inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Call 800 # to Page a Prayer for 15 yr/old Rebekah fighting a rare form of cancer

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/04 at 4:18 pm

Rebekah Tauber is a 15 year old from Houston who is presently undergoing cancer treatment. Rebekah has a rare form of cancer but is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy at the University of Texas' MD Anderson Cancer Center.
She is a fierce Christian who attends Memorial High School. Rebekah is wearing a "prayer pager" (1-800-250-6939) that is being sponsored by Second Baptist Church in Houston.
Please take a minute out of your busy day to say a quick prayer for Rebekah, her family and her doctors asking for God's guiding hand to be with them through this ordeal and then call the toll free number (1-800-250-6939). It will vibrate letting Rebekah know that someone has prayed on her behalf.

Feel free to pass this email on and thanks for your support and prayers.

Call.... it just takes a second or two!

Those who do choose to page Rebekah at 1-800-250-6939 to tell her prayers are being offered up on her behalf will be greeted by this message:

""You have reached the Second Baptist Church prayer pager for Rebekah Tauber. At the tone please enter your five-digit zip code followed by the # sign and Rebekah's pager will go off. Rebekah will know she's been prayed for by you. Thank you and God bless.
Barbara "rebeckoned" Mikkelson""

--And for those who may think this is a scam or fake, read the following link: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/children/tauber.asp

-Please don't spread any religious hate in this thread, just call the little girl and let her know you care.

Subject: Re: Call 800 # to Page a Prayer for 15 yr/old Rebekah fighting a rare form of cancer

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/15/04 at 4:21 pm

I don't have a pager, but my heart and prayers go out to Rebekah. :\'(

Subject: Re: Call 800 # to Page a Prayer for 15 yr/old Rebekah fighting a rare form of cancer

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/04 at 4:25 pm

Done...  :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/04 at 4:26 pm

I don't have a pager, but my heart and prayers go out to Rebekah. :\'(

You don't need one, just dial the 1-800 number, listen to the woman, dial in your 5 digit ZIP code (to let them know where the page is coming from,) wait for the soft-sounding beeps to stop, and then hang up.  Simple and free, and she knows someone else cares.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 9:01 pm

I think it's all a scam. ::)

Howard

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/04 at 9:32 pm

I think it's all a scam. ::)

Howard

I hope you're joking.  This is from snopes, an urban legend reference page with, with independent studies, deems an urban ''legend'' true or false.

From scopes:

Claim:  15-year-old cancer sufferer Rebekah Tauber requests calls to her prayer pager.

Examples: 

Rebekah Tauber is a 15 year old from Houston who is presently undergoing cancer treatment. She is a fierce Christian who attends Memorial High School. Rebekah is wearing a "prayer pager" (1-800-250-6939) that is being sponsored by Second Baptist Church in Houston.

Please take a minute out of your busy day to say a quick prayer for Rebekah, her family and her doctors asking for God's guiding hand to be with them through this ordeal and then call the toll free number (1-800-250-6939). It will vibrate letting Rebekah know that someone has prayed on her behalf.

Feel free to pass this email on and thanks for your support and prayers.

Call.... it just takes a second or two! 

Origins:  Many of the Internet-circulated appeals made in the names of unwell children are naught but mean attempts to provoke the good-hearted into clogging the inboxes of those like themselves as they unknowingly spread false pleas to their friends, family members, and co-workers. But that is not the case with this supplication — it is truly on the up-and-up, as the folks at Second Baptist Church in Houston confirmed when we asked them about it on 9 November 2004. 

Of the prayer request for Rebekah Tauber, they say "It's legit." 15-year-old Rebekah has a rare form of cancer but is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy at the University of Texas' MD Anderson Cancer Center.

The prayer pager program is so recent an innovation for Second Baptist that information about it has yet to be reflected on its web site. At the moment, there are five people carrying such pagers, three adults and two children. The pastor at Second Baptist gained the idea from an e-mailed prayer request for an afflicted child elsewhere in the country — that solicitation for calls to a prayer pager carried by the youngster sparked the desire to try such a program in Houston.

We'd like to say it was the Joe William Sheffield appeal that inspired Second Baptist to try its hand at such an endeavor, but alas it was not — the prayer pager request was for a little girl.

Those who do choose to page Rebekah at 1-800-250-6939 to tell her prayers are being offered up on her behalf will be greeted by this message:
You have reached the Second Baptist Church prayer pager for Rebekah Tauber. At the tone please enter your five-digit zip code followed by the # sign and Rebekah's pager will go off. Rebekah will know she's been prayed for by you. Thank you and God bless.
Barbara "rebeckoned" Mikkelson

Last updated:  9 November 2004

Again, link to article: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/children/tauber.asp

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 9:46 pm

Wow,GW I guess I was convinced that was a real hotline.I'm sorry I doubted you. :-[

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/04 at 11:01 am

Well, I had a flip remark to make regarding health care and prayer, but a 15-year-old suffering from cancer is no joke.  I hope medicine and the prayers save Rebekah.
:\'(

Written By: Marian on 11/16/04 at 3:41 pm

:-\\There's a gvuy who had cnacer when he was a boy and he had a well-pu blicized wish to recceive a world record number of postcards.He recovered,and I think he may still be geting cards.he was in the paper a bouut a decade ago saying,please,no more cards.Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 11/16/04 at 6:19 pm

I didn't even know that was a real hotline.I thought it was just a girl who's trying to get money out of people so she can fake a cancer or something. :-\\

Howard

Subject: Re: Call 800 # to Page a Prayer for 15 yr/old Rebekah fighting a rare form of ca

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/16/04 at 6:30 pm

I wouldn't really trust anything online that sounds like solicitation, "true" or not.
I'm actually glad that I don't have a credit card to use on the internet sometimes.
I do my own saving anyway, I give blood every two or three months.

Check for new replies or respond here...