inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popularity of Rap "Music"

Written By: JFK-2004 on 10/08/04 at 1:03 pm

In recent years there has been a significant increase in the popularity of rap "music".  These "songs" are dominating the pop charts.  I can't comprehend how people could continuously listen to this garbage.  I would give anything to go back just fifteen years, when actual music was popular.  Today's rap "music" has propagated ignorance.  I find it impossible to listen to the conversations of my peers at school for an entire minute without hearing stupid slang phrases being shouted, and I live in a RURAL area!  I shudder every time I imagine what it must be like to attend an inner-city school. 

Bill Cosby was absolutely correct when he voiced his disgust for the manner in which people speak today.  What was wrong with using real English, without the swear words and stupid slang? 

I just ain't understandin' da culture dees days?  What da dizzle?

hehe

Subject: Re: Popularity of Rap "Music"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 1:09 pm

In recent years there has been a significant increase in the popularity of rap "music".  These "songs" are dominating the pop charts.  I can't comprehend how people could continuously listen to this garbage.  I would give anything to go back just fifteen years, when actual music was popular.  Today's rap "music" has propagated ignorance.  I find it impossible to listen to the conversations of my peers at school for an entire minute without hearing stupid slang phrases being shouted, and I live in a RURAL area!  I shudder every time I imagine what it must be like to attend an inner-city school. 

Bill Cosby was absolutely correct when he voiced his disgust for the manner in which people speak today.  What was wrong with using real English, without the swear words and stupid slang? 

I just ain't understandin' da culture dees days?  What da dizzle?

hehe
First of all, Welcome! Lastly, you will probably catch hell but not from me ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 1:12 pm

For your age, I understand your dilemma. However, the same thing has been said for rock, jazz, and other genres of music. Actually, fifteen years ago, rap was popular as well. The fact that you feel everyone who attends (or have attended an inner-city school, like me) speaks the slang perpetuates the same ignorance on your part that you "observe" in the music of which you speak.

In addition, Americans speak American English, not real English, which is spoken by those in England. It is often described as a dumb-down version of actual English. Everyone speaks their own form of slang, from those who speak Spanglish to those who speak Yiddish. It's a fact of life. I can guarantee that you speak a form of slang that someone else feels is "stupid".

Enjoy your young years and don't take everything so seriously. You're not catching hell from me as RockandRoll Fan puts it, but just more of a better perspective of things.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/04 at 2:25 pm

For your age, I understand your dilemma. However, the same thing has been said for rock, jazz, and other genres of music. Actually, fifteen years ago, rap was popular as well. The fact that you feel everyone who attends (or have attended an inner-city school, like me) speaks the slang perpetuates the same ignorance on your part that you "observe" in the music of which you speak.

In addition, Americans speak American English, not real English, which is spoken by those in England. It is often described as a dumb-down version of actual English. Everyone speaks their own form of slang, from those who speak Spanglish to those who speak Yiddish. It's a fact of life. I can guarantee that you speak a form of slang that someone else feels is "stupid".

Enjoy your young years and don't take everything so seriously. You're not catching hell from me as RockandRoll Fan puts it, but just more of a better perspective of things.

Tanya

Yeah, like she said! :)

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/04 at 2:34 pm

Tanya

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/08/04 at 4:03 pm

i agree, mostly. i don't like rap/hip hop, i find the music repetitive, shallow, and vain and i noticed only the "popular" people listens to it. my gf listens to hip hop, she's a fan (although she doesn't fit into the popular catergory) so i've been exposed to more hip hop than i care to listen too. the lyrics are often extremely vulgar, even for a foul mouthed sinner like myself and very degrading to woman. although the one positive aspect about hip hop and one that my gf pointed out is, the beat is great to have sex too... ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 5:25 pm

i agree, mostly. i don't like rap/hip hop, i find the music repetitive, shallow, and vain and i noticed only the "popular" people listens to it. my gf listens to hip hop, she's a fan (although she doesn't fit into the popular catergory) so i've been exposed to more hip hop than i care to listen too. the lyrics are often extremely vulgar, even for a foul mouthed sinner like myself and very degrading to woman. although the one positive aspect about hip hop and one that my gf pointed out is, the beat is great to have sex too... ;)
Well said, sputnikcorp  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 5:28 pm

Rap has dramatically changed over the past 25 years or so.First,you had The Sugarhill Gang in 1979 then you had other groups in the early 80's with Secret Weapon,RUN-DMC,Grandmaster Flash,etc... After that, you had the music from C & C Music Factory,Tone Loc,Young MC, & Snow,Then went hardcore in the early 90's and had started using curse words in their songs with groups like House Of Pain and Cypress Hill,then turned to crap afterwards. :P Do you agree with this?

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 5:30 pm

BTW, I grew up in an inner-city neighborhood and I love Rock music! I can't get enough of Aerosmith, the former hair bands of the 1980s, and I'm a major Paul McCartney/Beatles groupie! Howard, yes I do agree with you.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 5:31 pm

BTW, I grew up in an inner-city neighborhood and I love Rock music! I can't get enough of Aerosmith, the former hair bands of the 1980s, and I'm a major Paul McCartney/Beatles groupie! Howard, yes I do agree with you.

Tanya
You Rock my world, Tanya ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 5:32 pm

IMO,Rap should've stayed fun and exciting instead of long and boring. :P

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 5:34 pm

You Rock my world, Tanya ;)

The feeling's mutual, Mark!

IMO,Rap should've stayed fun and exciting instead of long and boring. :P

Howard

You are so right, Howard!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 5:41 pm

I kinda wish there was another Sugarhill Gang,Grandmaster Flash,Secret Weapon or RUN DMC. :(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 5:57 pm

I kinda wish there was another Sugarhill Gang,Grandmaster Flash,Secret Weapon or RUN DMC. :(

Howard

Maybe the future knows better than we do! I hope so. We need a good and pure party song now!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 6:18 pm

Maybe the future knows better than we do! I hope so. We need a good and pure party song now!

Tanya

unfortunately,they're aren't too many these days. ::)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/04 at 6:29 pm

So true, Howard!

Tanya

Written By: JFK-2004 on 10/08/04 at 6:42 pm

Howard

I do agree that the early rap music was generally pretty good.  I'm sort of a fan of the Beastie Boys and RUN DMC, but definitely not of Puff Daddy (who now uses the lame moniker "P. Diddy") and 50 Cent.  The "gangsta" era that began at the end of the 80s and lasted into the mid-90s spoiled the genre, IMO.  The content of the music switched from innocent partying to drugs, violence, and "hos".  It's been dominated by the gangsta atmosphere for so long now, which in my opinion was rotten to begin with, and the songs' redundancy is driving the genre further into the pit. 

Three letters to describe the recent downfall of music:  MTV!!!

P. Diddy?!?  Why would a "cool" rapper want to name themself after a Nintendo character?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/08/04 at 7:25 pm

I do agree that the early rap music was generally pretty good.  I'm sort of a fan of the Beastie Boys and RUN DMC, but definitely not of Puff Daddy (who now uses the lame moniker "P. Diddy") and 50 Cent.  The "gangsta" era that began at the end of the 80s and lasted into the mid-90s spoiled the genre, IMO.  The content of the music switched from innocent partying to drugs, violence, and "hos".  It's been dominated by the gangsta atmosphere for so long now, which in my opinion was rotten to begin with, and the songs' redundancy is driving the genre further into the pit.   

P. Diddy?!?  Why would a "cool" rapper want to name themself after a Nintendo character?
I just call him Puff Daddy-Diddy Gang Bang :P

Written By: Fred on 10/08/04 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, in my school all the preppy's and skater's listen to rap. Now I don't like rap, but I'm not one to insult people by their taste in music. What you were pointing out about how it's degrading to women, and  very repetitive.  :P Anyways, as Howard was pointing out, Grand Master Flash And The Furious Five was good times.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/04 at 12:06 am

Earlier rappers such as Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, Ice-T, and to degree, Run-DMC served a great purpose for raising social consciousness.  Even if they used vulgar language and violent lyrics, if the rap was talking about real issues of social injustice, poverty, and life in African American communities it was a positive force.
Where rap went wrong started with the advocacy of status symbols, such as Run-DMC, "My Adidas."  All that did was play into the hands of corporate America and encourage poor kids to crave expensive products. 
When the artist is out there saying, "look at how bad@ss I am with my gold chains, my Rolex, my Lexus, and my 'hoes," the kids start figuring how they too can get all of those things.  How? Gangsterism, crime, drugs, prostitution.  Of course, the original culprit is poverty.  Poverty beats down strong family structure and social bonds which are necessary for positive role models and a sense of self worth.
The "gangster" rapper always defends his glamorization of violence, crime, and hedonism, saying "yo, I just report the news.  This is waht goes on in my 'hood."  Of course, he makes being a gangster, pimp, and dope dealer look like an ecstatic lifestyle, so his claim is fundamentally dishonest.
Ice-T used some of the gangster rap imagery, but what Ice-T always said was, "yeah, you can go be a pimp, a dealer, and a thug, and you'll get all the money, the gold, the girls, and the cars.  And then you'll wind up dead.  Your rivals will gun you down like a dog."

Most of the rap I see these days is just booty-shakin' inanity, and that seems so sad for an artform that had such promising beginnings.

Written By: Fred on 10/09/04 at 2:15 am

Earlier rappers such as Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, Ice-T, and to degree, Run-DMC served a great purpose for raising social consciousness.  Even if they used vulgar language and violent lyrics, if the rap was talking about real issues of social injustice, poverty, and life in African American communities it was a positive force.
Where rap went wrong started with the advocacy of status symbols, such as Run-DMC, "My Adidas."  All that did was play into the hands of corporate America and encourage poor kids to crave expensive products. 
When the artist is out there saying, "look at how bad@ss I am with my gold chains, my Rolex, my Lexus, and my 'hoes," the kids start figuring how they too can get all of those things.  How? Gangsterism, crime, drugs, prostitution.  Of course, the original culprit is poverty.  Poverty beats down strong family structure and social bonds which are necessary for positive role models and a sense of self worth.
The "gangster" rapper always defends his glamorization of violence, crime, and hedonism, saying "yo, I just report the news.  This is waht goes on in my 'hood."  Of course, he makes being a gangster, pimp, and dope dealer look like an ecstatic lifestyle, so his claim is fundamentally dishonest.
Ice-T used some of the gangster rap imagery, but what Ice-T always said was, "yeah, you can go be a pimp, a dealer, and a thug, and you'll get all the money, the gold, the girls, and the cars.  And then you'll wind up dead.  Your rivals will gun you down like a dog."

Most of the rap I see these days is just booty-shakin' inanity, and that seems so sad for an artform that had such promising beginnings.

I fully agree.

Written By: woops on 10/09/04 at 2:26 am

I also grew up in the inner city & mostly with the hip hop crowd in the late 1990's.

Like many people, I believe that old school rap  from the 1980's & early  1990's is better.  :)

Though I agree with some of the statements.

And it went all downhill in 1997. Especially with Puff Daddy.  :P

Black Eyed Peas, the only current rap group (Besides Outkast since they were around since 1994) I actually like, have some decent songs like the socially aware "Where's The Love" & "Get The Party Started".  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 2:53 am

I also grew up in the inner city & mostly with the hip hop crowd in the late 1990's.

Like many people, I believe that old school rap  from the 1980's & early  1990's is better.  :)

Though I agree with some of the statements.

And it went all downhill in 1997. Especially with Puff Daddy.  :P

I call him  Puff Daddy-Diddy Gang Bang :P

Written By: goodsin on 10/09/04 at 5:26 am

Anyone ever heard of the Welsh (UK) group Goldie Lookin' Chain? Even though they are indeed a collective (sorry, should that be a 'crew' or a 'massive'?!) of rappers, they directly mock the wannabe-bad**s bling culture so prevalent amongst rappers today.  :)
I'd agree with Maxwell (as I generally do) about the different context of rap today. Although there are a few noticeable exceptions (Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, Miss Dynamite etc(OK, I know these aren't solely rap acts, but rap does feature in their acts)) most rap artists seem to have abandoned the notion of writing lyrics with any social consciense. Rap seems to have gone from an art form where people expressed views on issues of importance, to a bragging contest about how well-dressed/ tough/ sexually attractive/ rich the 'modern rap artist' perceives themselves to be. Come to think of it, I may have omitted a letter 'c' from the phrase 'modern rap artist'... ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 10:11 am

I grew up in the 1970's but I didn't start listening to the radio till the late 80's and rap has changed a whole lot. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 11:41 am

Anyone ever heard of the Welsh (UK) group Goldie Lookin' Chain? Even though they are indeed a collective (sorry, should that be a 'crew' or a 'massive'?!) of rappers, they directly mock the wannabe-bad**s bling culture so prevalent amongst rappers today.  :)
I'd agree with Maxwell (as I generally do) about the different context of rap today. Although there are a few noticeable exceptions (Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, Miss Dynamite etc(OK, I know these aren't solely rap acts, but rap does feature in their acts)) most rap artists seem to have abandoned the notion of writing lyrics with any social consciense. Rap seems to have gone from an art form where people expressed views on issues of importance, to a bragging contest about how well-dressed/ tough/ sexually attractive/ rich the 'modern rap artist' perceives themselves to be. Come to think of it, I may have omitted a letter 'c' from the phrase 'modern rap artist'... ;D
;D Thanks, goodsin....you made my day a little better ;)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/09/04 at 5:43 pm

There did seem to be more mainstream accessible rap around in the 80s and very early 90s. The light, fluffy party rap is always accessible to the mainstream.  And many times gangsta rappers purposefully make their music so loud, intense and crazy just so no mainstream listener will start becoming their fans.  Rappers that have had success in the mainstream like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Hammer, Wil Smith, even Bobby Brown back in the day have always delivered very accessible rap songs that are generally fluffy in nature.  The thing is, for gangsta rappers it is not cool for them to listen to the same stuff that 7 year old White kids are dancing too (like say a Wil Smith song, or a Run DMC rap back in the 80s).  Gangsta rappers are very protective of rap.   It's kinda like how the hard fans of KISS didn't find them cool anymore when they seeped into the mainstream and became cool with everyone.  Metal fans can be the same way, they really don't like mainstream pop metal, but rather something more intense and loud.  There are two types of gangsta rap fans.  For the less serious ones, it projects an image of being cool, authentic, & non-establishment,....one of my cousins friends in medical school is like this.  He's obviously not stupid, but he likes playing up the image of thug life and "bein' a playa".  Ofcourse he's not super serious about any of it, and he doesn't know the first thing about real street life. 

But for the really serious ghetto fans it projects an image of being hardcore.  "Foo' don't mess with me, I got the thug life goin' on".  For years I didn't realize that there were two types of gangsta rap fans, I always thought everyone was part of the 2nd group, you know stereotypically someone from the hood, near the hood, or just got out of prison.  Finding out about the less serious, often very intellectual other group of gangsta rap fans was a shock to me.  These guys will crack a joke about "thug life" while they are disecting a cadaver in med school, or taking a Calculus III class at Stanford.  I used to hate gangsta rap, and finding out about this other group kinda made me look like an anal, uptight guy too, so I found out there is actually a lot to like about gangsta rap.  If you don't take too seriously that is. 

Ofcourse the Beastie Boys rapped about silly suburban things, so they had a huge mainstream appeal circa 1986.  At the end of the day, it all goes back to what made Elvis popular...i.e. it's fun for kids to tick off the grown ups and make them nervous.  By the way, gangsta rap was definately around in the 80s.  Come on now.  Public Enemy, NWA, Ice-T....

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 10/09/04 at 11:33 pm

anyone who jumps on rap for being bad and not music is ignorant. I pride myself on being open to all types of music becauseit is all creative and what sounds good simply sounds good. I'm not gonna say that all of rap is good, I agree that lately rap songs have become more about glorifiying ghetto life including calling women "ho's", rapping about jewlery and making threats to peoples' lives but hey, what sells sells. Whatever you like is just what you like. Dont look down on someone else for liking gangsta rap because you dont agree with it. If youve never lived that kind of life then I guess it would seem like good music to you.
And to dis someone like P.Diddy is insane. Whether you like him or not someone does because he has more money than anyone of us will ever have combined.
If you like gangsta rap listen to NWA, G-Unit or old school Dre and Snoop
If you like lyrical rap listen to Tupac, Jay-Z or Biggie
If you like transgenre new school rap listen to OutKast, Kanye West or the Black Eyed Peas
If you like pop party rap listen to Nelly, P.Diddy or Ja-Rule
Whatever you like, listen to it and stop complaining about what you dont like. there is good stuff out there, you just need to open your ears and listen.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/10/04 at 12:39 am

Public Enemy is not gangsta rap at all. It was all about empowerment, education, self-sufficient, and knowledge.

Thanks, Blo-town for your comments!

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 12:40 am

If you can't hum it, if it doesn't have melody, it's not music. Period.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/10/04 at 12:42 am

If you can't hum it, if it doesn't have melody, it's not music. Period.

My Dear, you can hum it! There's some rock songs I can't hum at all (though I seriously try  ;) )

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 12:44 am

I just can't stand rap. It has no soul man, it's, argh I hate it.

And they don't really sing, they talk. It has no melody, just beat. It's not music.

Rap music=oxymoron.

Written By: nally on 10/10/04 at 12:47 am

And they don't really sing, they talk. It has no melody, just beat. It's not music.

Rap music=oxymoron.

I totally agree...although there is some rap that I don't mind (mostly the stuff that came out more than 10 years ago, i.e., from the 80s and early 90s).

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 5:31 am

Rap these days, JFK, seems to be glorifying the things it set out to talk about sensibly in the 1980s (The Message and White Lines from Grandmaster Flash was highlighting the dangers of urban living, crime and drug-taking).

Howard is absolutely right, rap at one stage was fun. Sadly it isn't anymore.

Bling Bling - pah! Sounds bloody stupid, doesn't it?  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 10:47 am

Rap music=oxymoron.
Agreed! Not to mention the "Attitude" of "ME" (Which also happens in other genres of real music)...Oh...I mean YO, I've just made 5 million off some "Fans" and now instead of paying some bills, buying some pants that don't look I have a "Load" in them and MAYBE giving a tiny bit to charity...I think I'll go buy my 15th Mercedes, 5th house and RENT a hall for $100,000 so me and my homies can screw and smoke crack until we get hungry enough to go to Micky Dee's with a loaded gun and think we're "Stylin' :D

disclaimer: The previous story is FICTION, any similarities to real life are purely coincidental....YO :P
:P

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:53 pm

Goodsin, I saw GLC in concert in August... very good I have to say and I am not a rap fan so to speak.  I agree with the c bieng ommited from the front of rap though.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 7:27 pm

Rap these days, JFK, seems to be glorifying the things it set out to talk about sensibly in the 1980s (The Message and White Lines from Grandmaster Flash was highlighting the dangers of urban living, crime and drug-taking).

Howard is absolutely right, rap at one stage was fun. Sadly it isn't anymore.

Bling Bling - pah! Sounds bloody stupid, doesn't it?  ;D

Rap is hard to dance to these days cause most of the time,you don't even know what the "F" they're talking about. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 7:29 pm

Rap music=oxymoron.

You got that right,Dude! >:(

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 7:31 pm

Rap is hard to dance to these days cause most of the time,you don't even know what the "F" they're talking about. ::)

Lol.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 8:51 pm

Howard
c'mon, Howard....F'ing, degrading women, doing drugs, stealing, killing and bragging about how much $ they have is about all they talk about :P

Written By: MrJiggyFly on 10/10/04 at 11:41 pm

It goes ON & ON & ON ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/11/04 at 1:31 pm

Yeah i will echo the point made earlier, rap 'music' from like.. i guess about '86 to about '92 was good. OK you have nwa who were pretty funny with a lot of the stuff they did (ok a lot of it was a load of crap as well) but they used real music a lot of the time, and like Master P's - Dear Mr President actually made you think, now it's quite frankly sheeshe.

All rap is.. is telling a story to a beat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/11/04 at 2:28 pm

Yeah i will echo the point made earlier, rap 'music' from like.. i guess about '86 to about '92 was good. OK you have nwa who were pretty funny with a lot of the stuff they did (ok a lot of it was a load of crap as well) but they used real music a lot of the time, and like Master P's - Dear Mr President actually made you think, now it's quite frankly sheeshe.

All rap is.. is telling a story to a beat
Oh and let us not forget how a lot of stuff they "add" they STEAL..sample ::) from rock songs >:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/11/04 at 3:31 pm

Too True...

LOL But then again, not to be on the rap defence here, but aren't all musicians guilty or borrowing... ???

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/11/04 at 3:35 pm

its disposable music now.

Written By: Jessica on 10/11/04 at 3:59 pm

Agreed! Not to mention the "Attitude" of "ME" (Which also happens in other genres of real music)...Oh...I mean YO, I've just made 5 million off some "Fans" and now instead of paying some bills, buying some pants that don't look I have a "Load" in them and MAYBE giving a tiny bit to charity...I think I'll go buy my 15th Mercedes, 5th house and RENT a hall for $100,000 so me and my homies can screw and smoke crack until we get hungry enough to go to Micky Dee's with a loaded gun and think we're "Stylin' :D

disclaimer: The previous story is FICTION, any similarities to real life are purely coincidental....YO :P
:P

Wrong, my dear. :) As an example: OutKast. Andre 3000 and Big Boi donate to charities (though it is not well known), they don't wear baggy pants (have you seen what they wear? I love it!), and I think they're more down to earth in terms of possessions than any other rappers out there. I also don't think they're into the drug scene, although their videos look like they were on crack. ;D Rap is changing quite a bit from what it used to be and OutKast is leading the way (can't tell I'm an OutKast fan, can ya?)

Interesting article

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/11/04 at 4:56 pm

Wrong, my dear. :) As an example: OutKast. Andre 3000 and Big Boi donate to charities (though it is not well known), they don't wear baggy pants (have you seen what they wear? I love it!), and I think they're more down to earth in terms of possessions than any other rappers out there. I also don't think they're into the drug scene, although their videos look like they were on crack. ;D Rap is changing quite a bit from what it used to be and OutKast is leading the way (can't tell I'm an OutKast fan, can ya?)

Interesting article
I KNEW you'd reply to me! YOU have been the ONLY person to really open my eyes about Rap...so, like any other form of entertainment/music...I guess it's not ALL bad!  I DO appreciate that ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/11/04 at 8:03 pm

c'mon, Howard....F'ing, degrading women, doing drugs, stealing, killing and bragging about how much $ they have is about all they talk about :P

or pimping ho's.Rap was better when Young MC and Tone Loc was around 15 years ago. ;D

Howard

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/12/04 at 10:56 am

Well they've finally done it! We're so hungry for something different that we now manufacture our stars like an assembly line of idiots. They created a genre for people with no talent and who don't sing and it's called RAP! They almost named it right but thay left the C off in front- CRAP. They created a cast of shadey characters with childish names like Snoop Diggity Dawg, Biggy Little Fatty Super-Sized and 2 pack Shacker to Howdy Doody Diddy or Co Co Puff Daddy Dingaling Dong. Very intelligent. When they get a new artist and they need a name- it shows just how uncreative they are by what they are called. Even poor old Prince loss his identiity for a while because of all the influences of this generation who don't know who they are. Talking in time to music (usually the same beat and sound) is not talent, any auctioneer can do it. Its simple just repeat after me (in rap time ) "Come and listen to a story about a man named JED- a poor mountianeer barely kept his family FED" you got it! Oh, that's not shocking or dirty enough to sell is it?
Take a way the shock words in rap and the sells drop- its purely for the low IQ non thinkers and people who think John Kerry is President material- Don't get me started... 

Written By: Jessica on 10/12/04 at 12:15 pm

Well they've finally done it! We're so hungry for something different that we now manufacture our stars like an assembly line of idiots. They created a genre for people with no talent and who don't sing and it's called RAP! They almost named it right but thay left the C off in front- CRAP. They created a cast of shadey characters with childish names like Snoop Diggity Dawg, Biggy Little Fatty Super-Sized and 2 pack Shacker to Howdy Doody Diddy or Co Co Puff Daddy Dingaling Dong. Very intelligent. When they get a new artist and they need a name- it shows just how uncreative they are by what they are called. Even poor old Prince loss his identiity for a while because of all the influences of this generation who don't know who they are. Talking in time to music (usually the same beat and sound) is not talent, any auctioneer can do it. Its simple just repeat after me (in rap time ) "Come and listen to a story about a man named JED- a poor mountianeer barely kept his family FED" you got it! Oh, that's not shocking or dirty enough to sell is it?
Take a way the shock words in rap and the sells drop- its purely for the low IQ non thinkers and people who think John Kerry is President material- Don't get me started... 

::)

edited to add: And what's your explanation for Christian rap? I know darn well that they don't cuss.

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/12/04 at 12:41 pm

Glad you asked. Christain rap is an attempt to reach a lost and dying generation by using the means they will listen to.
Rap as a style of music is mundane, repetitive and talking in time to the painfully same old thumping sounds. Where is the singing voice? where is the talent or originality? most anyone can talk, not everyone can sing. Christainity is the answer- rap is a tool. Whether it's used for evil or for good that is a choice and we all will answer for our choices. The sad truth is youth looks up to artists and always have. Unfortunately this genre (c- uh rap)  promotes thier idols with sickening language and themes that lead to hell to the impressionable mind. When a grown man has his pants hanging down off his butt you'd better check his diaper he's probably done a number in his britches. The truth shall make you free and God bless.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 1:16 pm

Glad you asked. Christain rap is an attempt to reach a lost and dying generation by using the means they will listen to.
Rap as a style of music is mundane, repetitive and talking in time to the painfully same old thumping sounds. Where is the singing voice? where is the talent or originality? most anyone can talk, not everyone can sing. Christainity is the answer- rap is a tool. Whether it's used for evil or for good that is a choice and we all will answer for our choices. The sad truth is youth looks up to artists and always have. Unfortunately this genre (c- uh rap)  promotes thier idols with sickening language and themes that lead to hell to the impressionable mind. When a grown man has his pants hanging down off his butt you'd better check his diaper he's probably done a number in his britches. The truth shall make you free and God bless.

Sounds like someone who doesn't know much about the genre and relies on the over-generalizations provided by the same individuals who share the same thoughts. I seriously doubt you know all the sub-genres to strengthen your generalizations.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/12/04 at 6:34 pm

Rap changed the way we listen to music today.It's just different.Rap is not what it used to be in 1979. :(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 8:38 pm

Rap changed the way we listen to music today.It's just different.Rap is not what it used to be in 1979. :(

Howard

I couldn't agree with you more. However, let's try not to generalize an entire genre without understanding that there are several sub-genres within it. All of it is not crap nor do they say the same thing. Be mindful there are those that would do the same to rock. But, then again, the rock scene now is crappy too with the pseudo-punk bands, like Sum 41 out there. They don't have the slightest clue about what punk is.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 8:45 pm

Too True...

LOL But then again, not to be on the rap defence here, but aren't all musicians guilty or borrowing... ???
Yes...but not BLATANTLY or as often as Rappers! :)

Written By: woops on 10/13/04 at 12:47 am

, then again, the rock scene now is crappy too with the pseudo-punk bands, like Sum 41 out there. They don't have the slightest clue about what punk is.

Tanya

I call it "Pop Punk" and all is not bad like Green Day, Blink 182, & Bowling For Soup.

And what about in the '80's with "metal" with the popularity of the hairbands & harder metal bands.
(BTW, I like hairbands, hard rock, & some "true" metal bands)

Written By: elefanten on 10/13/04 at 5:01 am

i like: House of Pain (Hop means jump on danish),  Early Snoop Dogg, Sugarhill Gang, Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, OPM, Kottonmouth Kings, RUN-dmc, Getto Boys, Rehab, Beastie Boys, Some Dr. Dre, Dub Pistols (Call them what you want, but i call them rap), Dynamite Hack and more

But i Hate lots of the new Gangsta-rap/Pop-Rap

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 12:47 pm

I call it "Pop Punk" and all is not bad like Green Day, Blink 182, & Bowling For Soup.

And what about in the '80's with "metal" with the popularity of the hairbands & harder metal bands.
(BTW, I like hairbands, hard rock, & some "true" metal bands)

You are so right about that observation. Go figure! I love Green Day and Blink 182. Bowling for soup needs to show more for me to like them, though. Poison did not equal metal. They equaled hairband. Black Sabbath, Anthrax, and Iron Maiden equaled metal bands!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 7:13 pm

and what about Rap Rock? How would you describe that genre?

Howard

Written By: woops on 10/13/04 at 8:04 pm

and what about Rap Rock? How would you describe that genre?

Howard

"Nu-Metal" like Limp Bizkit, Korn, & Rage Against The Machine

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 8:15 pm

I kinda like OutKast :)

Check for new replies or respond here...