inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Lynyrd Skynyrd" Right OR Wrong?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 11:52 pm

You all have heard of the horrific plane crash that the original Lynyrd Skynyrd suffered. In the years since the widow of lead singer Ronnie Van Zandt took the "New" band to court and it was ruled that if at ANY time there were less than 3 original members of the band then they would be required to change thier name....they have blatantly ignored this for years. I say be respectful to the memory of the victims and CHANGE it!Edited so "Mr. X will chill and possibly comment on the question I asked and not question my questionable spelling :D

Subject: Re: "Lynard Skynard" Right OR Wrong?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/04 at 3:03 am

Can they just truncate it to "Skynard"?  That would be changing the name without losing any commercial cache.  If that's no good, they should call themselves "Freebird."
8)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/08/04 at 6:49 am

Can they just truncate it to "Skynard"?  That would be changing the name without losing any commercial cache.  If that's no good, they should call themselves "Freebird."
8)

those are good suggestions. i'd say change the name but then again there's money to be made on the lynyrd skynyrd name and after all, when there's money who remembers promises...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 8:59 am

those are good suggestions. i'd say change the name but then again there's money to be made on the lynyrd skynyrd name and after all, when there's money who remembers promises...
Sad, but true :-\\

Written By: Mr X on 10/08/04 at 12:47 pm

Well first of all, the correct spelling of the band name is Lynyrd Skynyrd. So if you were asking about the spelling, the answer would be "wrong".

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 12:56 pm

Well first of all, the correct spelling of the band name is Lynyrd Skynyrd. So if you were asking about the spelling, the answer would be "wrong".
Cool...but NO that's not what I asked ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 1:13 pm

Mark, I agree with you. Skynard, as Maxwell suggested, would be a better alternative.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 1:32 pm

Mark, I agree with you. Skynard, as Maxwell suggested, would be a better alternative.

Tanya
Well we may not agree on rap but this is nice, Tanya ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/08/04 at 1:40 pm

I'd say change it.  I mean there are so few original band members now.  In the 80's a couple of them used their names to form the Rossington-Collins Band.  Then Allen Collins died.  I do not understand why they won't use a different name still.... ???

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/04 at 2:45 pm

To paraphrase

They know a little 'bout making money, baby you can quess the rest

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 5:44 pm

Why? What was wrong with the name Lynard Skynard?  ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 9:01 pm

Why? What was wrong with the name Lynard Skynard?  ???

Howard
better check  your spelling, Howard....I pissed off a guest....so much that they didn't even answer the original question!

Subject: Re: "Lynyrd Skynyrd" Right OR Wrong?

Written By: Fred on 10/08/04 at 9:09 pm

I vote change, new Skynyrd is lame.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 10:28 am

Leonard Skinard? ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 11:38 am

I vote change, new Skynyrd is lame.  :(
I'm with you, Fred!

Written By: SuperFreak on 10/09/04 at 12:38 pm

I voted to change it :)

Written By: LBS on 03/06/05 at 2:19 am

You all have heard of the horrific plane crash that the original Lynyrd Skynyrd suffered. In the years since the widow of lead singer Ronnie Van Zandt took the "New" band to court and it was ruled that if at ANY time there were less than 3 original members of the band then they would be required to change thier name....they have blatantly ignored this for years. I say be respectful to the memory of the victims and CHANGE it!Edited so "Mr. X will chill and possibly comment on the question I asked and not question my questionable spelling :D

Well i see them keeping the name Lynyrd Skynyrd is more of a tribute to them and keeping the name alive for over 30 years, changing it will be like trying to forget Ronnie and the rest of those who have passed away (btw theres no d in Van Zant ;))

Can they just truncate it to "Skynard"? That would be changing the name without losing any commercial cache. If that's no good, they should call themselves "Freebird."
8)

"Skynyrd" , not "Skynard" is frequently used when referring to them and why would the change the band name to one of their songs?  ???

Leonard Skinard? ???

Howard

lmao Close to the gym teacher's name (Leonard Skinner) they got the idea from but no, its Lynyrd Skynyrd

I vote change, new Skynyrd is lame. :(

Are you saying the band name of "New Skynyrd" is lame or the current members are lame? Bc if you are talking about the members you must not have been to a concert recently, bc theyre far from lame

To paraphrase

They know a little 'bout making money, baby you can quess the rest

Now thats funny, they have sold 100s of millions of cds and records and tapes etc

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/09/05 at 1:45 pm

Well i see them keeping the name Lynyrd Skynyrd is more of a tribute to them and keeping the name alive for over 30 years, changing it will be like trying to forget Ronnie and the rest of those who have passed away (btw theres no d in Van Zant ;))

"Skynyrd" , not "Skynard" is frequently used when referring to them and why would the change the band name to one of their songs?  ???

lmao Close to the gym teacher's name (Leonard Skinner) they got the idea from but no, its Lynyrd Skynyrd

Are you saying the band name of "New Skynyrd" is lame or the current members are lame? Bc if you are talking about the members you must not have been to a concert recently, bc theyre far from lame

Now thats funny, they have sold 100s of millions of cds and records and tapes etc

Yeah...another typo of mine! Anyway, Ronnie's widow asked that there be at least three surviving members of the original band, for them to keep the name. I never said they should forget those who died, I just think Billy Powell is a jerk for selling out. He was interviewed years ago and said there could be no more Skynyrd without the ones that passed on. It's JUST my opinion though ;)

Written By: AL-B on 03/09/05 at 1:50 pm

How about changing it to "The Leonard Skinner Good Time Oldies Rock N' Roll Revue?"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/09/05 at 2:07 pm

How about changing it to "The Leonard Skinner Good Time Oldies Rock N' Roll Revue?"
Because then they wouldn't be able to suck as much money into thier pockets :-\\

Written By: AL-B on 03/09/05 at 3:04 pm

I saw the new Lynyrd Skynyrd on Austin City Limits last fall, and while I think that Gary Rossington and Billy Powell still have the musical chops that made the original Skynyrd so great, I also thought that Johnny Van Zandt's stage act seemed like an unintentional self-parody and did nothing but help perpetuate the unfortunate stereotype that Lynyrd Skynyrd is just music for simple-minded rednecks.

Written By: Slide on 05/12/05 at 2:22 pm

Well, for those of you who think there are less than 3 original members.... Rickey Medlocke was Skynyrd's original drummer (before Bob Burns and Artimus Pyle), so technically they still have 3 original members (Rickey, Gary and Billy). Just my two cents... I don't care if they keep the name or not, but the won't be nearly as successful if they change it (IMHO).

Written By: mikedawg on 08/07/05 at 4:51 am

what the fudge, its still lynyrd Skynyrd right? The new lead singer is Ronnie's fudgeing brother!!!!!  Keep the damn name.  Just because some of the members change, the lead is Ronnie's brother and i think its a good memoriam of his name.  I think he would want them to keep the legacy going.  Also look at Little Feat, their members have change 360 and their still good as hell.  Yall a bunch of dumbass's

Written By: LyricBoy via wireless on 08/07/05 at 7:11 am

How about renaming to “Leonard Skinner”?  ???

That's the name of the high school gym teacher who inspired the original name.

Sadly, Mr. Skinner has passed away like so many in the band.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/05 at 10:33 am

what the fudge, its still lynyrd Skynyrd right? The new lead singer is Ronnie's fudging brother!!!!!  Keep the darn name.  Just because some of the members change, the lead is Ronnie's brother and i think its a good memoriam of his name.  I think he would want them to keep the legacy going.  Also look at Little Feat, their members have change 360 and their still good as hell.  Yall a bunch of dum****'s

Because the lead singer is Ronnie's brother?  WTF??

That's like giving Roger Clinton the nuclear launch codes because, after all, he was Bill Clinton's brother.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was an awesome band, and I am not really a big fan of southern rock.  But I give them their due... many a party has been held with their music.  I was jamming to them just today.

But the current "lineup"... after considering the deaths, the retirements, and the inexcusable ejection of Artimus Pyle... have rendered this to little more than a tribute band.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 11:31 am

what the fudge, its still lynyrd Skynyrd right? The new lead singer is Ronnie's fudging brother!!!!!  Keep the darn name.  Just because some of the members change, the lead is Ronnie's brother and i think its a good memoriam of his name.  I think he would want them to keep the legacy going.  Also look at Little Feat, their members have change 360 and their still good as hell.  Yall a bunch of dum****'s
The BIG Deal is that....like I already said in this thread, Ronnie's widow had an agreement with the remaining band members to use a different name if the original members were....well, just go READ it and you;ll see :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:12 pm

I DID read it and I still don't know what your problem is.  Who are considered "original" members?  Everything I've heard says that there ARE 3 members who were part of the band when Ronnie was still alive (the drummer was part of the band in 70 or 71).  Besides, as part of the agreement, as long as they are Lynyrd Skynyrd, she gets $$ so why shouldn't they use the name?  I don't hear her complaining ::)
My problem is: I watched the movie/documetary and heard what Ronnie's wife said...and I happen to agree with her, simple as that. I don't know what her feelings are now because I haven't heard anything new about it. If she's getting paid and is okay with it, great ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/05 at 4:16 pm

I'm having trouble getting concerned about this issue.  I try and try, but it's just...gol ding it!
:P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:21 pm

You're not the only one....
Sorry, don't like it you don't have to read/reply then :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:23 pm

Tanya

I'm having trouble getting concerned about this issue. I try and try, but it's just...gol ding it!
:P
Gee Max, seems you already put in your opinion, and I appreciate that...thanks to Tanya as well :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:27 pm

You're not the only one....
I really don't understand why you have to be so mean to me? I'm sorry for whatever I did that's got you all pissy but hey, you're teaching me a good lesson. I need not let a few people's comments bother me too much....I'm still working on it though. BTW, have I EVER been mean to you? I surely don't think so. I hope you can "Forgive" whatever I've done and at least be civil to me?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:50 pm

WTF?  How is what I said being mean to you?  Look at how FEW people have responded to this thread.....if you weren't so stuck on everyone worshipping you, you'd realize that THAT was what I was referring to.  Oh, I forgot, YOU'RE the only one who can say whatever you want.  ::)
And I wasn't ever saying you had to agree with me either. Also, I'm not stuck on people worshipping me, I just like people who can be nice about stuff, you know...friends. As for the popularity of the thread, I'm sure the few people that did reply didn't mind doing so. But as always, I will apologize to you for p issing you of all the time. Sorry

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/05 at 4:50 pm

I really don't understand why you have to be so mean to me? I'm sorry for whatever I did that's got you all pissy but hey, you're teaching me a good lesson. I need not let a few people's comments bother me too much....I'm still working on it though. BTW, have I EVER been mean to you? I surely don't think so. I hope you can "Forgive" whatever I've done and at least be civil to me?

Oh c'mon!  We don't mean no harm.  It's just a little light-hearted razzing.  I know you have a sense of humor, otherwise that red injun mascot for Cleveland wouldn't keep popping up on your siggie line!
;)

I'm not stuck on people worshipping me
Of course you're not.  You're on this board to worship MEEEE!!! 
8)

Isn't everybody?  Right guys?  Uh, guys...what are you doing with that tub of tar and all those chicken feathers?
:o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 4:58 pm

Oh c'mon!  We don't mean no harm.  It's just a little light-hearted razzing.  I know you have a sense of humor, otherwise that red injun mascot for Cleveland wouldn't keep popping up on your siggie line!
;)
Of course you're not.  You're on this board to worship MEEEE!!! 
8)

Isn't everybody?  Right guys?  Uh, guys...what are you doing with that tub of tar and all those chicken feathers?
:o
Thanks for being kind Max :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 5:06 pm

Whatever ::)
Now THAT is clever ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 5:17 pm

Not as clever as pretending to be someone else and saying what a nice person I am and how sweet I am and such ::)
You ARE sweet..just not when you're mad at me...as for  being someone else.....I know of at least two other people that have done it as well. That's all been taken care of.

Written By: Tam on 08/15/05 at 5:22 pm

I dont know whats up about nothing but I do know that we are each entitled to our own opinions.
AND when a person is typing their reply you cannot decifer whether they are being sarcastic or ignorant or funny or whatever the case may be. That being said.... opinions are just that... OPINIONS. No need for everyone to get their feathers ruffled! 8)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/15/05 at 5:25 pm

Not as clever as pretending to be someone else and saying what a nice person I am and how sweet I am and such ::)

HO! *drops mic*

SERVED!!

Beth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 5:33 pm

See, that's the difference between you and me.  If I want to say something, I say it, if people don't like it, too bad.  I'll take the rest of the comments to PM...
I do see, I just think a PM is a better way to handle things most of the time. Doesn't make you or me right or wrong, just different.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/15/05 at 5:33 pm

You ARE sweet..just not when you're mad at me...as for  being someone else.....I know of at least two other people that have done it as well. That's all been taken care of.

if you don't mind me asking...  why? 

what made you decide to do that??

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 5:56 pm

Then why did you call me on it on the thread?  Why not just take it to PM to begin with?  Do you want people to feel sorry for you for "big, bad crazymom being mean to you"?  Grow up.  It's a message board.
You're right, I think I'll stay ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/15/05 at 5:58 pm

Let's not avoid this question, now..

Beth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 6:04 pm

I don't mind at all. At least three of my friends here thought it was pretty clever as they had duals as well. We never thought anyone would know much less carre...now I know at least more than them knew and didn't like it, so I was the one to first be exposed.

Written By: Zella on 08/15/05 at 6:08 pm

if you don't mind me asking...  why?  

Let's not avoid this question, now..

Beth

Damage control kicks in....

If you two are referring to what I think you are referring to, he did 'it' as a silly, light-hearted prank over two and a half years ago, before either of you were even on the board. Only about 4-5 people knew about it - we all got a smile out of it, and no damage had ever been done. After the first few months, said persona only showed up rarely anyway....

Written By: Zella on 08/15/05 at 6:10 pm

I don't mind at all. At least three of my friends here thought it was pretty clever as they had duals as well. We never thought anyone would know much less carre...now I know at least more than them knew and didn't like it, so I was the one to first be exposed.

Good god Mark - if you want me to help you out, can you at least shut up for five minutes while I do it... ::) ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 6:12 pm

Good god Mark - if you want me to help you out, can you at least shut up for five minutes while I do it... ::) ;D
:D ;D :-X

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/15/05 at 6:16 pm

Damage control kicks in....

If you two are referring to what I think you are referring to, he did 'it' as a silly, light-hearted prank over two and a half years ago, before either of you were even on the board. Only about 4-5 people knew about it - we all got a smile out of it, and no damage had ever been done. After the first few months, said persona only showed up rarely anyway....

Oh. A grown man pretending to be a lebsian. I can see the humor in that!! :D  ::). Actually, when you think about it...it IS pretty funny--in a rather pathetic sort of way, I guess. *shrugs* Oh well.

Beth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/05 at 6:17 pm

Oh. A grown man pretending to be a lebsian. I can see the humor in that!! :D  ::). Actually, when you think about it...it IS pretty funny--in a rather pathetic sort of way, I guess. *shrugs* Oh well.

Beth
I never said I was grown...but at least you kinda get it ???

Written By: Dagwood on 08/15/05 at 6:38 pm

Why should it matter if someone has more than one persona if the alter ego isn't personally attacking anyone.  Just wondering.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/16/05 at 8:27 pm

Why should it matter if someone has more than one persona if the alter ego isn't personally attacking anyone.  Just wondering.
Well said, my true friend. You seem to understand :)

Subject: "Lynyrd Skynyrd OLD SONGS NEW SONGS

Written By: SEADOGHEAD on 01/09/06 at 9:14 pm

HOW MANY NEW SONGS DOSE THE BAND HAVE THAT WERE DONE AFTER THE CRASH?????????

CHANGE THE NAME TO HONOR THE CRASH BAND!

Written By: bruce on 01/10/06 at 8:14 pm

as a die hard skynyrd fan i say keep the name For those who think that their only music was before the crash your missing out on some good musc  Go buy viscious cycles  or edge of forever these are great albums  Ive seen them in concert 6 or 7 times since the tribute tour in 1987 they put on a awesome show every time  Judy is making money they all should be happy  How many other bands out there have lost members replaced them without changing their name  imsorry i was too young to see them with  Ronnie Steve Allen  & Cassie Go see them today youll seepeople frm 6 to 60 in the audience when my daughter was 13 i took her to see them  Like ive told more than one person its not a concert its a religious experience like going to church  With so much garbage on the radio today who among you doesnt stop that dial when ya here the first few notes of any one of their songs
THEY ARE THE GREATEST ROCK-n-ROLL BAND EVER
FLY ON FREEBIRDS YOUR FREE AT LAST

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/06 at 8:43 pm

"Right Wrong" Lynard OR Skynyrd?

Check for new replies or respond here...