inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst Cover Songs

Written By: woops on 12/08/04 at 3:04 am

My choice: All of the Above!  :P

Subject: Re: Worst Cover Songs

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/08/04 at 3:50 am

1. Britney Spears- My Perrogative
2.Marylin Manson- Tainted Love
3.ICP- Lets Go All The Way
4. Sixpence None the Richer- Don't Dream Its Over
5.Jessica Simpson- Take My Breath Away

Rio

Written By: sputnikcorp on 12/08/04 at 9:03 am

all of the above with honourary mention going to winger. i almost got into a fight with a kid in highschool over that song. first he had the gall to say that the song was a winger original and when i made him listen to the hendrix song he said it sucked... >:(

Written By: AL-B on 12/08/04 at 10:25 am

"Behind Blue Eyes," by Limp Bizkit. Roger Daltrey ought to kick Fred Durst's teeth in for what he did to that song.  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/04 at 10:59 am

Other: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds-William Shatner. SCARY, SCARY, SCARY!!!! 

AAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 12/08/04 at 11:01 am

Why I don't like the cover, besides the point that only the original can do it right...MOST of the time.

Madonna "American Pie" - Don McClean wrote this song in correalation to the deaths of Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and his Coments that died in a plane crash near clear lake, Iowa. The song is supposed to have feeling and make you think, it was written as a pop dance song and I can't stand listening to Maddonnas version of it.

Marilyn Manson "Tainted Love" - Do I need to explain?

Metallica "Turn The Page" - I actually like this one, while adding in their own twist they still had the decenceny to respect the way and form Bob Seager did his song.

Sheryl Crow "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Sherly I love you and quite a few of your songs but when I hear that song I need Axl's voice..and slashe's guitar....no one should of covered that song

Limp Bizkit "Faith" - took a fun smooth fast song and made it into "YELLING" contest

Jessica Simpson "Take My Breath Away" - Everytime I hear Berlin's version I love it and it has a tingly feeling down my back that feels good, I hear Jessica Simpson's version and the "ah ah ah ah ah ah" she has inbetween each syable gives me a different feeling down my back and it's not so pleasant.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/08/04 at 11:35 am

ALL of the above...AND

Stairway To Heaven by Dolly Parton
A Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins
Missing You by Tina Turner
Without You by Pariah Carey

For starters!

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/04 at 12:15 pm

All of the above
And
Baker Street-The Foo Fighters
Peace Train-10,000 Maniacs
I Will Always Love You-Whitney Houston (Hate Dolly's original too)

Written By: Harmonica on 12/08/04 at 12:53 pm

ALL of the above...AND

For starters!

Pariah?  Mariah!

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/04 at 3:16 pm

I think that's called an intentional misprint, Harm. :-\\
Pariah?  Mariah!

Written By: woops on 12/08/04 at 6:24 pm

I actually like Mariah Carey's version "Without You", even better than the original, IMO.

and... What's a pariah?

Other mentions:

Marilyn Manson... "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" originally done by The Eurythmivs  :P

And the "Do They Know It's Christmas" cover butchered by current acts & even Bono himself, the only person from the original song to be on this mess.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/04 at 6:39 pm

pa·ri·ah    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (p-r)
n.
A social outcast: “Shortly Tom came upon the juvenile pariah of the village, Huckleberry Finn, son of the town drunkard” (Mark Twain).
An Untouchable.
From Dictionary.com

and... What's a pariah?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/08/04 at 7:14 pm

It's a drain on society, a free loader, or a parsite (kind of like Fred Durst!  ::)  ;D)

Madonna "American Pie"
Britney Spears "My Prerogative"
Limp Bizkit "Faith"
Taco "Puttin' On The Ritz"
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

Fred also mutilated "I Wish You Where Here Again"

I kind of like Sixpence Non The Richer's cover of  "Don't Dream It's Over".

My favorite is Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt.

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/08/04 at 7:36 pm

"Behind Blue Eyes," by Limp Bizkit. Roger Daltrey ought to kick Fred Durst's teeth in for what he did to that song.  >:(

That makes me cringe... :o One on here you didn'tput. Another Brickin the Wall by korn. I was incredibly ddisappointedby their past 2 covers.
As far as Marilyn Manson goes, the man can do no wrong. I too love Johnny Cash'scover of Hurt, its simply beautiful.

My picks for worst cover are:
1)  Britney Spears- My PePrerogative No one wants to hear an incredibly rich and famous celebrity complaining about how sucky it is to be rich and famous. Every time I see her I feel the urge to hurl things at my tv screen. PLPlusts her fault she gets all of that attention. 36 hour marriages seem to scream out look at me I want attention
2) Jessica Simpson - Take My Breath Away - Ugh, listen to her sing it live. It's horrendous. She seems to be attempting to to sing "soulfully"  ::)
3) Sheryl Crow -Sweet Child O' One - Yeah ummm, hmmmm, interesting Sheryl. I don't like either version, but once was enough right?
4) Madonna - American Pie - She has a way of making every song she does feel grimy, plus I'm not a fan of pop-techno-dance music anyway.
5) Korn - Word Up - As much as it pains to talk about one of my favorite bands, all I could ask was WHY? Why do this when you write such great songs.

Question: What does everyone think about A Perfect Circle's new album - Emotive. I like alot of it. Its pretty much all covers. And there all slightly depressing.

Written By: zcrito on 12/08/04 at 11:51 pm

ALL of the above...AND

For starters!

Will you ever cut Phil Collins any slack?  >:(

I liked his version of "A Groovy Kind Of Love", and I'm not really a Phil Collins fan.  ;)

Anyway out of the many songs woops listed I'll go with ALL OF THE ABOVE except: "Sixpence Non The Richer "Don't Dream It's Over".

None of them are really any good and they don't improve or add anything to the originals but to me the Sixpence one is the least offensive.

:)

Written By: philbo on 12/09/04 at 7:45 am

Madonna's American Pie is dreadful, seriously dreadful - on a par with William Shatner's Lucy in the Sky

But you missed my all-time bête noir: Britney's I Love Rock 'n' Roll

Written By: redhead007 on 12/09/04 at 1:45 pm

I picked Mariah Carey's "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and Jessica Simpson's "Take My Breath Away." As for the write-in, don't forget Jessica's other butchering of a beautiful song: "Angels" (originally by Robbie Williams). Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!  :\'( >:(

Written By: duranchick on 12/09/04 at 5:17 pm

I had to go with all of the above, but I do like Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page".

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 9:36 pm

Madonna's American Pie is dreadful, seriously dreadful - on a par with William Shatner's Lucy in the Sky

I am with you on both of them.

Written By: Mergal on 12/10/04 at 7:31 am

...I totally agree! I wanted to slap Britney for ruining such a classic tune.

BTW, I hope I didn't read correctly that Korn did a remake to Another Brick In the Wall

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/10/04 at 5:14 pm

...I totally agree! I wanted to slap Britney for ruining such a classic tune.

BTW, I hope I didn't read correctly that Korn did a remake to Another Brick In the Wall

You are soooo correct, and it is mediocre. It lacks the energy of the Korn that got me into their music.  :\'(  :\'( I forgot all about that Britney Sprears Song! That is by far the worst cover ever!  >:( I need to go listen to some real music to get the memoryof that song out of my head.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/10/04 at 5:26 pm

Band Aid 20 - Do They Know It's Christmas.

Off key and HEARTBREAKING!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...