inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Moose caught in power lines....hung 50 feet in the air.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/20/04 at 7:17 am

http://www.adn.com/alaska_ap/story/5680965p-5613350c.html
http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~7244~2474424,00.html
http://ap.peninsulaclarion.com/pstories/state/ak/20041017/2519067.shtml

October 17th - 7:31 pm ET
Moose caught in power lines, hangs 50 feet in air

The Associated Press
FAIRBANKS — A bull moose was suspended 50 feet in the air after its antlers became tangled in a power line under construction southeast of Fairbanks.

The incident happened on October 5 on the Pogo Mine Road. The moose apparently became tangled in electrical wires while the line, under construction to the Teck Pogo gold mine about 80 miles southeast of Fairbanks, was close to the ground.

Workers noticed something wrong after tightening the line, and backtracked to find the moose hanging by its antlers.

The moose was alive when it was lowered to the ground, but Department of Fish and Game officials decided to kill it rather than tranquilize it before removing the wires.

Officials say they were worried the stressed moose would die and the drugged meat would not be salvageable.

"The only unfortunate part is we had to shoot the moose," said Gabriel Marian, president of City Electric Inc., the contractor erecting the power line to the mine. "It would be more of a feel-good story if we had let it down and it ran off."

The moose may have weighed as much as 1,200 pounds. Dave Davenport, a technician for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in Delta Junction, said he is trying recover the antlers.

The workers believe the moose may have come across the sagging and swaying wires and decided to challenge the power line to a fight, as bull moose are known to do during the rut, or mating season.

"My guess is he was in full rut and probably seen that line moving out there," and decided to fight, said Marvin Pickens, line construction manager for City Electric in Anchorage.

Crews can lay up to five miles of line at a time before tightening it with a giant hydraulic winch, said Pickens.

The line is pulled through leaders on the crossties at the top of the power poles and then winched tight with as much as 5,000 pounds of pressure, he said.

"As you're pulling, it constantly droops up and down," said Pickens. "My guess is that he was right in the middle of one of the sections when it got pulled up."

The moose was likely suspended in the air for only a matter of minutes before workers investigated and found it, Marian said.

It was tangled in static, the half-inch cable that is strung up next to the power lines to serve as a lightning rod, said Pickens.

"I've been in this state 28 years and I've never seen anything like that," said Pickens. "City Electric has been in business for 52 years and never had an incident like this.

"I can't see how it could happen but it happened," he said.

Davenport talked to Karl Hanneman, manager of public and environmental affairs for Teck-Pogo, and made the decision to have City Electric workers shoot the moose, based on reports he got about the animal's condition.

Tranquilizing an animal at that point can be deadly, he said.

"If they're really wore down, they'll succumb to (the drugs) and die," Davenport said. "Then you can't salvage the meat because of the drugs in it."

The meat was donated to a local resident, he said.

City Electric workers tried in vain to free the moose once it was lowered to the ground, Marian said. The moose was thrashing about trying to free itself, posing a threat to anyone who got near.

A pair of photos showing the moose hanging by its antlers began circulating on the Internet on Thursday. State wildlife biologist Tom Seaton thought it was a hoax when he first saw the photos.

"If you believe in UFOs you might believe in this," Seaton said on Thursday. After being told the photo was authentic on Friday, Seaton was still skeptical.

"I still find it hard to believe," he said.

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper113/20041017_TOP_TONE.JPG

Subject: Re: Moose caught in power lines....hung 50 feet in the air.

Written By: Apricot on 10/20/04 at 3:04 pm

Oooo... daaaaaaaaym!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/04 at 3:24 pm

Someone had to be called up for that.  In jobs like that there is always supposed to be someone
eyeing a certain points to make sure something like that doesn't happen. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/04 at 11:20 pm

Awww, the poor moose!  He really got himself in a pickle.  Too bad they had to kill him.  The vet was saying if they shot him up with tranquilizers he'd probably succomb because he was so stressed out.  If he was drugged they couldn't use the meat.  Is moose meat tasty?  Sounds like it would be kind of tough.  They probably donate the meat to the local shelters.

Written By: goodsin on 10/21/04 at 2:01 am

Ha Ha. I didn't enter the thread at first 'cos I misread it as 'mouse caught in power lines'- it is very early in the day here...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/21/04 at 6:53 am

Is moose meat tasty?  Sounds like it would be kind of tough.  They probably donate the meat to the local shelters.

it is actually. my uncles hunt moose and we get a roast or two every hunting season.

Written By: Arwen on 11/12/04 at 8:48 pm

Awww, the poor moose!  He really got himself in a pickle.  Too bad they had to kill him.  The vet was saying if they shot him up with tranquilizers he'd probably succomb because he was so stressed out.  If he was drugged they couldn't use the meat.  Is moose meat tasty?  Sounds like it would be kind of tough.  They probably donate the meat to the local shelters.

It's totally tasty...I've killed a moose and my dad and brother have both gotten a couple...it's really very good.

But I was totally sad about this story...

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 9:08 pm

I've never eaten moose meat before. :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/04 at 2:42 pm

One question... how did the moose get up there?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...