inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap Artist Ol' Dirty B@stard Dies In Studio

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/13/04 at 11:34 pm

I've never been a fan of rap or O. D. B., but his death is truly bizzare.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041114/ap_on_en_mu/obit_odb

Subject: Re: Rap Artist Dirty Ol' B@stard Dies In Studio

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/14/04 at 1:01 am

I was a fan. It's shocking to say the least, though.

Tanya

Subject: Re: Rap Artist Ol' Dirty B@stard Dies In Studio

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/04 at 2:56 pm

Now he's just "Over Dosed Bast@rd, or "Obviously Dead Bast*rd."  I hate to sound so callous, but I think the world is slightly better off without his services!

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/04 at 3:47 pm

I've never been a fan of rap or O. D. B., but his death is truly bizzare.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041114/ap_on_en_mu/obit_odb

Why bizarre, IndyGent?

The deceased was a notorious drug abuser (at least in the past) and died from what appears to be a heart attack (autopsy to follow).  That's a fairly standard progression for a drug user.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/15/04 at 4:23 pm

It was only bizarre that it happened while he was working on an album. It just seem timely. If drugs did kill him, it won't be the first time rappers have succumbed to drug-induced heart attacks.

Why bizarre, IndyGent?

The deceased was a notorious drug abuser (at least in the past) and died from what appears to be a heart attack (autopsy to follow).  That's a fairly standard progression for a drug user.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/04 at 8:36 pm

Weird.... directly after Rick James' death too...  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 8:45 pm

I was never a fan of his music but he took a lot of drugs and alcohol and got into fights all the time. ::)

Howard

Written By: Lazy Jessica on 11/15/04 at 10:04 pm

I'm pretty appalled by the comments on here. Everyone acts like he's the only artist to ever do drugs/be a troublemaker because (oh dear god no) he rapped. Shockingly enough it has happened with other artists out there who aren't rappers. Dare I bring up Sid Vicious and his arrest and death? Should I bring up the incident at the MTV VMA's where a Rage Against the Machine member climbed up some scenery? How about Ozzy's pigeon stunt? Does the name Kurt Cobain ring a bell? Look back through some of the music genres you listen to and I guarantee you'll find a fair amount of drug use and troublemaking (unless you listen to Christian music, although I can't vouch for their innocence :P).

Written By: Mr. X on 11/15/04 at 10:12 pm

I think today would have been his birthday.

Written By: woops on 11/15/04 at 10:42 pm

I'm pretty appalled by the comments on here. Everyone acts like he's the only artist to ever do drugs/be a troublemaker because (oh dear god no) he rapped. Shockingly enough it has happened with other artists out there who aren't rappers. Dare I bring up Sid Vicious and his arrest and death? Should I bring up the incident at the MTV VMA's where a Rage Against the Machine member climbed up some scenery? How about Ozzy's pigeon stunt? Does the name Kurt Cobain ring a bell? Look back through some of the music genres you listen to and I guarantee you'll find a fair amount of drug use and troublemaking (unless you listen to Christian music, although I can't vouch for their innocence :P).

Ditto.

I think the main reason is that most people here dislike rap or not into the genre. And therefore is a target of ridicule like Britney Spears or Madonna.  :P

There's many, like myself, that like this genre, but only from certain sub genres or eras.
(I'm more into oldschool rap from the '80's & early '90's...minus most of the hard core/gangsta rap)

Like if I went on a Wu Tang Clan fan board and posted news about Duran Duran reunited or something, it'll mostly  get negative responses.

I'm actaully shocked that MTV, MTV2 . & BET didn't air any Wu Tang Clan or O.D.B. videos.  :P

Just a two minute news segment like they did to Layne Stanely & Joe Strummer.

Though Jam Master Jay, Aaliyah, & Left Eye had a tribute (videos & specials aired) when they passed on.

He'll be missed by family, friends, artists, and fans.  :\'(

Written By: zcrito on 11/16/04 at 12:34 am

Ditto.

I think the main reason is that most people here dislike rap or not into the genre. And therefore is a target of ridicule like Britney Spears or Madonna.  :P

There's many, like myself, that like this genre, but only from certain sub genres or eras.
(I'm more into oldschool rap from the '80's & early '90's...minus most of the hard core/gangsta rap)

Like if I went on a Wu Tang Clan fan board and posted news about Duran Duran reunited or something, it'll mostly  get negative responses.

I'm actaully shocked that MTV, MTV2 . & BET didn't air any Wu Tang Clan or O.D.B. videos.  :P

Just a two minute news segment like they did to Layne Stanely & Joe Strummer.

Though Jam Master Jay, Aaliyah, & Left Eye had a tribute (videos & specials aired) when they passed on.

He'll be missed by family, friends, artists, and fans.  :\'(

I'll ditto your ditto, but just don't call me a ditto-head.  ;)

I remember and kinda like his "Got Your Money" song

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004GOYV/qid=1100580959/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1453334-6829622?v=glance&s=music

If his death was due to drugs, what can I say. I'll never understand the attraction some people have toward drugs.

:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/16/04 at 1:21 am

I hear your dittos! Thanks, woops, for your clear observation!

Tanya

Written By: goodsin on 11/16/04 at 3:16 am

:\'( I'm sorry he's dead. Yeah, he may not have been a role model but he did give a lot of us pleasure. Anyone remember 'Ghetto Superstar' with Pras & Mya? ODB was the guy who alternately sounded like he was drowning & vomiting in the background, very memorable IMHO...

Written By: zcrito on 11/16/04 at 12:07 pm

ODB was the guy who alternately sounded like he was drowning & vomiting in the background, very memorable IMHO...

??? ::) ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/16/04 at 5:57 pm

Rap and rock (whether punk, hard rock or 60s rock) are the two genres of music where drug dealings and overdoses are commonplace. When was the last time you hear of country star O.D.ing. And don't bring up Glen Campbell, because he didn't die from his drug stint.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/04 at 6:02 pm

I had read somewhere that he owned 13 kids.Where in the hell does he have time to put with them? :o

Howard

Written By: Jessica on 11/16/04 at 9:08 pm

Rap and rock (whether punk, hard rock or 60s rock) are the two genres of music where drug dealings and overdoses are commonplace. When was the last time you hear of country star O.D.ing. And don't bring up Glen Campbell, because he didn't die from his drug stint.

Where did you get that he died of an overdose? The coroner's report won't be back for a few days. Until then, nobody knows what really happened. ::)

I wasn't just talking about OD's either. I'm annoyed that everyone thinks that rappers cause so much trouble and do so many drugs, yet you can find examples all over the place, EVEN country music.

I had read somewhere that he owned 13 kids.Where in the hell does he have time to put with them? :o

Howard

Does that matter? My grandmother had 14 kids.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/17/04 at 1:27 am

I know there are country music people that do drugs, but my point is that the artists don't brag about it in public, that they are actually ashamed of it. Not all rap or rock artists are drug addicts, but they are the ones that get most of the publicity.  :(

Where did you get that he died of an overdose? The coroner's report won't be back for a few days. Until then, nobody knows what really happened. ::)

I wasn't just talking about OD's either. I'm annoyed that everyone thinks that rappers cause so much trouble and do so many drugs, yet you can find examples all over the place, EVEN country music.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/04 at 2:06 am

Sometimes a 36-year-old man just drops dead of a congenital heart defect.  So I really should wait for the coroner's report before I jump to conclusions.
::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/17/04 at 11:12 am

Okay, they I'll jump to all the conclusions and see if I fall flat on my face.  ;D
Sometimes a 36-year-old man just drops dead of a congenital heart defect.  So I really should wait for the coroner's report before I jump to conclusions.
::)

Written By: elefanten on 11/17/04 at 12:27 pm

I love the Ol' Dirty song, where he sings 'My name is Ol Dirty Ba$tard, and i am a alcoholic' and then he goes 'ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/04 at 2:23 pm

I just remember living in this ghetto-ized apartment complex back in the summer of '95 and hearing the little kids singing ODB "I like it raw..."  I couldn't figure out whether it was worse for them to know what the lyrics meant or not!
:P

Jessica wrote:
Yeah, but there's a difference. A BIG difference!  ODB had 13 kids by about eight different women.  One time he made a show of taking the whole lot of them in a limo down to the welfare office to collect food stamps...and he got them! 
Another time ODB got busted for stealing a pair of sneakers.  At that time he and Wu Tang were riding high and ODB could have bought the whole store, but why pay when you can just steal, right?

Written By: Cheetara on 11/24/04 at 2:35 pm

I was a fan.  MY heart goes out to his family and Wu Tang Clan. 

RIP  ODB

Written By: Howard on 11/24/04 at 6:51 pm

I read it somewhere that he never bathed for 5 days. :P

If he had bathed,he would've been called Ol' Clean Bastard. ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...