inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scott Peterson found guilty!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 4:11 pm

Hell yeah!!!!  He will surely get the death penalty.  Hope you enjoy the gas chamber, Scott.

Subject: Re: Scott Peterson found guilty!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 4:13 pm

Found guilty of 1st degree murder for Laci Peterson, and found guilty of 2nd degree murder in case on the unborn fetus, Conner.  He has been convicted of at least one murder of the first degree.....GAS CHAMBER TIME!!

Again:

Guilty-
1st degree murder of wife
Guilty-
2nd degree murder of unborn son

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/12/04 at 4:17 pm

Well, it's about time a jury from the Western US made the right choice. And he'll probably just get a lethal injection if he does get the death penalty. But justice has been served.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/12/04 at 4:22 pm

Too bad this jury wasn't around for OJ >:( Other than that..I AM VERY HAPPY this little PUNK got his :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 4:22 pm

Well, it's about time a jury from the Western US made the right choice. And he'll probably just get a lethal injection if he does get the death penalty. But justice has been served.

The gas chamber is California's way of doing the death penalty, they are the only state that doesn't use lethal injection or the electric chair.

California can find someone guilty?  Who knew?

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/12/04 at 4:35 pm

I thought that liberal California would use lethal injection. That's okay with me, they can bring back the gallows for all I care.
And you would think Ohio at least have one execution since death became an option again. But they haven't. And they voted GW Bush back in???

The gas chamber is California's way of doing the death penalty, they are the only state that doesn't use lethal injection or the electric chair.

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 4:49 pm

How long has it been since California executed someone?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 4:59 pm

I am pretty sure (from memory) they did one in 1991.  They MAY have done one between then and now, not sure. 

I feel sorry for Fox News's Greta Van Sustern.  She has been talking about nothing but this case for nearly two years, she won't have a show after Scott gets sentenced to death.

Written By: Marian on 11/12/04 at 5:08 pm

:o
Found guilty of 1st degree murder for Laci Peterson, and found guilty of 2nd degree murder in case on the unborn fetus, Conner.  He has been convicted of at least one murder of the first degree.....GAS CHAMBER TIME!!

Again:

Guilty-
1st degree murder of wife
Guilty-
2nd degree murder of unborn son
I'm amazed,too.I woiuld say he's the most likely person to have done it,but it was circumstantial,and I believe at least some of the jury was open-minded.

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 5:11 pm

I am pretty sure (from memory) they did one in 1991.  They MAY have done one between then and now, not sure. 

I feel sorry for Fox News's Greta Van Sustern.  She has been talking about nothing but this case for nearly two years, she won't have a show after Scott gets sentenced to death.
A lot of these media twits won't have a LIFE after all of this is over, at least not until another homicide involving good-looking young white people takes place in California.

Written By: zcrito on 11/12/04 at 5:26 pm

;D ;D

There's always another obscure murder that happened somewhere they can turn into a ***crime of the century***. We just then need to find some lawyers that want to get their name and face on television all the time. Sound difficult?

Fox News really ran with that story.

:(

Written By: Davester on 11/12/04 at 5:36 pm

California's last execution was of Stephen Wayne Anderson in January 2002 convicted of first degree murder with circumstances...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 5:40 pm

California's last execution was of Stephen Wayne Anderson in January 2002 convicted of first degree murder with circumstances...

Wow!  Who knew, I would have stuck with 1991 one since it is California.  I guess California, though liberal, doesn't play.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 9:19 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/images/contracostatimes/cctimes/10167/103375025234.JPG

I'd like to see him electrocuded. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/12/04 at 9:59 pm

I prefer to see the Victim and not the Killer :P

RIP Laci

http://www.courttv.com/graphics/photos/trials/laci-peterson/photogallery/1-laci-052003.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 10:10 pm

If Laci was living in New York,I would've dated her but I'm no Scott Peterson.I guarantee you.

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/12/04 at 10:24 pm

If Laci was living in New York,I would've dated her but I'm no Scott Peterson.I guarantee you.

Howard
And I'd STILL rather see a picture of HER than that little punk >:(

Written By: Mushroom on 11/12/04 at 10:59 pm

Actually, California offers a choice, Gas CHamber or Lethal Injection.  If no choce is made, Lethal Injection is used by default.

Here is a list of California executions:

1-29-02    Stephen Anderson    Injection
3-27-01    Robert Lee Massie    Injection
3-15-00    Darrell Rich              Injection
5-04-99    Manuel Babbitt        Injection
2-09-99    Jaturun Siripongs      Injection
7-14-98    Thomas Thompson  Injection
5-31-96    Keith Williams          Injection
2-23-96    William Bonin            Injection
8-24-93    David Mason            Gas Chamber
4-21-92    Richard Alton Harris    Gas Chamber

I lived in California in 1986, when the voters removed California Chief Supreme Court Justice Rose Bird.  One of the largest reasons she was removed is that even though a new Death Penalty statute was passed in 1976, she never allowed ONE murderer to be executed.

Between 1976 and 1986, the California Supreme Court heard 61 appeals for people sentenced to death.  And in all 61 cases, they were granted.  Not one was ever refused.  When one "person" who was convicted of raping and murdering 3 women (mother, daughter and grandmother) had his death penalty conviction overturned, the voters had enough.  By a 2 to 1 majority, the voters of the state had her (and 2 other justices) recalled.

As a side note, California changed from Gas to Lethal Injection after the execution of Richard Alton Harris.  During a flury of last minute appeals, the 9th Circut Court of Appeals (or as we called them, the "9th Circus Court Of Appeals") granted every stay of execution.  The US Supreme Court would then immediately overturn it, then Harris' attorneys would make another appeal, and it would be granted, then overturned again.

The last one was a claim that the gas chamber was "cruel and inhumane".  While that may be true (I myself find that method revolting), the US Supreme Court said that that was a matter that should have been brought up years before, not at the last minute.  Then in a move which sent shockwaves through the system, they told the 9th Circut Court that they would not grant any more stays, and that the execution would be carried out.

And even Mr. Harris was probably relieved.  3 times he was strapped in the chair, only to be removed and taken back to a holding cell.  I am sure that that was probably even worse torture then the actual execution was.

Of course, Mr. Harris was a 3rd time violent offender.  He was on parole when he kidnapped, raped, then murdered 2 young men in 1984.  Personally, I do not have much pity for him.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/usexecute.htm

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/12/04 at 11:33 pm

I live in Southern CA and I know he'll get lethal jection, not any other options. Thankfully, he get his dose worth.

Tanya

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 3:42 am

Actually, California offers a choice, Gas CHamber or Lethal Injection.  If no choce is made, Lethal Injection is used by default.

No.  California's condemned are no longer offered the choice.  The lethal injection is the sole method of execution in California since the 9th Circuit's ruling in 1996.

I lived in California in 1986, when the voters removed California Chief Supreme Court Justice Rose Bird.  One of the largest reasons she was removed is that even though a new Death Penalty statute was passed in 1976, she never allowed ONE murderer to be executed.

Between 1976 and 1986, the California Supreme Court heard 61 appeals for people sentenced to death.  And in all 61 cases, they were granted.  Not one was ever refused.  When one "person" who was convicted of raping and murdering 3 women (mother, daughter and grandmother) had his death penalty conviction overturned, the voters had enough.  By a 2 to 1 majority, the voters of the state had her (and 2 other justices) recalled.

Are you saying these 61 condemned had their sentences overturned, or were their sentences commuted?  Also what was the basis for the appeals?

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 3:45 am

I must say that I'm quite shocked at the bloodlust coming from our liberals, here...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/13/04 at 9:37 am

very good to hear of a positive result in this court case - finally.

Meanwhile I am jealous of those living in states that allow the death penalty.  Its something Aus states desperately need to bring back.  Especially when you can be out on parole 2 years after killing someone.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/13/04 at 11:32 am

I must say that I'm quite shocked at the bloodlust coming from our liberals, here...

Bloodlust?  Or justice....

I still think California allows the gas chamber if a person asks for it, I read the ruling, it seems to me to be that way.  Though I don't know why anyone would choose the gas chamber over lethal injection (murderer wise.)

Brian, does your country not allow the death penalty at all?  Here in America (did this in another thread) 38 out of 50 states allow the death penalty (almost all use lethal injection, 4 states use the electric chair soley though many more states allow it, 3 states allow hanging, 3 states allow firing squad, and 5 states allow the gas chamber though hanging, firing squad, and gas chamber are rarely used today,) also the military and our federal government use lethal injection.  It is nice to know I live in a country where murderers get what they really deserve.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/04 at 4:58 pm

or maybe 100 years in prison? ???

Howard

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/13/04 at 5:14 pm

or maybe 100 years in prison? ???

Howard

Sure, if you want to let him off easy, and show other murderers that they can kill and avoid being killed.

Got to love The New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/img/animatedc.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 11/13/04 at 5:28 pm

No.  California's condemned are no longer offered the choice.  The lethal injection is the sole method of execution in California since the 9th Circuit's ruling in 1996.

Actually, the US Supreme Court vacated that decision in 1996.

Gomez v. Fierro, 519 U.S. 918 (1996) (vacating Ninth Circuit opinion declaring lethal gas unconstitutional, remanding in light of Cal. Penal Code § 3604 providing lethal injection as execution method unless inmate chooses death by lethal gas).

Inmates do have a choice.  In fact, some states give a choice between hanging and lethal injection.  In those states, inmates thought they found an interesting way to avoid the noose.  By becomming extremely fat, they are in danger of being decapitated (which is "cruel and unusual punishment").  There were several cases like this.  One of them, "Rupe v. Wood" and "Campbell v. Wood", was insturmental in changing this practice, allowing states to enforce Lethal Injection in these cases.

Are you saying these 61 condemned had their sentences overturned, or were their sentences commuted?  Also what was the basis for the appeals?

I stand corrected, they were commuted.  The point is, all of the appeals were commuted.  That is an incredible statistic.  If you were sentenced to Death in California prior to 1987 and made an appeal to the State Supreme Court, you had a 100% chance of having it commuted.  That in 61 cases none were denied was an incredible statistic.

http://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/web/sdocuments.nsf/0/539de28ef985f33d88256849006a1f53/$FILE/sec1_8.wpd

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/04 at 7:54 pm

I think this thread needs to be moved over to "Politics."
8)

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 8:03 pm

Bloodlust?  Or justice....

Bloodlust...

I still think California allows the gas chamber if a person asks for it, I read the ruling, it seems to me to be that way.  Though I don't know why anyone would choose the gas chamber over lethal injection (murderer wise.)

Lethal injection only.  The 9th Circuit shut San Quinten's gas chamber down which is rumored to be transformed into a Starbucks offering a wide variety of delicious, refreshing and lowfat treats...

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 8:12 pm

Actually, the US Supreme Court vacated that decision in 1996.

Gomez v. Fierro, 519 U.S. 918 (1996) (vacating Ninth Circuit opinion declaring lethal gas unconstitutional, remanding in light of Cal. Penal Code § 3604 providing lethal injection as execution method unless inmate chooses death by lethal gas).

Inmates do have a choice.  In fact, some states give a choice between hanging and lethal injection.  In those states, inmates thought they found an interesting way to avoid the noose.  By becomming extremely fat, they are in danger of being decapitated (which is "cruel and unusual punishment").  There were several cases like this.  One of them, "Rupe v. Wood" and "Campbell v. Wood", was insturmental in changing this practice, allowing states to enforce Lethal Injection in these cases.

Wait...you're right, I'm wrong.  The choice is still offered according to the Penal Code.  Slaverings of apologies...

Just wanted to add that the change in the California Penal Code allowing the choice does seem strangely similar to your Texas "flag burning" legislation, no..?

Written By: Bald_Rick on 11/13/04 at 11:25 pm

Personally, I am surprised at the outcome. I haven't been following things too closely, but from what was being said in the news summaries, I thought he was going to get off. I hope that this was a decision based on evidence and not feelings. If I was to believe news reports, then it wasn't. However, I also know that news reports and facts sometimes are mutually exclusive.

Peterson will never be executed. With the exception of NJ, California is one of the weakest states for upholding executions. It's not like Texas or Florida which don't only hand out the death penalty more frequently, but also see them through in most cases.

Too bad this jury wasn't around for OJ >:( Other than that..I AM VERY HAPPY this little PUNK got his :)

Not to take too big of a tangent, sadly, I think the "right choice" was made for OJ (And I followed that case closely). Personal feelings aside, my reaction after prosecution rested, my feeling was they proved nothing. Prosecutors totally blew the case, though some of Ito's decisions didn't help.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/04 at 2:40 pm

Glad that he is found guilty, but what will Court TV and tabloid newspapers do in the mean time?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/04 at 2:53 pm

Glad that he is found guilty, but what will Court TV and tabloid newspapers do in the mean time?

Oh, there's undoubtedly another Scott Peterson just around the corner!

Check for new replies or respond here...