inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brian Wilson finishes SMiLE

Written By: AL-B on 10/29/04 at 1:16 pm

In 1966-67, Brian Wilson began work on his follow-up to Pet Sounds, which was to be called SMiLE. For the lyrics, he collaberated with a songwriter named Van Dyke Parks. Unfortunately, due to his rapidly deteriorating mental condition and because of resistance from other members of the Beach Boys, the project was abandoned, although a few songs were released in a watered down version called Smiley Smile, which only hinted at what SMilLE could have been.
    This year, Brian Wilson finally decided he was ready to complete the album, and he got back with Van Dyke Parks to finish the remaining songs. He toured England with his new band and played the newly completed songs to sold out audiences who gave the show rave reviews. He then returned to the original studio where work had begun 40 years ago and rerecorded the entire album. He used a lot of the same recording equipment and instruments that he used back in the Sixties, although none of the original master tapes were actually used on the finished album, mainly due to potential legal wranglings from the other surviving Beach Boys (Mike Love, anyone?)
      The album sounds great. (When it was released in the last part of September, it debuted at #13 on the Billboard chart.)Wilson did a good job in giving the new album an authentic 1960's sound to it. And the songs are beautifully melodic, and only prove further what a great composer Brian Wilson is. For anyone who is a fan of the Beach Boys (particularly their later work), I give this album my highest recommendation.

Subject: Re: Brian Wilson finishes SMiLE

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/29/04 at 3:07 pm

Since it's from when Brian was in the band and it's not the current Mike Love GARBAGE band....I'll definately give it a listen :)

Written By: Bobo on 10/29/04 at 3:11 pm

Without giving much away, Mark, you certainly will not regret it! I'd critique it, but I'm leaving some time before I do any sort of professional-sounding critiquing until more people have actually listened to it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/29/04 at 3:24 pm

Without giving much away, Mark, you certainly will not regret it! I'd critique it, but I'm leaving some time before I do any sort of professional-sounding critiquing until more people have actually listened to it.
Thanks, Bobo. I will try and get it soon....meanwhile, I hope you didn't take offense to my opinion of the current "Beach Boys"  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...