inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBA's Ron Artest starts is rap career gangsta style

Written By: joedeertae on 11/20/04 at 11:13 am

This is rediculous. This guy should be heavily fined and taken out of basketball.
Links goes to story of last nights brawl.

http://tinyurl.com/6r9gc

Subject: Re: NBA's Ron Artest starts is rap career gangsta style

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/04 at 11:48 am

This is rediculous. This guy should be heavily fined and taken out of basketball.
Links goes to story of last nights brawl.

http://tinyurl.com/6r9gc

He wasn't the only player slugging it out in the stands though.

My opinion?  ANY of the ath-a-letes who were fighting with fans should be summarily fired and banned from the NBA for life.  This would get the message out, to the animals who are trying to ruin the sport, that this conduct will not be tolerated.

I'd do the same thing in the other sports, like that baseball player who threw a chair into the stands a few months ago.

Written By: joedeertae on 11/21/04 at 7:53 pm

He wasn't the only player slugging it out in the stands though.

My opinion?  ANY of the ath-a-letes who were fighting with fans should be summarily fired and banned from the NBA for life.  This would get the message out, to the animals who are trying to ruin the sport, that this conduct will not be tolerated.

I'd do the same thing in the other sports, like that baseball player who threw a chair into the stands a few months ago.

Absolutely 100% agree LyricBoy there is no reason for those overpaid arrogant bastiches to be in the stands fighting with the fans. >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/21/04 at 9:19 pm

Here are the results of Friday's game: :-[

Ron Artest (Pacers): Out for Season
Jermaine O'Neal (Pacers): Susp. 25 games
Stephen Jackson (Pacers): Susp. 30 Games
Ben Wallace (Pistons): Susp. 6 Games
Anthony Johnson (Pacers, currently on IR): Susp. 5 Games

Reggie Miller (Pacers-currently on IR), and Pistons' Chauncey Billups, Eldin Campbell, and Derrick Coleman were suspended 1 game each for leaving the bench.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/21/04 at 9:25 pm

Definitely, Tanya! The fans that wlked on to the court should be reprimanded at the very least. >:(
What about the fans? Quite frankly, they added fuel to a fire that had nothing to do with them. I saw it live and the fans ddefinitely added to the drama. Since when are fans permitted to walk onto the court?

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/21/04 at 9:26 pm

Did you catch the fans that were punching as well? No one's hands are clean in this one. My heart broke for the little boy that was crying as another hugged him and comforted him.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/21/04 at 9:27 pm

Here are the results of Friday's game: :-Now Ron can devote time to his Rap CD  :D Before you get upset with me Indy...I wrote how I feel about this in the NBA thread :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/21/04 at 9:29 pm

He'll have nightmares about his ex-heroes for months and years. :\'(

Did you catch the fans that were punching as well? No one's hands are clean in this one. My heart broke for the little boy that was crying as another hugged him and comforted him.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/21/04 at 9:30 pm

Tanya
Artest laid on the table and then that stupid fan threw a beer on him....this all sucked >:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/21/04 at 9:32 pm

He might need counseling (the little boy). Hopefully, he won't fear public crowds or anything. It makes me afraid to take my son to a ballgame! I know I may get flamed for this, but beer sales should be banned. I think the beer added more heart to the fans this time around.

Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/21/04 at 9:38 pm

I'm not upset, Rock. In fact, I was thinking the same thing. The man obviously gets too upset when things don't go his way, and I think he deserves the rest of the season off to think about what he and his teammates have done. I believe if Carlisle sat out Artest and his starters instead of leaving him on with 43 seconds left, none of this would have happened. But whoever is left to play for Indiana, I wish them good luck even though the playoffs (or at least the top seeds) seem unlikely. :(

Now Ron can devote time to his Rap CD  :D Before you get upset with me Indy...I wrote how I feel about this in the NBA thread :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/21/04 at 9:41 pm

What about the fans? Quite frankly, they added fuel to a fire that had nothing to do with them. I saw it live and the fans ddefinitely added to the drama. Since when are fans permitted to walk onto the court?

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/21/04 at 10:44 pm

He might need counseling (the little boy). Hopefully, he won't fear public crowds or anything. It makes me afraid to take my son to a ballgame! I know I may get flamed for this, but beer sales should be banned. I think the beer added more heart to the fans this time around.

Tanya

I am not upset with you at ALL. I think it begins with the owners who pay WAY too much money to the players who in turn, MOST of them, play with such cavalier attitudes and NO sportsmanship >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/04 at 10:53 pm

It supposed to a clean, fun, basketball game... not a fighting match!  >:(

Written By: zcrito on 11/21/04 at 11:02 pm

Let's see, what would happen to anyone working at any other job if they broke out into a fight with another employee or with a customer...

a. They would be suspended.
b. They would be fired.
c. They would be laid off.
d. They would be laid off then fired.

If you picked (a) then you probably work for the NBA. ::)
If you picked (b),(c), or (d) you obviously work in the real world. In the real world you'd carefully update your resume and know you'd never work at that place again and would probably have trouble finding work again, and...

:(

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/22/04 at 5:27 am

Tanya

He shouldn't have been on the court, but he didn't deserve to get brutally clocked in the face either by the 6'11 Jermaine O'Neal.  How strong are those NBA guys?  I don't want to know how much they can curl.  The smallest of them is about 6'4.  NBA players could easily kill a guy with a punch.

Ron Artest didn't even get the right guy.  Artest went right past the guilty guy that threw the cup of beer and instead he started beating up on an innocent man in the stands 

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/22/04 at 9:12 am

Except I think the Federal government would pick A, if anything, since they suspend someone for 1 week or one day (but first they give you a verbal warning, then a letter of discipline.) Another entity with too many millionaires doing nothing but fighting (but at least it's only verbal).::)
Let's see, what would happen to anyone working at any other job if they broke out into a fight with another employee or with a customer...

a. They would be suspended.
b. They would be fired.
c. They would be laid off.
d. They would be laid off then fired.

If you picked (a) then you probably work for the NBA. ::)
If you picked (b),(c), or (d) you obviously work in the real world. In the real world you'd carefully update your resume and know you'd never work at that place again and would probably have trouble finding work again, and...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/22/04 at 1:08 pm

He shouldn't have been on the court, but he didn't deserve to get brutally clocked in the face either by the 6'11 Jermaine O'Neal.  How strong are those NBA guys?  I don't want to know how much they can curl.  The smallest of them is about 6'4.  NBA players could easily kill a guy with a punch.

Ron Artest didn't even get the right guy.  Artest went right past the guilty guy that threw the cup of beer and instead he started beating up on an innocent man in the stands 
I agree he was wrong and should be punished...but remember that Latrell Spreewell only was suspended for 68 games for attempted murder on his coach >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/22/04 at 2:12 pm

Agree with you, Mark. Someone named Jack Salinas of the Fort Wayne Pistons received a lifetime ban for gambling, and Pete Rose is now eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame after "apologizing" for gambling on the team he was managing for (the Reds). Does that make any sense?

I agree he was wrong and should be punished...but remember that Latrell Spreewell only was suspended for 68 games for attempted murder on his coach >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/04 at 5:12 pm

So I guess now they can go play for the NHL ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/22/04 at 8:15 pm

So I guess now they can go play for the NHL ::)
What is this NHL you speak ofhttp://elouai.com/images/yahoo/06.gif

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/22/04 at 8:30 pm

Not Happy Losers :D

What is this NHL you speak ofhttp://elouai.com/images/yahoo/06.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/22/04 at 8:55 pm

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/22/04 at 8:56 pm

I think THIS says it all!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/04 at 3:24 pm

Being from Boston, I was around when Derek Sanderson threw his firstt punch on the ice
knocking down team member Bobby Orr.  The fights he started are still going on, and now
we have hockey dads and moms murdering each other.  I think that unless the NBA holds firm
you will see the same thing in basketball.  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/04 at 6:34 pm

What's this guy's problem?  For six mil a year I'd let people throw drinks on me all day!
;D

Written By: zcrito on 11/23/04 at 7:11 pm

What's this guy's problem?  For six mil a year I'd let people throw drinks on me all day!
;D

;D ;D ;D

What's sad is how that stacks up against the other 99.99% of people on this planet and what they make.

If you work from the time you are 25-years-old until you are 65, and make $100,000 per year, and remember that's 40 years of work** and people telling you what to do and when and if you can take a vacation every year (and how many people are going to be lucky enough to make 100K a year?!?), after those long 40 years you will have made...

$4 million dollars. Not 4 billion or 4 gazillion, but 4 million, and after taxes - 3 million. Those guys make that in 6 months.

What you said sums it up rather well, Max.
:)

** and unemployment time.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/23/04 at 7:33 pm

Maybe Artest is allergic to beer. :D
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/04 at 1:25 am

;D ;D ;D

What's sad is how that stacks up against the other 99.99% of people on this planet and what they make.

If you work from the time you are 25-years-old until you are 65, and make $100,000 per year, and remember that's 40 years of work** and people telling you what to do and when and if you can take a vacation every year (and how many people are going to be lucky enough to make 100K a year?!?), after those long 40 years you will have made...

$4 million dollars. Not 4 billion or 4 gazillion, but 4 million, and after taxes - 3 million. Those guys make that in 6 months.

What you said sums it up rather well, Max.
:)

** and unemployment time.

That's the problem with entertainers as sports superstars having such inflated salaries.  They lose touch with reality.  They get this huge arrogance and sense of entitlement.  I hope the loss of five of six million will shake Artest back into the real world.
I don't expect anyone to like being heckled and pelted with beverages, but the pro-sports associations have to make it clear that you don't charge into the stands.  Let security bring the a-hole down to the floor so Artest can belt him a few times!
;)

$6 million seems like a lot of money--and it is--but a lot of these athletes are not financial wizards.  Mike Tyson netted something like $200 million in his career and managed to go bankrupt.  How smart is that?
::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/24/04 at 9:41 am

Every public appearance Artest makes will add a further scar to the Pacers' organization. The Pacer fans (as opposed to Artest fans) will not tolerate this preening and public nuisance. If justice is to prevail, he'll have to be traded to another team and/or sustain a career ending injury. I'll settle for him playing for the Knicks, where they appreciate and celebrate the thug mentality. >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/04 at 10:46 am

As for the idea of starting a rap career... can you say ummmmmm... Shaq?  ::)  ;D

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/shaq_fu.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/24/04 at 6:53 pm

As for the idea of starting a rap career... can you say ummmmmm... Shaq?  ::)  ;D

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/shaq_fu.jpg

What was that video he was in? ???

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/04 at 7:01 pm

What was that video he was in? ???

Howard

Nope... unforuntaly it was a CD, he has also had an "acting" career as well!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/24/04 at 7:05 pm

Nope... unforuntaly it was a CD, he has also had an "acting" career as well!  ::)  ;D

Yes he was in a video in 1988.It also had a bunch of black people in it as well.

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/04 at 7:40 pm

"What's your favorite scary movie?"
"Kazaam... it has Shaq as a genie in it!"  ::)  ;D

Shaq's "acting" career.....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641944/

http://www.advantage-designs.biz/VidBoxSlideShow/MoviesDonMade/Kazaam-frnt.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/24/04 at 7:53 pm

;D
;D

Written By: Howard on 11/24/04 at 8:08 pm

"What's your favorite scary movie?"
"Kazaam... it has Shaq as a genie in it!"  ::)  ;D

Shaq's "acting" career.....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641944/

http://www.advantage-designs.biz/VidBoxSlideShow/MoviesDonMade/Kazaam-frnt.jpg

That was a dumb movie. :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/04 at 9:12 pm

What about Steel? And don't me startered on Dennis Rodman's "film career" either...  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...