inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jake Plummer Fined....Right Or Wrong?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 10:55 pm

Jake Plummer wore a dedication to his former Arizona Cardinal AND Arizona State Sun Devil teamate Pat Tillman on his helmet for the first week...but then after the NFL told him he would be fined for wearing it beyond...they fined him for doing just that. Hey, I am a Denver fan but agree that if the NFL doesn't impose rules people will abuse them. What are YOUR thoughts?

Subject: Re: Jake Plummer Fined....Right Or Wrong?

Written By: blackdog on 10/02/04 at 12:35 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he shouldn't be fined for having some sort of dedication on his helmet.  It may be simplistic...  but what's the big deal?  Why are they or anyone upset he has an allegiance or dedication to a friend or "colleague" or want's the public to remember someone who died while defending or fighting for another country... or ours?   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/04 at 2:01 am

I don't know spit about goings-on in football, much less in the NFL, but from what I know, it was a nice gesture for Plummer to wear a dedication to Tillman.  However, the League said no, and fairly warned him.  All they were asking of Plummer was not to wear the dedication on his helmet.  I think it was fair to fine him.
As to whether other players get away with wearing non-regulation things on their persons, I don't know.  If other players do it and get off scot free, Plummer might make a case there.  However, I'd still say the fine was warranted.  If Plummer had a problem, he should have appealed it to the League, and in the meantime done what they said.  Anyway, pro-football players are loaded, so he can afford the fine!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/02/04 at 9:17 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he shouldn't be fined for having some sort of dedication on his helmet.  It may be simplistic...  but what's the big deal?  Why are they or anyone upset he has an allegiance or dedication to a friend or "colleague" or want's the public to remember someone who died while defending or fighting for another country... or ours?   
I really want to agree BUT if the NFL let's him put that on, it opens the door for everyome else and they might start looking like a billboard. As much as I love what Plummer did, a rule is a rule and must be followed.

Written By: scarletgail on 10/02/04 at 9:22 am

I really want to agree BUT if the NFL let's him put that on, it opens the door for everyome else and they might start looking like a billboard. As much as I love what Plummer did, a rule is a rule and must be followed.
I have to agree with you rockandroll ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/03/04 at 12:24 am

Sorry, Rock. I haven't read much about this to warrant an opinion. :-\\

Written By: blackdog on 10/05/04 at 7:51 pm

I wonder if he took the dedication off?  Or if he got fined again?  He could definitely afford the fine.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 7:54 pm

I have to agree with you rockandroll ;)
Thanks, scarletgail :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 7:57 pm

I wonder if he took the dedication off?  Or if he got fined again?  He could definitely afford the fine.
He didn't have it on in Sundays win over Tampa Bay. I know he could afford it but the league said the fine would rise each time. They definately should revise the rule and allow a certain amount of space for such things though :-\\

Written By: blackdog on 10/05/04 at 8:54 pm

He didn't have it on in Sundays win over Tampa Bay. I know he could afford it but the league said the fine would rise each time. They definately should revise the rule and allow a certain amount of space for such things though :-\\

That was a great game!  Wonder if he's the only one who's doing it or if there's others? What about the Cardinals players?  I'm sureTerrell Owens (TO)  has done some stuff like that. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 9:32 pm

That was a great game!  Wonder if he's the only one who's doing it or if there's others? What about the Cardinals players?  I'm sureTerrell Owens (TO)  has done some stuff like that. 
It was nice to win but it was an "Ugly" one. I'm not sure about the Cardinals players or TO ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/15/04 at 9:01 am

ENGLEWOOD - Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer can honor former teammate Pat Tillman without getting fined, and the NFL can still enforce its uniform code.

Plummer and the NFL reached that agreement Wednesday, after Plummer continued to wear a sticker with Tillman’s No. 40 on his helmet without receiving permission from the NFL, thus violating the league’s uniform code and risking a fine.

Plummer will stop wearing the sticker, but the Broncos will honor Tillman by hanging a larger replica of the sticker next to the play clock in the north end zone of In- vesco Field at Mile High.

The NFL will not fine Plummer for wearing the sticker during last Sunday’s game against Carolina.

“We look forward to working together with (Plummer),” the NFL said in a statement on its official Web site.

Plummer will also film a public service announcement to honor troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan while bringing attention to the Pat Tillman Foundation. The announcement will be shown at all Broncos home games and in stadiums nationwide Nov. 14-15, the weekend after Veterans Day.

Tillman, who played with Plummer at Arizona State and with the Arizona Cardinals, was an Army Ranger who died in Afghanistan in April.

“It does come down to the fact that I still wish I could wear the sticker, but I can’t, and I’m not going to, and I think what we’re doing is some good stuff,” Plummer said.

All NFL players wore the sticker in the second week of the season but only the Cardinals were allowed to continue to wear it. Plummer wore it in Denver’s third game, removed it after being threatened with a $30,000 fine by the league, but put it back on his helmet Sunday against Carolina.

Plummer said he expected to be fined for wearing the sticker Sunday but thought it was worth it to make the tribute to Tillman.

Among Plummer’s supporters was Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who wrote NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue a letter Wednesday asking the league to allow Plummer to continue wearing the sticker.

“In making your decision, I fear you have sent a message that League policy is more important than memorials to those who have sacrificed their lives for us,” McCain said in the letter.

Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., also wrote a letter to the commissioner asking the league to reconsider its stance.

“I think (the support) just shows you what Pat was able to accomplish in his short life span, to affect that many people,” Plummer said.

Plummer also recounted the last time he saw Tillman in person, about 1½ months before Tillman’s death. They went out for beers at an Irish pub in Seattle and talked until the place closed.

“It was a great night,” Plummer said. “That was my last contact in person with him, and what I’ll remember about that is that we had so much fun and talked about so many different things.

“It (stinks) that he’s not here. It’s a terrible feeling that we have to do this. It’s bittersweet, the fact that we’re talking about this and he has a foundation — it’s a constant reminder that he’s not here with us anymore.”

CONTACT THE WRITER: 476-4891 or

fschwab@gazette.com

NEXT

Denver (4-1) at Oakland (2-3), 2:15 p.m. Sunday, CBS, 740 AM, 850

Written By: blackdog on 10/15/04 at 10:40 pm

It was only a sticker.... I'm sorry, but come on.   Yay for John McCain!   Nice to see Denver's remembering him and service-men in some way.

Denver has a great/fantastic chance of winning since Oakland is so bad this year.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/16/04 at 10:44 am

It was only a sticker.... I'm sorry, but come on.   Yay for John McCain!   Nice to see Denver's remembering him and service-men in some way.

Denver has a great/fantastic chance of winning since Oakland is so bad this year.
Well, I thinks it's cool that Jake got the NFL's attention...now maybe they can work on something that will satify all. As for the Raiders...they are coming off a rough defeat at the hands of the Colts so I think they're gonna be pissed and ready for us! I just wish they could take thier anger out on the Chiefs instead ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...