inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coin Collecting

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 1:03 pm

Any coin/currency collectors out there? I thought that I would start a new topic for anyone who wants to talk coins.

Even though I am interested in all coins and currencies (foreign and domestic) lately I have been concentrating on Morgans. I recently purchased a 1888-O that isn't graded but looks like it is probably close to VF-50 or so. Would love to get my hands on a CC but they are so expensive if they are in half-way decent shape. (I'm sure coin collectors will know what I am talking about).

Anyway, I hope to hear from other collectors. I am posting this with the fear that there won't be any on this board.  :'(

Cat

Subject: Re: Coin Collecting

Written By: gemini61 on 10/28/04 at 3:53 pm

I work with money all day where I work and sometimes I come across a coin from another country or just an old U.S. coin. So I usually buy it, if it's in with dimes I put a dime in for it, etc. . . So I have a can full of different kinds of coins but have no idea what they're worth. I also have a paper currency from Ghana that my daughter got a long time ago from a pen pal, some old mercury dimes and buffalo nickles. Don't really know what I'm going to do with them really. I just thought they were neat.  :)

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/04 at 4:06 pm

I don't remember what I did with my old coins. I think I've still got them around somewhere. I've got at least one currency from most countries around the globe, as far as I remember.

Ghanaian currency is rather interesting to me, as it happens, seeing as the history of the cedi (that's the main Ghanaian currency unit) has recently become more expansive and more interesting with the introduction of 10,000 and 20,000 cedi notes.

Unfortunately because most of mine are pictures and copies, they're not worth anything as currency..!

I haven't collected any of these for more than two or three years, though. My most recent additions are a dulled copy of a ten-thousand manat note from Turkmenistan with a picture of Niyazov on the front.

Still, none of these will help with the tuition fees..!

Written By: gemini61 on 10/28/04 at 4:13 pm

I don't remember what I did with my old coins. I think I've still got them around somewhere. I've got at least one currency from most countries around the globe, as far as I remember.

Ghanaian currency is rather interesting to me, as it happens, seeing as the history of the cedi (that's the main Ghanaian currency unit) has recently become more expansive and more interesting with the introduction of 10,000 and 20,000 cedi notes.

Unfortunately because most of mine are pictures and copies, they're not worth anything as currency..!

I haven't collected any of these for more than two or three years, though. My most recent additions are a dulled copy of a ten-thousand manat note from Turkmenistan with a picture of Niyazov on the front.

Still, none of these will help with the tuition fees..!

The Ghana currency I have says, Bank Of Ghana, Two Cedis, 6th March 1982 and has a picture of either a boy or girl, I can't tell which, with 3 books on their head. (school books I guess) what is the significance of the books on the head, I wonder?

Written By: Jessica on 10/28/04 at 4:21 pm

If I see something that interests me, I save it. I have a penny from 1916 and an old hundred peso coin from Mexico. I also have some fifty centavo coins as well. My weirdest find was when I got back some change from a store, a penny from Fiji was amongst it. :o
I also have those darn pesky Canadian coins that always sneak into change somehow. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 7:59 pm

The Ghana currency I have says, Bank Of Ghana, Two Cedis, 6th March 1982 and has a picture of either a boy or girl, I can't tell which, with 3 books on their head. (school books I guess) what is the significance of the books on the head, I wonder?

I do have some Ghana Cedis (500, 1000, 2000, and 10,000  :o) that is the paper money. I know I have some coins from Ghana somewhere. I'm sure it is not worth much but I love it anyway. A friend brought it back for me from a trip she took there. I have put the word out if anyone travels to bring me back money.  ;D The thing is, they do.  :)

I think some of the coolest currency I have are from pre-Nazi Germany that have the reprints on them from when inflation really took hold of the country. Carlos' dad won them in a poker game on his home from the invasion of Normandy. He wrote on them, "Souvenir of Germany 6/7/45"

I also have English pennies with Elizabeth, George VI, George V, Edward VII, and Victoria.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/28/04 at 8:38 pm

My Brother used to collect old Quarters.He has them downstairs in our basement.back then,whenever he saw a quarter,he'd put it in his blue folder to keep them secure.

As for me,I collect pennies and put them in my jar. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobo on 10/28/04 at 11:36 pm

That's the way to get people to bring ya back things from their trips, though, to personally request them to be given back. Unless you manage to ask that person, you're otherwise in a bit of a pickle.

Speaking of which, I'm still trying to keep my eye on what's going to happen in Turkey with their Lira. Due to inflation, the dollar is now worth about 1.6 million lirae, and they're basically passing laws to manually slash zeroes off the currency.

I'm looking forward to the uproar come the next series of Turkey's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", though..!

I do have some Ghana Cedis (500, 1000, 2000, and 10,000 :o) that is the paper money. I know I have some coins from Ghana somewhere. I'm sure it is not worth much but I love it anyway. A friend brought it back for me from a trip she took there. I have put the word out if anyone travels to bring me back money. ;D The thing is, they do. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/04 at 10:56 am

That's the way to get people to bring ya back things from their trips, though, to personally request them to be given back. Unless you manage to ask that person, you're otherwise in a bit of a pickle.

I always tell people that I will give them the U.S. equivant of the currency. I'm sure many countries, that isn't much.

Speaking of which, I'm still trying to keep my eye on what's going to happen in Turkey with their Lira. Due to inflation, the dollar is now worth about 1.6 million lirae, and they're basically passing laws to manually slash zeroes off the currency.

I'm looking forward to the uproar come the next series of Turkey's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", though..!

That is too funny.

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 10/29/04 at 1:02 pm

I have a small collection of coins which is mostly made up of buffalo nickles, Kennedy 1/2's, lots of foreign currency (bills and coins), $2 bills, wheat back pennies and a couple of commemorative coins. My favorite coin is a Washington Commemorative coin from 1983 because I got it in a plastic case and it has never been out so it is uncirculated (sp?) and has not a scratch. I have been doing a little research lately to try and learn more about coin collecting with my 10 y/o.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/04 at 2:24 pm

I have a small collection of coins which is mostly made up of buffalo nickles, Kennedy 1/2's, lots of foreign currency (bills and coins), $2 bills, wheat back pennies and a couple of commemorative coins. My favorite coin is a Washington Commemorative coin from 1983 because I got it in a plastic case and it has never been out so it is uncirculated (sp?) and has not a scratch. I have been doing a little research lately to try and learn more about coin collecting with my 10 y/o.

What more can you tell me about that commemorative coin? Is it a proof? (Does it have a mirror-like surface to is) Also, is it silver? (They made a gold one that year, too.) Of course all commenorative coins are uncirculated. Can you imagine if someone were to try to pay for something with one?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 10/29/04 at 2:38 pm

What more can you tell me about that commemorative coin? Is it a proof? (Does it have a mirror-like surface to is) Also, is it silver? (They made a gold one that year, too.) Of course all commenorative coins are uncirculated.

Cat

I believe it is a proof and it is silver. I can't remember if it was a .50 or a 1.00 denomination. Not sure off hand about the mirror like surface but I will check it out when I get home this evening.

Can you imagine if someone were to try to pay for something with one? :-\\

Cat

I would hope if someone DID try that they would be paying it to ME!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/04 at 2:44 pm

I believe it is a proof and it is silver. I can't remember if it was a .50 or a 1.00 denomination. Not sure off hand about the mirror like surface but I will check it out when I get home this evening.

I would hope if someone DID try that they would be paying it to ME!  ;D

The mirror-like surface means it is a proof. As a commemoritve coin, it probably is. It is probably one dollar (I always love how they print "one dollar" on these coins and it usually cost more than that) I did find a listing of it in the book I have. Bare in mind that my book is over 10 years old (I really do need to replace it) but it does put the value at $23. I'm sure it is more than that since (like I said) that was the worth over 10 years ago. But, I have discovered that something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 7:42 pm

I started collecting around 1988 when I recieved a Royal Mint prize in a competition. I have just kept a small collection since (namely some threpenny bits, old pennies, drachmas, francs, pesatas, dimes etc).

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 8:59 pm

I collect pennies in a jar.One day,I will cash em' in and wrap them up and we'll see how much money I'll get. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...