inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Daylight Savings Time....like it or NOT!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 4:15 pm

I HATE it! WHY can't we just LEAVE them set at the "Spring Ahead"?? >:(

Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time....like it or NOT!

Written By: gemini61 on 10/31/04 at 4:19 pm

I chose hate it since I really don't like it, but it doesn't bother me that much. But, I do wonder if anyone else notices that the forum time isn't right? It's 21 minutes ahead of my time. Is it just me?

Written By: zcrito on 10/31/04 at 4:21 pm

I love it...
on the first day only.

I always forget and then get that extra hour surprise the next day. It's like a mini-Christmas!

But I hate the over all result of it now getting dark outside at 6pm.  :(

:)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/04 at 4:31 pm

I HATE it! WHY can't we just LEAVE them set at the "Spring Ahead"?? >:(

They convinced Jimmy Carter to do away with it during the energy crunch.  It resulted in a lot
of kids going to school in the early morning darkness, and people went wild.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 4:33 pm

I chose hate it since I really don't like it, but it doesn't bother me that much. But, I do wonder if anyone else notices that the forum time isn't right? It's 21 minutes ahead of my time. Is it just me?

I just wish they'd let everyone leave it at the Spring setting! As for the time difference with the forum....I don't mind as long as the board stays up! ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 4:34 pm

They convinced Jimmy Carter to do away with it during the energy crunch.  It resulted in a lot
I remember...but I also remember my kids getting home and having less than an hour before the sun went down  :-\\

Written By: gemini61 on 10/31/04 at 4:39 pm

I thought it was to conserve on energy. Then why would he have done away with it during the energy crunch?
That doesn't make much sense  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/04 at 4:46 pm

I have always hated it. It just makes things very confusing. So what is worse, having kids walk to school in the dark or having kids walking home in the dark?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 4:49 pm

I have always hated it. It just makes things very confusing. So what is worse, having kids walk to school in the dark or having kids walking home in the dark?  :-\\

Cat
Yes....and when you take into account all the after school things, that makes it even worse.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/31/04 at 5:32 pm

Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Savings time either.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 5:39 pm

Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Savings time either.
I found this and now I'm really confused!

No More Sunlight in Arizona and Hawaii

Arizona and Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and American Samoa are the only places in the U.S. that do not observe DST but instead stay on "standard time" all year long. And if you've spent any time in the sweltering summer sun in those regions you can understand why residents don't need another hour of sunlight.

Indiana's Unique Timekeeping

And then there is Indiana. You can get yourself in quite a mess when you ask "What time is it?" in parts of Indiana.

The Hoosier State's unique system for observing daylight time is rooted in its once farming-dominated economy. Farmers prefer early daylight to dry their fields and and an early sunset to end their work at a reasonable hour. But some residents think the reason Indiana is missing out on the high-tech boom is that companies are turned off by all the confusion

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/31/04 at 5:43 pm

Which may add some more fuel if (Republican Gubernatorial candidate) Mitch Daniels' political ads are to be believed. According to him (And a few sources), Indiana is the only state to LOSE high-tech jobs.  >:(
But some residents think the reason Indiana is missing out on the high-tech boom is that companies are turned off by all the confusion

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 5:44 pm

I chose 'like it' but I am not too bothered by it. In fact, it's great to have an extra hour in bed.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 6:17 pm

it's great to have an extra hour in bed.  :)
But everybody LOSES an hour come April ::)

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 6:21 pm

But everybody LOSES an hour come April ::)

Well, we've got to take the rough with the smooth sometimes, Mark.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 6:23 pm

And then there is Indiana. You can get yourself in quite a mess when you ask "What time is it?" in parts of Indiana.

The Hoosier State's unique system for observing daylight time is rooted in its once farming-dominated economy. Farmers prefer early daylight to dry their fields and and an early sunset to end their work at a reasonable hour. But some residents think the reason Indiana is missing out on the high-tech boom is that companies are turned off by all the confusion

I indeed live in the Hoosier State.  In most of the state (except for the northwest corner, which syncs its clocks to Chicago time), we do not change the clocks.  So in the summer, we are on Chicago Time.  In the winter, we are on New York Time.  :P  .

And guess what?  The trains still run, the crops get harvested, babies are born, and the cars still start.  I prefer the "do nothing" approach after having spent 39 years flipping my clock back and forth twice a year!  :)  .

Every couple of years, somebody in the Indiana Legistature who has an inferiority complex starts a movement to end the "medieval timekeeping practices" of our state.  And every time it gets resoundingly rejected.  8)  .

By the way... The South Bend and Elkhart Metropolitain area has the highest percentage of its workforce involved in manufacturing than ANY metro area in the United States!  Over 50% of our workforce is in maufacturing; the next closest metro area is at like 27%.

So people who say that Indiana "misses out on business" because of our time system are grossly misinformed.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/31/04 at 6:31 pm

I like it because of the extra hour of sleep...but it sucks getting dark so early.  I chose like it just because of the sleep.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/31/04 at 6:34 pm

it's a nuisance, i hate it...here in canada, the province of saskatchewan doesn't observe daylights savings time for the same reasons given for indiana.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 6:37 pm

I like it because of the extra hour of sleep...but it sucks getting dark so early.  I chose like it just because of the sleep.
But Dagny....you still lose that hour every April :-\\

Written By: AngeliK on 10/31/04 at 6:40 pm

I hate it because I always forget one clock and then I look at it and get all confused....I missed it last night though, was gonna stay up late seeing as I had the extra hour and I FELL ASLEEP  >:(
No winning is there!
Still, nice having the extra hour in bed. April's loss is a nightmare though...less sleep time is never good :P

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/04 at 6:51 pm

Well, we've got to take the rough with the smooth sometimes, Mark.  :)

;D ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 7:21 pm

;D ;)
Maybe I'll move to Hawaii, Indiana or Arizona :D ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 7:24 pm

RnRF...

Don;t move to Northwest Indiana.  They still change their clocks.  :D

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 7:25 pm

Lol.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 7:26 pm

Lol.  ;D
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 7:28 pm

RnRF...

Don;t move to Northwest Indiana.  They still change their clocks.  :D
If I ever do move there it'll be to Griffith, where Banasy lives :)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/31/04 at 7:35 pm

It feels like it's 9:00 right now but it's only 6:15.  Therefore I don't like it because it makes me very sleepy realy early.  But I do like it at times too.  I'm in-between :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 7:37 pm

Well, then you'll be changing your clock then.  :P

I used to live in Portage IN, about 5 miles from Griffith.

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 7:53 pm

I haven't seen Banasy on the boards for quite some time. Is she alright, Mark?

Sorry for going off-topic.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 8:04 pm

Well, then you'll be changing your clock then.   :P

I used to live in Portage IN, about 5 miles from Griffith.
How about Indianapolis?

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/31/04 at 8:06 pm

i voted for like..

i really enjoyed it this morning after being out late at a Halloween party(did i mention Jell-o shooters)..but dark at 5pm is rather sad

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 8:07 pm

I haven't seen Banasy on the boards for quite some time. Is she alright, Mark?

Sorry for going off-topic.
No Problem, Bobby :) I talked to her about a month ago and she's just been really busy :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 8:12 pm

How about Indianapolis?

Indianapolis does not change its clocks.  You're safe there.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 8:18 pm

No Problem, Bobby :) I talked to her about a month ago and she's just been really busy :D

That's good. Say an hello from the people of the board for us.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 8:31 pm

Now that Daylight Savings Time is over.The sun sets at 4:30pm-5pm.But,I don't mind.You just have to plan your day early in the morning,That's all!

speaking of time does anyone realize the clock next to your profile is 20 minutes fast? Did Chucky fix it yet? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 8:35 pm

Yes gemini I've noticed.Chucky must do something about it. :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 8:37 pm

i voted for like..

i really enjoyed it this morning after being out late at a Halloween party(did i mention Jell-o shooters)..but dark at 5pm is rather sad

I'm so used to wearing my sunglasses in the morning and when it reaches close to 5pm,I have to take them off! :(

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/04 at 9:02 pm

I've always liked it.  I don't mind the early darkness at all.  I especially liked the extra hour this morning.  I had a hangover! 
;D

I always find the return to Daylight Savings in April a sweet time of year.  I'd miss it if it went away.
I worked out the best solution for the Daylight vs. Standard time problem.  I'm just having trouble convincing the sun to stay up an extra hour, old Sol drives a hard bargain!

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 9:05 pm

I wonder who came up with Daylight Savings Time? I just don't like changing my clocks back and forth.It's so annoying. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 9:06 pm

That's good. Say an hello from the people of the board for us.  :)
I just talked to her and she says to say "Hello" to all of you as well! She says she WILL be back soon ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 9:08 pm

i voted for like..

Exactly why I don't like it! And again....you lose the hour of wonderful sleep in April anyway :-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 9:08 pm

But,now in the morning the sun will be up shortly! :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/04 at 4:50 am

I just talked to her and she says to say "Hello" to all of you as well! She says she WILL be back soon ;)

Yay.  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/04 at 2:56 pm

I'm in the minority (which is cool). I like the Fall Back. The kids in my apartment complex go in earlier, which creates a quiet environment. I know, call me a meanie!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/01/04 at 3:09 pm

I'm in the minority (which is cool). I like the Fall Back. The kids in my apartment complex go in earlier, which creates a quiet environment. I know, call me a meanie!

Tanya
Meanie!!  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/04 at 5:53 pm

Ha, Ha, Ha!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 11/01/04 at 8:42 pm

It just gets confusing in April and December.Why change it in the first place? I mean,you have to fix all of the clocks & watches and it gets crazy trying to remember which ones to set. ::)

Howard

Written By: Davester on 11/01/04 at 8:59 pm

Eh...I'm used to it, by now...

Written By: Marian on 11/01/04 at 9:29 pm

I love it...
on the first day only.

I always forget and then get that extra hour surprise the next day. It's like a mini-Christmas!

But I hate the over all result of it now getting dark outside at 6pm.  :(

:DThat's why I like it.It's not as dark in the morning,making it easier to get up.Plus you feel more cozy when it gets dark sometime before you go to bed.Cheers!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/01/04 at 10:25 pm

It just gets confusing in April and December.Why change it in the first place? I mean,you have to fix all of the clocks & watches and it gets crazy trying to remember which ones to set. ::)

Howard
EXACTLY ;)

Written By: zcrito on 11/02/04 at 12:14 am

Set it back. Set it forward. I don't mind. I would prefer that they set the time so that it stays light out until 11:30 pm or so every night year around.

Wouldn't that be great? Plenty of sunshine until midnight (just forget the morning darkness) ??

;D

Written By: karen on 11/02/04 at 11:04 am

I haven't voted because there wasn't a "don't care either way" option.  I don't actively 'like' changing the clocks but then I don't hate it either.

I always change my clock and watch before I go to bed.  Husband always changes them on the Sunday.  this year he went round the house with my daughter changing all the clocks- including mine!  Guess he didn't look at the actual time before he did it. ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 8:57 pm

Set it back. Set it forward. I don't mind. I would prefer that they set the time so that it stays light out until 11:30 pm or so every night year around.

Wouldn't that be great? Plenty of sunshine until midnight (just forget the morning darkness) ??

;D

Well,zcrito the sun can't be up all day.There has to be a time for which the sun sets like during the Autumn months,the time for which it sets is 5pm and during the Summer months,the time for which it sets is between 8-9pm. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 8:58 pm

Has anyone ever forgotten to set their clocks when it began or ended Daylight Savings Time?  ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/02/04 at 9:21 pm

Has anyone ever forgotten to set their clocks when it began or ended Daylight Savings Time?  ;D

Howard
I have intentially done it in the past because I HATE it SO much! I was late for work ONCE :D

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 9:42 pm

I'd like it to never be Daylight Savings Time.changing clocks are redundant. ::)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/02/04 at 10:37 pm

I'd like it to never be Daylight Savings Time.changing clocks are redundant. ::)

Howard
THAT is perfect, Howard ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 11/03/04 at 7:42 am

I don't like it but I'm used to it  :)

Written By: zcrito on 11/03/04 at 9:43 am

Well,zcrito the sun can't be up all day.There has to be a time for which the sun sets like during the Autumn months,the time for which it sets is 5pm and during the Summer months,the time for which it sets is between 8-9pm. :)

Howard

The local paper say sunrise is at 7:11am and sunset at 5:41pm.
A little over 10 hours of sunshine. No law that says those 10 hours can't be from noon till 10pm. Let's all just move our clocks up 5 hours.

Written By: karen on 11/03/04 at 10:09 am

A little over 10 hours of sunshine. No law that says those 10 hours can't be from noon till 10pm. Let's all just move our clocks up 5 hours.

Then I'd never get the kids in bed!  It's bad enough in the summer trying to convince them that it's bedtime even though it's still light.

Written By: joedeertae on 11/03/04 at 10:50 am

Don't like it! I work 12+ hours a day so I like to have lots-o-light for more than an hour when I get home in the evenings. :)
Although it does work out well for Halloween :D

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 8:23 pm

In my NYC paper,the sun comes up at about 6-7am and goes down at about 5pm.I really hate that cause by the time I get home I only have 2 hours of enjoying the sunshine. :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 8:25 pm

THAT is perfect, Howard ;)

Let's say for example there wasn't a Daylight Savings Time,then what would happen? ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/03/04 at 9:00 pm

;)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/04 at 8:39 pm

Well,we have another 6 more months till we change the clocks back once again. ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/04/04 at 9:32 pm

Well,we have another 6 more months till we change the clocks back once again. ;D

Howard
Yep...and then the same people that loved that extra Hour of sleep, will be pissed because they lose an hour...see? They should just leave it alone :)

Written By: Howard on 11/05/04 at 3:36 pm

Yep...and then the same people that loved that extra Hour of sleep, will be ticked because they lose an hour...see? They should just leave it alone :)

Ah,you lose an hour,gain an hour.Who can keep up with it anymore? :P

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/17/04 at 10:57 pm

I like that extra daylight in the spring and summer....I tend to get the blahs when the clocks go back.

Check for new replies or respond here...