inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anime Poll

Written By: woops on 11/21/04 at 11:57 pm

Since it's very popular, I started a poll.  8) 

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this genre. But I'll leave this for  the fans.  :)

Subject: Re: Anime Poll

Written By: woops on 11/22/04 at 4:11 am

Oh, does anybody know the difference between anime' & regular animation (hand drawn, flash)?

Just curious.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/22/04 at 7:18 am

It's a minor technicality - usually, "anime" is considered to be Japanese Animation. That's all.

For instance, Cartoon Network's new show Hi Hi Puffy Puffy (or whatever  ::) ) stars the Japanese singing duo Puffy AmiYumi (not their real voices), but because it was made in the USA, everyone considers it USA-animation.

I haven't seen all the shows on that list, but I'd have to say Lupin III, followed by Astro Boy and Cowboy Bebop - the first and last ones purely on the basis of specific movie versions (Castle Of Cagliostro was the first feature film directed by MIYAZAKI Hayao, who also directed the Oscar-winning Spirited Away, while there was a move version of Cowby Bebop called Knockin' On Heaven's Door - btw, I think they had to remove the secondary name of that one from the non-Japanese releases, to avoid visits from Bob Dylan's lawyers).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/22/04 at 8:26 am

From the list "Astro Boy"

Also from that same period :

"Marine Boy" and "Prince Planet"

More modern animation leaves me somewhat cold..... :(

Written By: mandamoo on 11/23/04 at 5:30 am

From the list "Astro Boy"

Also from that same period :

"Marine Boy" and "Prince Planet"

More modern animation leaves me somewhat cold..... :(

I remember those and I tend to agree with you :)

As an aside, I've also heard Kimba the White Lion referred to as an 'anime' style cartoon  ???

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/23/04 at 6:18 am

Well, it *is* anime!

The creator was TEZUKA Osamu, the same guy who created Astro Boy!  8) (Of course the original title translates to something like "Jungle Emperor")

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/23/04 at 9:29 am

I like Sailor Moon, Dirty Pair, Dirty Pair Flash and the movie Metropolis. Yeah, I know they aren't the deep, dark serious anime that's popular with people, but I'm not a fan of dark serious anime. I like light, stupid and silly anime. 

I'm waiting for Tokyo Mew Mew to premiere on the Fox Box. It looks so cute!

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/23/04 at 6:59 pm

I wouldn't call Metropolis "stupid and silly" :)

Edit: Need I mention that it was also another Tezuka work?  8)

Written By: woops on 11/24/04 at 12:42 am

It's a minor technicality - usually, "anime" is considered to be Japanese Animation. That's all.

For instance, Cartoon Network's new show Hi Hi Puffy Puffy (or whatever  ::) ) stars the Japanese singing duo Puffy AmiYumi (not their real voices), but because it was made in the USA, everyone considers it USA-animation.

I haven't seen all the shows on that list, but I'd have to say Lupin III, followed by Astro Boy and Cowboy Bebop - the first and last ones purely on the basis of specific movie versions (Castle Of Cagliostro was the first feature film directed by MIYAZAKI Hayao, who also directed the Oscar-winning Spirited Away, while there was a move version of Cowby Bebop called Knockin' On Heaven's Door - btw, I think they had to remove the secondary name of that one from the non-Japanese releases, to avoid visits from Bob Dylan's lawyers).

And some U.S. shows like Teen Titans & Megas XLK have some anime' inspired artwork.  :) Though not anime.

Speaking of name changes... When I first heard the name "Puffy...", the rapper came into mind. Though both of their music (the rapper P. Diddy...whatever his name is... & the Japanese pop act Puffy Ami Yumi) are awful, IMO.  :P

BTW, for those who don't know, Puffy Ami Yumi is a  bubblegum pop act, popular in Japan,  who provided the theme song for "Teen Titans". 

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/25/04 at 7:14 pm

Sean "Puffy" "Puff Daddy" P.Diddy" Coombes...

Written By: Lanie on 11/25/04 at 7:24 pm

InuYasha 8)
Other:
Chobits
Full Metal Panic!

Check for new replies or respond here...