inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tradgedy Puts Sports In Perspective

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 8:13 pm

I am NOT a fan of The Yankees...but I have feelings....this is horrible :\'(

NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera is expected to be available for the Yankees in Game 1 of the American League Championship Series, which takes place Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium.
General manager Brian Cashman said at approximately 5 p.m. ET that Rivera was en route from Panama, where he has been since Sunday night, dealing with the aftermath of a family tragedy.

It was unclear what time Rivera left Panama or whether he will be in the Bronx when Game 1 gets underway, but Cashman said that the closer is expected to be in uniform some time during the game.

"He'll be here at some point," Cashman said.

Two family members were electrocuted in Rivera's pool at his home in Panama on Saturday, the same day that the Yankees advanced to the ALCS with a win against the Twins at the Metrodome. Rivera learned of the situation after the game, and he and his wife, Clara, flew to Panama on Sunday.

Rivera attended the funeral for his two family members on Tuesday before leaving for the airport, where a private plane was waiting to take him to New York.

The Associated Press reported that Rivera left Panama City at about 3:30 p.m. ET, which would land in New York around 8 p.m. First pitch was scheduled for 8:19 p.m.

"I appreciate the support I have been given," he told the AP before leaving for the airport. "Life continues and I have to attend to my work."

Manager Joe Torre said that he would likely take Rivera's mental temperature when he arrives at the ballpark before deciding whether to use the right-hander in the late innings against Boston.

"A lot of it will depend on the feeling I have when I see him," Torre said. "I hope I have that decision to make, that we're in a position to make that choice."

Subject: Re: Tradgedy Puts Sports In Perspective

Written By: jaytee on 10/12/04 at 8:31 pm

Very sad story.  Tragedy puts a lot of things in perspective. :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 9:15 pm

sure does :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/12/04 at 11:11 pm

Mariano played tonight and saved Game 1 for the Yankees. I hope he can overcome his tragedy, but let this be a lesson to everyone that water and electricity don't mix. It's a shame that tragedies like this can happen anywhere. :(

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 7:15 pm

especially in real life.  :\'(

Howard

Written By: Joelle on 10/13/04 at 10:49 pm

That's so sad!  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...