inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ex-Pistol John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) to present documentary about insects

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/14/04 at 9:52 am

I'd just heard today that John Lydon will be presenting a series of documentaries on The Discovery Channel about insects. Apparently he has an affinity for them. Should be rather interesting, and it'll probably be one of the rare times I'll be glued to The Discovery Channel for anything! It starts in November.

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: Ex-Pistol John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) to present documentary about insects

Written By: Bobby on 10/14/04 at 5:46 pm

Yes, this part of John Lydon's personality was discovered when he went in the jungle in the reality show 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here'. He was the only reason why I watched it for as long as I did. This news doesn't surprise me.

However, I can't see him doing this straight-faced and without swearing - that wouldn't be anarchy otherwise.  ;D

Subject: Re: Ex-Pistol John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) to present documentary about insects

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/14/04 at 6:01 pm

Yes, this part of John Lydon's personality was discovered when he went in the jungle in the reality show 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here'. He was the only reason why I watched it for as long as I did. This news doesn't surprise me.

However, I can't see him doing this straight-faced and without swearing - that wouldn't be anarchy otherwise.  ;D

I wish I'd seen that (I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here)! I would have loved to have seen Lydon on that, especially when he called someone a "f*cking c*nt" or something just before he quit the show. :D Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this documentary. I don't know if I can see him do this straight faced either, same with swearing. But this is the Discovery Channel, and it's a documentary, so he might have to tone it down! But can you imagine him as another Michael Palin doing nature documentaries? LOL...this should be interesting!! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/14/04 at 10:16 pm

He should host an A&E Crime Story on how fellow band-mate Sid Viscious murdered his girlfriend before killing himself....the little PUNK >:(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/14/04 at 10:34 pm

He should host an A&E Crime Story on how fellow band-mate Sid Viscious murdered his girlfriend before killing himself....the little PUNK >:(

That was never proven. And anyway...that's not what this is about.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/14/04 at 10:38 pm

roger daltrey hosted a documentary series on pirates, roger daltrey being a real pirate and all. so yeah, i can see john lydon doing this...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/14/04 at 10:39 pm

That was never proven. And anyway...that's not what this is about.

Absolutely Vile
Sorry...I just saw something last year that featured her family and investigators that thought otherwise...no...not proven...anyway...sorry to go off topic. He should be great as he is a colorful guy ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/14/04 at 10:43 pm

roger daltrey hosted a documentary series on pirates, roger daltrey being a real pirate and all. so yeah, i can see john lydon doing this...

Are you saying Johnny's an insect then? ;) (Just kidding.) :) Was Roger Daltrey really a pirate?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/15/04 at 6:55 am

Are you saying Johnny's an insect then? ;) (Just kidding.) :) Was Roger Daltrey really a pirate?

Absolutely Vile

lol...no, i was kidding with him being a pirate. but his rakish good looks and rogue attitude made him a good choice to do that doc.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/15/04 at 9:56 am

lol...no, i was kidding with him being a pirate. but his rakish good looks and rogue attitude made him a good choice to do that doc.

I imagine it did! That might have been interesting to see. Not that I'm into pirates or anything...or even Roger Daltrey or The Who. I just find it fascinating to see pop stars (and I use the term "pop" to represent all sorts of popular music) present educational documentaries like that. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 10/16/04 at 8:23 pm

I wish I'd seen that (I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here)! I would have loved to have seen Lydon on that, especially when he called someone a "f*cking c*nt" or something just before he quit the show. :D Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this documentary. I don't know if I can see him do this straight faced either, same with swearing. But this is the Discovery Channel, and it's a documentary, so he might have to tone it down! But can you imagine him as another Michael Palin doing nature documentaries? LOL...this should be interesting!! :)

That outburst of John Lydon's was when he found out he wasn't voted OUT. He quit the reality show in the end despite being a firm favourite.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/17/04 at 12:35 am

That outburst of John Lydon's was when he found out he wasn't voted OUT. He quit the reality show in the end despite being a firm favourite.

I can see the show not really being his "thing"...:) Then again, I didn't think I'd see him doing a documentary either! He never ceases to amaze me. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/04 at 5:23 am

"Eeeeu, look at awl the nasty li'le buggers, watch me squish 'em!  Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!"
  :D

Written By: Bobby on 10/17/04 at 5:44 pm

I can see the show not really being his "thing"...:) Then again, I didn't think I'd see him doing a documentary either! He never ceases to amaze me. :)

Which is what makes him constantly fascinating. I stereotype him as an anarchist and then he goes out and does something relatively normal.  ;D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/17/04 at 10:52 pm

Which is what makes him constantly fascinating. I stereotype him as an anarchist and then he goes out and does something relatively normal.  ;D

Yet he still maintains the sarcastic wit he's always had since the Pistols' days, which is great and an endearing quality I've always admired about him. I hope it comes out in this series. You should read his autobiography (called Rotten). It's quite good from what I've read of it so far. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: goodsin on 10/21/04 at 1:51 am

Absolutely Vile

On that basis, a better presenter would surely have been Adam Ant? Or Ziggy Stardust's Spiders From Mars?

There must be a parody in there for all our twisted lyricists, regarding Lydon's insect-introducing malarky, contrasted against his anarchic past... :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/21/04 at 9:58 am

On that basis, a better presenter would surely have been Adam Ant? Or Ziggy Stardust's Spiders From Mars?

Or Midge Ure! (Isn't a "midge" some sort of insect?)

There must be a parody in there for all our twisted lyricists, regarding Lydon's insect-introducing malarky, contrasted against his anarchic past... :)

Probably...:)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: goodsin on 10/22/04 at 1:09 am

Absolutely Vile

Hey, very true, AV. ;D I normally post on here when I'm at work (on my break, honest!), and I tried to come up with a few more, and even maybe a parody song, then got distracted elsewhere... best wishes!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/22/04 at 8:45 am

Hey, very true, AV. ;D I normally post on here when I'm at work (on my break, honest!), and I tried to come up with a few more, and even maybe a parody song, then got distracted elsewhere... best wishes!

Ooh, I hope you do come up with a parody! I'd love to see it! :) Now get back to work! :P

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 3:40 pm

Absolutely Vile

Yes, they're NASTY little stinging flies that come out around twilight, sort of like Mayflies. 

Check for new replies or respond here...