inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bret Favre's Wife Has Breast Cancer

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/26/04 at 10:29 pm

Seems nothing's going right for the Favre family.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7831611

Subject: Re: Bret Favre's Wife Has Breast Cancer

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 10:40 pm

Seems nothing's going right for the Favre family.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7831611
Sometimes life really SUCKS.... :\'( My prayers are with her

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 8:38 am

First off, I certainly hope that Mrs. Favre recovers quickly and completely.

That said... WHY IS THIS A NEWS ITEM?

If she got a heart attack, it would not have been a news item anywhere except in her home town.  And heart disease is a MUCH bigger killer of women than breast cancer; one in two women will ultimately die from heart disease.

Written By: Elvis on 10/27/04 at 9:10 am

God is still in the healing business- She will be fine. Brett is the toughest QB ever to pull on a helment and his love to play the game is inspiring for the days where a lot of players sit on the bench with "turf toe". Maybe you can start a "get well" board for us to forward to Mrs. Favre??? Prayer changes things and I'm alive today because of it.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/27/04 at 11:40 am

Heart disease is the leading killer of both men and women. Perhaps a better argument would be that if it was just a normal housewife with breast cancer, it wouldn't have made the papers, as opposed to a celebrity and/or celebrity's spouse like Deanna Favre or Linda McCartney or Susanne Somers (who has completely recovered, mind you). You won't see me complain about Lance Armstrong's cancer recovery getting more press than my father's heart treatment. 
First off, I certainly hope that Mrs. Favre recovers quickly and completely.

That said... WHY IS THIS A NEWS ITEM?

If she got a heart attack, it would not have been a news item anywhere except in her home town.  And heart disease is a MUCH bigger killer of women than breast cancer; one in two women will ultimately die from heart disease.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 5:22 pm

Heart disease is the leading killer of both men and women. Perhaps a better argument would be that if it was just a normal housewife with breast cancer, it wouldn't have made the papers, as opposed to a celebrity and/or celebrity's spouse like Deanna Favre or Linda McCartney or Susanne Somers (who has completely recovered, mind you). You won't see me complain about Lance Armstrong's cancer recovery getting more press than my father's heart treatment. 

It should be a big deal for women.  There is very little research funding for women's heart disease, which has a very different causality and treatment needs than heart disease in men.

Most clinical work on women's heart disease has assumed that women are just "small men with heart disease" which is simply not true.  However, for some odd reason breast cancer has become the popular cause with ribbons, national "holidays" and whatnot; a more logical and lifesaving approach would put the funds and the P.R. where it will do the most good... preventing and treating heart disease in women.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/28/04 at 1:15 am

All diseases in women need to be dealt with, as men's diseases often do (except for prostate or colon-rectal cancers). I agree that women's heart disease should be better researched and treated. But what about women's strokes, kidney and liver disease, osteoporosis, cervical cancer and other women's ailments? They need to be brought into the forefront too.

It should be a big deal for women.  There is very little research funding for women's heart disease, which has a very different causality and treatment needs than heart disease in men.

Most clinical work on women's heart disease has assumed that women are just "small men with heart disease" which is simply not true.  However, for some odd reason breast cancer has become the popular cause with ribbons, national "holidays" and whatnot; a more logical and lifesaving approach would put the funds and the P.R. where it will do the most good... preventing and treating heart disease in women.

Check for new replies or respond here...