inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ashlee Simpson's Slip-Up On SNL

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/26/04 at 10:09 pm

She sort of redeemed herself from that error on Saturday Night Live.

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/#2

Subject: Re: Ashlee Simpson's Slip-Up On SNL

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/04 at 10:10 pm

She has come close to losing her welcome here in Utah.  She was supposed to perform at a local high school today (they won a national contest).  She was a no show.  No one knows why...her opening act came and performed, but he didn't know why she didn't show either.  The kids they interviewed on the news weren't very happy with her at all.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 10:29 pm

She thinks she's better than everyone else....typical Hollyweird :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 10:36 pm

If I EVER run out of toilet paper I just whip out "People" magazine :D

Written By: Davester on 10/26/04 at 11:46 pm

She's a dork...

Written By: woops on 10/27/04 at 12:09 am

Everybody makes mistakes.  :)

And she's a good singer.

Like  doesn't most pop singsrs lip sync.  ::)

Atleast she isn't fake like Milli Vanilli,,,remember that clip from Club MTV on "Behind the Music:

'Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know..."  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 10/27/04 at 7:36 am

Atleast she isn't fake like Milli Vanilli,,,remember that clip from Club MTV on "Behind the Music:

'Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know..." :D

Remeber the VH1 Behind The Music?  Heck, I remember when it happened.  And look what it did to their careers.

I think what galls me is the no show at the concert yesterday.  Those kids won a contest and were looking forward to it and she just doesn't show.  No reason why, just a no show.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 8:22 am

I'd still party with her.  :P

Written By: joedeertae on 10/27/04 at 8:51 am

funny how that little dance move looks more like square dancin' when she has no music backing it up!  ;D

(did someone say ho-down? ::) )
http://members.boards.ie/deadwing/ashleedance.gif

Written By: Elvis on 10/27/04 at 9:35 am

More proof that today the artists are manufactured. Everyone should know by now- The artists these days are not that talented, they all get a lot of "technical" help. Anyone can sound good in a modern studio so do not be impressed by them. Like Elton John said "anyone who lipsyncs when people shell out 70 bucks for a ticket at a live concert should be shot!" It is easier to set up equipment (a false front) and play a CD and lipsync rather than work at getting the sound just right. It saves a huge amount of time as well as IF the artist is not in the best health (i.e. sore throat, voice tired from touring...) they can still collect the big bucks and keep the tour rolling. You pay -they buy another house in the Bahamas and the beat goes on... I think it was shadey character of her to blame it on the band afterwards- "Blame it on the rain" or your own lack of knowing how to keep the show going but do not blame it on the band

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 10:37 am

Well, I did see the "Ashlee Simpson Show" and even then her voice came across to me as somewhat weak and fragile.  And it is a fact that she has a NASTY case of acid reflux that affects her vocal cords.

If the track was truly used as a "backing" or "filler" track, I have no problem.  The vast, VAST majority of singers can not both sing and dance at the same time and come off sounding good.  The huffing and puffing tends to foul up your voice.

Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..

Ooh ooh ooh...

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/27/04 at 11:49 am

On a live show, it is believed that a musical performer will sing live, without vocal equipment or effects. Lorne Michaels is a firm believer in that everything should be spontaneous without "using a net". Albeit rock fans are rabidly against lip syncing, as opposed to pop stars who have to pre-record so they will always be shown as someone with talent. Why pay $100 for a concert if all they're gonna do is play an album you can buy for $15? It's a ploy to make record companies look like geniuses.
As for Milli Vanilli, obviously they didn't have enough talent for even studio electronics. :-\\
Everybody makes mistakes.  :)

And she's a good singer.

Like  doesn't most pop singsrs lip sync.  ::)

'Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know, Girl You Know..."  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/04 at 12:14 pm

in defense of this "performer", it's not the same as Milli Vanilli.  They lipsynched not only their live performances, but the album as well, that hasn't been proven to be the case here.  Just a case of a "live" peformance is less than live.  Much like Madonna, Michael Jackson, and scores of other performers who use pre-recorded tracks at concerts.

I think it makes SNL look worse, not only for booking acts like hers, but then using prerecorded tracks on top of it.  While SNL has managed to come out with some decent sketches from time to time, the show was never the same since the 70s.  It's really watered down and pathetic.  I'm glad I TIVO it so I can fast forward through the crap.  SNL used to book acts that you wouldn't see on TV.  Can you see Ashlee on TV before her booking?  They need to book less well known performers.  Even Nirvana was not well known when they went on SNL at the time (I had owned Nevermind for months before their appearance, but they still weren't an MTv staple at that point). 

Better yet, get rid of the musical acts and cut the show down to an hour.  It might have less crap in it and be less boring near the end.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/27/04 at 2:09 pm

Well, I did see the "Ashlee Simpson Show" and even then her voice came across to me as somewhat weak and fragile.  And it is a fact that she has a NASTY case of acid reflux that affects her vocal cords.

If the track was truly used as a "backing" or "filler" track, I have no problem.  The vast, VAST majority of singers can not both sing and dance at the same time and come off sounding good.  The huffing and puffing tends to foul up your voice.

Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..
Girl you know it's..

Ooh ooh ooh...

Michael Jackson, Madonna, Destiny's Child, and other acts pull the dancing and singing thing off without a hitch....Stop making up excuses for those who lack talent.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 2:34 pm

She's a dork...
I'll add in...without talent ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 5:11 pm

Michael Jackson, Madonna, Destiny's Child, and other acts pull the dancing and singing thing off without a hitch....Stop making up excuses for those who lack talent.

Tanya

Tanya,

How much money would you care to lay down that Madonna and Destinys Child don't use backing tracks?  I'll gladly take the other side of that bet.

:P

Written By: woops on 10/27/04 at 7:54 pm

Ashlee Simpson has talent.  :)

"Pieces Of Me" is a great song.

If that were to be her sister, it might've been worse...I think.  :-\\  :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/27/04 at 8:00 pm

Tanya,

How much money would you care to lay down that Madonna and Destinys Child don't use backing tracks?  I'll gladly take the other side of that bet.

:P

Backing tracks is one thing, which I know some artists use. It's like having backup singers on tape. But, that's completely different from lip-synching to your voice on tape.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/27/04 at 8:10 pm

She blamed it on her Acid Reflux Disease? might she have eaten something before she got on stage? perhaps something spicy? :o

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 9:24 pm

She blamed it on her Acid Reflux Disease? might she have eaten something before she got on stage? perhaps something spicy? :o

Howard

Nah.  Acid reflux usually happens while you are sleeping.  Her vocal cords have been irritated from the acid.

By the way if you have acid reflux that's fouling up your vocal cords, that's a MAJOR case.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/28/04 at 5:03 pm

I still dig her  :)

Written By: Michelle on 10/28/04 at 8:15 pm

funny how that little dance move looks more like square dancin' when she has no music backing it up!  ;D

(did someone say ho-down? ::) )
http://members.boards.ie/deadwing/ashleedance.gif

Lol!  ;D Wow that's lame...

I was watching when it happened, but I thought she said that the problem was that she was singing one song and the band was playing another. When did the lip syncing part come in?

Written By: scarletgail on 10/28/04 at 10:05 pm

I'd still party with her.   :P
LOL LB ;)

Written By: Lillbrown on 10/29/04 at 1:51 am

Well in her defense, I happen to think Ashlee is extremely talented, much more than her sister; she is original, and she writes her own songs.  I also can buy the story about her vocal chords being damaged, because if any of you have watched her reality series, you know for a fact, she has problems with it. 

On the negative side, she a) danced a little jig, which was retarded, plain and simple and b) tried to blame it on the band, it wasn't them singing.  Also, if I were her, I'd be careful about telling folks I'd done a "hoedown". 

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/29/04 at 10:06 am

Ashlee was trying to cover the fact there was no lip syncing, that it was only the band and that they "played" the wrong song.

I was watching when it happened, but I thought she said that the problem was that she was singing one song and the band was playing another. When did the lip syncing part come in?

Check for new replies or respond here...