inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bad Christmas Movies

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 11:24 am

A local newspaper ran an article about bad holiday movies, and I am wondering which holiday movies leave a bad taste in your mouth?  I would say Santa Claus: The Movie, Jingle All The Way, and Jack Frost (not the Michael Keaton version, but the one with a killer snow man.)

The newspaper list includes:

1.  Santa Claus: The Movie
2.  Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
3.  Silent Night, Deadly Night
4.  The Grinch
5.  Jack Frost (the Michael Keaton version)
6.  Jingle All The Way
7.  Blizzard
8.  The Santa Clause 2
9.  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (A film that I happen to like!  >:()
10. Home Alone 3
11. Star Wars Holiday Special

http://jam.canoe.ca/JamVideo/dec5_xmas-sun.html

Subject: Re: Bad Christmas Movies

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/06/04 at 11:34 am

Dont know it is called but Bill Goldberg has recently filmed, or is filiming some movie like... SANTA KLAUZZZ! Sounds awful, and it has Goldberg in it so it must be

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 11:35 am

Dont know it is called but Bill Goldberg has recently filmed, or is filiming some movie like... SANTA KLAUZZZ! Sounds awful, and it has Goldberg in it so it must be

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that sounds like a cheesy movie!  :D  ::)  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/06/04 at 11:36 am

Yeah, im not sure if he ruins christmas or saves it.. but yeah.. straight to video

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/06/04 at 11:47 am

How about "I'll Be Home For Christmas"?

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/06/04 at 11:51 am

I didn't really like the revamping of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I thought it was cool when it first came out and I have it on DVD, but it's not that great. I like the first two Home Alone movies and A Christmas Story better.
Also, I don't care how CLASSIC it is, I am so SICK of It's a Wonderful Life. It's public domain so EVERYBODY shows it. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/06/04 at 12:08 pm

You are so dead on with the assestment of The Grinch, AngelFaitore. Dr. Suess books should never be turned into live movie junk. :-X
I didn't really like the revamping of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I thought it was cool when it first came out and I have it on DVD, but it's not that great. I like the first two Home Alone movies and A Christmas Story better.
Also, I don't care how CLASSIC it is, I am so SICK of It's a Wonderful Life. It's public domain so EVERYBODY shows it. 

Written By: karen on 12/06/04 at 12:16 pm

We daren't mention The Grinch film in our house in case it sets my son off.  This was the first film he really took much notice of but we had to explain bits of it.  He wasn't quite 2 when he saw it.  After that whenever he heard a hint of it he would say "It's not the real santa claus, it's a grinch"  slight pause, then "He's naughty.  he stole christmas" " he took all the presents"  Cute the first couple of times, though the novelty soon wore off.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 5:30 pm

The show It's a Wonderful Life on "every" channell during the holidays.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/04 at 7:23 pm

I find all the "Home Alone"s annoying.  :P  The only christmas movie I make a point of watching
is "A Christmas Carol"  One of the ones out of the thirties of forties.  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/06/04 at 7:27 pm

I can't believe Christmas Vacation is on the list. That movie's funny as hell!

But, I agree with the others.

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/04 at 7:43 pm

Never liked any of the Home Alone movies. I thought the first one was bad enough but then they had to make a couple of sequals. AAAAUUUUHHHHHHGGGGG!!!!  Yeah, they really over-played "It's A Wonderful Life". It is a good movie but how many times can you really watch it? There was a time when it was on just about every channel at any given time. Nothing like watching it 24/7.  ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/04 at 7:56 pm

Never liked any of the Home Alone movies. I thought the first one was bad enough but then they had to make a couple of sequals. AAAAUUUUHHHHHHGGGGG!!!!   Yeah, they really over-played "It's A Wonderful Life". It is a good movie but how many times can you really watch it? There was a time when it was on just about every channel at any given time. Nothing like watching it 24/7.  ::)

Amen on "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Miracle on 34th Street," and "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."

And I don't care WHO says it's a children's classic  "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" blows.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/04 at 8:14 pm

Amen on "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Miracle on 34th Street," and "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."

And I don't care WHO says it's a children's classic  "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" blows.

I actually like Rudolph.  :-[ Now, Frosty on the other hand...

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/06/04 at 9:06 pm

Now that's gonna BOMB! :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/06/04 at 9:08 pm

I find all the "Home Alone"s annoying.   :P   The only christmas movie I make a point of watching
is "A Christmas Carol"  One of the ones out of the thirties of forties.   ;)

Home Alone,2 & 3.wasn't his best but they were ok for Christmas :P

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/07/04 at 8:02 am

oh god Home along 2 & 3 made me want to.. i dunno hit myself in the face with a tin of paint  ;D

Written By: karen on 12/07/04 at 8:30 am

Good job my dad doesn't read these boards.  He would have heart failure at such sacrilege!  He has every video version of Miracle on 34th Street and watches at least one version every Christmas with It's a WOnderful Life as dessert!

Surprised no ones mentioned The Snowman (based on the Raymond Briggs book)although it's quite a short film I suppose and so might not qualify.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 1:11 pm

oh god Home along 2 & 3 made me want to.. i dunno hit myself in the face with a tin of paint  ;D

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuchhhhhh....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/07/04 at 8:04 pm

How about the myriad of versions of "A Christmas Carol"? The Allistair Sim and George C. Scott versions were alright, and "Scrooged" was funny. But the rest of them blow. And "It Happened One Christmas: with Marlo Thomas in a TV version of "It's A Wonderful Life", was really the worst ever.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:06 pm

How about "The Night They Saved Christmas"? ???
Ernest Saves Christmas?

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 9:33 pm

How about "The Night They Saved Christmas"? ???
Ernest Saves Christmas?

Howard

Hey........ I love Ernest Saves Christmas!!!!!  >:(  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:35 pm

Hey........ I love Ernest Saves Christmas!!!!!  >:(   :\'(

Oh I'm sorry Jamie.I didn't know. ;D

weren't all Ernest movies bad?

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 9:44 pm

Oh I'm sorry Jamie.I didn't know. ;D

weren't all Ernest movies bad?

Howard

Just the later ones...  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:49 pm

Just the later ones...  ::)  ;D

did you happen to see Ernest Goes To Africa?

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 12/07/04 at 10:00 pm

How about the myriad of versions of "A Christmas Carol"? The Allister Sim and George C. Scott versions were alright, and "Scrooged" was funny. But the rest of them blow. And "It Happened One Christmas: with Marlo Thomas in a TV version of "It's A Wonderful Life", was really the worst ever.

Thanks for mentioning it. That 1951, "A Christmas Carol" (aka,"Scrooge") with Alastair Sim is the best.
;)

Written By: zcrito on 12/07/04 at 10:07 pm

I may be wrong, but there are probably only 4 good Christmas movies out there...

"A Christmas Story" (1983), "Comfort and Joy" (1984), "Meet John Doe" (1941) and "Scrooge" (1951).

I think I've seen "It's a Wonderful Life" too many times.

???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 10:44 pm

did you happen to see Ernest Goes To Africa?

Howard

No... thankfully.  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 10:58 pm

My favorites are:

1.  A Christmas Story
2.  A Muppet Christmas Carol
3.  How The Grinch Stole Christmas
4.  Bad Santa
5.  The Ref
6.  Scrooged
7.  Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown
8.  Rudolph The Red Nose Raindeer
9.  Mickey's Christmas Carol

Written By: Mushroom on 12/10/04 at 11:51 pm

Personally, I think the best idea for a bad christmas movie is "The Night The Reindeer Died".

;D

Written By: Mushroom on 12/10/04 at 11:53 pm

My favourite Christmas movie has to be "The Nightmare Before Christmas".  Any movie with Tim Burtin-Danny Elfman is awesome in any event.

My boss is sick of this movie though.  For the last 2 years, I place it on one of the computers we have on display, to show off it's DVD player.  Last week, he told me to take it home and never play it again.  I guess he has no taste.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 12:00 am

I actually like Rudolph.  :-[ Now, Frosty on the other hand...

Cat

Yeah, Frosty's a bigtime loser, but I admit to enjoying them both very much as a child.
:-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 12:01 am

Personally, I think the best idea for a bad christmas movie is "The Night The Reindeer Died".

;D

How about "The Reindeer Hunter" with all Santa's crazy elves getting wasted and playing Russian roulette and whatnot?

Written By: Howard on 12/11/04 at 8:08 pm

How about "The Reindeer Hunter" with all Santa's crazy elves getting wasted and playing Russian roulette and whatnot?

Now that's a bad movie. :P

Howard

Written By: Mushroom on 12/11/04 at 11:49 pm

For those that do not recognize this movie, thats because it was never actually made into a movie.  This was the "Christmas Special" that Bill Murry was going to show in the movie "Scrooge".  It starred Lee Majors, as somebody who would help save Santa from terrorists.  :D

Of course, there are always the "Christmas Songs".  Some of my faves are "Christmas At Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al, and "Christmas With The Devil" by Spinal Tap.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 6:17 am

For those that do not recognize this movie, thats because it was never actually made into a movie.  This was the "Christmas Special" that Bill Murry was going to show in the movie "Scrooge".  It starred Lee Majors, as somebody who would help save Santa from terrorists.  :D

Of course, there are always the "Christmas Songs".  Some of my faves are "Christmas At Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al, and "Christmas With The Devil" by Spinal Tap.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love Christmas At Ground Zero, it's one of my favorite Weird Al songs!

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 8:03 pm

Jingle All The Way with Arnold Shwartzenagger.

Howard

Written By: Powerslave on 12/13/04 at 8:51 am

"Don't Open til Christmas" was pretty bad. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 9:25 am

Why aren't there any Chanukah movies?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/04 at 9:36 am

???

SNL did a skit about Chanukah. "I love all these Cha-NUKE-ah decorations you have" lol

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 9:43 am

SNL did a skit about Chanukah. "I love all these Cha-NUKE-ah decorations you have" lol

Cat

They also did Hanukka Harry, a Jewish Santa Claus!
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/04 at 9:45 am

They also did Hanukka Harry, a Jewish Santa Claus!
:D

Missed that one.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/13/04 at 10:48 am

???

The only one I can think of is Eight Crazy Nights.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 7:26 pm

The only one I can think of is Eight Crazy Nights.

me too.But I think that was a comedy. ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...