masters and cats have staff. But you are right that they are not stupid.  Can't call them stupid when they have people waiting on them hand and foot (or is that paw?  ;))

I've heard this argument before.  Cats have a mind of their own, they are so smart.  When they look at you with that stupid look after you throw a ball and tell them to ''fetch,'' they are doing it because they know not to take orders from you.  Right?  You could use the same argument for a goldfish.

Written By: Kenlos on 10/01/04 at 1:30 pm

I voted Dogs, I am a dog lover.  I have a 12 year old Wire-Haired Fox Terrier now.

Written By: jreuben on 10/01/04 at 1:32 pm

I'm allergic to cats so I only have two of them.  A dog as well. 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/04 at 1:49 pm

I'm allergic to cats so I only have two of them.  A dog as well. 

I am allergic as well.  How do you manage to live with them?

Written By: Jessica on 10/01/04 at 2:21 pm

While I prefer dogs (my dog is looking at me as I type this ;D), I do like cats. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to them.

And they aren't stupid like someone said. They are aloof. If you get to know them though, they will warm up to you and act silly. :)

Written By: Fred on 10/01/04 at 2:45 pm

Uh-oh, what if you like both?  :o

Written By: Mushroom on 10/01/04 at 3:37 pm

heard this argument before.  Cats have a mind of their own, they are so smart.  When they look at you with that stupid look after you throw a ball and tell them to ''fetch,'' they are doing it because they know not to take orders from you.  Right?  You could use the same argument for a goldfish.

I have had cats who would fetch before.

In fact, Loki (a 2 year old male tabby) loved to play fetch.  But we used the tear-off plastic from the top of a 1 gallon milk jug.  My fiancee` and I would take turns tossing it, and he would bring it back.

After a while, he decided on his own that we should take turns throwing it for him.  I would throw it, he would bring it to my fiancee`.  After she threw it, he would bring it back to me.  A few times we decided to mess him up, and I would take it from him instead of my fiancee` (or she would do this).  His response would be to bring it to the other person TWICE before returning to his "one then the other" play mode.

One big reasons that cats and dogs are so different is their natural behavior.  Cats (with a few exceptions) are solitary creatures.  The wild cats are the same way.  You rarely see them in nature in groups larger then 2 or 3.  Dogs on the other hand are pack creatures.  Large extended family groups are the norm for them.

There is no "Alpha Cat".  To a cat, you are simply another creature (s)he must get along with in order to eat.  For a dog, the human takes the place of the pack leader.  As such, they will normally do whatever is in their power to please you.  This is not a matter of intelligence, as much as how their brains are wired.

This is why cats have been tamed, but have not been truely domesticated.  Drop a cat into the wild, and he will become feral in only 1 generation.  A dog on the other hand very easily switches from wild to domestic.  Wolves are well known as domestic dogs in some areas of the world.  Try that with a cougar or lion (ask Roy Horn about that one!)

Written By: gemini61 on 10/01/04 at 4:21 pm

I'm allergic to cats. I can tell if someone owns a cat as soon as I walk in their house. My eyes start itching and I start sneezing like crazy. Even if I don't touch the cat!  So, I'll have to say I'm a dog person! Plus, my dog would get mad if I didn't!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 6:25 pm

There is no "Alpha Cat".  To a cat, you are simply another creature (s)he must get along with in order to eat.  For a dog, the human takes the place of the pack leader.  As such, they will normally do whatever is in their power to please you.  This is not a matter of intelligence, as much as how their brains are wired.

Yeah, there is an "Alpha Cat". They develop a "pecking order". If you ever bring a new cat into a home with other cats, there is a period where they will fight (LITERALY) for dominance. I have experance that way too many times. Once that pecking order has been established, then things calm down.

Cat

Written By: mandamoo on 10/02/04 at 1:40 am

Uh-oh, what if you like both? :o

Yeah....I couldn't vote either, Fred  :-\\

We always had two dogs and two cats (along with a variety of other creatures) as pets, growing up. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/02/04 at 2:10 am

Again, which one (dogs or cats) is more useful to humans?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/04 at 2:30 am

I'm not a pet owner, but my housemate has a couple of cats I adore.

I like both dogs and cats for different reasons.  I wouldn't rank one above the other because they're such different beasts. 

Mushroom wrote:

Cats are more independent.  They will come to you when they want attention, and do not demand it all the time.

I dunno, I've known a few cats to be very demanding if they get attached.  One cat we had used to sit outside my bedroom door and howl until I let her in to sleep on my bed.

Cats can be left in the house all day, and will not tear things up and mess all over the floor. True in general, though I've known cats to knock stuff over by accident.  I've had papers spread out on my desk.  The cat would jump from the dresser to the desk and slide the papers all out of order, things like that.  However, they're undeniably less noisy, smelly, and rowdy than dogs.  You can get dogs that aren't any of those things, but a dog that isn't noisy, smelly, and rowdy isn't a REAL dog, IMHO!
;)

Cats will not constantly whine when they want something.
Same cat, as above, made her demands known with persistent caterwauling.

Cats rub your leg when they want affection, not because they are horny.
If you are a responsible pet owner, your cat shouldn't have to deal with such urges.  An un-spayed queen in heat can make an awful racket at night!

Cats have been trained to "go in the toilet".
I've only seen that in Meet the Parents.

Cats use a litter box. Dogs use your couch.
Emptying litter boxes is a household chore I steadfastly refuse to do.  Fortunately, my housemate doesn't expect it because they are her cats!  Anyway, we're lucky enough to live where the cats can romp around outdoors quite a bit.  This cuts down on litter box usage.
If your dog is making a mess of the couch, he's either badly trained, or too old for his own good.

Cats are "superfecund". (That means that each kitten in the same litter can have a different father).
Hmmm...sounds like material for a feline Maury Pauvich show! That would be a good cartoon short, Meowy Pauvich, or something.

Yes, both Hitler and Napoleon Bonaparte were cat phobic.  Next time you're listening to a nice Brahms symphony, remember he hated cats, too.  I once read Brahms used to sit out on his porch with a little bow-and-arrow set and take aim at passing cats.

GWBush wrote:

Ummm...OK, then.
;)

GWBush wrote

Again, which one (dogs or cats) is more useful to humans?

For thousands of years of agrarian culture, cats were essential for pest control.  Technology has made the cat obsolete on modern farms and in graneries.  Cats were used for rat patrol as far back as ancient Egypt.  Snakes were very useful, too, but only in warmer climates.  Furthermore, snakes were not domesticable, and the cuddle factor isn't there with snakes unless you're Alice Cooper.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/04 at 6:21 am

I have had cats who would fetch before.
In fact, Loki (a 2 year old male tabby) loved to play fetch.

I cannot believe it. I have only had one cat in my life, I saved it's life before his owner was
ready to have him gassed, and I named him Loki.  I was the only one who liked the name.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/02/04 at 10:36 am

I cannot believe it. I have only had one cat in my life, I saved it's life before his owner was ready to have him gassed, and I named him Loki.  I was the only one who liked the name.

My fiancee` and I got 2 cats and a dog within 6 months.

When we got Loki, he was such a devil that the name just seemed to fit him perfectly.  And he lived up to it, believe me!

When he was about 2, we got a female kitten who we named Bast.  And unlike most male cats, he was very protective of Bast.  We brought them together with great trepidation.  After all, everybody knows that fully grown male cats normally do not like kittens.  But imagine our surprise when he ignored her hissing, pinned her to the floor, and gave her a bath!  A most unusual cat.

There was a big tom in the area who terrorized the other cats in the neighborhood.  Once we could hear Bast screaming because he was after her.  Loki was inside, and literally threw himself at the door, trying to get out.  He was not a large cat, but when we opened the door, he took off after that tom.  He would also get one of us if we did not respond to our son's crying fast enough for his taste.

About 6 months later, we got a male german shepard.  And of course, we named him Thor.  Somehow, we just got into the habbit of naming our pets after ancient Gods and Goddesses.  And each of them lived up to their names.

Loki was devilish and would always surprise us with his antics, like when he learned how to open the refrigerator!  We actually had to get a child lock, to keep the cat out!

Bast was a princess, and she knew it!  To her, us humans were lower life forms, only on the world to please her.

Thor was big, clumsy, but had a heart of gold.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/04 at 6:13 am

When we got Loki, he was such a devil that the name just seemed to fit him perfectly.  And he lived up to it, believe me!
Loki was devilish and would always surprise us with his antics, like when he learned how to open the refrigerator!  We actually had to get a child lock, to keep the cat out!

When I got Loki his name was Star, but I didn't like that name for a cat so I changed it to Loki because
I was into Norse mythology at the time and Loki intrigued me.  The cat did live up to its name. I don't know
how the cat was before I got him, but the name Loki fit him much better than Star, he was one of those
cats that never met a dog he didn't attack.  :o

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/03/04 at 9:04 am

Cats

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/04 at 11:58 am

For thousands of years of agrarian culture, cats were essential for pest control.  Technology has made the cat obsolete on modern farms and in graneries.  Cats were used for rat patrol as far back as ancient Egypt.  Snakes were very useful, too, but only in warmer climates.  Furthermore, snakes were not domesticable, and the cuddle factor isn't there with snakes unless you're Alice Cooper.

You also forgot to mention that during the "burning times", people used to think that cats were from the devil so they basically exterminated them. Because of the lack of cats, the rats ran rampid and those rats carried fleas that caused the Bubonic Plegue. If there were cats around, the plegue wouldn't have been as devistation as it was. Cats were also used on ships for the same reason. There was a limit supply of food on a ship and if rats got into them, well, the sailors suffered. So, cats kept the rats out of the food supply. So, yeah, cats have been very useful to mankind.

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/03/04 at 2:19 pm

You also forgot to mention that during the "burning times", people used to think that cats were from the devil so they basically exterminated them. Because of the lack of cats, the rats ran rampid and those rats carried fleas that caused the Bubonic Plegue. If there were cats around, the plegue wouldn't have been as devistation as it was. Cats were also used on ships for the same reason. There was a limit supply of food on a ship and if rats got into them, well, the sailors suffered. So, cats kept the rats out of the food supply. So, yeah, cats have been very useful to mankind.

Cat

Throughout the past both dogs and cats have been useful to mankind.  But as MaxwellSmart says cats are now obsolete, but not dogs.  Even with the technology of today, a dogs' nose is still the best tool we humans have to do a number of things.

Written By: Michelle on 10/03/04 at 2:21 pm

Definitely cats, but I don't hate dogs or anything, I just find they shed a lot more and tend to smell worse  :P

Written By: redhead007 on 10/03/04 at 2:24 pm

Definitely cats. Dogs just scare the living daylights out of me. At least cats don't slobber all over you like dogs do. And require less care than dogs.

Written By: Everlong on 10/03/04 at 8:48 pm

Cats, definitly cats.  I've met a few dogs (heh) that I've liked- I usually like sheepdogs- the quiet, slower kind of dogs that don't act like they're on Red Bull 24/7.  But I definitly like cats better, even though I am allergic.

I have a question though, to cat owners- I've had two kittens.  We gave both back, as they turned out to be INSANE.  They scratched everyone, scratched up the sofa, just extremely hyperactive and hissy violent, you know?  Are all kittens like this?  I like cats, and kittens are adorable, but I haven't really had fun experiences with them O_O.

Written By: Lanie on 10/03/04 at 9:03 pm

I love kitties!!! :)

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/04 at 10:18 pm

Mohammed is said to have hated dogs. I'd hate to be a dog in a middle eastern Muslim country. You'd probably have less rights than your typical woman.  ::)

I like kitties a little more than doggies (a little less maintenance for a cat) but I don't like "weird" cat breeds, just your typical McCat or McKitty.

:)

Written By: Koop on 10/03/04 at 10:23 pm

Cats....mainly because they're lower maintenance and I'm allergic to dogs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/04 at 11:44 pm

Throughout the past both dogs and cats have been useful to mankind.  But as MaxwellSmart says cats are now obsolete, but not dogs.  Even with the technology of today, a dogs' nose is still the best tool we humans have to do a number of things.

Cats still serve a utilitarian household purpose.  There were a couple of years when we had no cats.  We had a considerably worse rodent problem.  I could hear mice scurrying around in the walls, even saw one in my bedroom once, which p*ssed me off!  In the summer the little critters raided the gardens and caused a general nuisance.  Now we have two cats and no rodent problems.  Occasionally the cats drag home something nasty as they are wont to do, but that's a small price to pay!

Mushroom wrote:
Mohammed is said to have hated dogs. I'd hate to be a dog in a middle eastern Muslim country. You'd probably have less rights than your typical woman. 
Some cultures are notoriously cruel to animals, notably the Spaniards and the Turks.  I don't know about Mohammed hating dogs, but I don't think that reflects on the treatment of animals in the Muslim world. 

Check for new replies or respond here...