inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Another star has named their children...

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 11/28/04 at 6:54 pm

kinda badly.  Okay...IN MY OPINION.

Do any of them THINK about what they are doing to their kids??  :-A magazine spokeswoman said Roberts, 37, gave birth about 3 a.m. PST (6 a.m. EST) to Phinnaeus Walter and Hazel Patricia.

A spokeswoman for the star did not return phone calls.

Roberts, who won an Oscar for her role in "Erin Brockovich," married the twins' father, cameraman Danny Moder, 35, in 2002 on Roberts' ranch in Taos, New Mexico.

The two had been splitting their time between homes in Taos, New York, and the Los Angeles area.

The actress was hospitalized late last month after experiencing early contractions. Doctors advised her to remain on bed rest until she gave birth.

Roberts, who has starred in scores of films including "Pretty Woman" and "My Best Friend's Wedding," will appear in two films opening next month: "Ocean's Twelve," with George Clooney and Brad Pitt, and "Closer," directed by Mike Nichols.

Roberts, who has no other children, was married to country music star Lyle Lovett from 1993 to 1995.

I mean, congrats to them, obviously..but why such odd names?  Seriously?  I understand they could be named "after" someone in their families..but can you imagine living with names like that? 
Oh well, to each their own.  Some may hate my kids names too.  ??? 

Subject: Re: Another star has named their children...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/28/04 at 7:37 pm

Hazel is not such a bad name, but I don't know about Phinnaeus.  ???

Written By: Wolveroses on 11/28/04 at 8:01 pm

There's really nothing wrong with names that are different, that just goes to show you how closed-minded some people are.  Kids will be kids, but adults should know better.  Me on the other hand, my son's name is Alejandro, that's Alexander in spanish.  I wanted a name that was different but not out of this world.  I also wanted Santiago or Mathias.  But I also like Isaac and Serena for a girl.  I didn't want no plaing names like John, Jeff, or Mike.  Not to diss anyone's name.  But names like that are too common.  My girlfreind wanted to name him after me, but I didn't want to.  My name is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too common, it's Matt.  In fact, the group I'm in, DGWP, there's another person named Matt.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 8:53 pm

Phinneaus Walter Roberts? :o ;D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/04 at 9:11 pm

There's really nothing wrong with names that are different, that just goes to show you how closed-minded some people are.  Kids will be kids, but adults should know better.  Me on the other hand, my son's name is Alejandro, that's Alexander in spanish.  I wanted a name that was different but not out of this world.  I also wanted Santiago or Mathias.  But I also like Isaac and Serena for a girl.  I didn't want no plaing names like John, Jeff, or Mike.  Not to diss anyone's name.   But names like that are too common.  My girlfreind wanted to name him after me, but I didn't want to.  My name is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too common, it's Matt.  In fact, the group I'm in, DGWP, there's another person named Matt.

Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit where somebody named their kid "Asswipe" and pronounced it az-WEEP-ay.

They wondered why everybody mispronounced the name.

;D

Written By: Jessica on 11/28/04 at 9:24 pm

Hazel Patricia isn't so bad, but Phinnaeus Walter? That's pretty old fashioned. :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/04 at 9:26 pm

The one with Nicolas Cage. Rob Schneider mispronounces it delievering a telegram.
Remember the late Presidential candidate Paul Tsongas? He had a very hard time with people that mispronounced his last name, including one poor soul that pronounced it "Saunders" and "Songrass" at a fundraiser. ;D 

As for Julia, we live in a country where we can name our child whatever we like. Whatever the decision was made to name them is between them and the clergyman christening the twins. One of the priests in the Church I used to attend had to draw the line when some couple decided on "Thor", being the same as a pagan god of Thunder. :-\\

Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit where somebody named their kid "Asswipe" and pronounced it az-WEEP-ay.

They wondered why everybody mispronounced the name.

;D

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 9:32 pm

Who in their right mind would name their child Phineaus? ::)

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/04 at 9:34 pm

The parents of P.T. Barnum, who's real name was Phineas. Guess that's why he only used his initials. ;D

Who in their right mind would name their child Phineaus? ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 9:37 pm

Hazel Patricia Roberts? That doesn't sound that bad. :P

Howard

Written By: A_Shy_Beauty on 11/28/04 at 9:39 pm

I luv Julia Roberts ... but, those are the "WORSE" names ... I've heard in a while ... aside, from ... "Apple" ...  :o

Geez, what was she thinking ... maybe, she was still in "PAIN" ...  :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/04 at 9:44 pm

Is it better than, let's say, Coco Arquette (or Coco Cox-Arquette)?
I luv Julia Roberts ... but, those are the "WORSE" names ... I've heard in a while ... aside, from ... "Apple" ...  :o

Geez, what was she thinking ... maybe, she was still in "PAIN" ...  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 9:58 pm

now that's even a more stupider name. ::)

Howard

Written By: A_Shy_Beauty on 11/28/04 at 10:06 pm

No, I think Julia's twins name ... make "Coco" sound normal ... if that's possible ...  :o ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/04 at 10:33 pm

Exactamundo, Howard!!! ;D

now that's even a more stupider name. ::)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/04 at 11:10 pm

Dear sweet Helen Hunt, I thought that Apple was a bad name, Phinnaeus is comes close! Hope the kid plans on seeing a psychiatrist in the near future.. he'll need one!  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/29/04 at 1:28 am

Quite frankly, I like different names. IMHO, I'm tired of the same old boring mainstream names.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/04 at 10:37 am

At least they're name names, not "Moon Puppy" and "Tree Child" or something.

Written By: karen on 11/29/04 at 12:32 pm

What's wrong with Hazel I'd like to know?  It's my middle name  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/04 at 1:10 pm

Dear sweet Helen Hunt, I thought that Apple was a bad name, Phinnaeus is comes close! Hope the kid plans on seeing a psychiatrist in the near future.. he'll need one!  ::)

I knew of a hippie kid who went to Hampshire College a while back, her name was "Tomato Joplin Weisberg"!

A buddy of mine named his daughter "Hendrix Rose."  He's an old hippie.  He said he wanted something "messianic" but not Christian.
::)
The good news is these kids often go to progressive schools where a lot of the other kids have weird names too!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 1:43 pm

I knew of a hippie kid who went to Hampshire College a while back, her name was "Tomato Joplin Weisberg"!

A buddy of mine named his daughter "Hendrix Rose."  He's an old hippie.  He said he wanted something "messianic" but not Christian.
The good news is these kids often go to progressive schools where a lot of the other kids have weird names too!

I give all my friends the same advice whenever they have kids... don't give them weird names, leave that to the celebrites!!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/29/04 at 2:26 pm

Hey, If I ever decided to have a child and it's a girl, I'd like to name her Europa... after the Thomas Dolby song Europa and the Pirate Twins :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/29/04 at 2:36 pm

Phinnaeus was a good name in the 1800's...hey at least the names are better than Dweezil or Moon Unit :D

Written By: Marian on 11/29/04 at 3:45 pm

There's really nothing wrong with names that are different, that just goes to show you how closed-minded some people are.  Kids will be kids, but adults should know better.  Me on the other hand, my son's name is Alejandro, that's Alexander in spanish.  I wanted a name that was different but not out of this world.  I also wanted Santiago or Mathias.  But I also like Isaac and Serena for a girl.  I didn't want no plaing names like John, Jeff, or Mike.  Not to diss anyone's name.   But names like that are too common.  My girlfreind wanted to name him after me, but I didn't want to.  My name is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too common, it's Matt.  In fact, the group I'm in, DGWP, there's another person named Matt.
Isaac is Don Everly's first name.Cheers!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 11/29/04 at 4:52 pm

Phinneaus Walter Roberts? :o ;D

Howard

Their last names are Moder, not Roberts....not that it helps at all.  I dunno, Hazel just reminds me of an old lady and I can't figure out how you pronounce the boy name..  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/04 at 5:23 pm

Well, thank goodness that Helen Hunt did not name her child...

-Mike

-Fox

-Seal

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 5:31 pm

Phinnaeus was a good name in the 1800's...hey at least the names are better than Dweezil or Moon Unit :D

Don't get me started on that one...  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/29/04 at 8:27 pm

No, I think Julia's twins name ... make "Coco" sound normal ... if that's possible ...  :o ;)

imagine if Julia named the child Coco Roberts? ;D :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 9:34 pm

Howard

LOL!!!!!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/30/04 at 1:00 am

I can't figure out how you pronounce the boy name..  ???

Probably similar to "Phineas Fogg", the hero of Around The World In 80 Days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/04 at 7:12 am

Howard

Or worse, what if Courtney Cox Arquette were a close personal friend of Puffy Combs.

Then the kid might be named Coco Puff Arquette .

;D ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 11/30/04 at 12:21 pm

I'd much sooner give my child a unique, original name than an insanely overused moniker like "John" or "Mary".  It's so pathetic that people feel they have to "steal" other peoples' names because they are afraid of "intolerance" toward a child with an original name or they are just too apathetic to devise a creative name.

Written By: philbo on 11/30/04 at 1:07 pm

A magazine spokeswoman said Roberts, 37, gave birth about 3 a.m. PST (6 a.m. EST) to Phinnaeus Walter and Hazel Patricia.

They must have been thinking about this Phineas

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/04 at 5:59 pm

I went to elementary school with a kid named "Kilo."  His father was a dope dealer...I'm not kidding, it was a very f**cked up situation!!!.  When Kilo was in fourth grade, his father achieved local notoriety in a big drug bust that landed him in the pokey for several years.  You hadda feel sorry for the kid.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 6:03 pm

I went to elementary school with a kid named "Kilo."  His father was a dope dealer...I'm not kidding, it was a very f**cked up situation!!!.  When Kilo was in fourth grade, his father achieved local notoriety in a big drug bust that landed him in the pokey for several years.  You hadda feel sorry for the kid.

Okkkkkkkkk.......  ::)

Written By: philbo on 11/30/04 at 6:29 pm

I went to elementary school with a kid named "Kilo." His father was a dope dealer...

Yeah, the father probably realized how much the kid was going to cost him ::)

Written By: Jessica on 11/30/04 at 7:38 pm

Holy cr*p, what a coincidence! My uncle's name is Tranquiliano (or something like that), but everyone calls him Kilo!

And yeah, it's probably because he used to deal drugs. :P ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/30/04 at 10:17 pm

Or worse, what if Courtney Cox Arquette were a close personal friend of Puffy Combs.

Then the kid might be named Coco Puff Arquette .

;D ;D

That's worse than Mimi Carrey. ;D ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 12:08 am

That's worse than Mimi Carrey. ;D ;D

Howard

Or Apple Paltrow Martin?  ::)

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/01/04 at 4:50 am

Quite frankly, I like different names. IMHO, I'm tired of the same old boring mainstream names.

Tanya
\

Yes.  Exactly. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 9:18 am

The famous soundtrack composer Hans Zimmer named his daughter Zoe,
Zoe Zimmer!

I agree with giving children an usual names, but let's not make school hell for them!  Sure, you don't want to be like France, where every other kid is named Jean-Paul or Paul-Jean.

Written By: karen on 12/01/04 at 9:32 am

I agree with giving children an usual names, but let's not make school hell for them!  Sure, you don't want to be like France, where every other kid is named Jean-Paul or Paul-Jean.

I think this is probably my take on it.  An unusual name is fine but ridiculous names are not.  Weird spellings of common names are also no-no's as far as I'm concerned.

My daughter's first name (Elizabeth) was chosen because we hoped that it wouldn't be that common but it would be a name people know.  Turns out to be coming more popular again so there are one or two more in her year group.

Likewise with my son's name (James).  We felt it wasn't that common at the time we chose it but still there is one more in his nursery class.

Still not as bad as my name when I was at school.  Each class would have two or three Karens in it.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/01/04 at 10:07 am

Personally I dont understand why everyone gets in such an uproar over what people name their kids.

They aren't your kids - and its not your name - so how the heck does it affect and offend you so deeply ?

I have a fairly uncommon name.  I was the only one in any of my primary schools and high schools and have only ever met on other with different spelling in any of my workplaces.

As I sat in a classroom surrounded by a dozen Traceys and 4 Sharons and I think 6 Amanda's - believe me - I really enjoyed having the only "different" name.

These days there are a few more in the younger generation - but I dont meet many my age and older (except in Sweden where it is as common as John or Jane !!!!!) with the same spelling.

I now work in a team of 15 people - 3 of whom are named Lisa and 2 are Michelle ! That many multiples in just 15 people is hilarious !

So while I am not named Apple or even Phinneas - I love that my mum and dad chose a name that isnt the same as everyone else in my team.  Team meetings are confusing enough with all the Lisa's and Michelles !!!!!!!!!! 

BTW - cant find the post where someone wanted to know how to pronounce Phinneas (in its various spellings) - its FIN-EE-US.  Young boys are generally shortened to Fin.  It was a very popular turn of the century name in UK and Europe and according to an article I read last month - many names that were almost extinct are making comebacks in the past year or two.

As for Hazel - its a gorgeous name and I have two friends - one in her 40s and one is a late teen - so its not just an "old lady" name.

And Apple - well every kid in grade one will learn her name first wont they - A is for Apple. 

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 9:30 pm

Or Apple Paltrow Martin?  ::)

or Prince Michael. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 9:31 pm

or Prince Michael. ;D

Howard

Or... Blanket?  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 9:35 pm

Here's a list of weird celebrity baby names... WARNING.... SOME OF THESE NAMES ARE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WEIRD!  ::)  ;D

Apple: Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin
BreAzia Ranee: Olympia Scott-Richardson
Camera: Arthur Ashe
Coco: Courteney Cox & David Arquette
Daisy Boo: Jamie Oliver
Gaia: Emma Thompson
Heaven: Lil' Mo
Heavenly Hirrani Tiger Lily: Paula Yates & Michael Hutchence
Jaz: Steffi Gram & Andre Agassi
Maesa: Bill Pullman
Paloma: Emilio Estevez
Poppy Honey: Jamie Oliver
Rainbow: Ving Rhames
Sailor: Christie Brinkley
Sosie: Kyra Sedgwick & Kevin Bacon
Zola Ivy: Eddie Murphy

Aurelius Cy: Elle MacPherson
Banjo: Rachel Griffiths
Diezel Ky: Toni Braxton
Denim: Toni Braxton
Eja: Shania Twain & Mutt Lange
Ellery: Laura Dern & Ben Harper
Freedom: Ving Rhames
Fuddy: Damon Wayans
Gulliver: Gary Oldman
Hopper: Robin Wright-Penn & Sean Penn
Jett: Kelly Preston & John Travolta
Kit: Jodie Foster
Kyd Miller: Téa Leoni & David Duchovny
Loewy: John Malkovich
Maddox: Angelina Jolie
Maile: Wayne Brady

Maison: Rob Thomas
Pilot Inspektor: Jason Lee
Rebop: Todd Rundgren
Rocco: Madonna & Guy Richie
Romeo: Victoria Adams Beckham & David Beckham
Ryker: Forbes Riley
Seven: Erykah Badu
Speck Wildhorse: Elaine Irwin & John Cougar Mellencamp
Wolfgang: Valerie Bertinelli & Eddie Van Halen

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 9:38 pm

Or... Blanket?  ::)  ;D

Blanket Jackson? ;D ;D

Howard

Written By: JamesMcDone on 12/01/04 at 9:54 pm

- Simon Le Bon has two daughter's names Saffron Sahara and Tallulah Pine
- Clint Eastwood daughter's name is Kimber
- Liam Gallagher's son is Lennon
- Rob Morrow's daughter is Tu
- Erykah Badu named her son Seven
- Bono called one of his kids Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 9:56 pm

My favorite is....... Pilot Inspektor.  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamesMcDone on 12/01/04 at 10:07 pm

They should confront their parant and ask them, "How come I have the stupidist name of all time,  thank you mom and dad for being druck at the time.  I can't wait untill I'm 18 so that I can take you two to court and 1) change my name and 2) change your names and see how you feel."

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  >:(  :(  :o  8)  ???  ::)  :P  :-[  :-X  :-\\  :-*  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/04 at 1:28 pm

She stole that name from George Costanza of Seinfeld fame.  :P

Written By: gemini61 on 12/02/04 at 5:24 pm

If I would have known 16 years ago that so many people were naming their kids the same name I named my daughter, I would have picked something a little more uncommon. Now she's always asking me why I didn't name her something different  :( 

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 5:53 pm

Wolfgang Van Halen? :o

Rebop Rundgren? :o

Howard

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 12/04/04 at 8:04 pm

Okay, ya'll have some funny responses to this!   ;D
I haven't been in lately so I just wanted to "check in" on people's responses.  And I gotta say many of them really made me laugh.

Personally, I have no "problem" with anyone naming their kids whatever they want.  I certainly wouldn't want someone telling me what to name my kids.( and believe me, I had to go against some on my choices too)  so for the people who were freaking out about my opinion on the subject, just know that as I stated originally, it was MY OPINION.  I simply wish people, particularly celebrities (only because they are already massive tabloid fodder,like it or not and are always raising eyebrows with something) would really THINK about what they are doing to their kids, and not just try to "out wierd" the last celebrity's birth name!  ;) I don't care what they name the child..but sometimes it almost seems like they are in some contest or something to pick out the most unusual name available.(okay well, except maybe Pilot Inspektor..what in  the HECK is that all about, really??) ???

Well, I guess that Liv Tyler hasn't had her baby yet the last time I checked..so maybe there's hope...maybe?  :-\\

Oh and for what it's worth, at least partially, the twins were named after family members..I guess "Patricia" was his deceased mother's name and "Walter" was her desceased father's name, or something along those lines.  At least that's what I heard on ET...  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 12:29 pm

She stole that name from George Costanza of Seinfeld fame.  :P

There was a kid on Married With Children that had the same name too!  ::)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/05/04 at 3:23 pm

I live in one of those parts of Maine where a lot of the families branch off from the Franco-American community of Lewiston/Auburn.
Believe me, while in school, I saw my share of off the wall french last names and yes, a few Jean-Pauls. 

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 12/09/04 at 11:16 pm

Okay...just feel of all people I should be the one to mention that a star HAS named their child with no "oddness" to speak of..

Chynna Phillips and her husband, actor Billy Baldwin, just had a daughter and they named her Brooke Michelle.   :)

Written By: Marian on 12/10/04 at 4:49 pm

- Simon Le Bon has two daughter's names Saffron Sahara and Tallulah Pine
- Clint Eastwood daughter's name is Kimber
- Liam Gallagher's son is Lennon
- Rob Morrow's daughter is Tu
- Bono called one of his kids Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q
:DMy late doggie was named Kimber!

Written By: alana on 12/19/04 at 10:58 pm

I think the worst celebrity child name is ROMEO, who is the son of David and Victoria Beckham. Just leave it to the kid if HE actually turns out to be a ladies man when he's 25-40 years old...

Written By: philbo on 12/20/04 at 3:25 pm

I think the worst celebrity child name is ROMEO, who is the son of David and Victoria Beckham. Just leave it to the kid if HE actually turns out to be a ladies man when he's 25-40 years old...

Well, according to the interview their first son (or is it a daughter?), "Brooklyn" was so named after the place he was conceived - the interviewer's next question was "And what were you doing there?" :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/20/04 at 5:31 pm

Even though a good portion of those names made me laugh(Banjo...hehe), I do envy them for the simple fact that they have names which are fairly easy to pronounce...unlike me.

you know how many times I've had my name butchered! One teacher of mine actually had the audacity to change the spelling of my name so it looked more American. When I didn't comply, she took 5pts off of every test that I signed my name on.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/22/04 at 7:24 am

Even though a good portion of those names made me laugh(Banjo...hehe),

You will be happy to know Rachel Griffiths did not name her bub after a musical instrument. She wanted the aussiest name she could think of as she was feeling homesick.
He is named after Australia's greatest ever bush poet Andrew Barton "Banjo" Patterson (1864–1941).

And she has said in an interview that if young Banjo doesnt like his name he can shorten it to Jo.

Written By: saver on 12/22/04 at 3:51 pm

Remembering the character from the Myan Biallick show was called 'Six'..I guess "Seven" is better?
But wouldn't it be righteus to name a girl 'TEN' so hopefully she will be one when she growws up?

Have you heard of Croey Feldmans' new tot?...."ZEN"

Written By: brentles on 12/22/04 at 6:37 pm

im gonna name my kids dweezil and moon unit, if its good enuf for frank its good enuf for me

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/21/05 at 11:59 pm

I'm gonna name my kids Pookie, Bubba and NayNay! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/05 at 12:28 am

You'd think with all the effed-up names in the Star Wars series, George Lucas's kids would have some weird-azz monikers, but they don't.  They're called Amanda and Katie.  Now, he adopted a son in 1993 and named him "Jett."  Kinda weird, but at least it's not "Jett" not "Boba Fett"!
All his kids are adopted, lucky bastids! 

Check for new replies or respond here...