inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Telemarketer sends threatening letter.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 11:41 am

Telemarketer Sends Threatening Letter To Local Woman
El Paso Police Investigating Phone Call
POSTED: 7:53 pm EST December 6, 2004
UPDATED: 9:18 pm EST December 6, 2004
A local woman received a threatening letter in the mail from a telemarketer in Texas, Local 4 reported.

Jill Beyer, of Waterford Township, said she received the letter about one week after she refused to donate money in a recent call from a telemarketer.

"He wanted a donation for the veterans' association, which the veterans don't get that much of that money. That's why I wouldn't donate to him," Beyer said.

Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.

"I slammed the phone very hard," Beyer said.

The letter arrived postmarked from El Paso, Texas. The first line read, "Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address."

(Read Complete Text Of Letter)

"It makes me nervous. Obviously he's not playing with a full deck and even my kids are nervous," Beyer said.

El Paso police are reportedly taking the threat seriously and are searching for the person who sent the letter.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3976130/detail.html

Letter From Telemarketer.....

Jill Beyer,

Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address.

Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)!

So, Ms. Beyer, the next time a telemarketer calls and you don't want to be bothered, a simple "not interested" will do.

Your son or daughter or next-door neighbor's daughter could very well be a telemarketer. A handicapped, wheelchair-bound person could be a telemarketer. A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!

As they say in the telemarketing industry, "Have a good day Ms. Beyer!"

Subject: Re: Telemarketer sends threatening letter.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/07/04 at 11:56 am

Telemarketer Sends Threatening Letter To Local Woman
El Paso Police Investigating Phone Call
POSTED: 7:53 pm EST December 6, 2004
UPDATED: 9:18 pm EST December 6, 2004
A local woman received a threatening letter in the mail from a telemarketer in Texas, Local 4 reported.

Jill Beyer, of Waterford Township, said she received the letter about one week after she refused to donate money in a recent call from a telemarketer.

"He wanted a donation for the veterans' association, which the veterans don't get that much of that money. That's why I wouldn't donate to him," Beyer said.

Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.

"I slammed the phone very hard," Beyer said.

The letter arrived postmarked from El Paso, Texas. The first line read, "Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address."

(Read Complete Text Of Letter)

"It makes me nervous. Obviously he's not playing with a full deck and even my kids are nervous," Beyer said.

El Paso police are reportedly taking the threat seriously and are searching for the person who sent the letter.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3976130/detail.html

Letter From Telemarketer.....

Jill Beyer,

Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address.

Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)!

So, Ms. Beyer, the next time a telemarketer calls and you don't want to be bothered, a simple "not interested" will do.

Your son or daughter or next-door neighbor's daughter could very well be a telemarketer. A handicapped, wheelchair-bound person could be a telemarketer. A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!

As they say in the telemarketing industry, "Have a good day Ms. Beyer!"

I find MOST telemarketers to be rude but this guy wins the championship....what a loser. I hope they find him and put him in jail with a phone that never stops ringing :D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/07/04 at 12:22 pm

I might be working with a phone service soon (For a contractor's insurance company) and I certainly don't want to come off as forceful.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/04 at 12:37 pm

They've been under a lot of stress since the national "do not call" list went into effect.  Shame on us for wanting to eat our supper instead of listening to sales pitches for shabby goods and services we don't want anyway!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 1:08 pm

They've been under a lot of stress since the national "do not call" list went into effect.  Shame on us for wanting to eat our supper instead of listening to sales pitches for shabby goods and services we don't want anyway!

LOL!!!!!!!  ::)

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/07/04 at 1:55 pm

DO NOT CALL LIST

For those of you that haven't signed up yet.  You can also put cell phone numbers in too.  They will be starting that soon enough. >:(

Written By: Jessica on 12/07/04 at 2:00 pm

As Rice Cube pointed out, does this telemarketer honestly think he'll get away with sending something like that in this day and age? What a loser. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 4:46 pm

The telemarketer sounds like a real jack***.  >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/07/04 at 5:49 pm

I don't believe this pr!ck is employed with any charity or company. If he was, then he should be fired and not be allowed to work in customer service or sales. If the person organizes this charity, then there are other veterans' groups and nicer people to deal with. I just let them leave a message on my machine and delete all sales calls.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/07/04 at 7:21 pm

Speaking as someone who's done nothing but for a living, I can say that telemarketing is a very stressful and thankless job. I'm not sure that this person should have gone as far as sending a letter, but he brings up a lot of good points. Telemarketers are only trying to make a living! Yes, there could be people in wheelchairs doing it (I was one), or ex-cons, or whatnot. They're only trying to make a life for themselves. The telemarketer in question who wrote this letter was obviously under a hell of a lot of stress, as most telemarketers are.

Being rude is not necessary. A simple "not interested, thank you" is good enough.

By the way, I have spoken to a lot of rude people, both here and in the States, and I never want to go through that hell again!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 8:04 pm

I did a brief stint as a "telephone interviewer" about 12 years ago. My job was not to sell anything, but to conduct "market research studies" for hospitals. And I can see where that job can get on someone's nerves after a while, but this guy was obviously a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

The funniest thing that ever happened while I was a telemarketer was when we were doing a survey in the San Francisco area. On one call, a rather effeminate-sounding man answered the phone, and, as was standard practice, I had to ask him if he was the "male head-of-household." He said, "Can you hold on for a second," and I could hear him ask another man in the background which one of them was the "male head-of-household." They then started arguing for about 30 seconds ("I'm the male head-of-household!" "No, I'M the male head-of-household!") until finally he came back and said, "We're not interested," and hung up.
;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/07/04 at 8:15 pm

But AV, there is a difference between being rude and being bullied, and this alleged telemarketer went over that line. I don't wish him any ill-wiil, but he should definitely get a less stressful job.
Speaking as someone who's done nothing but for a living, I can say that telemarketing is a very stressful and thankless job. I'm not sure that this person should have gone as far as sending a letter, but he brings up a lot of good points. Telemarketers are only trying to make a living! Yes, there could be people in wheelchairs doing it (I was one), or ex-cons, or whatnot. They're only trying to make a life for themselves. The telemarketer in question who wrote this letter was obviously under a hell of a lot of stress, as most telemarketers are.

Being rude is not necessary. A simple "not interested, thank you" is good enough.

By the way, I have spoken to a lot of rude people, both here and in the States, and I never want to go through that hell again!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:00 pm

But,still with telemarketers you say you're not interested but then they still call you. >:(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:02 pm

DO NOT CALL LIST

For those of you that haven't signed up yet.  You can also put cell phone numbers in too.  They will be starting that soon enough. >:(

Do you think this'll work? ???

Howard

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/07/04 at 9:10 pm

Howard

If you're on the list and they call you. . .

up to a 500,000 clam fine! :o

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:19 pm

If you're on the list and they call you. . .

up to a 500,000 clam fine! :o

So,that means I can sue them? ???

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 9:32 pm

So,that means I can sue them? ???

Howard

I want too as well!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 9:36 pm

I want too as well!  ;D

sue them for as much as you want and still get the money.

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 9:44 pm

sue them for as much as you want and still get the money.

Howard

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/08/04 at 1:58 pm

But AV, there is a difference between being rude and being bullied, and this alleged telemarketer went over that line. I don't wish him any ill-wiil, but he should definitely get a less stressful job.

Exactly. If she repeatedly said no and the guy kept persisting, wouldn't hang up, etc., I see nothing wrong with her slamming the phone down on him. I probably would've cussed him out myself, but that's just me. ;D

Seriously, before the do no call list came into effect, I tried to be nice to the telemarketers. I kept reminding myself that these people are trying to do their job, cr*ppy as it may be. The only time I got rude was when they would not get off the phone, like the guy above. But I've never had the pleasure of getting anything like that woman got. :P

Written By: Elvis on 12/08/04 at 2:15 pm

Here's the cure for telemarketers... They waste our TIME so waste theirs. Simply as soon as they start their sales pitch (which is usually several minutes long) lay the phone face down on the couch or a cushion, This way you don't have to hear their spewing as they ramble on --you go back to eating supper or watching your fav TV program. When they discover after several "Hello-hello -hello's" at the end of their pitch and finally hang up- you haven't been interrupted but the seconds it took to answer and they have lost several minutes. Later at your leisure simply hang the phone back up. YOU control how to spend your valuable time they DO NOT.  For those who have had these terrible jobs- Get a REAL job! There are plenty but you may have to actually WORK!!!
PS- If I need to order what you have to sell- I"LL CALL YOU.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/08/04 at 2:38 pm

Here's the cure for telemarketers... They waste our TIME so waste theirs. Simply as soon as they start their sales pitch (which is usually several minutes long) lay the phone face down on the couch or a cushion, This way you don't have to hear their spewing as they ramble on --you go back to eating supper or watching your fav TV program. When they discover after several "Hello-hello -hello's" at the end of their pitch and finally hang up- you haven't been interrupted but the seconds it took to answer and they have lost several minutes. Later at your leisure simply hang the phone back up. YOU control how to spend your valuable time they DO NOT.  For those who have had these terrible jobs- Get a REAL job! There are plenty but you may have to actually WORK!!!

That's mean. As I said before, telemarketers are only trying to make an honest living. Suppose it was the only job you could get. Suppose you were a cripple like me and can only seem to get hired for jobs like that. You think there are other jobs out there? Try living where I live and see if you can get another job. I live in the telemarketing capital of Canada. People might not want you for any other job, but telemarketing is the easiest job to get. It is extremely stressful, too, because of people with that sort of attitude.

It might be a thankless job. It might be intrusive. It might be an annoyance to other people. But hey...it's a job, isn't it?!?!

I still totally agree with the person who wrote the letter when he said that your sister or next door neighbour, or a person in a wheelchair or whatever could be a telemarketer. Think about all this before you decide you want to be evil to another one. I understand that you people in the States are flooded with calls from telemarketers probably more than we are here. But still...show some respect. At least they're out there doing something with their lives and making some money (though not nearly enough for the sh*t they have to be put through) and not pissing away their welfare cheques on booze and drugs.

By the way...I didn't find the letter the least bit threatening except for the old "we know where you live" routine which is just silly. ::)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: AL-B on 12/08/04 at 2:53 pm

E,

As one who worked briefly in the enemy camp, let me just add some tips. These may seem minor and insignificant to most people but believe me, when you call hundreds of people day after day, week after week, there are certain things that really start to get on your nerves.

1.) As soon as you recognize that the call is from a telemarketer, immediately start acting like you are elderly and rural. Stall. Stutter a lot. Play dumb. As the King himself said, waste as much of their time as you possibly can. Telemarketers dread talking to old people (especially from the South or Midwest).

2.) Breathe through your nose into the phone. To a telemarketer, this is like nails on a chalkboard.

3.) Whenever you want the caller to repeat any part of his/her pitch, never say, "Can you repeat that?" or "Huh? or "What?" Always say (with a slight Southern accent), "Do...do WHAT now???" PRACTICE THIS LINE UNTIL YOU HAVE IT DOWN. Trust me, they hate this more than anything.

4.) Finally, when you get tired of them and want to end the call, don't just hang up on them. Say (with your slight Southern drawl) "I'm not interesting," and THEN hang up. And no, that isn't a typo, I did say "interesting." This should be the icing on the cake. After a call like that, your average telemarketer should be so frustrated and irritated that he/she will most likely need to ask his/her supervisor for a 10 minute smoke break.

Telemarketers are trained from the get-go to be cheerful and enthusiastic, but as soon as you lay that first "Do..do WHAT now?" on them I can almost guarantee that you will suck all of the joy right out of them.

FIGHT BACK AMERICA!!!

Written By: Marian on 12/08/04 at 3:17 pm

That's mean. As I said before, telemarketers are only trying to make an honest living. Suppose it was the only job you could get. Suppose you were a cripple like me and can only seem to get hired for jobs like that. You think there are other jobs out there? Try living where I live and see if you can get another job. I live in the telemarketing capital of Canada. People might not want you for any other job, but telemarketing is the easiest job to get. It is extremely stressful, too, because of people with that sort of attitude.

It might be a thankless job. It might be intrusive. It might be an annoyance to other people. But hey...it's a job, isn't it?!?!

I still totally agree with the person who wrote the letter when he said that your sister or next door neighbour, or a person in a wheelchair or whatever could be a telemarketer. Think about all this before you decide you want to be evil to another one. I understand that you people in the States are flooded with calls from telemarketers probably more than we are here. But still...show some respect. At least they're out there doing something with their lives and making some money (though not nearly enough for the sh*t they have to be put through) and not pissing away their welfare cheques on booze and drugs.

By the way...I didn't find the letter the least bit threatening except for the old "we know where you live" routine which is just silly. ::)

Absolutely Vile
8)I don't think telemarketers should harass people,but some might be as young as 16 and not as "professional" as you would like.If a kid unthinkingly says something like are you sure you don't want our services,you shouldn't say I said  no,asshole!That doesn't mean telemarketers should call the same house every single day,as a company used to call us.You would think with the number of times they called us,they would learn how to pronmounce our last name!Cheers!

Written By: Elvis on 12/08/04 at 4:32 pm

Absolutely Vile

Wanna talk about MEAN?  Stealing is mean isn't it- taking what is valuable from someone? Then telemarketing is MEAN. They steal our precious time. I am sorry you are wheelchair bound- I really am, I am very into helping those less fortunate but not the lazy. There are receptionist jobs, insurance desk jobs, hotel/motel clerks jobs, Travel agency desk jobs, Cashier jobs, I could go on just to name a few that are handicapped friendly. But to "choose" telemarketting as a job should be the bottom of the barrell. If Canada is such a dreadful place to find alternative jobs - Hey, the good ole USA is the land of opportunity. People run toward us everyday- while in most other countries they try to escape from. We do need to up our export of telemarketers however.
By the way Oh Canada, seen any of our lying defectors/celebrities up there, maybe they can land a good telemarketting job. Ha Ha. Poetic justice- I love It!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/08/04 at 4:53 pm

Wanna talk about MEAN?  Stealing is mean isn't it- taking what is valuable from someone? Then telemarketing is MEAN. They steal our precious time. I am sorry you are wheelchair bound- I really am, I am very into helping those less fortunate but not the lazy. There are receptionist jobs, insurance desk jobs, hotel/motel clerks jobs, Travel agency desk jobs, Cashier jobs, I could go on just to name a few that are handicapped friendly. But to "choose" telemarketting as a job should be the bottom of the barrell. If Canada is such a dreadful place to find alternative jobs - Hey, the good ole USA is the land of opportunity. People run toward us everyday- while in most other countries they try to escape from. We do need to up our export of telemarketers however.
By the way Oh Canada, seen any of our lying defectors/celebrities up there, maybe they can land a good telemarketting job. Ha Ha. Poetic justice- I love It!

I AM NOT LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you even insinuate that!!!!!!!! And I don't want your sympathy, thank you very much! Yeah there are jobs out there for people who want to hire us. You don't know what it's like 'til you've been in my shoes. And Canada is a great country. Just the city I live in sucks. Still, I'd rather live here than in the States. As for moving... I'd love to sometime, to a different city probably. You certainly won't see me running (OK, wheeling) to the States anytime soon! Only perhaps to do some shopping...

That's it... I've had enough...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/04 at 7:23 pm

How did this turn into the political thread again? :-\\

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/08/04 at 7:25 pm

I don't know, but I want it to stop. I thought I escaped the mud-slinging when the political thread got segregated! :(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/04 at 7:34 pm

I don't blame you. 8)

I don't know, but I want it to stop. I thought I escaped the mud-slinging when the political thread got segregated! :(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/08/04 at 7:38 pm

Good question....  :o

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/08/04 at 7:42 pm

I used to work for a Tele-Marketing firm.. for a short period of time.. so many of them are jerk offs.

However, it does annoy you when people are rude, we only called people who's numbers were allowed to be called, and i for one was always very polite.. so many people just chewed you out and when it happens 100 times a day it ain't fun. However, i didn't feel a desire to send threatening letters.

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/08/04 at 7:48 pm

DO NOT CALL LIST

LOL, that list is a big joke! We get calls all the time. Sometimeshe same people 3 or 4 times a day!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/08/04 at 7:49 pm

Yeah, they often have several names for the same number.. we did..

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/08/04 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, they often have several names for the same number.. we did..

Plus I don't list my cell phone on anythign so, theres no need to put it on that list.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/04 at 8:03 pm

Howard

It works great, Howard.  I have been on the list since it came into being and don't get any telemarketers calling.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 8:59 pm

It works great, Howard.  I have been on the list since it came into being and don't get any telemarketers calling.

maybe that's what our Family needs at 6pm when it's time to eat dinner. >:(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 9:02 pm

A year ago,I was on the phone with a telemarketer for a half hour almost. ::)

Howard

Written By: Marian on 12/08/04 at 9:06 pm

A year ago,I was on the phone with a telemarketer for a half hour almost. ::)

Howard
???Was it their fault,or did you pretend to order something ,giving a fake name ,address,etc,or pretend not to speak English fluently,or something like that? ;)You can tell us,c'mon!LOl Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 9:15 pm

???Was it their fault,or did you pretend to order something ,giving a fake name ,address,etc,or pretend not to speak English fluently,or something like that? ;)You can tell us,c'mon!LOl Cheers!

They wanted me to participate in a survey.I forgot what it was about. ::)

Howard

Written By: Marian on 12/08/04 at 9:57 pm

They wanted me to participate in a survey.I forgot what it was about. ::)

Howard
;Dwas it about whaty kind of underwear you like to wear,or something like thatCheers!

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 10:11 pm

;Dwas it about whaty kind of underwear you like to wear,or something like thatCheers!

tell you the truth,I wouldn't know. :-\\

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/04 at 11:42 pm

I used to work for the relay service that helps deaf people who use TTY machines talk to regular phone users.  We had to ask everyone we called if they knew how to use the relay service, and if they didn't we had to give them the ADA approved schpiel.  The unitiated often thought WE were telemarketers trying to sell THEM something.  We couldn't just say, "look, I've got a deaf guy on the line, I'm helping him make a telephone call."
Very frustrating!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 6:59 am

The best things to do with Telemarketers ~ Part One:

1) Pick up the phone and answer in perfect English, then as soon as they start off just start talking gobbledygook. My favorite is to just repeat, louder and louder a made up word. I use ES-PAS-TIS-STOCH!

2) When they start the big long drone, say hold on let me get a pen and paper and then leave the phone, just go back to it when you want to make a call. Some of them will wait 10-15 minuets.

3) Pretend you can't hear what they are saying and talk louder and louder, or my favorite, get very quiet, move the phone away, further, further, further and then put it right up to your mouth and shout the next sentence down the phone.

4) As they are talking, if you have a touch tone phone, just press Random button combinations.\

5) Make an odd noise and ask them to stop making noises.

& Finally 6) Yawn all the way through there little speech and then cheer and hang up.

This is of course if you get somebody who launches in to there schpiel straight away, if whoever it is, is polite enough to say hello sir/madame, im calling from etc etc (like i always freakin did) then do what you want but remember, they are just trying to pay the bills.

Written By: karen on 12/09/04 at 7:14 am

Howard

Do you mean you don't know what kind of underwear you wear?  :o Or just that you don't know what the survey was about?  :)

Written By: Elvis on 12/09/04 at 8:53 am

I AM NOT LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you even insinuate that!!!!!!!! And I don't want your sympathy, thank you very much! Yeah there are jobs out there for people who want to hire us. You don't know what it's like 'til you've been in my shoes. And Canada is a great country. Just the city I live in sucks. Still, I'd rather live here than in the States. As for moving... I'd love to sometime, to a different city probably. You certainly won't see me running (OK, wheeling) to the States anytime soon! Only perhaps to do some shopping...

That's it... I've had enough...

Absolutely Vile

Once again I must explain to someone who has a chip on their shoulder... I did not call YOU lazy just telemarketers- read it again if you must.
I wasn't being overly sympathetic either I admire you for wanting to work - I was just showing you some alternatives, Too bad Canada only hires the handi capped for telemarketting jobs, here in America there are several other choices. Where you live is up to you, with your quick temper, your one sided view about what is mean and what is someone hassling you and your ill regards for the USA the greatest nation on earth it's best you stay there and look around for that "different city" you wanted to move to and then when you can't find that one then another then another and then you'll realize "Hey, America is the real deal." Sorry to ruffle your feathers and I do hope you find some peace in your emotional storm and as for getting politica guysl- Don't get me started.... I'll rip you guys to shreds with the truth.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/09/04 at 9:02 am

Too bad Canada only hires the handi capped for telemarketting jobs, here in America there are several other choices.

That's not true at all. In fact, in every place I've worked, I've either been the only one or one of few.

Where you live is up to you, with your quick temper, your one sided view about what is mean and what is someone hassling you and your ill regards for the USA the greatest nation on earth it's best you stay there and look around for that "different city" you wanted to move to and then when you can't find that one then another then another and then you'll realize "Hey, America is the real deal." Sorry to ruffle your feathers and I do hope you find some peace in your emotional storm and as for getting politica guysl- Don't get me started.... I'll rip you guys to shreds with the truth.

Like I said, I've had enough. I've got better things to do than to sit here and be insulted. Also, to argue about what the greatest country in the world is, is just stupid. Everyone has their own opinions. I have mine and it's never going to change.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Elvis on 12/09/04 at 10:30 am

Hey Ab- Vile,

We finally agree it is stupid to argue about what is the greatest country on earth- when it's so obvious. I'm glad you have better things to do- life should be full of such things it's good to stay busy. As for insulting you- never! Just lazy telemarketers who insult our intelligence and our time.
Suppose you are expecting an important call, the phone rings you grab it! It's a telemarketer. Suppose you are eating supper and you have to answer the phone or your favorite show is on -the phone rings, or your neww born is about to say -MaMa for the first time -The phone rings, TELEMARKETER!!! Life is a jourmey not an interruption. Thank God for caller ID and answering machines that delete. I have never been verbally rude to a tele-terrorist but my method i've used and wrote about in my "how to" thread earlier works best because they get a taste of their own medicine of how it feels to have moments stolen from your life. Cheer up Canada, don't get so mad over different views- just respect people's privacy and opinions but feel free to debate anytime. 

Written By: Howard on 12/09/04 at 5:50 pm

Howard

Do you mean you don't know what kind of underwear you wear?  :o Or just that you don't know what the survey was about?  :)

I don't know what the survey was about. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/09/04 at 5:52 pm

The best things to do with Telemarketers ~ Part One:

1) Pick up the phone and answer in perfect English, then as soon as they start off just start talking gobbledygook. My favorite is to just repeat, louder and louder a made up word. I use ES-PAS-TIS-STOCH!

2) When they start the big long drone, say hold on let me get a pen and paper and then leave the phone, just go back to it when you want to make a call. Some of them will wait 10-15 minuets.

3) Pretend you can't hear what they are saying and talk louder and louder, or my favorite, get very quiet, move the phone away, further, further, further and then put it right up to your mouth and shout the next sentence down the phone.

4) As they are talking, if you have a touch tone phone, just press Random button combinations.\

5) Make an odd noise and ask them to stop making noises.

& Finally 6) Yawn all the way through there little speech and then cheer and hang up.

This is of course if you get somebody who launches in to there schpiel straight away, if whoever it is, is polite enough to say hello sir/madame, im calling from etc etc (like i always freakin did) then do what you want but remember, they are just trying to pay the bills.

I'd choose #4.random buttons work for me.Maybe they'll get the idea and hang up. ::)

Howard

Written By: Marian on 12/10/04 at 4:46 pm

I'd choose #4.random buttons work for me.Maybe they'll get the idea and hang up. ::)

Howard
how about singing a string of Spanish obscenities to the tune of "Jingle Bells"? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/10/04 at 5:16 pm

how about singing a string of Spanish obscenities to the tune of "Jingle Bells"? ;D ;D ;D

A friend of mine's mother always tries to sell things to the really pushy ones! "For a limited time I have auminum foil on sale. ITs 50% off! Why can't you talk now? Well try not calling at dinner next time?" Thats normally how hte conversation ends, unless the person hangs up!

Written By: Howard on 12/10/04 at 6:18 pm

or just say if they call again and they ask for your parents,say my parents both passed away,hopefully it works.I don't know if it's the best answer but it could work. ::)

Howard

Written By: joedeertae on 12/11/04 at 6:47 pm

Same here and we haven't had ANY telemarketers calling either. If only we could get a spam filter that works that good for our e-mail! ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/11/04 at 7:45 pm

be prepared because telemarketers will be calling on your cell phone. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/11/04 at 7:46 pm

Same here and we haven't had ANY telemarketers calling either. If only we could get a spam filter that works that good for our e-mail! ;D

Yeah,that would be the day. ::)

Howard

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/12/04 at 3:35 pm

or just say if they call again and they ask for your parents,say my parents both passed away,hopefully it works.I don't know if it's the best answer but it could work. ::)

Howard

You could start crying uncontrollably about your dead animals?

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 7:57 pm

You could start crying uncontrollably about your dead animals?

that wouldn't work.The dead parents joke works. ;D

Howard

Written By: ganjacat on 12/23/04 at 10:37 pm

Ha ha ha I actually do that. I'm from Calgary, so I do a fake Western cowboy accent. Claiming that I'm a WWII vet, and a concusion grenade went off beside my head (saving private ryan), and that my hearing comes and goes. I don't think my young voice is convincing enough though. But neverless. These Nova Scotians and Newfies (the so called telemarketer country). can't seem or unwilling to even go for a simple but back breaking dishwasher job. It pays honest money, and nobody swares at you. or plays mind games, like some certain WWII vet (me). ha ha ha. I like saying "naaow ma'mm you hafta speek app, Aye lost my hearing in the why-ar (war)". but no these fricking idiots from Canada Capital One keep on bloody calling me.

I even played a segment from the red stripes commercial where the Jamacian man says "Beer! wonderful Beer! Horray Beer. Beer from Jamacia!". I tell them not intrested, but no some stupid chick has to call from Nova Scotia, because she lost her job as a fishing skipper or some dumb shoot like that. Like is it my bloody fault these people don't want to get a job as a dishwasher, or busboy, or warehouse worker. It's bloody simple. 1) pair of steel toed boots 2) application to a warehouse 3) apply 4)push boxes.

It's a simple matter of young people too LAZY to do any heavy jobs. They're all tech nerds. Who can't lift a pen with out Mumps from Undergrad. sheesh show some backbone people. Like I have a crappy job. I'm going to night school so I can uncrap myself. you should do the same. no more of this. whiny, oh there are no jobs. I live in Western Calgary, the job capital, and still I have enough pride to be a dishwasher! I could have any job, including Telemarketer or door to door solicitor. There are restraunts in Nova Scotia, Halifax is a tourist spot. Hell Halifax is Sobey's HQ, get a bloody night job stocking shelves. stop being such slimes! Ohhhhh I live in Nova Scotia. The docks closed up, booo hooooo. There are no jobs except telemarketer jobs. Booo hhooooo. Stop calling decent workers (me), who actually pops a spine bone occasionally, in the fricking morning!

We don't want your low intrest credit cards. we dont' want your Visa life insurance. We do want our sleep! let us sleep!

E,

As one who worked briefly in the enemy camp, let me just add some tips. These may seem minor and insignificant to most people but believe me, when you call hundreds of people day after day, week after week, there are certain things that really start to get on your nerves.

1.) As soon as you recognize that the call is from a telemarketer, immediately start acting like you are elderly and rural. Stall. Stutter a lot. Play dumb. As the King himself said, waste as much of their time as you possibly can. Telemarketers dread talking to old people (especially from the South or Midwest).

2.) Breathe through your nose into the phone. To a telemarketer, this is like nails on a chalkboard.

3.) Whenever you want the caller to repeat any part of his/her pitch, never say, "Can you repeat that?" or "Huh? or "What?" Always say (with a slight Southern accent), "Do...do WHAT now???" PRACTICE THIS LINE UNTIL YOU HAVE IT DOWN. Trust me, they hate this more than anything.

4.) Finally, when you get tired of them and want to end the call, don't just hang up on them. Say (with your slight Southern drawl) "I'm not interesting," and THEN hang up. And no, that isn't a typo, I did say "interesting." This should be the icing on the cake. After a call like that, your average telemarketer should be so frustrated and irritated that he/she will most likely need to ask his/her supervisor for a 10 minute smoke break.

Telemarketers are trained from the get-go to be cheerful and enthusiastic, but as soon as you lay that first "Do..do WHAT now?" on them I can almost guarantee that you will suck all of the joy right out of them.

FIGHT BACK AMERICA!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...