inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Back from holiday.

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 7:53 pm

Hello everyone.  :)

Just thought I would write a thread saying that I have enjoyed my week at Blackpool (a sea-side resort in the north of England) and did some great stuff.

I went to the top (well as far up as I could) the legendary Blackpool tower, went to the circus, saw an ice-rink spectacular show, went to see some old comedians on the North pier and shopped myself stupid at Manchester's Trafford Centre and Fleetwood Market.

It's been a busy week and I loved the accents. Fortunately, I've missed most of the bad weather in the south as well so that's a bonus as well.

Thanks for reading.  :)

Subject: Re: Back from holiday.

Written By: zcrito on 10/29/04 at 8:24 pm

How's the weather this time of year in the north?

And why is the weather bad in the south?

???

"...and I loved the accents".  ;D

:)

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/29/04 at 8:28 pm

welcome back,Bobby..sounds like you had a great time.. :)
ps lucky for you to have miissed the shutdown of the site  8)

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 8:30 pm

How's the weather this time of year in the north?

And why is the weather bad in the south?

???

Sorry, Zcrito, I meant 'the north and south of England' not 'north and south of Blackpool'. While I was in Blackpool (despite it not being the best of weather) it was much better than where I live in Plymouth.  :)

Written By: zcrito on 10/29/04 at 8:32 pm

Sorry, Zcrito, I meant 'the north and south of England' not 'north and south of Blackpool'. While I was in Blackpool (despite it not being the best of weather) it was much better than where I live in Plymouth.  :)

'the north and south of England'. Yes, that's how I read it and my questions still stand. I'm just curious that's all.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 8:32 pm

welcome back,Bobby..sounds like you had a great time.. :)
ps lucky for you to have miissed the shutdown of the site  8)

Ah it did? Oh well. Any particular reason the site shut down?

Thanks for the welcome back, Ktel.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 8:36 pm

'the north and south of England'. Yes, that's how I read it and my questions still stand. I'm just curious that's all.  ;)

Well. It was dry in Blackpool (quite cloudy though) for most of the time and in the south of England we have had quite a lot of rainfall apparently - causing flooding in some areas again (according to my girlfriend's mum  ;D).

Written By: gemini61 on 10/29/04 at 8:51 pm

Sounds like a great time, Bobby. So, what'd ya bring us! Any cool souveniers?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 8:53 pm

Welcome Back Bob.How was Blackpool? :)

Howard

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/29/04 at 8:59 pm

Ah it did? Oh well. Any particular reason the site shut down?

ok..seems like a really bad dream thinking back..it was like saturday-tues night for me..apparently a hacker was on the loose and Chucky G moved the server to protect the site..we all survived but hopefully it will be a very long time until we're without these boards again for that amount of time(it was pretty painful  :\'( ;D)

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 9:11 pm

Sounds like a great time, Bobby. So, what'd ya bring us! Any cool souveniers?  ;D

I've brought you some sticks of virtual Blackpool rock!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 9:12 pm

ok..seems like a really bad dream thinking back..it was like saturday-tues night for me..apparently a hacker was on the loose and Chucky G moved the server to protect the site..we all survived but hopefully it will be a very long time until we're without these boards again for that amount of time(it was pretty painful  :\'( ;D)

Hackers seem to be a big problem for some reason - some people have a lot of time on their hands.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 9:24 pm

How was the weather in Blackpool?

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 9:27 pm

How was the weather in Blackpool?

It was pretty cloudy and windy, Howard but it was dry. We were lucky that when it did rain, we were indoors.  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 9:29 pm

What other things did you do?

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 9:35 pm

What other things did you do?

We walked along the beach and saw the donkeys. The donkeys give little kiddies rides on their backs which is quite an old tradition. We went to the Pleasure beach which was a fairground and had some decent rollercoasters there. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the mood (or too cowardly whichever you prefer) to go on them. I just had my tea at the time.  ;D

We also played bingo at the hotel as well. The bingo caller was a dry, dead-pan person who was incredibly funny. For some reason, I laughed in my beer when he described the number 21 as 'a duck on a crutch' lol.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 9:45 pm

Are you glad to be back where you are? :)

Howard

Written By: blackdog on 10/30/04 at 2:43 am

Sounds like a great holiday Bobby!  and a lot of fun.  So, it's still beach weather in October?  Did you work on your tan?

By the way, where is Blackpool?  is it near Chester, south or north?  Great little town.

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 5:50 am

Sounds like a great holiday Bobby!  and a lot of fun.  So, it's still beach weather in October?  Did you work on your tan?

By the way, where is Blackpool?  is it near Chester, south or north?  Great little town.

Heh heh. It's not really beach weather, blackdog so unfortunately a tan was out of the question. Still, we went for the Blackpool experience moreso than the weather - good job really, isn't it?  ;D

Hmm! I'm not too sure where Blackpool is in relation to Chester. I presume it is North because it is in Lancashire, Yorkshire somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/04 at 5:55 pm

So,are you still planning to visit NYC anytime soon?

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 5:56 pm

Welcome back, Bobby!  :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 5:58 pm

So,are you still planning to visit NYC anytime soon?

Lol. Ah Howard. You know I would love to visit America . . . You never know. Don't rule it out, that's what I say.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 5:59 pm

Welcome back, Bobby!  :)

Ah! Thank you, Alice.  :)

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 6:01 pm

Ah! Thank you, Alice.  :)

You're welcome, Bobby!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/30/04 at 6:02 pm

Lol. Ah Howard. You know I would love to visit America . . . You never know. Don't rule it out, that's what I say.  :)

We'll call each other sometime and set up a day where we can meet.I've got to talk it over with my parents if we do. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 6:07 pm

We'll call each other sometime and set up a day where we can meet.I've got to talk it over with my parents if we do. ::)

Absolutely. However, I have just recovered from Blackpool, Howard - and that's in England. Going half-way around the world may take a little more time.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/30/04 at 6:09 pm

Absolutely. However, I have just recovered from Blackpool, Howard - and that's in England. Going half-way around the world may take a little more time.  :)

Don't worry about it.take your time and think about it.We'll exchange phone numbers one day.But,I got to remember to call you on my cell cause I have 800 minutes. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 6:10 pm

Don't worry about it.take your time and think about it.We'll exchange phone numbers one day.But,I got to remember to call you on my cell cause I have 800 minutes. :)

Yeah. One day, Howard.  :)

Wouldn't it be more expensive on your mobile phone, Howard?

Written By: Howard on 10/30/04 at 6:16 pm

Yeah. One day, Howard.  :)

Wouldn't it be more expensive on your mobile phone, Howard?

I asked my Father and he says.Yes.It does cost to call-in.Cause it only works in the United States area.Sorry! :(
I'll find a way. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 6:51 pm

I asked my Father and he says.Yes.It does cost to call-in.Cause it only works in the United States area.Sorry! :(
I'll find a way. :)

Lol. No worries.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 9:32 pm

Lol. No worries.

Could I call you from a payphone? What about how many quarters I should deposit? ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/04 at 4:47 am

Could I call you from a payphone? What about how many quarters I should deposit? ???

That would be a lot of quarters, Howard. They guzzle them down I'm afraid, Howard.

Written By: karen on 11/01/04 at 5:21 am

Heh heh. It's not really beach weather, blackdog so unfortunately a tan was out of the question. Still, we went for the Blackpool experience moreso than the weather - good job really, isn't it?  ;D

Hmm! I'm not too sure where Blackpool is in relation to Chester. I presume it is North because it is in Lancashire, Yorkshire somewhere.

Shame on you Bobby, not knowing the wherabouts of these two counties!.

Blackpool is in Lancashire and Chester is a bit to the south of that.

Bobby

were the illuminations switched on?  I'm never too sure what time of year they operate.

Did you have a ride on a tram?  That's the other traditional thing to do in Blackpool I suppose.

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/04 at 7:04 pm

Shame on you Bobby, not knowing the wherabouts of these two counties!.

Lol. Yeah I know. I'm afraid I had a choice between geography and history in GCSE, went for history and messed it up anyway - oh well!  ;D

Blackpool is in Lancashire and Chester is a bit to the south of that.

Thank you, Karen.  :)

Bobby

were the illuminations switched on?  I'm never too sure what time of year they operate.

Did you have a ride on a tram?  That's the other traditional thing to do in Blackpool I suppose.

The lights were switched on and they looked lovely (like a mini Las Vegas). Both Postman Pat and Brasil Brush (of all things) were acknowledged in lights. Even the trams had loads of lights on them. It took us about an hour and a half to get down one street to the illuminations because it was so blocked with traffic!

I didn't get to ride a tram unfortunately because they never could run on time according to the scedule (and we got impatient). We were talking to a taxi driver about the situation and he said Blackpool has a shortage of tram drivers - I say get 'em trained. It is very long from one of the promenade to the other and so transport of any kind was gratefully recieved.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/04 at 8:37 pm

That would be a lot of quarters, Howard. They guzzle them down I'm afraid, Howard.

Could you give me an estimate of how many quarters I should deposit? Maybe a roll of them if all possible? ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/02/04 at 8:12 am

Could you give me an estimate of how many quarters I should deposit? Maybe a roll of them if all possible? ???

Do you have a land-line phone, Howard?

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 9:02 pm

Do you have a land-line phone, Howard?

I don't even know if I do own one.

Let's say I'm calling you from New York City to London UK(wherever you live),how many quarters should I bring so just in case my minutes are up and the operator tells me to put in more money for the next so and so minutes? ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/03/04 at 4:40 am

I don't even know if I do own one.

Let's say I'm calling you from New York City to London UK(wherever you live),how many quarters should I bring so just in case my minutes are up and the operator tells me to put in more money for the next so and so minutes? ???

To be really honest, Howard, I don't know the equivalent rate of American to English currency like that. I would just know that phoning from a pay-phone would be extremely costly.

A land-line is just having a phone in your house (that is not mobile).

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 8:29 pm

To be really honest, Howard, I don't know the equivalent rate of American to English currency like that. I would just know that phoning from a pay-phone would be extremely costly.

A land-line is just having a phone in your house (that is not mobile).

Then you would have to give me the first 3 digits in your home phone number and I'd call by payphone to see how much it costs for the next so and so minutes.

and sorry,I can't call by home phone.My Father would raise the roof when he sees the bill. :o

Howard

Written By: karen on 11/04/04 at 4:58 am

and sorry,I can't call by home phone.My Father would raise the roof when he sees the bill. :o

Howard

Howard

why not agree in advance with your father that you will pay that part of the bill?  I'm sure calling from home will be cheaper than calling from a pay phone

Written By: Bobby on 11/04/04 at 5:15 am

Then you would have to give me the first 3 digits in your home phone number and I'd call by payphone to see how much it costs for the next so and so minutes.

Howard

If you wish, Howard. Maybe I call you . . .

Written By: Howard on 11/04/04 at 8:19 pm

If you wish, Howard. Maybe I call you . . .

I would have to ask the person who's in charge of paying the phone bill..My Father ::)

We could talk for maybe a few minutes cause it is expensive to call from London UK.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/04/04 at 8:21 pm

Howard

why not agree in advance with your father that you will pay that part of the bill?  I'm sure calling from home will be cheaper than calling from a pay phone

We'll see.I don't like talking to my Father about it.He complains a lot so talking it over with My Mother is more calmer than he is. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/05/04 at 5:16 am

I would have to ask the person who's in charge of paying the phone bill..My Father ::)

We could talk for maybe a few minutes cause it is expensive to call from London UK.

Yes, but if I call you, your father doesn't pay the bill.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/04 at 3:34 pm

Yes, but if I call you, your father doesn't pay the bill.

Ok,We'll see about it.I'll let you know Bob. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...